Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

23 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

So how will limited vaccine supplies be dealt with, I'm wondering?

Gov. Cuomo gave a very impassioned speech the other day about the importance of assuring that poor people and communities of color, who often live in what he referred to as "healthcare deserts," would get the vaccine. His general theme was that we can't let those who are among the most vulnerable be the last to get access. He said he wants to work with community organizations, educational institutions, faith communities, etc. — local organizations that are trusted within their communities — to both encourage uptake and help with distribution.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2020 at 10:38 PM, MissLemon said:

My friend Michelle is not doing well.

Her husband updated that the prognosis is very poor. She is on 100% oxygen, but is only able to maintain 87% oxygen saturation. Most recent imaging shows her lungs have severe scarring and are unlikely to heal any further. She is having trouble moving CO2 out of her body.  When they have tried to decrease her sedation, her bp shoots up to 230 (sorry, I don't know the diastolic value).  On top of this, she has a bacterial pneumonia. Because of this combination of issues, she is not a good candidate for the ECMO. 

The doctor said that he's seen people come back from this situation, but not often.  She has been declining a little each day for the last several days.  Her kids and husband are going to be allowed to see her briefly tomorrow.  

If you have any prayers left, Michelle's family could use them. They need a miracle.  😢

I am so sorry.  I am holding Michelle close in my heart and prayers.  

• Thanks 1

I don't keep up with this thread very well.... It's so long!  But I check in from time to time.  @MissLemon, I'll say a prayer for Michelle.

My dd (who is going to graduate school abroad) was just diagnosed with Covid, as well as her boyfriend and another housemate who is a speech therapist at a long-term care facility.  Nearly everyone at the care facility has Covid now, and many have died.  My dd's symptoms began with a slight cough and feeling fatigued, and then 5 days later a fever with strange aches and pains.  Now she has lost all sense of smell and taste, and says her sinuses feel like they're burning.

My brother is a research scientist.  He said they're learning that fighting Covid (via vaccines) may not be so much about building up antibodies, but something else... like helping the body actually change the way it fights it.  Similar to the body's response to a measles vaccine, maybe?  Certainly I'm not explaining this well!

• Sad 5

On 11/13/2020 at 8:11 PM, Toocrazy!! said:

Well, covid hit here dramatically this last week or so. I personally know 7 people who have active cases right now. At least 6 have loss of smell. Only one had a fever.

87 year old man, a fib, completely exhausted. Completely. But otherwise no complications at this point. He’s ok day 7 or 8 of symptoms we think. Hard to tell with fatigue. 

59 year old male, asymptomatic except for slight loss of smell 

54 year old female, history of cancer but good health now- Aches, headache, loss of smell, fatigue

54 female- same. 15 days out, still exhausted. 

59 male, diabetic, aches, headache, some sugar issues, but under control 

48 male, overweight, maybe obese, no other issues, loss of smell only so far. 

51 female, no health issues, aches, sore throat, very early on in symptoms 

It’s crazy here right now. Everyone seemed to get it all at once, so it’s hard to figure out any tracing on how it started. 

All my people are doing fairly well except 87 year old male. He had to be admitted to the hospital with low oxygen numbers. They slowly fell over the last week and today were too low for too long. If you pray, please pray for him. And all the other patients that are alone in the hospital. Such a terribly sad time for all the families facing this. 

• Sad 15

1 minute ago, Toocrazy!! said:

All my people are doing fairly well except 87 year old male. He had to be admitted to the hospital with low oxygen numbers. They slowly fell over the last week and today were too low for too long. If you pray, please pray for him. And all the other patients that are alone in the hospital. Such a terribly sad time for all the families facing this. 

Sending all the positive energy. I'm really sorry 😞 . 

Did other people on your list recover or do some still have symptoms? 

7 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Bump. How is everyone doing? @Amoret and @Frances, how are your families? 

@Mrs Tiggywinkle, I hope you have a happier update soon, too, but I'd love to hear your summary so far, just for the record. 

