Menu

Talk me into buying an Instant Pot (or not)

4Kiddos

I know there have been threads about this before but I can't seem to find them. Amazon has the 8 qt Duo Plus for sale today for $89.95 and so I have some questions. First off, is that a good price for this? Secondly, would it be a good buy for someone like me? People rave about it all the time so I have thought about it in the past but have never bought obviously. I am fairly frugal and $90 is a lot of money. But, if it would make my life so much easier I would love that. So, I have six kids who like to eat a lot and so I cook from scratch pretty much every meal. We eat a lot of plant based dinners but do eat meat once or twice a week. I used to own a crockpot but never bought a new one after it broke as everything seems to turn out mushy and all one flavor. My philosophy on kitchen equipment (and pretty much everything else besides books) is to have a minimal amount but have the items be really beautiful and lovely to use. I guess we are foodies too as I like to make all sorts of lovely things from various cuisines and I am an experienced baker. Finally, I also my eye on a nice waffle maker and a wooden wheat grinder to possibly buy someday and could put the money I would spend on an Instant Pot toward those. So, knowing all this, would the Instant Pot be worth it to you? What do you use yours for and how is it different than a pot on the stove or oven? Does it make everything taste the same or is the flavor of the food the same as if you made it on the stove/oven? Is the texture the same? What are the best uses for an Instant Pot?

My couple of go to meals that I make in my IP make it worth the $$$ and space it takes.  And...if ya'll like baked potatoes, my family doesn't want to eat them out anymore.  They come out perfect in the IP.  Takes about 15-20 minutes total with a few extra minutes if you rub olive oil and salt on them and put them in the over for another 10 minutes.  Awesome!!!

I waited for a long time to get an instant pot because it seemed like so many of the recipes I saw were for food we don’t really eat, especially since I like to cook food from different cuisines too.  Then I found a bunch of Indian recipes and realized that a pressure cooker can be used for lots of things so I treat it like a useful appliance that can cook things quickly rather than a gadget that requires certain recipes.  I almost never use an IP recipe but instead cook what I like to cook but find ways for the Instant Pot to be useful.  It has made a lot of dishes much more convenient to make, especially steamed things I would avoid making because they were so much hassle. So for me, it’s been a very worthwhile purchase and I use it all the time.

The main way that it’s different from a pot on the stove is that I don’t have to watch it at all, plus a lot of things do cook more quickly.  Not everything, but even when the timing is similar, I don’t have to be in the kitchen watching a pot on the stove and can be doing something else. 

• Like 1

I don't know if that's a good price or not. I got my 6 quart pot in July for $49, which I think was a record low.

I like it for making hard boiled eggs, because the shells peel off so easily. And for stock, because it goes quickly and doesn't leave the house smelling for hours on end. I also use it for cooking large batches of meat, like chicken or pork. I sear it, pressure cook in liquid, then shred and freeze. It's also nice for pot roasts and such. Oh, and beans and lentils. I've also used it to steam larger veggies like beets. One of these days I'm going to try yogurt  - I used to have a yogurt maker but it didn't survive my last kitchen purge, because I didn't use it much.

I've only made a couple of full meals in it, so I can't really answer if it makes everything taste the same. I would caution you that veggies cook at different rates, and usually faster than meats, so pay attention to times or you'll wind up with mushy stuff.

Honestly, I kind of forgot about my instant pot for the last couple of months. Part of it was that life got crazy and looking up special instant pot recipes is more work. I'm also an experienced cook and sometimes when life is hectic it's just easier to go with what you know, rather than experiment with a new doohicky. Ironically, during the time I forgot about using it, I was eating a lot of instant pot meat out of the freezer. 😄 

I know a lot of people who rave about it and call it a game changer, but if you're already a good and experienced cook, you probably already make things that are just as delicious. I kind of suspect that those people just don't know a lot about cooking technique, and/or needed some inspiration, kwim? For someone who already cooks a lot, the instant pot really shines when it saves you time. So if it's likely to help with meals your family already enjoys, it might be worth it. For what I get out of it, I think the money I paid was worth it.

