Menu

Another name that puppy post...

Nemom

We found a puppy! Yay! 😃 We found a licensed breeder in our state who was recommended by an award winning agility trainer (also from our state) whom I found on FB. He comes home in 40 days. Now we need a name. Looking for suggestions.

image.thumb.png.f870e696d9abbfa9b876b0c7e892fbec.png

Original post here: 

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, AK_Mom4 said:

What breed?  Or is the little darling a mix?

i would probably name him Spot.  DD17 prefers household objects for pet names and recommends Hammer.

What a cutie!,,,

Toy American Shepherd

1 hour ago, AK_Mom4 said:

What breed?  Or is the little darling a mix?

i would probably name him Spot.  DD17 prefers household objects for pet names and recommends Hammer.

What a cutie!,,,

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

He looks like a spot or spotty to me too though that’s horribly unoriginal

I thought I was so clever to think of naming him Spot, and then I saw that you both beat me to it. 😁

• Haha 1

Scooby is out because my dd wants a dog the same breed as Scooby Doo to name Scooby.

Charlie was a top choice but the neighbor's dog is Charlie.

Jasper was suggested and thrown out.

I like Dingo since that has Australian roots.

9 hours ago, Seasider too said:

With that spotty coloration, I'd be calling him Dingo. But that would be silly I guess, because his spottiness is actually more like a wild African dog, not a wild Australian one. I just think I've always wanted to name a puppy Dingo.

ETA I will be looking for more pics of this cutie in a few weeks!

I like this one. I have an Aussie/Catahoula mix who is spotted and speckled, and I call him my little dingo.🙂

44 minutes ago, Rachel said:

He’s cute!

Do you have any other pets? What are their names?

All but one of our dogs have had names starting with b, so we stuck with that tradition when we got a puppy a few months back. His name in Boone. 

A dog called Louie and a cat called Zoey.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Seasider too said:

With that spotty coloration, I'd be calling him Dingo. But that would be silly I guess, because his spottiness is actually more like a wild African dog, not a wild Australian one. I just think I've always wanted to name a puppy Dingo.

ETA I will be looking for more pics of this cutie in a few weeks!

We had a stranger one time ask us if our dog was a dingo. DH and I thought it was so hilarious! Now we call her our little dingo. 😊 fwiw, I don’t think she’s a dingo, but after looking at pictures of them I can see why he asked! I guess she’s some kind of cattle dog. 🤷🏼‍♀️

How big will he get?

Hyram or Abe or Willie?  😄 I just want to snuggle that little bundle.

I don't give official dog names based on appearance (don't want to hurt the dog's feelings) so my dog is listed at the vet as "Lilly," but since she is mostly white with a brindle ear and pink spots on her belly, we often call her Piggly.

4 hours ago, mmasc said:

We had a stranger one time ask us if our dog was a dingo. DH and I thought it was so hilarious! Now we call her our little dingo. 😊 fwiw, I don’t think she’s a dingo, but after looking at pictures of them I can see why he asked! I guess she’s some kind of cattle dog. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Australian Cattle Dogs (also called Heelers) actually are descended from dingoes! I love them - they're one of my most favorite breeds!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Australian Cattle Dogs (also called Heelers) actually are descended from dingoes! I love them - they're one of my most favorite breeds!

I guess she really is our little dingo then.😂 She’s awesome!

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

Reggie short for Reginald

Of course, I like to have a long name for our doggies.  Example?  Bear is a rescue/shelter doggo and came with a very unoriginal name- other than he looks like a teddy bear- his full name is Barrels Von Thurstenburg (ends with our last name). 

But we are weird.

We also have a bird named Kanye.

• Haha 2

Working dogs need working names!  I've had lots of heelers, border collies and Aussies.

Fly, Gator, Spin, Sweep,  Sarge, Boone, Hank, Bo, Dart.

I read somewhere that T and K sounds get dogs attention so I had a Tick.  Or Tuck, Tank.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 8:31 PM, Nemom said:

We found a puppy! Yay! 😃 We found a licensed breeder in our state who was recommended by an award winning agility trainer (also from our state) whom I found on FB. He comes home in 40 days. Now we need a name. Looking for suggestions.

I am so glad to read this! I read your other post but did not have time to respond, so I'm very excited for you!

We have an 8 month old mini Aussie/American shepherd (black tri). His name is Oliver Perth, and yes, there are many times throughout the day when I say his full name! 😄 My daughter calls him Ollie, but I don't think that cutesy name quite fits his personality. It's more like Your Highness King Oliver...Lord of House and Property. Very different from the Labradors we have always had until now! 

Believe me, he acts MUCH bigger than his size. lol! His athleticism is soooo impressive...he makes my jaw drop with his high jumps and twists and speed bursts. Just a slight warning...he is a bit of a velcro-dog to me, but I love my pint-size firecracker. 😘

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Seconding Odin...thinking of adult dog he’ll be.  And the eye spot.  

@Nemom off topic - are you writing? Doing Camp NaNoWriMo?

I am not doing the camp. I decided to join a FB challenge instead this year called 365 Day Writing Challenge. As you guessed it, we are supposed to write every day. They have an accountability spreadsheet set up for everyone to complete every week. It has been fun.

I plan on still doing NaNo in November unless something unexpected comes up.

What about you? Are you doing the camp this month?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemom said:

I am not doing the camp. I decided to join a FB challenge instead this year called 365 Day Writing Challenge. As you guessed it, we are supposed to write every day. They have an accountability spreadsheet set up for everyone to complete every week. It has been fun.

I plan on still doing NaNo in November unless something unexpected comes up.

What about you? Are you doing the camp this month?

Yes.  More relaxed.

• Like 1