Menu

Houston area people...check in if you can

Liz CA

Harvey is on the move back to the Gulf which means my town is getting tropical storm force winds and buckets of rain. They called for a mandatory evacuation of the entire county below us that borders the coast. The entire county is supposed to be under 10 feet of water by the end of the day today due to the flooding river in my town I mentioned earlier. The river normally drains into the Gulf in the county below us but with Harvey moving back out into the Gulf, the ocean will be pushing back up onto shore which means all that flood water going down the river has nowhere to drain so it's backing up and flooding the entire county.

It's unimaginable the amount of destruction Houston and the surrounding area are experiencing right now. I'm so thankful that we aren't flooding (right now at least) and still have power.

• Like 6

In-laws are now under mandatory evacuations in Richmond.  They are concerned the Brazos River levee fail as soon as this evening.  It is already several feet higher than it has ever been.  They have given them about 6hrs to leave.  They will head to Cinco Ranch/Katy to stay with family.  What is even more concerning is that the evacuation from Barker Reservoir in Cinco Ranch is super close to SIL house.  We are further north along 99 but not sure about roadways, and there is NO gasoline near us due to stations being shut down.

Rough night because wind was strongest it has been.  We've had some stuff knocked down, but we were prepared for it at least.  We did have a longish break from the heavy rain which helped water recede a little.  But it is medium rain again right now.

My parents had water coming up driveway.  Too close for comfort.  But water receded back to top of curbs in streets between midnight and 5am.  The rain break helped.

I think everyone is strung out even if they are dry thus far.  Alerts are going off non-stop and just when you think you can look away from news/info, weather goes crazy and you must be right back on top of it.  There is just no mental relief.  Not complaining.  We are doing a million times better than millions of people, but we are mentally exhausted. 

Y'all stay safe.

• Like 9

Ben Taub county hospital couldn't evac last night because ambulances cant drive out.  They are set to run out of food after dinner tomorrow.  They need for a vendor to get some food into them for the patients.  The water receded directly around hospital thankfully.  The hospital had basement flooded rendering all their supply stores useless.  They still cant evac anyone.   :(

ETA:  In-laws in new location.  Had some scary spots to get through, but they are safe.

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 6

In-laws are now under mandatory evacuations in Richmond. They are concerned the Brazos River levee fail as soon as this evening. It is already several feet higher than it has ever been. They have given them about 6hrs to leave. They will head to Cinco Ranch/Katy to stay with family. What is even more concerning is that the evacuation from Barker Reservoir in Cinco Ranch is super close to SIL house. We are further north along 99 but not sure about roadways, and there is NO gasoline near us due to stations being shut down.

Rough night because wind was strongest it has been. We've had some stuff knocked down, but we were prepared for it at least. We did have a longish break from the heavy rain which helped water recede a little. But it is medium rain again right now.

My parents had water coming up driveway. Too close for comfort. But water receded back to top of curbs in streets between midnight and 5am. The rain break helped.

I think everyone is strung out even if they are dry thus far. Alerts are going off non-stop and just when you think you can look away from news/info, weather goes crazy and you must be right back on top of it. There is just no mental relief. Not complaining. We are doing a million times better than millions of people, but we are mentally exhausted.

Y'all stay safe.

My family members in Katy are being evacuated by boat...

• Like 5

My family members in Katy are being evacuated by boat...

Dh's ex-wife and her family in Katy were preparing to move up to the second floors/attics of neighbors armed with axes last night.  We've told her that if they can get here we have a place for them all to stay.  

Stefanie

• Like 8

Ben Taub county hospital couldn't evac last night because ambulances cant drive out.  They are set to run out of food after dinner tomorrow.  They need for a vendor to get some food into them for the patients.  The water receded directly around hospital thankfully.  The hospital had basement flooded rendering all their supply stores useless.  They still cant evac anyone.   :(

ETA:  In-laws in new location.  Had some scary spots to get through, but they are safe.

If the highways into Houston are flooded, help from other areas cannot get into Houston. Hopefully the highways will be passable in the near future. When the airport runways (Intercontinental, Hobby and possibly Ellington (I'm not sure about the length and capacity of their runway(s)) are OK for operations, I suspect the USAF will begin sending in giant C5 Cargo Planes, with Huge Trucks and with Boats, along with other things that are needed in Houston.  

