Menu

advice from the more cautious COVID people

ktgrok

Or, even if you are not, because your area isn't that bad, but can understand that I AM, because my area IS that bad 🙂

At this point, we have not socialized at all. 

But, we have a homeschool family we are friends with. They did take a trip to texas to help out family, but have been back for over 3 weeks now. 

-The husband is working from home, the wife doesn't work outside the house

-they mask if going to the store, etc (need to double check this, but their area now has a mask mandate.....need to see if they were before that)

-the only place they have gone is her mother's house to swim...I need to check if her mother is being cautious, masking at store, etc

Kids involved range from 3 yrs old to 11 yrs. 

Considering having them over to swim. I would allow going inside to use the bathroom as they live 45 minutes away, would want to stay a while, so would need to potty. Would have individual snack bags, labeled drinks, etc. Adults can sit 6 feet away on patio to talk, with fan on , but the kids are realistically not going to distance while playing, in the pool, etc. 

Given my state is in a spike (18 percent positive rate for the state, 15 for my county), hospitalizations are up, etc...and that this is likely to be a long long long haul..would you consider making a quaranteam with them? 

The other issue, is our risk to them. My son is working outside the home, in a vet clinic. They mask around the clients, and clients mask, but they do not always mask around each other (the employees). The doctor takes is seriously, and supposedly the other employees do as well and they all mask at stores, etc as it is mandatory here, but I can't swear what they do otherwise. And if one of them gets it, likely it will spread in the clinic. My friend is okay with this risk. My  son doesn't spend a ton of time in communal areas in our home, and doesn't hug/kiss on anyone, etc obviously. I'd have my friend's family use the other bathroom, not the one my son uses. And he wouldn't be around them, or even home most likely. But he could unknowingly spread to us and us to her family. 

What questions would you ask, and what parameters would you put in place, if you did this? Or would you do this? I know she's anxious to see people - she broke her leg in two places at the end of January, and was in a boot, unable to drive until end of March, and then the shut down happened in March before she got her boot off, so she was basically isolated months longer than anyone. And her kids and my kids get along really well. 

Also, we've always been good about communicating as far as illness - if one person's kids were sick before a playdate, even if it was just seemingly allergies, we always let the other one know so we could decide if it was better to cancel, etc. 

Sounds like you are a bigger risk to them.  Is your dh working outside the house too?   

The things I would want to know is her mom and the store making.  

Are the are getting together with anyone else or going anywhere?  

I would have to really trust the family. 

Edited by mommyoffive

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I’d be ok with bringing them into my bubble. Your bubble right now only includes your mom and her husband, right?

The biggest risk seems to be coming from your Ds, and if she is ok with that...go for it.

My bubble is just my immediate family - DH, Me, and the kids. My mom has chosen to not see us at this time, as she is super high risk. 

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Sounds like you are a bigger risk to them.  Is your dh working outside the house too?   

The things I would want to know is her mom and the store making.  

Are the are getting together with anyone else or going anywhere?  

I would have to really trust the family. 

No, DH works from home, and will for the foreseeable future. 

Yes, stores her mom would go to would require masks at this point, but I do need to know if she goes anywhere else. 

We are not seeing anyone else, not socializing with neighbors as neighbors work outside the home, with the public, etc. My sister is working outside the home, so we are not seeing her or her kids either. (I do feel terrible about even considering socializing with a friend, but not my sister/neices)

1 minute ago, Shellydon said:

I'd be okay with this.  We are careful, but if I follow the strict stay at home, my children would become seriously depressed.

My kids are not depressed at all. Annoyed, often disappointed, especially when they see the neighbor kids outside and they can't go play with them, but doing well. They play well together, and are each other's best friends. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

My kids are not depressed at all. Annoyed, often disappointed, especially when they see the neighbor kids outside and they can't go play with them, but doing well. They play well together, and are each other's best friends. 

My kids are decided NOT each other's best friend, and usually not even friends. They are sick of each other, and sick our our house.  Prior to Covid, we had co-op twice a week, Church twice a week, sports once a week and fields trips sprinkled in.  We were home maybe 1 full day a week.  They are done, done, done with being home. 

