Menu

So - for those who celebrate - how is everyone's Christmas prep going?

hornblower

I'm so far behind it's getting ridiculous. 

We lost power yesterday for over 8h. No baking, no laundry, no cleaning - myself, dd & ds had all these house & meal prep things planned & we could do none of them. We played Carcassonne by candlelight instead, which was fun. And even more bonus, due to the wind storm that knocked out the power, there are tons of evergreen branches down with which to decorate. 

I have a uti (because that's always fun for holidays, right?). I finally started antibiotics today but I've been kind of moping along at half the energy for days because I thought it would clear up with home remedies. Ha. 

& not only do I not have presents bought yet - I don't even really have a list of presents yet.  I'll be one of those people stumbling around a mall on Monday. We only do a few small things but they're supposed to be nice and meaningful & I'm not sure how I'll pull that off when I have no ideas, no time to order online and no energy to really explore a mall. 

How's everyone else doing? 

• Sad 1

Baking is done - well almost. Instead of bringing yet another dish to the already large Christmas dinner at SIL's, I decided to make a coffeecake or make scones ahead (without baking) and raspberry butter to go with it. She can bake it and hopefully enjoy it the morning after Christmas when she sees what a mess the whole family has left at her house...

Cooking happens still but no big deal

I am looking to get one more item but not sure I will be able to since the store owner has not called me back yet. Tomorrow will be the only window when I could get it IF it's available but we will all live without it.

I was so delighted to have been able to see Handel's Messiah this year and this has put me in the Christmas mood. I am hoping to attend a midnight Christmas Eve service because I like those and have lots of memories from childhood about candles at midnight...:)

House is as clean as it's going to get. I am working this evening and Sunday evening, then I am off Christmas week until Friday 12/28.

• Like 2

Hornblower, you aren't alone.  I am right there with you in terms of no cooking done, no gifts bought (or even knowing what to buy), etc.  Our house went on the market 10 days ago (such a stupid time to try and move) and I haven't done a single thing to decorate (my realtor suggested not decorating).   I'm cooking for 10 on Christmas Day and just now realized my dining room table leaves and pads are in storage because of the move.  I have done no prep for the meal, grocery store run for ingredients, etc.  The only thing I did was ask the butcher at Publix to put aside a beef tenderloin for me tomorrow when they get their meat shipment in.  We have two showings for the house tomorrow so it isn't like I can mess up my kitchen and start cooking.  So that is my story....

I hope you are feeling better soon!

• Like 1

I am behind where I wanted to be.  I am very anemic right now and just don't have the energy to do everything.  I have been getting baking done with the help of the kids.  I need to get gifts wrapped and the house cleaned for company that is coming on Christmas eve.  But the good news is that DH is off for a four day weekend, so he will be home to help with stuff.

OP I think we live somewhat near you. Our power was out from about 9pm to 8am. We ended up reading books by candlelight/fireplace until 11pm and then camping by the fire... my son loved it 🙂 

Thankfully my parents are doing "Christmas Eve" dinner tomorrow and I don't have to bring anything. Actually picking up our last present tomorrow from a local bike shop. We went a little crazy on gifts this year, but usually we can't so.... 

I'm baking some cookies for DH now and then I still need to figure out what we're eating Christmas day and do any last minute shopping for that.

Sorry you're not feeling well! Meaningful gifts are hard to do last minute much less when you're not feeling well. We usually stick to wish lists unless I've managed to keep some sort of idea list going during the year, which I try to keep updated, some years better than others. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Loowit said:

I am behind where I wanted to be.  I am very anemic right now and just don't have the energy to do everything.  I have been getting baking done with the help of the kids.  I need to get gifts wrapped and the house cleaned for company that is coming on Christmas eve.  But the good news is that DH is off for a four day weekend, so he will be home to help with stuff.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well either. That feeling of dragging yourself through fatigue is awful. I'm sure it will all come together at the end - because it always does, right? And fwiw, candle light and dimmed lights go a long way to hiding messy houses lol . 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pink and Green Mom said:

Hornblower, you aren't alone.  I am right there with you in terms of no cooking done, no gifts bought (or even knowing what to buy), etc.  Our house went on the market 10 days ago (such a stupid time to try and move) and I haven't done a single thing to decorate (my realtor suggested not decorating).   I'm cooking for 10 on Christmas Day and just now realized my dining room table leaves and pads are in storage because of the move.  I have done no prep for the meal, grocery store run for ingredients, etc.  The only thing I did was ask the butcher at Publix to put aside a beef tenderloin for me tomorrow when they get their meat shipment in.  We have two showings for the house tomorrow so it isn't like I can mess up my kitchen and start cooking.  So that is my story....

I hope you are feeling better soon!

omg, selling house & getting ready to move! That is a lot! The closest we got to that level of kerfuffle is we had Christmas during a DIY kitchen reno one year. The stove wasn't hooked up. We ended up cooking on the camping stove in the garage...

• Like 1

I honestly have no idea.  And DH came down with a cold this morning, so he will not really be available for child wrangling.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to assess where things stand tonight and make a feasible plan, but I'm not sure.  Oh, and bake cookies tonight, because I'm supposed to take them for dessert at a friend's tomorrow night.  Upside, I don't have to cook tomorrow evening, downside, I won't have leftovers to foist on everyone for Sunday.

• Like 1

Oh, gosh I am on antibiotics now too, I am glad you mentioned it as I forgot my evening dose!  

I hope you feel better soon, I am prone to UTIs too and they are miserable. You probably know this, but I will mention it because no one ever told me - if you have ain before the drugs start to help, Advil really takes the edge off.

Anyway, Christmas prep. It is going ok. I need to be largely done tommorow, as some guests arrive Sunday and I have stuff on all Christmas Eve night.

Gifts done, and most wrapping.

Food shopping - partly done.  

House cleaning - not done yet, but I am not in terrible shape as far as filth.

Dinner Sunday for guests - planned and bought but not anything done. Dinner Monday for guests - must be done ahead, not done - I think I will do chowder.

Readers for Advent 4 on Sunday, Christmas creche service, not done.  Partly in place, but I have to rehearse the kids, make sure parents know what to do, set out all the props and costumes, and then run the thing xmas eve - it is always a dog's breakfast as it includes hordes of kids who are not parishioners and have no idea what is going on.  PLus, we have a new priest, who has no idea what to expect.  I suspect the kids might mob and devour him.

Christmas pudding, made - just have to make a sauce to take to Christmas morning service.

Christmas tree - kids just finished it, but it is crazy. I need to fix it once they go to bed, the toddler hung all kinds of stuff right at the bottom.

Kids delivered to extra choir practices and turkey delivered - not done because it hasn't happened.

Gin deconstruction with choir director - looking forward to this.

Contract stuff I have to pass in before Christmas - should be done tomorrow, finally.

Dh - has flu I just recovered from and is a pathetic sick person.

On the bright side - I have to do nothing for Christmas dinner, as we are going to a hotel with my dad, and I've just finished half a bottle of rum cream and am pretty mellow, and today was my last day of homeschooling my friend's three lovely but very intense children.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hornblower said:

you're a superwoman. Or just a tiny bit crazy. Or both 😄

Definitely crazy. 

Although, in a minor nod to sanity, I'm considering not wrapping all the stocking stuff this year. It's always been tradition that santa stuff is wrapped in tissue paper (and there is a metric crap ton of it...all useful stuff like chapstick and toothbrushes and bandaids and such for the most part, with a few small treats thrown in, coloring books, new crayons, etc). It's SO much wrapping. SOOOOOOOOO much. I'm thinking this year Santa will leave a note about being environmentally responsible and minimizing paper use. Of course, i'm fairly certain I posted last year that I was going to do that...so.......we shall see. Last year DH vetoed it, despite being the one to bitch the most about it. But this year I think he's onboard. With everything going on with DS and the autoimmune/celiac/who knows what stuff the past two weeks we're behind and it's time to get real. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Yep! I like work - I'm in a bookshop, and I get a kick out of helping people find or choose presents, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

oooooh, a bookshop! I mentioned in another thread I'm binge watching Hallmark Christmas movies and you bookshop staff have amazing love stories at Christmas 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, hornblower said:

I have a uti (because that's always fun for holidays, right?). I finally started antibiotics today but I've been kind of moping along at half the energy for days because I thought it would clear up with home remedies. Ha. 