With regard to the Hospital, they will either need vehicles that can go in very deep water, or, they will need to do that via Helicopters, until things improve.  Not good...

This is an unprecedented event (Act of God) and will take years for the city of Houston and S.E. Texas to recover from.

From here in the "Deep South" (South America) we are hoping everyone will be safe.  Cars and other material things are Plastic and can be replaced, but lives cannot be replaced.

I'm glad your In-Laws are in a safer location now. 

• Like 5

My sister thankfully has not flooded yet and still has power, but like someone said upthread, she is stressed out to the max with all the tornado warnings, going out in the middle of the night to clear drains, etc. My brother is withhout power since Saturday and is not flooded yet, but it is very close. He needs to decide if he is going to stay there or go to my sister's house before the bayou that separates them floods and makes it impassable. My sister said she was at her local HEB this morning to resupply a little and the lady said they aren't getting any more shipments so are just putting everything out and when it's gone, that's it. They probably won't be open tomorrow.

• Like 3

Does anyone know what The Heights is like in terms of flooding and power? The area lost power but was not flooded in Ike. But this seems so much worse.

ETA

I am not in TX, but have relatives there. I last spoke Saturday morning, no contact since then.

My brother is in the Heights (less than half a mile west of the flooded I-45) and, as of yesterday evening, his yard was soaked but the house is fine, and he still had power. His Direct TV was out, so he couldn't watch the news. I was filling him in on what I was seeing/reading. We have another relative in the same neighborhood, 6 blocks west of my brother, and his place is also ok. 

• Like 5

It's our turn up here on the NW side. Yesterday, I was helplessly watching the news as neighborhood after neighborhood was consumed by floodwaters, but today I am on Facebook watching friend after friend be evacuated by truck or boat because of flooding or anticipated levee failure. 

It's heartbreaking. And I can't do a single thing for any of them until the waters go down. 

Our little 2 sq. mi. stretch of neighborhood is totally fine. Knock on wood. More rain or bayou overflows could always change that. 

• Like 5

It's our turn up here on the NW side. Yesterday, I was helplessly watching the news as neighborhood after neighborhood was consumed by floodwaters, but today I am on Facebook watching friend after friend be evacuated by truck or boat because of flooding or anticipated levee failure. 

It's heartbreaking. And I can't do a single thing for any of them until the waters go down. 

Our little 2 sq. mi. stretch of neighborhood is totally fine. Knock on wood. More rain or bayou overflows could always change that. 

As one of the few that didn't flood in our area last year in Louisiana, I remember how happy I was that we were spared, devastated for our friends, guilt ridden as to  why them and not us, and just emotionally raw and spent. There is no person left unscathed by a disaster such as this. Sadly the weeks after the flood were just as difficult but in a different way. We worked nonstop trying to help those that flooded whether that meant by repairing the damage, housing, or feeding them. Yet in all of this disaster and hardship, I also look back at it as a time of great humanity. People didn't care whether you were poor or rich, your race, political views or education level. You were human and that is all that mattered. Everyone helped everyone. When you felt you could go on no more there was someone willing to step in in whatever capacity you needed. It truly was miraculous. I have typed this so many times and deleted because I just can't seem to write what my heart feels. Just know we are praying and many here in Louisiana are already starting to help in various ways.

Edited to add... I quoted you because you seem to feel as we did then when we were one of the lucky ones. My post is truly meant for all Texans.

Edited by kahlanne
  • Like 10

There are just no words and emotions left.  NW and NE Houston is now under water as well.  All that water is making its way south where it is already under water.

And the rain just keeps on coming.

The storm has picked up some wind speed to makes matters worse.  And it is down right cold in the water.  The forecast just sucks with it heading out to sea for some more water.

Areas east of Houston and Texas are now getting hit too.  And so many of their rescue people and good samaritans are in Houston.

Despite all that...