• Like 2

Like what would concern me about this is throwing caution to the wind about the kid interactions. Does she have a toddler as well?  I'd want the kids at a place where they feel like they could run and play and I wouldn't even worry about playground equipment and maintaining 6 feet at all times.  I wouldn't be comfortable with wrestling, hugging, etc.  I guess that is the piece I would think about.  Could you get together with mom first to discuss.

Our numbers are improving here and we still haven't done things like this.  But I probably will do  an outside, spaced chat with a friend next week and an outdoor spaced picnic with my mom soon too.   I have teens that are in communications with friends constantly.  They've done a few well spaced outdoor things but they don't crave it like some are because they are chatting with folks constantly.   

And to be clear, my kids were extremely active teens.  We/they were somewhere basically every single day prior to covid.  It's been an adjustment.  We have aging vulnerable parents and both DH and i have family history that may make us higher risk for covid given our current ages. Not everyone hunkered down is loving it or naturally introverted and had a natural easy transition.   

Edited by FuzzyCatz

Yeah...I defintiely need to think on it. 

And I'd only be okay with outdoor get togethers. We have a covered  patio, pool, yard with play structure and play sprinkler, etc. But they would go inside to use bathroom. I do have an exhaust fan in both bathrooms, so could run those after, and open a window, etc. Hmm. 

14 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

KT, because YOU are super concerned....I am going to agree with this.  I think that trusting someone not part of your family to follow the same measures you do all the time is going to cause you stress.  You have no idea when their non mask wearing neighbor is going to drop by their house and one member says "it's just one time, it can't hurt."  

This, and... I think if someone does end up getting sick (whether from this event or not), you are going to second-guess yourself, possibly lose trust in your friend (if you think they were not forthright in discussing their outside interactions with you). I'm just basing this on your posts on the topic, so of course I may be wrong. But that's what came to mind when I read your OP.   

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

It sounds like they essentially quarantined themselves after their trip so I wouldn't worry about that part.

I would ask about your friend's mother, if you feel like you can.  (If you don't feel comfortable asking those questions then that's another red flag for making a bubble with them.)

I would not require kids to be exactly six feet apart while swimming and playing but I would want them to have some separation and not be climbing all over each other.  So tossing a ball in the pool, fine.  Swimming fine.  Wrestling type behavior, not fine. 

16 minutes ago, marbel said:

This, and... I think if someone does end up getting sick (whether from this event or not), you are going to second-guess yourself, possibly lose trust in your friend (if you think they were not forthright in discussing their outside interactions with you). I'm just basing this on your posts on the topic, so of course I may be wrong. But that's what came to mind when I read your OP.   

This is a good point, and one I hadn't thought of. 

Also, how would I feel if one of her family members got sick, and it was tracked back to us. Ugh. 

Yea..don't know that I'm okay with it yet. Not when kids are still doing okay. 

15 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I would not recommend that mostly because of precautions I observed in my indoor gym pool which I swam the whole of June 4 days a week until the cases in my state TX went up.

How big is your pool and is it outdoor or indoors will be my first question.

It is outdoors, but small. 

Okay, I am very cautious right now, in AZ, so similar situation to you.

Yesterday maybe I would be okay with it. This is why today I'm not: 

I am letting my kids play with one neighbor friend, or was, until I found out their family's "not going anywhere" "wearing masks" "staying away from everything" includes unmasked farmers markets, a kid on a track team also unmasked, and using the local senior center for internet unmasked. I found out last night when the kids came in and mentioned things in passing. They are only playing outside, which is lower risk, but I'm a little ticked right now. 

So, even if I trust the family, Idk if I would trust the grandma to be telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth about her own approach. UNLESS she was also a paranoid type. But even just a "oh yeah, I take all the precautions" response would be a no from me since I'm finding so many people say a general answer that is not true in specifics. They may even be thinking they are being accurate because at the store they are masked, and a quick "oh we aren't going anywhere" is true in relation to the fact they used to go 2 places a day everyday. 