51 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

@hornblower, so sorry about the UTI.  I have to take daily antibiotics to prevent them. They are awful.  I always cringe when I hear someone has one, so I’m cringing for you.   Huge (((Hugs))).  So glad you are also doing better now (with exception of uti).  

21 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

I hope you feel better soon, I am prone to UTIs too and they are miserable. You probably know this, but I will mention it because no one ever told me - if you have ain before the drugs start to help, Advil really takes the edge off.

Have any of you ever tried D Mannose for the UTI's?  It's a sugar (like glucOSE...DmannOSE.).  I get UTIs but only from time to time, but I never want one again.  The ladies here on WTM recommended DMannose.  I haven't taken it long enough to know whether or not it's stopping me from getting another UTI (only been a couple of weeks, and I've been getting the UTIs only a couple of times a year), but the comments on Amazon are promising.  Obviously there are always people for whom the product won't work, but the overwhelming majority of people said it worked for them.  It either prevented the UTIs from coming at all, or they could up the amount they took and get rid of the UTI within a couple of days without having to use antibiotics.

Here's a link to what I bought.  I get the powder and measure out 2 grams twice a day on a little scale I got for biology and chemistry labs.  

For pain relief, I use Uristat or AZO.  They're over the counter, sometimes not in the store with the other medicines, sometimes they're over by the menstrual stuff.  They take away that nasty pain of the UTI.  UTIs make me feel depressed from that nasty pain, so you guys have my 100% sympathy.    

Edited by Garga

1 minute ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Thanks @Garga!   I do take d-mannose, and it *might* help a little with prevention, but it’s never been able to get rid of the uti’s.  I’ve never really been able to tell much of a difference, tbh.  I do usually take d-mannose after sex.  Idk if it helps or not, but i do it anyway.   I have interstitial cystitis and the uti’s are (probably) caused my urethra inflammation and retaining.   Thank you for mentioning it, though!  I’m always thankful for suggestions! 

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that.  😞   I really am.  UTIs are like a nightmare to me.  You have all my sympathy.  

Our house is still on the market and we closed on the new place three weeks ago. However, it’s 900 miles from here and I’ve been there doing renovations and lining up contractors. So dh and I agreed to only do stockings this year for me, him, and our youngest, who is the only kid left at home.  So far all I have are a gift card for each of them and a can of cashews. I’ve been back home for three days and haven’t baked a thing.  The tree has about 25% of the usual decorations and I’m done. 

Sent checks and some goodies to the three daughters and one still hasn’t been delivered, 13 days after mailing it. 

Probably not going down as my most successful holiday ever. 

• Like 1

We just got back from Universal Studios.  Aside from wrapping presents and hitting up the liquor store I don't have to do anything.  I thought I'd be helping my mom clean and making raviolis with my dad but both of them did those things while we were gone.  So, most likely, the morning of christmas eve I will help mom do some last minute cleaning but other than that nothing. This is the most relaxed Christmas ever

• Like 3

I'm all ready - gifts are bought and wrapped.  I start early and do a little at a time.  All the food is purchased, too.  My adult kids and one SO are coming tomorrow.  My kids are staying until New Year's Eve so it will be a full house.  I am looking forward to it but also nervous because I've had a lot of health issues lately that cause me to feel lousy most of the time.  And they stay up late and I am exhausted by early evening.  Hoping it all goes well.  But I am very grateful to have my whole family under one roof - it doesn't happen often.  

ETA - cleaning is done.  Baking with the kids tomorrow night.  Dd just got her meningitis vaccine booster and she's sensitive to vaccines so I'm hoping she doesn't feel too lousy this weekend and for Christmas.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

Not bad, but not great either.  Presents were done last week; and thank goodness we got the bug up our butts to get it done early because my grandmother died on Monday and we’ve been doing the death vigil and funeral stuff since Saturday.  