I own all the appliances and I still couldn’t justify the Instant Pot. I have an old school pressure cooker instead. I consider a pressure cooker essential equipment, but my mother and grandmother always used one too. I didn’t realize until the IP craze that a whole generation was discovering pressure cooking for the first time.  

If you go with a pressure cooker instead, it’s cheaper, faster, and can be used a just a pot or a traveling pot with a lid that locks. It’s also much easier to store. 

I absolutely adore my IP and use it constantly.  But honestly, you sound pretty opposite of me.  I hated cooking, have meat at nearly every meal and would never describe kitchen equipment or food I made as "lovely".  I like my veggies roasted in the oven or sauteed on the stove, never steamed or boiled.

For me the IP was a game changer.  It totally took away the drudgery of fixing dinner Every. Single. Night.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 4Kiddos said:

I know there have been threads about this before but I can't seem to find them. Amazon has the 8 qt Duo Plus for sale today for $89.95 and so I have some questions. First off, is that a good price for this? Secondly, would it be a good buy for someone like me? People rave about it all the time so I have thought about it in the past but have never bought obviously. I am fairly frugal and $90 is a lot of money. But, if it would make my life so much easier I would love that. So, I have six kids who like to eat a lot and so I cook from scratch pretty much every meal. We eat a lot of plant based dinners but do eat meat once or twice a week. I used to own a crockpot but never bought a new one after it broke as everything seems to turn out mushy and all one flavor. My philosophy on kitchen equipment (and pretty much everything else besides books) is to have a minimal amount but have the items be really beautiful and lovely to use. I guess we are foodies too as I like to make all sorts of lovely things from various cuisines and I am an experienced baker. Finally, I also my eye on a nice waffle maker and a wooden wheat grinder to possibly buy someday and could put the money I would spend on an Instant Pot toward those. So, knowing all this, would the Instant Pot be worth it to you? What do you use yours for and how is it different than a pot on the stove or oven? Does it make everything taste the same or is the flavor of the food the same as if you made it on the stove/oven? Is the texture the same? What are the best uses for an Instant Pot?

It was worth it for me. Yes, $90 is a good price for an 8qt (I have the 6qt) (in fact, I have two 6qt machines).

I also have a grain mill, but I haven't ground my own flour in many years. 🙂

I have used my IP to make/cook yogurt, white rice, lemon curd, dulce le leche, turkey breast, meatloaf, Mississippi pot roast, chicken and rice, lots of other random concoctions 🙂 , countless cheesecake, and elebenty dozen hard-cooked eggs. 🙂 Of all the gadgets I have bought over the last 45 years, I think I have used my IP the most.

One of the things I appreciate about my IP is that once I press the button, I can walk away. I don't have to adjust anything or watch the clock.

If you would use a pressure cooker then an Instant Pot is a good idea. If not, I wouldn't buy one. I like mine but it's a tool. Some people cook in it nightly or at least 4-5 times a week. I don't do that any more than I cook in my crock pot 4-5 times a week. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

Thanks for starting this thread, OP.  I don't think that I can justify an Instant Pot -- I already have a crockpot that I use constantly and an ordinary pressure cooker that I almost never use.  But I keep thinking that I would almost certainly use an electric pressure cooker and I could definitely use a second crockpot .....

The instant pot makes beautiful brown rice, wild rice (Trader Joes, the straight wild rice), quinoa, etc. And yes, it has been amazing for us because it made lunch a snap. Now we can throw in potatoes, sweet potatoes, whatever we're in the mood for and they're ready fast! It's simple enough that my dh can understand it and cook basic things for himself. It's safe enough that no one is worried about using it, where we would never use the old style pressure cookers I grew up with. And soup, soup is AMAZING cooked in the instant pot. The flavors come together very quickly.

I agree with the advice to look at what you already make and think about how you'd do those same things in the instant pot more conveniently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klmama said:

What do you cook in each size (6 qt vs 8)?  Does it need to be full?  

I have both sizes and the biggest advantage of the 8qt size is that the diameter of the pot is larger, so you can sauté larger pieces of meat in it (or more smaller pieces of any kind of food.) Obviously, you can also cook more food in the larger pot, but the larger area for browning is the thing I like the best. It saves a lot of time.

