Menu

I was in an accident today

school17777

I was picking my dd up from school for a dr’s appointment.  The high school had just dismissed.  The student who hit me was flying.  She took the turn ahead of my too fast and lost control of her car.  I could see her heading towards me so I pulled over and was almost at a complete stop before she hit me.  My side curtain airbag deployed.  My driver’s side tire is bent in.  My van 3 month old van is totaled.  I am very sore.  Paramedic said my soreness is consistent with the airbag, seatbelt, and dashboard and that I’ll be sore for a few days. My drs office thinks the dr is going to want to see me anyway, waiting to hear back.

The other driver told the police she was only going 15 and hit ice.  There was no ice on the road, just off the road where we were.  She was flying!  No way was she going 15.

They - police, firemen, paramedic, said if I hadn’t reacted trying to avoid the accident, it would have been head-on.  My kids said that the students drive 60-70 there.  Speed limit is 30.  I was going 5 at the point of impact because I was trying to stop before she hit me.

I’m pretty shaken up.  This is my first accident that involved major damage and where I am sore.

Edited by school17777
  • Like 1
  • Sad 23

Wow-- sounds scary!   Glad that you seem OK-- but I suggest getting checked out--- her insurance will cover it!

Also-- be prepared -- if you are sore now you will be WORSE tomorrow.  Go to a Dr and if you get cleared then see a Chiropractor.

Sorry about your van-- hope you can get a new one quickly.

• Like 4

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

((Hugs)). I hope that she is cited. And that her insurance pays for car, health and extra for you. 

Thank you.  That’s my first new car as an adult.  I have been driving used vans for twenty years!  I don’t think my old van had the side curtain airbag.  I am grateful the car did as it was supposed to.

• Like 4

I’m so sorry!  Also I’m pretty sure police are used to people fudging about how fast they were going, so nobody is going to buy the 15 mph impact. Hugs- hope you feel better soon and her insurance makes this as painless as possible.  Please do see the doc in case you need medical care later, too. 

• Like 3

(((school17777)))

I am so sorry.

I remember being in my mom's brand new van when someone hit her from behind at a stoplight.  She was so upset, as I'm sure that you are.

I agree with the others that you should see a doctor and get all of the documentation that you need.

Hopefully the insurance won't be a nightmare.  And hopefully the girl will learn from this.

• Like 1

Just now, Annie G said:

I’m so sorry!  Also I’m pretty sure police are used to people fudging about how fast they were going, so nobody is going to buy the 15 mph impact. Hugs- hope you feel better soon and her insurance makes this as painless as possible.  Please do see the doc in case you need medical care later, too. 

When said she was only going 15, he didn’t buy it and he also told her he didn’t see the ice she says was there.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

(((school17777)))

I am so sorry.

I remember being in my mom's brand new van when someone hit her from behind at a stoplight.  She was so upset, as I'm sure that you are.

Yes, I am upset about the car.  We haven’t heard from their insurance yet.  I filed a claim.  When we have had an accident and we went through our insurance.  The ball got rolling right away.  Their insurance company said they don’t have to respond for a day.  If we got through ours, I would have already had a rental at least ready for tomorrow, if not tonight.  Other insurance company said I have to pay out of pocket and if they decide they are responsible they “may” reimburse my costs.

• Like 1

If this is your first accident be aware of the OTHER insurance company-- they may call and try to force you to take a deal -- like give you 80% of the car's value and not a brand new car (like they should do!).  If the driver has the same insurance company as you things will be a lot smoother.. if not watch out!

They may also try to get you to take only PARTIAL coverage of medical bills... By force I mean call multiple times each day and use strong language like 'if you do not take this deal you will not get ANYTHING'....

Please be cautious--

My husband was rear-ended on a high way-- totaled our awesome Suburban.  DH was taking 7 girls on a fun day trip-- 3 girls were taken by ambulance (one broke her back and will have pain the rest of her life but has mobility)-- the other had serious concussions.  DH and oldest dd who sat in front both had terrible whiplash and bruising.

It took 2 YEARS to get a settlement!  We finally had to get a lawyer. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

7 minutes ago, school17777 said:

Yes, I am upset about the car.  We haven’t heard from their insurance yet.  I filed a claim.  When we have had an accident and we went through our insurance.  The ball got rolling right away.  Their insurance company said they don’t have to respond for a day.  If we got through ours, I would have already had a rental at least ready for tomorrow, if not tonight.  Other insurance company said I have to pay out of pocket and if they decide they are responsible they “may” reimburse my costs.

I’ve never had an accident so I’m learning new info here- I thought you called your own insurance company also. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 2

Hugs.

Can you call your insurance and have them deal with the other insurance company? I did that about a year ago when my life was crazy and a jerk driver floored it into me backward. (I was behind him in a drive-through line.) My insurance company dealt with getting everything taken care of and covered and made sure his company paid and took care of everything since he was at fault.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, school17777 said:

Your insurance should be the one dealing with the other insurance company. Do not settle with the other insurance company until all your health needs have been met and things are totally better  

• Like 16

12 minutes ago, school17777 said:

OK-- if that was the response I would heavily suggest speaking with a lawyer-- NOW.  It can take YEARS for them to reimburse you-- and they will drag it out as long as possible.