• Like 3

We recently did something similar. Our area has very few cases, it was a reasonable decision given local conditions and quarantine status of those there . . . even so, I was somewhat nervous during and for a couple weeks afterward.

I've not been a worrier about it in general. Cautious and careful, but not extreme. This is the only recreation or gathering we've done at all since March. I was surprised at my reaction. 

So, I'd also consider the effect on your mental wellbeing afterward. It wasn't a *huge* deal for me, but I'd venture to say it would've been pretty hard if we were in an area with lots of cases. (I'm not sure what our cutoff would've been number-wise. We still have single digit total cases ever, or did at that time, so we haven't had to make that kind of decision.)

Also, that experience proved to me that people have different comfort zones with closeness, food, etc., no matter what they *say*.  I'd consider how you will handle it if something comes up.

The more I've thought, the less I like the idea, for now. 

1. The kids get LOUD when playing together. So shouting, meaning more droplets in the air, 

2. Our death rate just spiked, and hospitals are even in worse shape than I last saw. 

I'm going to need to wait until things simmer down, if they do, first. Sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It’s so hard, isn’t it?!  

My rambling thoughts.....We’ve been very careful since this all began.  We live near Buffalo, NY btw.  We just in the last month started letting my mom and dad come over to sit on the porch or in the backyard with us.  We progressed to letting my grandparents do the same.  We’ve had a couple of distanced meals in the backyard with them all, and they’ve only been in the house a couple of times, masked, when they just couldn’t put off using the bathroom.  They are the only people we have seen socially.  Well, my brother is living with my parents right now while he and my dad remodel a house they just bought for him but he hasn’t been here, but he is in the same airspace as my parents so I consider him in our bubble.  

Today, for the first time since the middle of March, my 15yo went to hang out in person with a friend.  His friend is a 16yo only child, and his family is distancing, masking, and in a bubble with just his aunt’s family.  I am mostly comfortable with this arrangement, and we’ll be having his friend over to our house soon, as well.  My 15yo is my most extroverted kid.  He was really starting to feel down being stuck home with just us, so we’re taking care of his mental health needs.  

But my almost 9yo daughter having friends over yet feels risky.  They are just so much less likely to keep out of each other’s space at this age.  I would love it if she had a friend whose family I felt comfortable letting into our bubble, but so far I am not there.  Here are our current numbers where I live, though.  “On July 7 there were 36 Covid-19 patients in WNY hospitals, 35 of whom were in Erie Co ( where Buffalo is) Also, as reported yesterday, 1.6% of all Covid-19 diagnostic tests received by our Health department on July 7 came back positive (52 out of 3,240).“  

With the number of positive cases in your area I wouldn’t be comfortable, but if things start to fall again (and I really hope they do soon!) this family sounds like a great choice for your bubble.  

• Like 1

We live in a hot spot and we have seen one family outdoors a few times.  Our husbands work together so that shouldn't be raising anyone's risk.  They are good about masking and don't see people.  Often they are on their land outside of town alone.  The kids do things like archery, shooting motocross and tree climbing.  Their youngest occasionally gets excited and forgets and tries to wrestle.  We just have the kids use wipes. We aren't as worried as you we are more worried about spreading than getting.

I think your DH is high risk so I wouldn't chance it.   He might not be on paper, but blood pressure, family risk, the ER scare a while back...  he doesn't need an infection to help him develop blood clots.

It stinks.  My kids are dissapointed we stay home too.  Well, sometimes we go for drives, or walks when no one is out, but that's it.  The only socializing we do is through face time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Or, even if you are not, because your area isn't that bad, but can understand that I AM, because my area IS that bad 🙂

At this point, we have not socialized at all. 

But, we have a homeschool family we are friends with. They did take a trip to texas to help out family, but have been back for over 3 weeks now. 

