Menu

Movies you consider Christmas movies...

alisoncooks

...even though they aren't really Christmas movies.

I mean, of course "Elf" and "It's a Wonderful Life" are Christmas movies. But how about "Love Actually?" I mean, it partially takes place during Christmas and there's the school play scene... (but there's also the p0rn shoot scene, so, um.....Merry Christmas...?)

What random movies does your family traditionally watch at Christmas?

For me:

"Little Women" totally feels Christmas-y

So does "A Little Princess"

"While You Were Sleeping" - this is a Christmas movie, right?

• Like 6

Couple more that I thought of:

Serendipity (John Cusack)

The Last Holiday (Queen Latifah and LL Cool J) -- this one is great, LOL.

I loved Last Holiday. I watched it once at the beach house (I think, through a Redbox rental). I would love to watch it again, though.

This needs to be a new tradition...

...for many years I watched, with or without the kids, Rudolph, Mr. Krueger, and a couple of others and I just found out in the last 2 or 3 years that my dh hated to hear or watch any of them!! Gasp! How dare he! So, I don't know what else we'll be watching this season. 

College Road Trip but I can only watch that so many times. lol

I work at a library and someone came in the other day wanting some of her favorite holiday movies. Which ones? Trading Places and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.  I never thought of those as holiday movies myself!

We're pretty traditional here, but we do include the Die Hard movies as Christmas movies.

• Like 1

I work at a library and someone came in the other day wanting some of her favorite holiday movies. Which ones? Trading Places and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.  I never thought of those as holiday movies myself!

We're pretty traditional here, but we do include the Die Hard movies as Christmas movies.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is totally a Thanksgiving movie. 

We watch it every year the evening before Thanksgiving. 

• Like 3

I work at a library and someone came in the other day wanting some of her favorite holiday movies. Which ones? Trading Places and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. I never thought of those as holiday movies myself!

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a Thanksgiving movie! It is our family tradition. We love that movie. Lethal Weapon 1 happens at Christmas. It's Christmassy like Die Hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I was going to say Little Women too.  That's always the first Christmas movie we watch, because it's not really a Christmas movie, but has lots of Christmas scenes in it.  We've come to think of it as an early Christmas movie.  :)  

• Like 2

The Bishop's Wife (or remake The Preachers Wife w/ Whitney Houston) takes place at Christmas

You've Got Mail

Holiday Inn is a lesser known movie (Fred Astaire & Bing Crosby) that is a close cousin White Christmas.  Obviously Christmas, but unknown among my friends. :) 

The Bishop's Wife (or remake The Preachers Wife w/ Whitney Houston) takes place at Christmas

You've Got Mail

Holiday Inn is a lesser known movie (Fred Astaire & Bing Crosby) that is a close cousin White Christmas.  Obviously Christmas, but unknown among my friends. :)

Holiday Inn is definitely a Christmas movie! It's the one that gave "White Christmas" to the world!

I hate the blackface, but sometimes I still watch it. 

The Sound of Music is one I associate with Christmas. I think that’s because it is always on TV in December and when I was pretty young (maybe 5?) my older sister and I got tickets to see a live performance for Christmas.

Star Wars because the whole original trilogy is on the DVR at the beach condo where we spend Christmas. Same with the Harry Potter movies.

These go along with White Christmas and Meet Me in St Louis.

I watch a bunch of oldies:

It Happened on Fifth Avenue (dh will actually watch this one every year with us)

The Bishop's Wife (Cary Grant version here)

Christmas in Connecticut (Barbara Stanwyck)

Remember the Night (Barbara Stanwyck)

Christmas in July

A Christmas Wish

The Family Man (Nicholas Cage)

Tenth Avenue Angel (Margaret OBrien)

Others I watch although they aren't really Christmas:

Pocketful of Miracles (Bette Davis)

Boys Town (Spencer Tracy)