My SIL is out of quarantine and back to work. My brother is finally steadily improving. My mom’s care for non-covid related health issues continues to be greatly impacted by being in a hotspot. Right now she has another surgery scheduled for next week, but there is a pretty good chance it will be cancelled either because of the virus or because she won’t be ready to tolerate it. Rather than spend a week or so in the hospital due to her health risks, if she does have it, there will be no hospitalization at all. All of the pre and post op care and monitoring will be done on an outpatient basis. Fortunately, she is back in her senior apartment which would be walking distance from the hospital if she were healthy. And they are allowing family members in to help her. But the hospital and clinics are back to patients and staff only.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Frances said:

My SIL is out of quarantine and back to work. My brother is finally steadily improving. My mom’s care for non-covid related health issues continues to be greatly impacted by being in a hotspot. Right now she has another surgery scheduled for next week, but there is a pretty good chance it will be cancelled either because of the virus or because she won’t be ready to tolerate it. Rather than spend a week or so in the hospital due to her health risks, if she does have it, there will be no hospitalization at all. All of the pre and post op care and monitoring will be done on an outpatient basis. Fortunately, she is back in her senior apartment which would be walking distance from the hospital if she were healthy. And they are allowing family members in to help her. But the hospital and clinics are back to patients and staff only.

Ooof. I hope she manages to get her surgery and it goes well... keep us updated. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 10:40 AM, kbutton said:

I just got word that one of my parent's cousins has COVID, and his wife passed away from it overnight. I didn't know they were ill until now. Of the two of them, I would've thought he would be the most fragile health wise. He had a mild heart attack, was in the ICU, and is now in a regular room--taking food and alert. She became ill quite fast with pneumonia, GI issues, and some kind of bleeding (maybe internally?). 

They are snowbirds and became ill almost as soon as they arrived in their home in the south. 

So, my parent's cousin is not doing well. He has double-pneumonia, and his kidneys are failing. Obviously, people have this happen and go home weeks and months later, but he has long-standing kidney issues. I think I said elsewhere in the thread, but he is 85. 

• Sad 16

Just now, kbutton said:

So, my parent's cousin is not doing well. He has double-pneumonia, and his kidneys are failing. Obviously, people have this happen and go home weeks and months later, but he has long-standing kidney issues. I think I said elsewhere in the thread, but he is 85. 

I'm really sorry to hear that. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kbutton said:

Oh no. 😞 I am hoping he pulls through!

• Thanks 1

Friend’s dd is really struggling with exhaustion and full body aches. I haven’t pressed for more details.

Dh had another friend/work associate turn up positive. I don’t know what all of her activities have been, but she says she’s taken every precaution possible, specifically because her husband has cancer. Even continuing to disinfect groceries. But it got in somehow! No real details on her condition, just her complete shock over it.

Has anyone else lost count of how many people they know who’ve been affected? It’s wearing on me.

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Friend’s dd is really struggling with exhaustion and full body aches. I haven’t pressed for more details.

Dh had another friend/work associate turn up positive. I don’t know what all of her activities have been, but she says she’s taken every precaution possible, specifically because her husband has cancer. Even continuing to disinfect groceries. But it got in somehow! No real details on her condition, just her complete shock over it.

Has anyone else lost count of how many people they know who’ve been affected? It’s wearing on me.

We’ve long since stopped disinfecting groceries, but we don’t go inside anywhere... that seems to be how it spreads. 

And yes, I’ve lost track.

33 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

We’ve long since stopped disinfecting groceries, but we don’t go inside anywhere... that seems to be how it spreads. 

And yes, I’ve lost track.

I don't think we know how it spreads totally yet. We've seen a few posts by people that they don't know where they got it, are only doing grocery pick up and no contact take out. Which makes me think maybe th groceries or food delivery?

And the spread by the pizza parlor worker in Australia - do we know if it was spread via the air and the person who got it was in the same vicinity, or could it have been from the food?