-The husband is working from home, the wife doesn't work outside the house

-they mask if going to the store, etc (need to double check this, but their area now has a mask mandate.....need to see if they were before that)

-the only place they have gone is her mother's house to swim...I need to check if her mother is being cautious, masking at store, etc

Good idea.  

Kids involved range from 3 yrs old to 11 yrs. 

Considering having them over to swim. I would allow going inside to use the bathroom as they live 45 minutes away,

Consider hand sanitizer or soap and water station at house entry (outside) so no door knobs etc a problem, masks use inside house. And a parent to help young ones (yours and theirs) who need help with handwashing after using toilet. 

And wipe handles of toilet and sink after use? Seat?

would want to stay a while, so would need to potty. Would have individual snack bags, labeled drinks, etc. Adults can sit 6 feet away on patio to talk, with fan on ,

Water mister possible for cooling ?

10 feet even better than 6!

but the kids are realistically not going to distance while playing, in the pool, etc. 

That’s true, but encourage it as much as possible.  Marco Polo?  ( with Marco and polo said very softly, not shouted ?) Beach ball toss?  Follow the leader games where one person does something in pool and others copy it (quietly) in turn, not touching? 

I think kids can learn to distance and be quiet voiced during play. 

Given my state is in a spike (18 percent positive rate for the state, 15 for my county), hospitalizations are up, etc...and that this is likely to be a long long long haul..would you consider making a quaranteam with them? 

Yes. 

The other issue, is our risk to them. My son is working outside the home, in a vet clinic. They mask around the clients, and clients mask, but they do not always mask around each other (the employees).

A self protective mask for your son to wear most / all of the time including around other workers?

It’s a problem for him and your family not just this other family.  

The doctor takes is seriously, and supposedly the other employees do as well and they all mask at stores, etc as it is mandatory here, but I can't swear what they do otherwise. And if one of them gets it, likely it will spread in the clinic. My friend is okay with this risk. My  son doesn't spend a ton of time in communal areas in our home, and doesn't hug/kiss on anyone, etc obviously. I'd have my friend's family use the other bathroom, not the one my son uses. And he wouldn't be around them, or even home most likely. But he could unknowingly spread to us and us to her family. 

See what you can do to reduce son’s risk.  Happy mask Taiwan type or similar? For him and all of you. 

What questions would you ask, and what parameters would you put in place, if you did this? Or would you do this? I know she's anxious to see people - she broke her leg in two places at the end of January, and was in a boot, unable to drive until end of March, and then the shut down happened in March before she got her boot off, so she was basically isolated months longer than anyone. And her kids and my kids get along really well. 

Also, we've always been good about communicating as far as illness - if one person's kids were sick before a playdate, even if it was just seemingly allergies, we always let the other one know so we could decide if it was better to cancel, etc. 

It sounds promising.   Good communication. No get together for slightest illness symptoms signs.

flexibility to change procedures as more information comes out 

masking and distancing as much as possible even though you are quaranteaming

no mask in pool obviously or while eating (is eating mandatory or could meals be before and after visit?).  But adults mask and distance, kids mask for all out of pool play and distance as much as possible in pool

Edited by Pen

I am afraid at some point one or the other of you would make a mistake or just a judgement the other disagreed with. Then it isn't just a matter of not seeing eye to eye with a friend but a much more offensive "you put our lives at risk." So I think this could be great or relationship ending. 

I don't think it is a terrible idea from a safety standpoint but there will always be some risk. You have been so very careful and concerned all along. I don't think you should turn that over to another family to compromise :(  I would be so upset and so hurt if I entered into that relationship and trust with someone and then find out someone in the family was shopping unmasked or got together with someone else or something. It just seems like to much to trust another family with. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

The more I've thought, the less I like the idea, for now. 

1. The kids get LOUD when playing together. So shouting, meaning more droplets in the air, 

2. Our death rate just spiked, and hospitals are even in worse shape than I last saw. 

I'm going to need to wait until things simmer down, if they do, first. Sigh. 