The people who are being rescued?  They just keep smiling!  And laughing!  And are in such good spirits!  And are so gracious!  The kids are so brave and sweet!  The families and neighbors are so banded together!  It's all just so incredible.

To all the WTM who are in this mess or have family and friends in this mess, I hope we all come out of this as little scathed as possible.

It has just seemed like our country the last few years has been coming unhinged.  It's been depressing and scary (especially when you've studied your history so well from Ancients to Present ala Story of the World ;) and it feels like history could be repeating itself).  But this.  Despite the horror, this has just been amazing, incredible, miraculous.  What's the right word?  I don't know if people outside of this area are seeing this amazing coming together of humanity; I sure hope they are.  We could all use a little heart happy these days.  There's a saying here in Texas that goes something like "American by birth. Texan by the grace of God."  We are blessed.

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 14

Aggie- my heart is breaking for the Texans. I talked to my grandparents today, they really think they will be fine from the flooding, all the roads out of town are closed so I sure hope they are right.

The church my uncle used to pastor is currently waist deep in water. My cousin lives a few blocks away, they are heading north hoping to escape the water. The water was up to their house but not in it yet, the additional 10" expected tomorrow are what have them especially concerned.

My aunt and uncle south of Houston should be ok assuming the levies don't break.

• Like 5

There are just no words and emotions left. NW and NE Houston is now under water as well. All that water is making its way south where it is already under water.

And the rain just keeps on coming.

The storm has picked up some wind speed to makes matters worse. And it is down right cold in the water. The forecast just sucks with it heading out to sea for some more water.

Areas east of Houston and Texas are now getting hit too. And so many of their rescue people and good samaritans are in Houston.

Despite all that...

The people who are being rescued? They just keep smiling! And laughing! And are in such good spirits! And are so gracious! The kids are so brave and sweet! The families and neighbors are so banded together! It's all just so incredible.

To all the WTM who are in this mess or have family and friends in this mess, I hope we all come out of this as little scathed as possible.

It has just seemed like our country the last few years has been coming unhinged. It's been depressing and scary (especially when you've studied your history so well from Ancients to Present ala Story of the World ;) and it feels like history could be repeating itself). But this. Despite the horror, this has just been amazing, incredible, miraculous. What's the right word? I don't know if people outside of this area are seeing this amazing coming together of humanity; I sure hope they are. We could all use a little heart happy these days. There's a saying here in Texas that goes something like "American by birth. Texan by the grace of God." We are blessed.

Yes! I was just talking to my dh about the great attitude everyone has towards one another. The most devastated of rescued people are saying. "Thank You! I am so thankful for those helping" instead of complaining. The shelter clips are showing people keeping their cool and operating in an organized fashion even though the people have been through tragedy and their immediate future is uncertain. I am proud to be a Texan. Edited by TX native
  • Like 9

Just checking in - I saw this thread on my phone and had to have my son show me how to post from it. 

We live near Katy, but we're safely in Austin right now. My two youngest boys and I brought Ds18 to college here on Friday morning, and stayed here to wait out the storm. Ds20 drove Dh's parents on Saturday, while Dh and Ds14 stayed behind until yesterday to finish securing the houses and check on friends. 

Ds22, who lives in Austin, drove toward Houston four friends and two large pick-up trucks on Saturday morning to volunteer with evacuations. They spent last night doing home rescues (125 rescue requests in Katy alone), this morning bringing supplies to the two high schools set up as shelters, and  helping to set up a third school because the first two have reached capacity (1000 people each). He's texting me every two hours, on the hour. So that helps. 

• Like 10

I am following this on FoxNews.com  and late this afternoon I also read the Recap on Weather.com which was quite interesting and comprehensive.  I believe on one of those web sites it indicated that about 500K people will be victims of "Harvey".  I vote in Texas and my DD is a TTUISD student, so we have "ties" to Texas and are praying for the fewest number of fatalities and injuries that is possible for a historic event like "Harvey".

My hope at the moment, other than the the rain WILL STOP is that the runways  at Intercontinental and/or Hobby will become safe enough to use, so the USAF can fly their huge C5 cargo jets in there. I suspect the highways leading into Houston are still closed, so there is no way for tractor trailers or large Army trucks to get in there at the moment.