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 12:54 PM, teachermom2834 said:

My 22 yo ds called me this morning and informed me that he will be getting tested tomorrow. One of his housemates is positive with mild symptoms. He shares a small rental house with three other people. It is him, two friends and a girlfriend of one friend; all recent college grads. 

They have been pretty careful, just sticking to themselves socially. Three of the four work remotely from the house. The one who goes out to work is the one who got it. He is also the one with the live in girlfriend. So far the girlfriend has tested negative and the other two guys are getting tested in the morning. 

They all figure they are very exposed at this point. It's a small house and they do almost everything together. Instead of leaving and going to their parents' houses they are all just hunkering down in the house. They had each planned to go home for Thanksgiving but now they are planning their own holiday there together. 

I'm not terribly worried but of course I am some. It really felt like a matter of time before one of us got it.  I do feel a little vindicated in canceling my extended family Thanksgiving get together. I was willing to have my own adult children come home and risk exposure but I didn't want to expose anyone else to them and I didn't really want to expose my family to all the young adults coming in from all over. This is exactly the scenario I envisioned being dangerous and putting me at risk of hosting a superspreader event. 

So, we will wait and see. 

Quoting myself with results. My ds is positive. He has a mild cold but definitely has symptoms. He works remotely and is fine to take a Dayquil and forget about it. It isn't so bad as something that he would ever go to the doctor for. Mainly a cough and just feeling run down. 

The housemate that originally tested positive is feeling better. The girlfriend originally tested negative at the same time but has since been tested again and awaiting results. The other housemate is also awaiting results. They are all doing okay. They put up Christmas lights and decorated inside the house. All but one are able to keep working remotely. 

My best friend who lives about an hour away tested positive. Her husband got tested because he has symptoms. He was positive so she got tested and got a positive although she is totally asymptomatic. She's a high school teacher so has been in the classroom with it. Her school is careful but obviously it is still an issue. 

• Sad 4

Just now, ktgrok said:

I don't think we know how it spreads totally yet. We've seen a few posts by people that they don't know where they got it, are only doing grocery pick up and no contact take out. Which makes me think maybe th groceries or food delivery?

Maybe. People not going to doctor's offices or anywhere at all? Because we're pretty locked down, and we've still gone to the doctor. 

Just now, ktgrok said:

And the spread by the pizza parlor worker in Australia - do we know if it was spread via the air and the person who got it was in the same vicinity, or could it have been from the food?

I haven't heard about this -- let me look into it. 

• Like 1

It looks like the pizza outbreak started with someone working there: 

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronavirus/2020/11/19/south-australia-coronavirus-pizza/

They are asking people who ordered takeout to self-quarantine, but I don't think they've actually found cases this way yet. I don't remember New Zealand having much spread like this, last I looked at the data... not that it's impossible, but I've been assuming it's pretty rare. Although perhaps now that the numbers are going up in the Northeast, I should get more vigilant. 

I just found out that a business partner's parents had Corona some time ago.

I know they were being very careful, because they wanted to remain healthy in order to help care for a high risk graddaughter.

The wife had a very mild case.  The husband was in the hospital for a few days.  Both are fine now.

My business partner thinks her whole family had it, but I don't think they got tested; they just assumed because the timing was in line with the grandparents' cases.  They think maybe the youngest child got exposed playing sports, but who knows?  It hit the high-risk child worst, mainly because every time she gets sick with anything, she gets severe dizziness.  She has a pretty bad case of diabetes among other issues.  They are all well now, but continue to be careful in case they aren't immune.

It stinks that parents have to choose between what each of their kids needs to stay healthy.  But I know a lot of others are in the same boat.  One of my close relatives is a moderately high risk child, but her parents believe she would be harmed more by being locked away for months upon months.  Her mom literally has PTSD from worrying about her fragile health from her very traumatic birth to age 2.  They decided years ago that they wouldn't, couldn't live that way.  The child is super social, and also in need of various in-person interventions due to birth complications.  It's a tough decision but one I think we need to respect.