And YES to getting your insurance company to work on getting a new car from the other insurance company.  In our case OUR insurance company gave us some money (not much but something) towards a replacement car-- then 2 years later the settlement reimbursed them...

Our lawyer made sure the other insurance company had to pay 'pain and suffering'-- his cut came out of a portion of this.  It would have been so much cheaper for the other insurance company if they had just taken responsibility and paid in a timely manner.

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 3

As others have said,  let your insurance company deal with them. Awhile later, the other insurance company tried to contact me directly. My number is unlisted and they ended up calling an extended relative, who passed the message on to me. I was suspicious of what they would want so I called my insurance to ask if that was normal. They said it often is but that I was under no obligation to reply to that other company. So I didn't.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I’ve never had an accident so I’m learning new info here- I thought you called your own insurance company also. 

I called mine first.  Then you have two options- go through your own insurance or try to go through the at fault insurance company.  You can at any point go back to your own insurance company.

• Like 1

Ds was in a pretty bad accident a couple of years ago. What I learned:

keep a paper trail. Even if we spoke by phone, I followed it up with an email record of what was discussed. 

If your adjuster isn’t doing his job, don’t be afraid to go up the food chain.  Our claim took a year. And we had a couple of adjusters. One was in way over her head. I was nice but firm when talking to her supervisor to make sure that our bills were paid. 

We took our own photos as well as what the insurance took. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, school17777 said:

Wait, have you spoken with YOUR insurance company? They should deal with the other insurance company for you. And if you have rental coverage with your company you can use it. When I was hit my insurance company handled everything, and then they filed against the other insurance company. 

• Like 4

I'm so sorry.  injuries can wait until a few days poste to show up due to swelling.  dh was hit by a car while riding his bike - straight to the UC, they didn't find anything.  but there was a very small piece of bone torn off that wasn't discovered until later.  same thing when I was hit, I didn't realize I had been injured until hours later.  adrenaline covers a lot.

the police SHOULD have done an investigation that would have shown there was no ice on the road, and that she was lying.  she's still at fault, even if they believe her.  "too fast for conditions"  even if she hit ice.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, school17777 said:

Have your insurance company deal with her insurance company. You will have to make a statement to the other company, but other than that, have your company deal with it. 

• Like 2

I’m upset with myself for not rushing to get out of the car to check on the other driver.  I was mad that she hit me.  I also couldn’t see where her car was - like if she was by my driver’s door because the air curtain blocked my view.  I also knew she was a teen, my kids age.  I just couldn’t make myself jump out of the car to check on her immediately because I was angry.  She came to my car with another lady who stopped to make sure I was ok, so at least I knew she was ok.  That’s not like me.  

• Sad 2

I am so sorry.  

I am so glad you were such a good defensive driver and did what you could do to lesson the accident.  Very smart. 

I am so sorry about your new car.   I hope you insurance can handle that well for you.   Thank goodness you had it that car though, I am sure the new safety features protected you.  

I am so happy you are ok.  Take it easy and recover. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, school17777 said:

I’m upset with myself for not rushing to get out of the car to check on the other driver.  I was mad that she hit me.  I also couldn’t see where her car was - like if she was by my driver’s door because the air curtain blocked my view.  I also knew she was a teen, my kids age.  I just couldn’t make myself jump out of the car to check on her immediately because I was angry.  She came to my car with another lady who stopped to make sure I was ok, so at least I knew she was ok.  That’s not like me.  

Awww.  Don't beat yourself up about that.  People all react differently to accidents.  I work for a auto body repair shop and I have heard it all.  May I ask what two insurance companies are involved?

• Like 3

Oh I'm so sorry! I hope the paramedics were right and you're just sore for a few days but it's not a bad idea to see your doctor anyway. Sorry about your new van but glad you are okay. Was your dd in the car or had you not picked her up yet?

Hopefully when the police investigate they'll be able to tell how fast that driver was going. If it's a newer car it might even have a computer that will tell them.

13 hours ago, school17777 said:

I called mine first.  Then you have two options- go through your own insurance or try to go through the at fault insurance company.  You can at any point go back to your own insurance company.

Florida is a no-fault insurance state so I can't really give you advice but don't let them run over you. 

• Like 1

Ooo. 😞  That’s terrible!

A guy hit me once.  He was crossing the yellow line coming straight at me.  I vered to the right almost completely out of the way, but he  hit my back bumper.  He was going under 25 mph (he’d fallen asleep and thankfully, his foot was easing off the gas), yet it still ripped the entire bumper off my car and threw it like a javelin into the side of a house, and it also hit a gas line and the fire/gas department had to come because the gas was hissing into the air. I was shocked at the damage and power of the impact even at such a low speed

Another time, a car was going about 50 through a stop sign.  I was moving forward (after a stop) through the intersection which due to bushes and tress, was mostly a blind intersection, so I couldn’t see him coming until the last moment.  He came roaring through the intersection at about 50, without stopping at his stop sign and I slammed on the brakes and missed getting hit by about 1/4 of an inch.  The boys were positively terrified.  We felt our car move in the breeze as the car went by.  I felt a jolt of adrenalin every time I went through that intersection for months afterwards. 