But we’ve since moved the location and menu for family Christmas.  I’ll be in Houston tomorrow and then back home for a Solstice party, Ft. Worth on Sunday, and back halfway to Houston on Christmas Day.  Nothing has been cleaned.  I made a pie today after the funeral while my cousin and I made and decorated some Christmas cookies with our kids because they missed the school parties today.  Have to get up early to get hay and cards or I’ll be out of hay before the holidays.  And the extended family is feuding again......

Ready to be done.....

Stefanie

• Sad 1

We have a moderate Christmas and very few family members, so we're all done.  I do my best to divvy up the work in the weeks after Thanksgiving.  I learned the hard way NOT to leave all the present wrapping for one night.  It took me years of being miserable the night before Christmas with a backache to learn that lesson.  I wrap things within a day of them coming into the house.

We don't do a lot of baking.  We used to watch a lot of Christmas TV shows, but haven't done that this year and that freed up a lot of time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

Ha! I'm working there with dh and we barely have a more than a moment to say things like 'I'm taking a loo break' to each other. We're obviously doing it all wrong 🙂

Well, that's a start. Basically you need to:

Catch each other's eye

Flirt and then start to date

Realize you have a MAJOR obstacle to your relationship

Break up

Have one of your minor characters, oops, I mean friends, convince you that you're made for each other, despite the major obstacle

LHEA (live happily ever after)

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I spent three full hours in a walmart today with a toddler on my back in the carrier. I'm tracking a zillion presents to a million people via spreadsheet.

I've developed an eye twitch. 

I could not do Christmas without a spreadsheet!! I do the shopping for my kids get from many relatives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garga said:

Have any of you ever tried D Mannose for the UTI's? .......

UTIs are sooo depressing to me, so you guys have my 100% sympathy.  I get really depressed when I get one.  It's a sort of pain that I just cannot seem to push through.  It overwhelms my brain.

I will look into that! Thanks. 

I know what you mean about the pain. I keep wondering what women did before antibiotics. Or in places where abx are not easily avail. I mean, it's an awful pain and most women get them...and for many it seems to get worse when you get older...

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

Our house is still on the market and we closed on the new place three weeks ago. However, it’s 900 miles from here and I’ve been there doing renovations and lining up contractors. So dh and I agreed to only do stockings this year for me, him, and our youngest, who is the only kid left at home.  So far all I have are a gift card for each of them and a can of cashews. I’ve been back home for three days and haven’t baked a thing.  The tree has about 25% of the usual decorations and I’m done. 

Sent checks and some goodies to the three daughters and one still hasn’t been delivered, 13 days after mailing it. 

Probably not going down as my most successful holiday ever. 

ugh postal stuff! We had a postal strike here that ended just recently. I hope your gift isn't permanently lost...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sdel said:

Not bad, but not great either.  Presents were done last week; and thank goodness we got the bug up our butts to get it done early because my grandmother died on Monday and we’ve been doing the death vigil and funeral stuff since Saturday.  

But we’ve since moved the location and menu for family Christmas.  I’ll be in Houston tomorrow and then back home for a Solstice party, Ft. Worth on Sunday, and back halfway to Houston on Christmas Day.  Nothing has been cleaned.  I made a pie today after the funeral while my cousin and I made and decorated some Christmas cookies with our kids because they missed the school parties today.  Have to get up early to get hay and cards or I’ll be out of hay before the holidays.  And the extended family is feuding again......

Ready to be done.....

Stefanie

oh gosh, that's hard. Life & death go on, regardless of our holiday plans. I hope you find joy in the coming weeks and the extended family behaves. 

1 hour ago, Garga said:

We have a moderate Christmas and very few family members, so we're all done.  I do my best to divvy up the work in the weeks after Thanksgiving.  I learned the hard way NOT to leave all the present wrapping for one night.  It took me years of being miserable the night before Christmas with a backache to learn that lesson.  I wrap things within a day of them coming into the house.