So, I've thought about this a lot.    1) No amount of momentary joy is worth the risk of putting my husband in the hospital, by himself, without me, and likely ending up with him permanently damaged, one of those "baby lung" patients  He is high risk, and we are doing everything to build his immunity, but that's our reality.  2) I am lucky enough to have a Plan A, which involves getting treated on an outpatient basis, early, with one of the (several) meds that is effective.  I have three docs to choose from, and we will not, not, not be "riding it out", untreated, at home until one of us gets sick enough to be admitted to the hospital.  

Without a Plan A (#2), I would not risk ending up with a #1 situation. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

So, I've thought about this a lot.    1) No amount of momentary joy is worth the risk of putting my husband in the hospital, by himself, without me, and likely ending up with him permanently damaged, one of those "baby lung" patients  He is high risk, and we are doing everything to build his immunity, but that's our reality.  2) I am lucky enough to have a Plan A, which involves getting treated on an outpatient basis, early, with one of the (several) meds that is effective.  I have three docs to choose from, and we will not, not, not be "riding it out", untreated, at home until one of us gets sick enough to be admitted to the hospital.  

Without a Plan A (#2), I would not risk ending up with a #1 situation. 

Thank you. This puts into words what I think I was feeling but having trouble explaining to myself. 

#1 is enough to have me not do this. I was doing it to be "nice" for my kids. But truthfully, no amount of mental health upside  they get from time with their friends would make up for the mental health downside of having their dad very ill in the hospital. 

And unlike places with few cases, that is a very real risk. 

Also, I forgot that not only is his blood pressure STILL not under control fully (pandemic stress not helping that!), but his labwork came back with significantly low vitamin D. He's on both prescription D2 capsules and over the counter good quality D3 with K2 liquid drops, but he's never out in the sun, so who knows. 

• Like 1

If you start a thread asking about Vitamin D, I remember fairly early in the Covid thread someone linked some studies about high dosing Vitamin D3 in order to rapidly get it back to normal.  Whoever posted it might be able to help find that link.  I would insist on trying it to get his D up as fast as possible.  It might lower his stress level too.

1 minute ago, Katy said:

If you start a thread asking about Vitamin D, I remember fairly early in the Covid thread someone linked some studies about high dosing Vitamin D3 in order to rapidly get it back to normal.  Whoever posted it might be able to help find that link.  I would insist on trying it to get his D up as fast as possible.  It might lower his stress level too.

Pretty sure it was Pen.

• Like 2

We have allowed a small number of people in our bubble. Mainly, I have to be confident we are on the same page as far as caution. I don’t want people here who are cavalier about COVID or who resist regulations if/when possible. But yes, in part for my son’s mental health, which does matter too after all, there is one best friend whom we have allowed over to spend the night and to spend July 4th weekend at our beach house. We don’t have them sleeping directly next to one another. And for the beach weekend, they were outside the great majority of the day. 

I do perceive this as accepting some risk. But, as I said, the isolation with no siblings now living at home was really not healthy for him either. 

18 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Pretty sure it was Pen.

Yes.

I referred to VitaminDwiki (website) and Raimund Von Helden (book) 

and @Ktgrok - I think the pandemic situation will get worse before getting better, but your husband’s risk factors are such that I would not go for the type get together you suggested.

a nature walk away from home with everyone masked? And after D levels are normal and BP improved? Maybe. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t know.  We took a friend and her son into our bubble, once.  She said she was staying home, she said all the neighbors were getting together but they weren’t, she said even when they visited her mom they social distanced outside and didn’t go in.  So I agreed to a play date.  We social distanced and all that.  And we were going to start seeing each other regularly.  But then one day she texts that her ds is having a sleepover at grandmas. Then they go to Orlando for his birthday and stay at a hotel. Then he does a summer conditioning camp.  It turned 180 degrees, and in a way it bummed my kids out more. I really was shocked because I really did believe she was as SIP minded as we were.  

Good luck with your decision.  It’s hard.