To everyone affected by "Harvey" please stay high and dry and safe.

• Like 2

Is anyone watching ABC13? Hundreds of people walking UP TO 3 miles in chest deep water to reach boats and trucks to evacuate. And it's pouring, and night is falling.

It's so awful. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

I cannot believe Tidwell pictures. A freaking PONTOON boat put in.

The Army transport vehicle under water showing only 6" was sobering.

• Like 1

I'm not a lawyer, nor an insurance expert, or w/e... I just noticed this article, so wanted to pass it on so affected people can look into it (maybe someone else can comment on it more):

http://abc13.com/weather/why-you-should-file-your-harvey-insurance-claim-now/2351817/

ETA: It says you should consider filing your insurance claim before Sept. 1st, as some new law (passed in May) will go into effect then. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 5

Got a little funny for you in all this rough stuff.  Saw it on Facebook, so you may have also.  It made me giggle.

Hurricane Harvey:

See what happens when you name a hurricane after a man!  He won't ask directions, wanders around lost, leaves a mess, and doesn't clean up after himself.

:)

*No offense meant to the men around here.  Just was one of those funnies.

• Like 9

I read about a man dressed in a batman costume who went to help at one of the evacuation centers.  He was passing out bags of things for the kids to do, and other random stuff.  He had a 4 year old boy with him who was also in a batman costume.  The man said that people could use a hero, and the the little boy said that it was his idea.  People really are amazing!

ETA that was not to counter the man joke above, just to bring a little more light and levity to this awful situation.

Edited by Guinevere
  • Like 7

I read about a man dressed in a batman costume who went to help at one of the evacuation centers. He was passing out bags of things for the kids to do, and other random stuff. He had a 4 year old boy with him who was also in a batman costume. The man said that people could use a hero, and the the little boy said that it was his idea. People really are amazing!

ETA that was not to counter the man joke above, just to bring a little more light and levity to this awful situation.

That's awesome!!!! I hadn't seen that!

• Like 2

I am following this on FoxNews.com  and late this afternoon I also read the Recap on Weather.com which was quite interesting and comprehensive.  I believe on one of those web sites it indicated that about 500K people will be victims of "Harvey".  I vote in Texas and my DD is a TTUISD student, so we have "ties" to Texas and are praying for the fewest number of fatalities and injuries that is possible for a historic event like "Harvey".

My hope at the moment, other than the the rain WILL STOP is that the runways  at Intercontinental and/or Hobby will become safe enough to use, so the USAF can fly their huge C5 cargo jets in there. I suspect the highways leading into Houston are still closed, so there is no way for tractor trailers or large Army trucks to get in there at the moment.

To everyone affected by "Harvey" please stay high and dry and safe.

I'm having a hard time making sense of different information.  I'm hearing the Houston area alone has 6.5 million residents, and that 85% of it was underwater.  With so many sources posting so frequently, I'm obviously not going around doing fact checking, so I'll just say that *IF* that number is anywhere near accurate, I can't imagine it could *ONLY* be half a million people suffering the results.

My heart goes out to everyone there, and with loved ones there. When I think about the comparatively minor stresses of Sandy (while being far inland, to boot!) I can't get anywhere close to fathoming how the people in this situation are feeling. I'm in awe of all of the "regular people" helping regular people.

Dh usually works on storm recovery for commercial buildings, but his company is sending other people this time. I think a part of him is unhappy about that decision.

• Like 1

Edited all of my post because I checked and the population within Houston is b/n 2-3 million and the greater Houston area surrounding is 6.5. The authorities did not know which area of let's say 1-2 million people would flood out of the greater surrounding population of 6.5 million total would flood before Harvey headed Houston's direction. Maybe that is right??? I am unsure, but what I am now thinking about the numbers they put out.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 4

Checking back in...we're still doing okay. Our town has a LOT Of mandatory evacuations going on, due to the rivers, but we are between 2 and in a non-flood area from that threat, enough so that we've been able to let friends come here who were in the mandatory evac zone. 