We don't do a lot of baking.  We used to watch a lot of Christmas TV shows, but haven't done that this year and that freed up a lot of time.

Oh the wrapping! It takes so much time. When the kids were young, dh used to stay up all night on the 24th wrapping while I was trying to get the kids to sleep. I like your idea of getting it done as you go. Of course that would require actually having presents early too lol.....

• Haha 1

I still have so much to do, but I'm having trouble with the enthusiasm. I suffer from SAD and it's been a very dark, gray, rainy week and that's not helping at all. Usually I get motivated when we start getting snow, but it hasn't snowed this month! I just want to sit here and surf the internet or read a book. Fortunately, dd12 loves holidays and she's helped me bake some cookies and wrap some of the presents.

2 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

I still have so much to do, but I'm having trouble with the enthusiasm. I suffer from SAD and it's been a very dark, gray, rainy week and that's not helping at all. Usually I get motivated when we start getting snow, but it hasn't snowed this month! I just want to sit here and surf the internet or read a book. Fortunately, dd12 loves holidays and she's helped me bake some cookies and wrap some of the presents.

awwww, that's too bad. Hope you get snow soon! Or maybe putting up twinkling fairy lights inside would help? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hornblower said:

oh gosh, that's hard. Life & death go on, regardless of our holiday plans. I hope you find joy in the coming weeks and the extended family behaves. 

Thank you.  I’ll work out.  My grandma’s passing was the blessing kind (very peaceful) and I have expected it could be any day since Thanksgiving. In 4 days the drama will be a distant buzzing when the culprits retreat to other parts of the state and they’ll never have to get together again.  In the meantime....it seems all areas of my life are a very intensive lesson in how to pass the bean dip and my mom and I have gotten quite good at it.

Stefanie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

@hornblower, so sorry about the UTI.  I have to take daily antibiotics to prevent them. They are awful.  I always cringe when I hear someone has one, so I’m cringing for you.   Huge (((Hugs))).  So glad you are also doing better now (with exception of uti).  

Ds’ gf and I did our baking 2 days ago and have a bunch of cookies in the freezer.   We were going to do divinity and fudge today but it’s wet and nasty outside so we’ll put it off until the humidity is lower.  

I went to the grocery store yesterday (small town grocer instead of Walmart or Kroger like I usually do— much less busy) and got enough to get us through Christmas.  Except!!!! I’m out of coffee.  😫  Kroger is the only place who carries my brand sooooooooo tomorrow it’ll be a quick (ha!) trip there to stock up.   

My parents will come Christmas Eve and go back that night.  Well have Christmas Day to ourselves and dh and I *might* take off for a couple days to get away.  He is off until the following wednesday.  

Presents are bought, wrapped, and ready.  I am ready for December 26.  The holidays are stressful for me.   

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday!   

Kroger is the only store that carries the coffee we like too. Might it be Spotlight?

5 hours ago, Moncha said:

OP I think we live somewhat near you. Our power was out from about 9pm to 8am. We ended up reading books by candlelight/fireplace until 11pm and then camping by the fire... my son loved it 🙂  

Yup, I'm near Vancouver BC. That was some storm! I guess we were lucky that our power is back - some people are still waiting.  Gotta admit I like  how quiet everything gets when the power goes out (well except for the neighbour up the street with a generator lol) 

52 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

We're doing Christmas on Sunday! And though I told dh THREE times that the girls were doing all the music for Christmas Eve, he didn't listen. So, it was all new information to him today, after the girls spent hours choosing and practicing and planning. It was good for them to see--it's not me being a witch. He's losing it. 

Found out today that we'll have an extra for dinner--not sure how that's going to work at the table. And we'll have the bf for presents time--not what I'd planned. So, off to buy him some nice warm socks. Remember that discussion about bf/gf in family photos? Well, I came right out and said--we'll take lots, but there will be some that he will not be in. Dd understood. She'd actually already discussed it with her sister. I suppose I should whip him out a stocking since he WILL be here. Darn. I didn't want to sew tomorrow, but I guess I will. I think I have enough felt. Hmm...now what to put on it! Something hunting-ish. 

eta: Okay. Going to look for a deer/elk ornament. And dd will cut off an antler bit and drill it for me. Add jingle bell and tree. Done. Except for the name embroidery. Why do I do this to myself???