I was happy with my 6qt Instant Pot, but I like the size of the larger one better. I have the Ultra 10-in-One 8qt, but the one on sale at Amazon today is the same kind I have in the 6qt size and it’s an excellent choice. 

I think you should get one! I have a regular pressure cooker and I liked it until I got my first Instant Pot. Now I never use it at all because the IP is much more convenient for me.  🙂

• Like 1

I have an IP and I love it, but it's NOT a fancy crockpot, and comparing it to a crockpot is like comparing apples to oranges.   It's an electronic pressure cooker, which is completely different from a slow cooker that you plug in and forget about all day.  It needs tending and you need to be able to pay attention to it. 

But to answer a few of your questions, everything cooked in the IP does not taste the same.  That funky "crockpot taste" is not present- at least, I've yet to find it with all of the different dishes I've cooked in it.

I really like it for a lot of the things already mentioned- rice, eggs, beans, soups, etc.  But I *could* make all those things decently on the stove-top, so I wouldn't call it essential for that.  

I do like that most recipes written for the IP include a lot of scratch ingredients, unlike crockpot cookbooks that start with cans and boxes and all kinds of processed stuff. 

I have the 8 quart- it's big and takes up a good size piece of counter real estate.  Mine lives on my counter permanently.  That price on Amazon for that size pot is very good!  I just noticed it at Sam's Club yesterday for $119.

• Like 1

Mine was given to me as a gift. I'm still on the fence about it. 

It does turn out out great grains, potatoes, mac and cheese, and hard cooked eggs. 

However, after a year of owning mine, I've only got one entree recipe that I like. Butter chicken, no less, so, not the healthiest dinner. 😊 

Ribs and chicken breasts had a rubbery texture. Dishes that need the flavor melding thing, like spaghetti, teriyaki chicken, chicken lo mein, sweet and sour chicken, and orange chicken did not get the flavor melding thing. To me, it tasted like the ingredients were thrown together and warmed up. 

I was just given the America's Test Kitchen electric pressure cooker cookbook and I am going to try their recipe for chicken tortilla soup this week. I have their New Best Recipe Cookbook from years ago as a wedding gift and I use it often. So I'm hopeful that they will be my ticket to Instant Pot success! 

I have had one for 6 months or so. I've used it maybe 7 times? Mostly whole chickens. A lot of my meals I've already streamlined to be be fast, and I've found the IP version to take more time once you factor in the heat up and then de-pressure. Sure the cook time is only 25 minutes, but it still is a 50ish minute round trip, for something I could make in 40-45. I keep saying I need to find better recipes or new things: yogurt or something I've never tried before, to make it worthwhile. But I don't have the time to make it worthwhile at this point. So, it'll just be used for emergency frozen whole chickens for now. 

eta: also, if you have the counter space to keep it out (or storage to make it easy access) maybe you find more uses for it. I have to store mine deep in the bottom cabinet and so it has an out of sight out of mind thing for me, and I avoid the extra steps to take it out. 

Edited by Moonhawk

I've had mine about a year. I tried all sorts of entrees in it at first, but after a while I've figured out in what ways it really shines and just use it for those things. I use mine almost daily for:

boiled eggs - BEST boiled eggs ever

yogurt - I make this about once a week. Very, very simple and the end product is thick, rich Greek yogurt that isn't full of sugar and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. 

brown rice - very simple and perfect texture

mac n cheese - super quick and perfect for kids' lunch

soup - You can achieve the flavor of an all-day-simmer-on-the-back-of-the-stove chili or soup with a just a few minutes in the IP. 

chicken stock - Throw a carcass, some veggies and water in there and you'be got rich, golden broth in a half hour. 

It's been totally worth it for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

I have had one for 6 months or so. I've used it maybe 7 times? Mostly whole chickens. A lot of my meals I've already streamlined to be be fast, and I've found the IP version to take more time once you factor in the heat up and then de-pressure. Sure the cook time is only 25 minutes, but it still is a 50ish minute round trip, for something I could make in 40-45. I keep saying I need to find better recipes or new things: yogurt or something I've never tried before, to make it worthwhile. But I don't have the time to make it worthwhile at this point. So, it'll just be used for emergency frozen whole chickens for now. 

eta: also, if you have the counter space to keep it out (or storage to make it easy access) maybe you find more uses for it. I have to store mine deep in the bottom cabinet and so it has an out of sight out of mind thing for me, and I avoid the extra steps to take it out. 