We were able to get to the grocery store yesterday and restock enough for having double the people, for a few days at least, and it was amazing to see. The store had a line outside waiting to get in, and was letting people in as people left the store, limiting essentials  to 2 per family (so 2 gallons of milk, 2 cartons of eggs, 2 cases of water). So there we were, standing in the rain, finding a line just to get in the store....and everyone in line was sharing umbrellas, laughing, chatting, discussing the fact that yes, if a 1st responder came up, we'd let them to the front of the line, etc. Inside the store, all lines were open, everyone was calm, everyone respected the 2 per family limit, no pushing, shoving, everyone helping everyone....managers from the store were going out into the driving rain gathering carts and bringing them to the people in line waiting....it was really amazing, seeing how everyone was coming together, even as half the city was just that morning put on mandatory evacuation alert (due to the updated river threats). 

So, we're good, but I'm definitely nodding along with everyone about the mental stress of it all, watching and waiting to see. Every morning we get up and check street levels, retention pond levels, rain forecasts, and just wondering what everything's going to do. Our local PD is saying only certain areas are at risk from the rivers, but our mayor is saying otherwise, and that really has the city on edge. (based on last year's events, I think the PD is right, not the mayor). 

Thank you all for all the prayers; we can definitely all use it. 

• Like 13

I was confused too, but I think (do not know for sure) what they are saying is 6.5 million people have been in the path or impacted directly by the storm be it from the hurricane that hit west/southwest or the flooding from the rains that have lingered. Either that, or 6.5 people were at risk for having the devasting flooding from Harvey, but it came to Houston, where 2-3 million (???) million live there. They may be saying calling an evacuation to guarantee no one would flood would mean evacuating 6.5 million people, because (beforehand) it was like playing roulette as to which 1-3 million out of 6.5 million people in the iffy zone about which places would flood. IDK, but that is my guess why there is a controversy b/n saying they couldn't realistically evacuate Houston ahead of time which has much less than 6.5 million population. ETA: I think your info on 6.5 million population in Houston is wrong.

The 6.5 million people is for Harris County, which is greater than Houston proper, and is only ONE Of the counties impacted. We have flooding in Fort Bend County, Galveston County, Austin County....I'm drawing a blank on the other counties impacted, but it's a whole stinking lot, and the 6.5 million is an accurate number for Harris County, sadly. 

Not every single home in every single county is flooded, but.......the numbers are going to be high. Impossibly, ridiculously, terribly high. 

re: evacuating, lots more than just Houston city limits is being affected. The stuff you guys are seeing on the news is not just Houston city limits, but is "Houston Metro Area" which encompasses all those counties listed above (and maybe some others, I'm blanking on if Baytown is another county, etc...). To get from my house to the farthest points also affected is over an hour in any of those directions, in normal traffic conditions. 

also re: evacuating, it was a flash flood situation, so FAST, and most flood deaths occur in people's cars in flood waters. Really, honestly, it would have been disastrous if the people who did flood were all on the road at the start of this, because they all still would have flooded, but they'd be dead in their cars on the road. The evacuations have been handled really, really well so far. 

• Like 10

Continuing to pray for that area. I'm thankful that despite the circumstances, people are making the best of it. It sounds like people are in good spirits!

Checking back in...we're still doing okay. Our town has a LOT Of mandatory evacuations going on, due to the rivers, but we are between 2 and in a non-flood area from that threat, enough so that we've been able to let friends come here who were in the mandatory evac zone.

We were able to get to the grocery store yesterday and restock enough for having double the people, for a few days at least, and it was amazing to see. The store had a line outside waiting to get in, and was letting people in as people left the store, limiting essentials to 2 per family (so 2 gallons of milk, 2 cartons of eggs, 2 cases of water). So there we were, standing in the rain, finding a line just to get in the store....and everyone in line was sharing umbrellas, laughing, chatting, discussing the fact that yes, if a 1st responder came up, we'd let them to the front of the line, etc. Inside the store, all lines were open, everyone was calm, everyone respected the 2 per family limit, no pushing, shoving, everyone helping everyone....managers from the store were going out into the driving rain gathering carts and bringing them to the people in line waiting....it was really amazing, seeing how everyone was coming together, even as half the city was just that morning put on mandatory evacuation alert (due to the updated river threats).