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

It stinks that parents have to choose between what each of their kids needs to stay healthy.  But I know a lot of others are in the same boat.  One of my close relatives is a moderately high risk child, but her parents believe she would be harmed more by being locked away for months upon months.  Her mom literally has PTSD from worrying about her fragile health from her very traumatic birth to age 2.  They decided years ago that they wouldn't, couldn't live that way.  The child is super social, and also in need of various in-person interventions due to birth complications.  It's a tough decision but one I think we need to respect.

I can respect a variety of decisions. I haven’t had to do careful mental health balancing because my kids have been totally fine, and that’s lucky for me. Personally, I think I’d have tried to form a pod if that wasn’t the case. And I’d have avoided anyone who’s older.

4 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

@ktgrok: I don't seem to be able to find any information about the pizza bar thing. Any idea if they got delivery or were IN the restaurant? Because that would be good data. 

2 cases of surface contact spread. 

Firstly the cleaner at a medihotel got it from a surface and spread it to a security guard. The security guard had another job working at a pizza shop. Someone bought a pizza there and got coronavirus. He was a security guard at a different medihotel. But through genome tracing. They know who the got it from and the only time their patches crossed was at the pizza shop. 

The rapid spread with surface contact happening at least twice was significant factors in the extremely hard lockdown of all of SA for just 30 cases. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

2 cases of surface contact spread. 

Firstly the cleaner at a medihotel got it from a surface and spread it to a security guard. The security guard had another job working at a pizza shop. Someone bought a pizza there and got coronavirus. He was a security guard at a different medihotel. But through genome tracing. They know who the got it from and the only time their patches crossed was at the pizza shop. 

The rapid spread with surface contact happening at least twice was significant factors in the extremely hard lockdown of all of SA for just 30 cases. 

How do they know these were surface spread? 

I had a number of college students who have had COVID. Most have reported mild symptoms.  My university is reporting just over 1500 cases involving students, faculty, and staff since March.  We have a student body just over 10,000 and about 2500 employees.  That would mean that over 10% of the campus community has had COVID.  

Out of those 1500 cases there has been one death of a faculty member; I do not know of any pre-existing health conditions; he was active and seemed fit, but he was a male in his late 60s.  He had not been on campus and did not contract COVID from any of his work-related activities.  Only one other person has been hospitalized, and only for one day, since that statistic has been reported in August.  

The percentage of students who have become infected is about the same as the percentage of faculty/staff who have become infected.  I do not know how many of those faculty and staff have been on campus as many are working from home.  The university says that there have been no cases traced to classroom transmission.  

We had a high number of cases in August as students returned to campus.  Since then, the university numbers have been tracking at a lower rate of transmission than in the county as a whole.  

One thing I was initially surprised by was in August I thought must be teaching every student who was positive because of all of the notifications I was receiving.  Our numbers went way down in October, but are back up this month and I have not received a single notification.  The August outbreak tended to be off-campus students and a Greek dorm--upper classmen who tend to live with and take classes with friends.  The most recent outbreak has typically been on-campus students who are more likely freshman and sophomores who would be more likely to be enrolled in intro classes.  Therefore, some professors/classes are hit hard by absences and illnesses while others aren't impacted.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

@MissLemon I was thinking about your friend Michelle this morning. Hugs

Thank you.  

I wish I had a good update to give.  Michelle's family made the decision to discontinue life support today.  Her lungs were sustaining damage while on the ventilator, but were not healthy enough to discontinue the ventilator. She couldn't come off it nor could she stay on it.  The palliative care doctor helped them to come up with a plan to let her pass without pain.  

She's leaving behind a husband, 2 teens, and a really great cat, plus so many friends that loved her.  

• Sad 49

1 minute ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

I wish I had a good update to give.  Michelle's family made the decision to discontinue life support today.  Her lungs were sustaining damage while on the ventilator, but were not healthy enough to discontinue the ventilator. She couldn't come off it nor could she stay on it.  The palliative care doctor helped them to come up with a plan to let her pass without pain.  