This is why I went with a stovetop pressure cooker. I can get it to pressure really fast. If I want to release pressure quickly, I just plunge it in cold water or release the rocker-thingy with a wooden spoon.  I can also stack it with my pots for storage. 

I have (and dislike) and electric pressure cooker so no IP for me.  I found that while the cooking time is shortened it takes time to come up to and release pressure in addition to the cook time.  To cook cauliflower took 20-25 minutes including getting to pressure...I can make it faster on the stove.  Or a traditional stovetop pressure cooker. It does take longer than recipes say...

The set it and ignore aspect IS really cool- like an air fryer which I use constantly- it doesn’t overcook or risk being unattended.  

But I use my crockpot.

6 hours ago, JennyD said:

Thanks for starting this thread, OP.  I don't think that I can justify an Instant Pot -- I already have a crockpot that I use constantly and an ordinary pressure cooker that I almost never use.  But I keep thinking that I would almost certainly use an electric pressure cooker and I could definitely use a second crockpot .....

And the IP can be used like a crockpot.  

DH says that you can buy spring form thingees to put in the IP and then you can make cakes in it.  He’s intrigued and thinking of trying it out.  🙂

I use the IP for cooking rice and for cooking beans.  DH uses it constantly to make lunches for himself.  He makes pork and beef and chicken and soups and all sorts of things in it.  I’m a picky eater and so are the boys, so we eat bland dinners that don’t need the IP, and that’s why DH makes himself fancy lunches with the pot.

2 minutes ago, Garga said:

DH says that you can buy spring form thingees to put in the IP and then you can make cakes in it.  He’s intrigued and thinking of trying it out.  🙂

I use the IP for cooking rice and for cooking beans.  DH uses it constantly to make lunches for himself.  He makes pork and beef and chicken and soups and all sorts of things in it.  I’m a picky eater and so are the boys, so we eat bland dinners that don’t need the IP, and that’s why DH makes himself fancy lunches with the pot.

Cheesecake turns out very, very well in the IP.  I bought the springform pan for it at Aldi several months ago for $5.

• Like 2

I use mine mostly for chicken for tacos, black beans, rice or barley (for breakfast). I like that I don't have to babysit it, but it's not necessarily faster. I should have gotten a bigger one from the start because with 8 people I can't cook whole meals in mine.

I use it enough to be worth it, but I should learn how to do more.

I got one a year or more ago and didn’t use it much until the last month.  The reason I’m using it more now is because I became vegetarian and I’m in the process of converting to a whole food plant based diet.  It has made it so easy to cook dry bean based and whole grain meals.  I don’t like eating too many canned products and dry beans are way cheaper, and I can decide to have fresh black beans to make burritos is about an hour with no soaking/etc.  I don’t have to figure out my menu hours or days ahead of time if I want fresh cooked beans.  The beans only take 30 min or so to cook, but it does take time to pressurize and de pressurize.  Stews, soups, chilis, curries, plain cooked beans for hummus, wraps, etc are all easy.  I haven’t tried it for stir fry but I bet it would work.

I prefer to cook one dish meals (everything combined, not a separate protein, sides, etc), which The IP is great for.  It’s also good for a main dish meal if you prepare other sides, or even sides that are time consuming.

I still use my rice cooker to cook a lot of grains separately if I’m not making a stew or soup.

I love the texture, vs a crock pot which cooks too soft for me (maybe I use the crock pot for too long).  And I really like the crock pot for convenience but the IP is more convenient because I can have a meal within an hour instead of needing to prep by lunch.  

I am frugal and until recently thought it was a waste of money for my cooking style, but since my diet change it has been the best decision and I’m glad I have it.  It does make a lot, like a crockpot.  You may even get some leftovers once in a while to help with cooking.  If not, you could batch cook multiple meals or foods in one day if you desired to save on food prep for the week, since a lot of whole food meals reheat well IMO.  I cook only one lb of beans at a time but I’m sure there’s room for at least 2+ lbs, or more, and I have a smallish one.