In my mind I like to imagine myself being one of those people who takes extra guests in stride but I know in reality I'd be going eeeeeeeeeeeek 

For your additional gift for the bf, my initial thought was really warm socks. And hang them like a stocking but it would just be the socks being the stocking (& you could shove a chocolate bar and an orange in them...) 

1 hour ago, hornblower said:

Yup, I'm near Vancouver BC. That was some storm! I guess we were lucky that our power is back - some people are still waiting.  Gotta admit I like  how quiet everything gets when the power goes out (well except for the neighbour up the street with a generator lol) 

haha, yes we have that neighbor behind us too. We actually went out for a short 5 minute walk just to see what it's like with no lights, and the wind, wow!... and I told my family we are heading down the street AWAY from the generator.... 🙂 

• Like 1

We're having a very different Christmas this year. We were always fairly low-key and never did a ton of gifts. But this year I am working, my husband is not, so I have no time to do my usual things, and we have no money (I make less an a quarter of what he did).  I haven't had time for my usual baking spree. We just bought some cards to send to a few people. We have decided that now the kids are adults, we can skip the photo card so that takes some pressure off.  I'm sending a few family members a year-old photo of our kids that never got sent out last year; they haven't changed all that much. :-)    

Hugs to all who are struggling. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hornblower said:

awwww, that's too bad. Hope you get snow soon! Or maybe putting up twinkling fairy lights inside would help? 

I woke up this morning to a light coating of snow. It's just enough to look like Christmas without requiring shoveling or causing dangerous roads.

I'm surprised by how many people said they get money from relatives and shop and wrap gifts for their kids. My mom has always done that. She's never been the kind of grandma who shops for grandkids.

Oh, and dh decided that this is the weekend that ds needs to start his very big and complicated Eagle Scout project in our garage! I'm not sure how much help we'll get this close to Christmas and I have cleaning and wrapping to do since the family Christmas is at our house.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 1

I don't cook and have no plans for baking.  The only thing we are hosting this year is oldest dd joining us for Christmas morning.  My mother has come over the past few years too but it looks like she's going to my aunt's house instead this year.  Dh will make breakfast - maybe pancakes, maybe eggs.  We're taking my dad and his wife out to lunch tomorrow since they have trouble maneuvering on our gravel driveway and walkway, and around our small house with the dog trying to trip everyone.  

I'm running out to Walmart at 9pm tonight to finish up shopping.  I just need a few stocking stuffers and a couple small things for oldest dd (who got a new bed for Christmas that was already delivered. I want her to have a few things to open).  I figure it won't be too bad that late.

I still need to wrap everything.  Literally not a single thing has been wrapped yet.

I need to do a little cleaning but since it's only oldest dd who is coming over, it won't be that much.  She's staying here to watch the dog while we visit in-laws (she lives with my mom) so I'll need to put clean sheets on the bed and I should clean the bathroom a little.  She could have friends over to hang-out so I don't want it to be too gross.

• Like 1

Presents all here but not all wrapped. There's also one for ds that won't arrive until after Jan. 1st. so I printed a picture of it and put it in with his other gifts.

We found out Thursday night that we're hosting this year. Dss and ddil have been hosting for the past 6 years. They've been over it for a year or two and I've been telling them we'll host if they want us too (her mother has offered too). Thursday at 8pm I got a text from ddil asking if we're still willing. Today I'll be shopping for for food and we're all deciding who will bring what sides. Ddil's mother, stepfather, and sister will be here too. We've always celebrated with both families. The last minute meal planning is okay with me. I'm Italian. Feeding people is my superpower. However, housecleaning isn't. I barely have muggle powers for that. 😄 It's just family so I don't have to go all out but I do have to do a more thorough job than if we weren't hosting.

