Menu

Pregnancy at 40 yrs+

Murphy101

Mama age with last baby  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you with the last baby naturally conceived?

Just now, Margaret in CO said:

I miscarried that baby at 46. Last one that made it was at 43. 

Toot.  As soon as I posted the poll and then went to answer it myself, I had the same conundrum.  I listed the age of my last baby born. There's five years and two mc between her and baby 10 and another mc after baby 11.  I do not expect to have more children due to this trajectory.  I've had many people presume I've gotten healthier the last year to up my odds of having another.  They tend to shrug in mild disbelief at my pointing out that at 46, the odds are unlikely.

I had my first baby at 41 and the 2nd (and last) at 42. They were both conceived naturally but we had pursued IVF etc before I got pregnant. That doctor told me that at my age and having not had any pregnancies, I had a 5% chance of conceiving naturally and carrying to term. 

Edited by marbel

No luck here (with a living baby) post-40 but my mom will cheerily tell everyone she had her younger two of five at 40 & 42 (almost 43), so none of her girls should have any problems with pregnancies. (After watching how she was to my SIL after she had an early m/c, I never told her different.)

• Sad 4

I have a friend who had a baby at 48 and another had a baby at 44.  But everyone was shocked about it bc of their ages. Same for me when I had baby 11 at 43.and I gotta be honest,  I felt a LOT older than every women I saw that was pregnant when I was with that last one. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 2

I turned 45 two weeks before I had my DD this past spring. I had a miscarriage at 41, but this one was fine. I was quite the talk of the town for a while when we told people 🤣 I did have some blood pressure issues this time, which I had never had before. And I felt every.single.bit. of my age throughout the pregnancy. When I'm in the baby room at church with all the young mom's I often feel verrrrrrrry out of place LOL!

DH's cousin had a baby at 47. The pregnancy was normal, but the little girl had/has some health issues - floppy muscle tone that required some intense therapy as a baby, cochlear implants as a toddler, and now that she's about 12 she's also losing her sight 😞

• Like 3

I put 40 but I was a few weeks shy of my 41st birthday. 

I did take some supplements knwown to help with ovarian conditions and to prevent miscarraige/genetic issues - namely DHEA and CoQ10 for 4 months before that, but have no idea if that mattered. I got pregnant the first month we tried. 

I also had an ultrasound at age 42 and the tech was shocked - she said I didn't have 42 year old ovaries, and that I had better be careful or I'd be one of those 50 year old women who are pregnant. 

• Haha 3

My grandmother was 49 when she had her last baby. She had 3 babies in her 40s. She also had her first baby when she was 17 and the whole thing still blows my mind. I just had my last a few weeks shy of my 39th birthday and it was such a rough, exhausting pregnancy. I can't even imagine being pregnant in 10 years. Huge shoutout to all you moms having babies in your 40s! You are all strong women! 

• Like 3

I lost a micropreemie that was due right before my 40th, so there are five years between my living youngest. My rainbow baby was conceived right before I turned 41. He is the sweetest, most adored baby. It was physically easier to have babies in my twenties, but truly, I am so glad I have this little guy. He is so doted upon, kissed a gazillion times a day by everyone. I had my FSH levels checked before trying for him because I wanted to know what our odds were, and they were more like what would be expected of someone in their early thirties. 

• Like 2

I didn't vote because I had my youngest at 39.9, it was by far my easiest pregnancy, we don't know if we're done.  DH just brought up another "if we have another baby" decluttering question two days ago.  We have enough toddlers at the moment but I might stop preventing again at 42.  I've heard PCOS & living past 100 are both highly correlated with late fertility.  Many people on both sides of my family seemed to have an easier time conceiving after 40 than before 30.

I have a friend who had her first baby at 45.  She's had the same husband since she was 21.  They thought they couldn't get pregnant and gave up trying years ago. Now they're chasing a three-year-old.  It was all quite an experience.  Her friends are all launching their kids into college and she's potty training.  It's a great joy, but it is a bit unusual.  She scared a lot of her friends into doubling up on birth control.  You can get careless in your late 40s.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I have a friend who had her first baby at 45.  She's had the same husband since she was 21.  They thought they couldn't get pregnant and gave up trying years ago. Now they're chasing a three-year-old.  It was all quite an experience.  Her friends are all launching their kids into college and she's potty training.  It's a great joy, but it is a bit unusual.  She scared a lot of her friends into doubling up on birth control.  You can get careless in your late 40s.  

lol. I don’t think it’s anymore “careless” to take a less than 5% risk without birth control in our 40s than to take a similar risk with birth control in our 20s.  Especially as the cancer risk goes up with age. But that is an entirely different discussion.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

4 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

lol. I don’t think it’s anymore “careless” to take a less than 5% risk without birth control in our 40s than to take a similar risk with birth control in our 20s.  Especially as the cancer risk goes up with age. But that is an entirely different discussion.

Lol

I took "careless" to mean "I'm too old for that anyway so who cares if we don't use bc because by golly if my premenopausal body actually wants to get busy with DH we're going to strike while the iron is hot." At any rate, that's how I ended up being eligible to answer this poll 😉

In my 20's I was a lot more hyper vigilant about bc because I still harbored some illusions that I could control my life. Bwahahahahaha!

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 11:00 AM, KungFuPanda said:

I have a friend with a similar story, although they adopted in their 30s. She ended up with two, at 42 and 44, because they thought after the fluke of the first that there was no way it would happen again after trying unsuccessfully for so many years.

Another friend with secondary infertility had her third at 43, seventeen years after her first.

Edited by Frances