7 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

That’s interesting because I have found that my Instant Pots get up to pressure very quickly, and many recipes use the quick release so there is no wait for depressurization. 

I usually use the sauté function to brown my ingredients and then add the required amount of liquid, so the IP is already pretty hot by the time I set it to start pressure cooking. Maybe that’s why it reaches pressure so quickly when I use it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrsRobinson said:

Mine was given to me as a gift. I'm still on the fence about it. 

It does turn out out great grains, potatoes, mac and cheese, and hard cooked eggs. 

However, after a year of owning mine, I've only got one entree recipe that I like. Butter chicken, no less, so, not the healthiest dinner. 😊 

Ribs and chicken breasts had a rubbery texture. Dishes that need the flavor melding thing, like spaghetti, teriyaki chicken, chicken lo mein, sweet and sour chicken, and orange chicken did not get the flavor melding thing. To me, it tasted like the ingredients were thrown together and warmed up. 

I was just given the America's Test Kitchen electric pressure cooker cookbook and I am going to try their recipe for chicken tortilla soup this week. I have their New Best Recipe Cookbook from years ago as a wedding gift and I use it often. So I'm hopeful that they will be my ticket to Instant Pot success! 

This was really helpful. I have been wondering about flavors and textures. Yes, I can throw a pot of chili together and eat within an hour, but it always tastes better when it simmers for awhile. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

That’s interesting because I have found that my Instant Pots get up to pressure very quickly, and many recipes use the quick release so there is no wait for depressurization. 

I usually use the sauté function to brown my ingredients and then add the required amount of liquid, so the IP is already pretty hot by the time I set it to start pressure cooking. Maybe that’s why it reaches pressure so quickly when I use it. 

Hmm. Yeah it takes at least 10 minutes to reach temp for me, but I don't do anything like saute to help that side out. For de-pressure, some recipes I've tried say not to use the quick release (I don't know if it would actually affect the recipe). But even with quick release it takes more than 5 minutes, yes? Am I doing something wrong?

3 hours ago, Garga said:

Our old slow cooker died. (Well, the cord de-attached in a very horrific way & super-handy Electrical Engineer DH said it wouldn't be safe to reattach it & keep using it. So, thinking the IP could be used as a slow cooker, I got a slow cooker for Christmas last year.

Massive, massive fail. The IP is not a good slow cooker.

So, now I have a new slow cooker and the IP is used for cooking hard boiled eggs, the occasional frozen chicken breast, and that's about it. I've tried a bunch of recipes but the family & I are not fans of most of them. (They are not fans of the IP mac & cheese that everyone else raves about. They prefer the Kraft box kind prepared on the stove. *shrug*) I did make a cheesecake in the IP. It took just as long as my normal ones & it had to be smaller than my usual ones. I used the IP to make some monkey bread but only one kid liked it & it was more work than my usual homemade monkey bread.

I think it is funny that some of you mention a crock pot taste or smell or something, but I think the IP has a certain taste that it carries (maybe from the inner seal?). We love our slow cooker and could let go of the IP without a lot of regret. So, I agree with some of the others -- it depends on how you cook & what you cook.

1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

Hmm. Yeah it takes at least 10 minutes to reach temp for me, but I don't do anything like saute to help that side out. For de-pressure, some recipes I've tried say not to use the quick release (I don't know if it would actually affect the recipe). But even with quick release it takes more than 5 minutes, yes? Am I doing something wrong?

I’ll bet the sautéing is what makes the difference. I use the quick release for some recipes but not for others. I often wait a little while and then do the quick release, because I’m too impatient to wait for the natural release.  (I guess that’s sort of a semi-quick release!)

I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. For all I know, I’m the one who’s doing something wrong!  😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 4Kiddos said:

We eat a plant-based diet and use the insta-pot almost daily.  It's great for beans and grains along with recipes that I've found.  Some sites that I use are Oh She Glows and 365 days of slow cooking + insta-pot.  I'm not sure about the price though because I bought my 6qt last year on an Amazon Prime Day deal. 

Edited by Starfish
  • Like 1