So, we're good, but I'm definitely nodding along with everyone about the mental stress of it all, watching and waiting to see. Every morning we get up and check street levels, retention pond levels, rain forecasts, and just wondering what everything's going to do. Our local PD is saying only certain areas are at risk from the rivers, but our mayor is saying otherwise, and that really has the city on edge. (based on last year's events, I think the PD is right, not the mayor).

Thank you all for all the prayers; we can definitely all use it.

• Like 2

The 6.5 million people is for Harris County, which is greater than Houston proper, and is only ONE Of the counties impacted. We have flooding in Fort Bend County, Galveston County, Austin County....I'm drawing a blank on the other counties impacted, but it's a whole stinking lot, and the 6.5 million is an accurate number for Harris County, sadly.

Not every single home in every single county is flooded, but.......the numbers are going to be high. Impossibly, ridiculously, terribly high.

re: evacuating, lots more than just Houston city limits is being affected. The stuff you guys are seeing on the news is not just Houston city limits, but is "Houston Metro Area" which encompasses all those counties listed above (and maybe some others, I'm blanking on if Baytown is another county, etc...). To get from my house to the farthest points also affected is over an hour in any of those directions, in normal traffic conditions.

also re: evacuating, it was a flash flood situation, so FAST, and most flood deaths occur in people's cars in flood waters. Really, honestly, it would have been disastrous if the people who did flood were all on the road at the start of this, because they all still would have flooded, but they'd be dead in their cars on the road. The evacuations have been handled really, really well so far.

Thanks for clarifying. I checked the population stats as you were writing and edited all of my post because I was supposing incorrectly about the numbers. My heart is with everybody there. Growing up, I lived mostly in SE Houston, but short spurts in many of the outlying areas frequently mentioned on the news the past 2 days.

• Like 3

I have two people in houston I'm happy to report are doing well.  both have power.  one is in the outskirts/suburbs - but the other is near baylor medical center.  it has been closed, ?to non-essentials?  or closed ?period?.  she hasn't gone in.

• Like 3

Where I am in Tomball/Spring is mostly dry. Some areas near Willow Creek are flooded. We have friends who cannot get out of their neighborhood due to streets being just gone. Some stores near us -Kroger and WalMart on Kukendaughl are supposedly open as us the closest HEB but just for short spurts. We have been very lucky.

I read about Ft. Bend county and other areas we used to live being flooded out.

My sister lives a bit North from me closer to the ack if The Woidlands. She says they are doing fine. Water is draining but it's going downstream which is just aggravating the flooding more. There is real concern about levies and dams breaking because some are something like 50-70 yrs old. I foresee reconstruction of those after this.

Construction jobs here and in LA are going to be big money for a long time. I worry about those affected not getting best workmanship, though. I worry too about housing prices/rents being artificially inflated.

I thought the dog blip was hilarious. That dog had his priorities straight!

Adding- and unlike all the other b&m kids, mine are still having school as usual. They aren't thrilled.

Edited by Paradox5

did anyone see the video of the cooper's hawk that flew into a guy's cab? he would NOT get back out.   not even for the cat.  he seemed healthy - just scared by the storm.

http://wwlp.com/2017/08/27/hawk-flies-into-taxi-cab-to-escape-hurricane-harvey-refuses-to-leave/

he took it home and it happily perched on one of his hand weights.  he called the wildlife rescuers and they came and got him.

• Like 4

Kingwood has a lot of flooding. Houses that didn't flood during any previous rain event are several feet under now. Kingwood High is flooded much to Geezle's sorrow. It looks like school won't start for a couple more weeks and he was looking forward to getting back. I've heard the helicopters flying around. We're high and dry but so many people aren't. All of our stores are closed due to street flooding. They've opened a couple of shelters for our area and they're filling fast.

The San Jacinto West should crest tonight so hopefully tomorrow will look better. 

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 1

The city limits contain 2-3 million people. The greater houston metropolitan area, which includes all our suburbs, numbers around 6 million. Not every person is affected, obviously, but some neighborhoods in EVERY suburb have had to be emergency evacuated. So yes, you would have to had evacuate all 6 million people in the Houston metro to avoid what you are seeing now. 