I plan to bake cookies tomorrow. I'll make my sauce and meatballs for Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, goodness.  I'm  behind.

So far: presents wrapped, groceries bought, most sweets made.  On the table are:
-oeppermint marshmallow snowmen
-sea salt caramels
-eggnog truffles
-chocolate cookies
-gingerbread cookies
-3 kinds of fudge (peanut butter, Irish Creme, plain)

Dh is finishing the dark chocolate peppermint truffles, but the chocolate he's using for coating keeps seizing. It's a mess. I'm not getting the shortbread made.  I made the boxes for the sweets so we can hand them out to the neighbors.
Christmas cards never got sent this year.  The kids ate the buckeyes as soon as I finished them, so those aren't part of the Christmas treats. 😄 And dh's slippers never got made.  Half of our usual activities for school were dropped, sadly, too.

I'm going to find peace in the undone.  I hope. Right now I'm watching the world's worst Christmas movie (Christmas Icetastrophe), which we actually saw before it added the "Christmas" part to the name.  Although, I think it may be in competition with the one on directly before that: Santa Jaws. 😄

• Like 1

I am at the what-did-i-forget stage just now, which I think is pretty good considering we didn't know dh would have a job until November 30th and so I held off christmas shopping until then.  Sorted stocking stuffers, wrapped major gifts, got about 1/2 of groceries for Christmas dinner, yard decorations just went up and tree done. I have one kiddo who won't be here until February because she works retail and vacations were blacked out from mid-November to end of January. Hopefully she'll have a *better* job next year, both paywise and vacationwise.

As far as I know it will just be the 5 of us and the kids want to leave things out until oldest dd comes but I would rather keep just what is for dd or send her another box and get the christmas stuff put away in early January.

Housepainters are FINALLY finished -- the process was going to be 2 weeks, but with rainy weather it was more like 4 weeks done in between storms. New paint job looks lovely and they did a lot of painting/patching/sanding so I'm very happy with it. I think next will be window cleaning and carpet cleaning....but maybe in February!

• Like 1

I am only cooking for 7 and will have a little help. We don't do a big gift exchange. DS opened his gift when he brought it in off the porch-but he already knew what it was. He opened his stocking a few days ago, because he is going back to his apartment in another city on the 28th. I wanted him to have time to enjoy the treats while he was here. His stocking has contained candy for the last few years.

I plan to make a pecan pie and cherry cream cheese pie tomorrow. Also will make raspberry cream cheese coffee cake and toffee. I think that will be it for the sweets. I will make a corn dish and green beans and put the lasagna together ready to bake.

• Like 1

I don't even know. The orthopedist cleared me to stop wearing the CAM boot for my broken ankle this week, and trying to relearn how to walk normally while also trying to get ready for Christmas has been...interesting.

The gifts are all here and wrapped, although things got a little dicey with a few of them, because they took an unexpected detour in their shipping route. All of the food has been purchased, but mostly it's still just ingredients. I did get our Christmas Eve dessert made today (a sugar cookie cheesecake), and I'll decorate that tomorrow. We finally baked some cookies today, too.

Oh, and our hot water heater died yesterday, and we probably won't be able to have it fixed until Wednesday, because a part had to be ordered. So that's fun. Cold showers for everyone!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrsMommy said:

I don't even know. The orthopedist cleared me to stop wearing the CAM boot for my broken ankle this week, and trying to relearn how to walk normally while also trying to get ready for Christmas has been...interesting.

The gifts are all here and wrapped, although things got a little dicey with a few of them, because they took an unexpected detour in their shipping route. All of the food has been purchased, but mostly it's still just ingredients. I did get our Christmas Eve dessert made today (a sugar cookie cheesecake), and I'll decorate that tomorrow. We finally baked some cookies today, too.

Oh, and our hot water heater died yesterday, and we probably won't be able to have it fixed until Wednesday, because a part had to be ordered. So that's fun. Cold showers for everyone!

oh no - no hot water?!! yikes!!! And sore leg?!  Poor you!