She's leaving behind a husband, 2 teens, and a really great cat, plus so many friends that loved her.  

Godspeed to your friend. Prayers for her family. This disease is so random and cruel.

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

Oh, I am SO sorry. That's awful. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

I am so so sorry, MissLemon. 😥 So many lives have been destroyed by this horrible disease.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, elroisees said:

I'm so sorry, Miss Lemon. How horribly sad.

It really is horribly sad. She didn't want to die.  She wasn't "ready" to go; she fought to live every step of the way.  She wanted to go home and finish raising her kids.  She loved her life with her family.  This is so unfair. 

• Sad 24

2 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

It really is horribly sad. She didn't want to die.  She wasn't "ready" to go; she fought to live every step of the way.  She wanted to go home and finish raising her kids.  She loved her life with her family.  This is so unfair. 

It's terrible. Just terrible. It's so awful for her and for her family. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

I'm so sorry for your loss, and for her family and friends. She sounds like a wonderful person.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I am so, so sorry for your loss.  This is so awful.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

I am so sorry MissLemon. That's heartbreaking.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I had a number of college students who have had COVID. Most have reported mild symptoms.  My university is reporting just over 1500 cases involving students, faculty, and staff since March.  We have a student body just over 10,000 and about 2500 employees.  That would mean that over 10% of the campus community has had COVID.  

Out of those 1500 cases there has been one death of a faculty member; I do not know of any pre-existing health conditions; he was active and seemed fit, but he was a male in his late 60s.  He had not been on campus and did not contract COVID from any of his work-related activities.  Only one other person has been hospitalized, and only for one day, since that statistic has been reported in August.  

The percentage of students who have become infected is about the same as the percentage of faculty/staff who have become infected.  I do not know how many of those faculty and staff have been on campus as many are working from home.  The university says that there have been no cases traced to classroom transmission.  

We had a high number of cases in August as students returned to campus.  Since then, the university numbers have been tracking at a lower rate of transmission than in the county as a whole.  

One thing I was initially surprised by was in August I thought must be teaching every student who was positive because of all of the notifications I was receiving.  Our numbers went way down in October, but are back up this month and I have not received a single notification.  The August outbreak tended to be off-campus students and a Greek dorm--upper classmen who tend to live with and take classes with friends.  The most recent outbreak has typically been on-campus students who are more likely freshman and sophomores who would be more likely to be enrolled in intro classes.  Therefore, some professors/classes are hit hard by absences and illnesses while others aren't impacted.  

Wow.  The university where I work has 10,000 students too. We've  had ten staff infected and 86 students.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2020 at 7:34 PM, MissLemon said:

Yep! It's just a waiting game now. I expect that by this time next year, most adults in the US will have been offered the vaccine.  I don't know exactly where the trials are at for kids, though. I think Pfizer has a trial going for kids 12-16 right now, but I'm not sure.  

I have questions about how we get undocumented people vaccinated, too.  We can't simply shrug and act like it's not our problem.   

Generally speaking, the health department would handle this. We had a very high number of illegal immigrants in the area I used to live in and that was standard, no questions asked and no risk of deportation. Vaccination services through the county health board were the go to and free if one couldn’t pay.

Edited by TAFKAPastry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

I am so so sorry.  I am thinking of Michelle's family and sending them prayers.  

• Thanks 1

I don’t have a lot of details, but a young adult whose parents I know has both Covid and strep. The young adult had an emergency with throat abscesses that required surgery and some serious logistical challenges. 

It also sounds like there were initial false neg tests for both conditions.

• Sad 12

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

I don’t have a lot of details, but a young adult whose parents I know has both Covid and strep. The young adult had an emergency with throat abscesses that required surgery and some serious logistical challenges. 

It also sounds like there were initial false neg tests for both conditions.

Oh, that sounds AWFUL. How did they get both??