Menu

Indoor shoes/slipper for hot weather that have support (tile floors causing fatigue)

Tap

DD20 has chronic pain. She just move to Las Vegas (Nellis AFB) and her new-to-her base house is all tile. Her feet, legs and back were hurting the first day. 

What kind of shoe do you recommend, other than regular outdoor shoes? She is usually a barefoot girl (inside) unless she is getting ready to leave the house. Her shoes always have orthotic inserts so she will need an indoor shoe that has at least some basic arch support. I was going to send her some good slippers but then realized they may be too warm for her. 

Due to her health issues she is often curled up on the couch or in bed, she would like a simple slip on, so she doesn't have to tie, and retie all day long. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I use Altra Escalantes (which are outdoor shoes but feel like slippers) with stretchy Lock Laces (R) to make them easy on / off.  I was told about them by a very pregnant person who had to work standing on a concrete floor.    Altra has a cooler shoe with air ventilation at toes, and more thick soles, but they don’t fit me personally as well—might be they’d fit your Dd better though.  Orthotics or extra arch supports should be able to fit in either type if sized big enough... if native support not enough.  

And, btw, many lace ups can be made essentially into slip ons with Lock Laces.

• Like 2

I have to check into what Pen recommended. For years now, I have been living in Birkenstocks. If you don't mind a weird design that did not sell well and is now sharply reduced, you can snag them sometimes for under $50.00 versus the ludicrous $120.00 for sandals. But they last and they are very comfortable for me.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 3

I have flat feet (congenital and worsened by pregnancies, age and RA). The RA also affects various joints in my feet and is slowly causing toe misalignment and bunions. Our house is on a concrete slab and has all hard flooring, but I don't find that any more troublesome than when we had carpet on a crawl space. But I've never, ever gone barefoot. For many years Crocs have been my inside shoe of choice. They're ugly but they're easy to slip on/off, are supportive enough where I need it and roomy enough they don't aggravate the bunions. They're a bit risky for me because I also have ankle issues, and they're not really recommended because they offer no ankle support whatsoever. But I don't think any sandal or easy on/off shoe does.

• Like 5

Like the 2 replies above mine, I live in Crocs.  Sandals.   Our house is made of Concrete.  The Foundation is Concrete. Above that are what I would call Flooring Tiles. Each one is approximately one foot square. So, it's a very hard surface.   If there is a Crocs Outlet Store near to where your DD lives (I think there is at least one Outlet Mall in Las Vegas. ,possibly one in NLV)  (we went to one in Orlando) they have a ton of different styles and ,many of them are very low in price.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

I wear Keen sandals all summer and Uggs in the winter. The Keens have a very thick rubber sole.  But if I stand for too long in the kitchen I still am in pain no matter what shoe I wear.  Memory foam rugs in the kitchen help too. 

When we were in the Crocs Outlet store in Orlando, I was looking at 2 different Sandals that looked alike, but one was more expensive and was for people who are standing a lot.  I asked about the more expensive pair but based on what I told them, they suggested I buy the less expensive style. The more expensive one were for people who are on their feet for extended periods of time. Possibly those would help you?

• Like 1

I’d probably get her a nice pair of supportive flip flops that would be ‘indoor only’ shoes. I always wear my favorite flip flops around the house as slippers bc they’re more comfy than actual slippers. Maybe some OluKai? 

• Like 1

I wear Vionics Mary Janes (slip on and off)--they come with the bonus of being cute enough that when I forget to put on real shoes before leaving the house, it doesn't look like I'm wearing house shoes. :)

DH swears by crocs, the really ugly kind. We are pretty careful to make sure he doesn't accidentally leave the house in those. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These are type that I think have the ventilation and thicker soles... my Ds got a pair but they didn’t seem right to him (each foot is different) — but could be for a hard tile floor.

Altra company can send direct, sometimes has old models on steep discount, and has a return policy...

Altra Footwear Women's Paradigm 1.5,Black/Blue,US 6 D https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013VYASHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Rm7KCb90G83EA

• Like 1

Something like this Fanture Men & Women's Ultra Soft Flip Flops Thong Foot Pain Relief Arch Support Recovery Slipper and Sandals-Black-37 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077VGNDGJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6IdLCbAKRPRNX or Oofos also could work.  I tend to prefer something more secure on my feet though—especially if any health issues already to contribute to less than excellent balance or anthing that might increase slips, trips, falls.

• Like 1

I wear Birkenstock sandals or Skechers sandals as my house slippers. I have tile floors and going barefoot is hard on my back, legs, and feet but it's too hot to wear what most people consider slippers. I've spent years trying to find the right hot weather "slippers". Cheap sandals won't do the trick so be prepared to spend some money. It's worth it though. I hate wearing closed shoes even when I go out and I had a podiatrist recommend Birkenstock sandals to me years ago. If she doesn't want sandals, these Skechers have decent support and when we have our rare cold weather I wear them at home. I just bought a second pair recently. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 8:00 AM, MEmama said:

I wear Vionics Mary Janes (slip on and off)--they come with the bonus of being cute enough that when I forget to put on real shoes before leaving the house, it doesn't look like I'm wearing house shoes. 🙂

I've recently started looking at Vionics sandals for my house shoes because they seem to have arch support without the ugliness of Birks. 🙂 

• Like 1

I should add that even open toe slippers can be too hot in a hot climate. If the foot bed is at all fuzzy they'll be too uncomfortable to wear in hot weather, even with the A/C running. 

I looked at Vionics slippers because of a previous post and every one of them shown here would be too hot to wear. I was hoping I'd find some real slippers I can wear but apparently the word slippers always means fuzzy even if they're sandal style. 😞 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

Don’t know if something like this would be padded enough for hard tile.  If she were to try them and find them helpful, please let me know because I’m curious about them:

UIYTR 2 Pairs Health Foot Care Massage Toe Socks Five Fingers Toes Compression Socks Arch Support Relieve Foot Pain Socks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076J8XT3K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aaBLCb0PZCHNX

• Like 1

I will let her pick a new pair of sandals and put them in her Easter basket. She has a few pair of Birkenstocks, so I know she likes those but she may want something a bit lighter for indoors. I think I will let her pick between Vionic and OluKai. I am used to paying $100+ for her shoes so the prices seem pretty on par with what we are used to. She takes excellent care of her things so they will last a long time, especially since they will just be house shoes and not worn outside. 

Thank you for all your help!  I hadn't heard of OluKai and I think that may be the way she goes. 🙂

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tap said:

I am used to paying $100+ for her shoes so the prices seem pretty on par with what we are used to. She takes excellent care of her things so they will last a long time, especially since they will just be house shoes and not worn outside. 

Thank you for all your help!  I hadn't heard of OluKai and I think that may be the way she goes.

When I bought my first pair of Birkenstock sandals I balked at the $100 price but my feet were hurting so I paid it. That first pair lasted 10 years so really I paid $10 a year for a pair of good, comfortable, well-made shoes.

I hadn't heard of OluKai either but I looked them up and like what I saw. I found out there are several stores near me that carry them, so I can actually go look at them and try them on. This has been another Helpful Hive thread. 🙂 

Edited by Lady Florida.