• Like 3

We decided to head west to Brenham to restock supplies and just get out of the house.  290 all the way to Brenham was clear and just past Navasota had gasoline.  Brenham HEB was stocked.  Lots of wheat bread, some white bread, about half-stocked milk of all kinds.  Lots of water and everything else.

But you know the best thing they had...BLUE SKIES!  DH and I got teary just seeing some blue sky again.  It was like all the stress and anxiety came rushing out.  It was hard to fight the feeling of not wanting to go home.  But we did of course and feel just the tiniest bit recharged.  Someone commented that this is what Noah must have felt like.

Now, we start clearing out clothes, shoes, food, and toiletries to donate tomorrow to the couple of shelters we can get reach.

Our Houston families are still pinned at home due to street flooding.  But they have food and electricity so they are in good shape.  Haven't seen reports that Brazos levee near Richmond has been breached which gives us hope their home will be spared.

There is very, very light sprinkling here.  They are forecasting that almost all of Greater Houston will be out of the rain by late tomorrow.  That doesn't change flooding or anything, but at least there won't be MORE water.  We really need the storm to get away from Galveston/Bolivar area so the inland water can flow out.

The news stories are surreal.  I think I'll step away from them today (checking in for how to help and forecasts) to start taking some action.

As soon as I see some local places to send items from places far away, I'll post on WTM.  I encourage others do the same for those that prefer to donate items instead of cash.  Right now, they are asking for help at shelters, but you have to be able to get it to them directly.  Non-perishable food, pillows, blankets, shoes, socks, baby staples, wheel chairs, hot meals, backpacks, clothing in all shapes and sizes, undergarments.

Just an FYI, the JJ Watt donation efforts (see Facebook or Google) are monetary but will go to Harvey efforts in Houston (rather than the bigger orgs that use "leftovers" for other stuff).  American Redcross right now is getting tens of thousands of pillows and blankets to the GRB which now has 9000+ evacuees.

Stay safe.

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 6

Here we go, I was trying to find something like this. Where the roads are green, are inside Houston city limits. But everything inside the red line is the greater houston metropolitan area (the areas in Galveston and Chambers county being probably exceptions), and experiencing catastrophic flooding right now. These are, for the most part, densely populated areas. There is flooding in every corner of the metro. 

cbsa26420.jpg

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Like 4

Here's another good link for perspective.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/as-if-you-needed-it-further-proof-that-houston-is-so-much-bigger-than-most-cities/

This one superimposes Houston on other cities.

ETA:  Picture of Houston area with Connecticut superimposed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/3l3g38/the_size_of_houston_compared_to_the_state_of/

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 7

Here we go, I was trying to find something like this. Where the roads are green, are inside Houston city limits. But everything inside the red line is the greater houston metropolitan area (the areas in Galveston and Chambers county being probably exceptions), and experiencing catastrophic flooding right now. These are, for the most part, densely populated areas. There is flooding in every corner of the metro.

cbsa26420.jpg

. I'm not sure that's quite right, Liberty is pretty rural. I think I remember it being about 45 minutes to the outskirts of Houston from there.

I'm not a lawyer, nor an insurance expert, or w/e... I just noticed this article, so wanted to pass it on so affected people can look into it (maybe someone else can comment on it more):

http://abc13.com/weather/why-you-should-file-your-harvey-insurance-claim-now/2351817/

ETA: It says you should consider filing your insurance claim before Sept. 1st, as some new law (passed in May) will go into effect then.

I haven't finished reading this thread, so maybe someone else has addressed it. The change in law affects fraudulent claims, not real claims. If I can get to a computer, I'll link the article.

ETA article. The legislation seems to be a mixed bag. It was initially designed to eliminate lawsuits made before filing claims with the insurance company, among other things. But it can affect consumers who file lawsuits against their insurance company.

I wonder how many people in Houston had flood insurance. I don't think homeowner's insurance will cover any of the losses. (Correct me if I'm mistaken.) 

Edited by wilrunner
  • Like 3