All that to say, I can imagine that after you got hit, you were in complete shock and stunned.  Your adrenaline had to be shooting through the roof.  Of course you were feeling angry and unable to get out of the car.  It was bad enough when I got hit at under 25 mph, and when we felt the breeze of 50 mph shooting past us.  It’s very normal that you weren’t able to get out for a while and you felt anger.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, school17777 said:

Check that guilt at the door. In this case you were the victim, this is the scenario where everyone should be coming to check on you. This is the one big time. Your guilt is probably a side-effect of the shock of being hit by a negligent teen driving, as @gardenmom5 pointed out, "too fast for conditions" regardless of whatever conditions she claims were present.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Oh I'm so sorry! I hope the paramedics were right and you're just sore for a few days but it's not a bad idea to see your doctor anyway. Sorry about your new van but glad you are okay. Was your dd in the car or had you not picked her up yet?

Hopefully when the police investigate they'll be able to tell how fast that driver was going. If it's a newer car it might even have a computer that will tell them.

Florida is a no-fault insurance state so I can't really give you advice but don't let them run over you. 

No, my daughter was not in the car with me yet.  I am so thankful for that.

• Like 3

I am so sorry this happened to you.  How scary.  

You did nothing wrong.  It's ok that in the heat of the moment, your emotions overwhelmed you.  Had she not gotten out of her car, I have no doubt you would have calmed, gotten out, and checked on her.  What felt like a long time in your mind was probably less than a minute or two.  

Don't worry about her lies, police and insurance companies are VERY good at estimating speeds and impact angles and everything.  Don't speak directly with her insurance, try to go through yours.  

Big hugs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, school17777 said:

as other's have said . . . let go of your sense of guilt.  it's very misplaced.  you had just been hit by another car and even if you're not seriously injured, the adrenalin hit is real. the whole thing is physiologically very disorienting. you're not superman (Christopher reeve) - who can be hit by a nyctaxi (putting a huge dent in it and damaging the engine) and not even notice.  even though you slowed down so the vehicle impact wasn't as great as it could have been - you were then hit by an airbag, which can deploy as fast as 180+ miles an hour!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Well, I don't know how it works in no fault states, but like others said if  Progressive won't step up IMMEDIATELY, turn it over to Geico and let them deal with Progressive. 

Since we have not heard from Progressive by noon, my Dh was going to call Geico.  I assume he did, or is still on the phone with them.  He’ll be home around 2 so we can get the stuff I forgot it grab out the van.

We actually found Progressive (which was our at-fault driver's insurance) to be pretty good to us.  Our insurance company needed more prodding.  But even then we still held off on a settlement and did not take the first one offered (for legitimate reasons - ie. there were still medical bills coming in and we didn't want to settle until they were all done.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, school17777 said:

We are not in a no fault state.

Oh I thought you were.  Well, if Progressive will pay you won't have to pay your deductible up front.  If it is going to total it should not take too long to get your settlement. They are probably waiting to talk to the driver and establish liability.  A day is really not that long in the world of insurance claims, unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We actually found Progressive (which was our at-fault driver's insurance) to be pretty good to us.  Our insurance company needed more prodding.  But even then we still held off on a settlement and did not take the first one offered (for legitimate reasons - ie. there were still medical bills coming in and we didn't want to settle until they were all done.)

Yes, Progressive is generally ok to deal with when it is not your own insurance.  We had a claim when a kid ran into dh...claim, including rental, ended up being about 14K. Body shop had a few issues with them, but they eventually paid.  A total situation will probably be easier to deal with.  Maybe.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, school17777 said:

Just so you know everything with the other insurance company is standard.  They have to verify certain information regarding the other driver before they will accept liability (example: was the driver the owner/driving with permission of the owner, get their statement, etc.).  They gave you the answer of "may" because at the moment you spoke to them the only information they have is from an alleged injured party.  This case is pretty clear cut as you described it so I wouldn't worry about getting reasonable expenses reimbursed.

If you have not done so yet, you should see a doctor and get checked out.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ChocolateReignRemix said:

Just so you know everything with the other insurance company is standard.  They have to verify certain information regarding the other driver before they will accept liability (example: was the driver the owner/driving with permission of the owner, get their statement, etc.).  They gave you the answer of "may" because at the moment you spoke to them the only information they have is from an alleged injured party.  This case is pretty clear cut as you described it so I wouldn't worry about getting reasonable expenses reimbursed.

If you have not done so yet, you should see a doctor and get checked out.

Yes.  This.  It just takes a while for them to follow the steps required. 

• Like 1

You did exactly the right thing- waiting in your car until you had time to process what happened. Being angry is totally understandable- jumping out of the car and yelling at the teen would not have been. You did the right thing. Not saying you would have yelled at her, but a lot of people do worse than that- they not only yell, they get physical.  

Hope you feel better today. 

• Like 2