• Sad 1

We wouldn't do it, but we are more cautious than most after having a COVID-19 death. Waiting to see if dh or my mil would come down with it was the worst 15 days of my life!! My mil is driving me nuts with getting too close to her son or daughter who are not social distancing. They visit outside and we have markings on the ground for 8 feet, but they are always getting way too close passing stuff back and forth. Sil tells people that her family is being safe, but they are not, and she tested positive for antibodies, so she was contagious at some point while she was at the beach with friends and having people over for dinner, letting her kids drive with other kids, etc. I see a lot of that behavior since the numbers have been down in our area. The last time I talked to my fil before he died was a phone call from the hospital, yelling to get him the hell out of there. The last time I saw him was when the funeral home texted me a picture of his body, which they couldn't do anything with because of the virus, to make sure they had the right one. Probably why I take it more seriously than my sil does. And she's the reason I don't trust when people say they are taking precautions and being safe.

• Sad 4

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. Meeting with them will increase your risk. But you already are somewhat at risk anyway. And the increase isn't huge. So it just depends on how YOU feel about it. Are you willing to have a somewhat higher risk in exchange for more interaction?

I'm ok with pretty much all outdoor play dates where adults maintain social distance and kids may have some incidental contact but are not sharing drinks, licking eyeballs, etc.  I would not mind someone running in to use the restroom, especially one at a time, and although I would expect and insist that they wash hands after obviously, i would also disinfect them as they came back to the yard.  After they left, I'd clean the bathroom and knobs/handles.  

I really feel quite safe outdoors, in small groups (2-3 adults plus their kids) with social distancing in place for adults.  For pre-pubescent kids, we are just careful not to share food or drinks, and the kids have learned to keep their hands out of their mouths and cover their coughs/sneezes.  For me, this feels sustainable long-term, though we'll have to reconsider when the weather turns cold again.  We'll probably go back to semi-isolation when we can't meet up outside.  

9 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’d also consider what the long term impact on the friendship may be if you realise that your ideas of social distancing weren’t the same and someone got exposed.  

This is a very good point. 

6 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Do you trust this family with your life? Your husband's life? Your children's life?  Because that's what is at stake. 

No. I don't trust anyone but me, and my mom, that way. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, Ktgrok said:

Thank you. This puts into words what I think I was feeling but having trouble explaining to myself. 

#1 is enough to have me not do this. I was doing it to be "nice" for my kids. But truthfully, no amount of mental health upside  they get from time with their friends would make up for the mental health downside of having their dad very ill in the hospital. 

And unlike places with few cases, that is a very real risk. 

Also, I forgot that not only is his blood pressure STILL not under control fully (pandemic stress not helping that!), but his labwork came back with significantly low vitamin D. He's on both prescription D2 capsules and over the counter good quality D3 with K2 liquid drops, but he's never out in the sun, so who knows. 

Oh, gosh, girl!  I'm so sorry.

It takes about 10K D3 daily to keep DH's D levels in the 40-50 range.  I just heard the other day, on MedCram or on Dr. Dbeen?   that diabetic patients have a hard time converting D3 to the active form, so cholecalciferol may be better for them if the D3 isn't doing it.   Your husband should also be taking magnesium to help with absorption of the D. 

The majority of the co-workers around me (age peers for the most part) are so stinkin' nonchalant about this, and at least two of them are high risk, I want to scream to stay far, far away from me.   

10 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Oh, gosh, girl!  I'm so sorry.

It takes about 10K D3 daily to keep DH's D levels in the 40-50 range.  I just heard the other day, on MedCram or on Dr. Dbeen?   that diabetic patients have a hard time converting D3 to the active form, so cholecalciferol may be better for them if the D3 isn't doing it.   Your husband should also be taking magnesium to help with absorption of the D. 

The majority of the co-workers around me (age peers for the most part) are so stinkin' nonchalant about this, and at least two of them are high risk, I want to scream to stay far, far away from me.   

D3 is cholecalciferol .  

The other type is ergocalciferol D2. 

There are several co factors that are good to take. Magnesium is an important one but not the only one.  There are good charts on VitaminDwiki. 

I’m sure DrBeen did mention that about difficulties converting. Maybe medcram did too. 

Edited by Pen