Menu

Poll: Parking in the garage

Arctic Bunny

Under what conditions do you park your car in your garage?  

242 members have voted

1. 1. I park my car in the garage when it is

• Snowy
    • Rainy
    • Slushy
    • I park in the driveway until the car is dry
    • I take my car through the car wash before parking it in the garage
    • I drive straight in, even if it means the garage floor will get dirty
    • I never park in the garage
    • Other
  2. 2. If parking in the garage means the floor gets dirty:

• It doesn't matter
    • I'll clean the floor occasionally
    • I'll clean the floor immediately
    • I wouldn't get the floor dirty
    • I never park in the garage
    • Other
  3. 3. My garage floor is

We stay in a condo complex so the only place my husband can park the family car is in the gated underground parking garage for residents. I think the garage floor is stamped concrete but I am not sure. No snow here, only mud on tires.

I do know people who run home businesses out of their garage especially hair salons.

• Like 1

So, seriously, we are going to be applying some kind of epoxy stuff to the concrete floor. After we degrease it, clean it, and etch it. Why are we doing this? Because I have thus far been totally unreasonable, but persistent, with my plan that throughout the winter - when it's snowy and COLD out - I will park my car in the garage. Not only that, I will drive straight into it. And I'm not going to the car wash every day beforehand. So, in preparation for my crazy ideas, my DH has developed the above plan to preserve the pristine floor. Once the epoxy has set, he is going to put down some kind of special mat things. And he has already bought the squeegee.

He IS nuts, right?

• Like 24

Also I don't park in mine because it's alley-loaded and apparently not meant for parking? It's too short. Dh had a little two seater car that used to fit when we first moved here, but that's the only car we've been able to pull in. It's a

Pretend garage.

• Like 5

I don't know what kind of mats your DH is talking about but be careful.  My parents put down epoxy on their garage and during the winter when all the rain and slush falls to the floor and then freezes, that smooth epoxied surface becomes a MAJOR hazard.

I'll take my greasy, cracked, uneven, bare concrete garage floor over theirs any day just because of that.

Nuttier than a fruitcake :lol:

Now, get this.... he thinks he's being perfectly reasonable because he checked with the neighbours, and they don't park wet/dirty cars in their garage either!!! I'd tell him to ask more neighbours, but what if it's endemic?!!

Edited by arctic_bunny
  • Like 4

He is nuts, for sure. 

When the space is available in the garage, I park there, period. Especially in inclement weather, so that I can enter the house w/o getting wet. Or hailed on. Or overheated. Or what have you. 

At the moment, there is not room, but it is my goal and intent to make room before it gets so hot that my radio won't turn on (true story; the electronics in my car overheat in the summer and won't function until the car is cooled down). And keep the "more room" all the way through to the cold days we (think we) get here in Texas. Because, Brrrr. 

I didn't actually mark rain, snow or slush in the poll b/c we only get rain and I didn't want to skew the results to look like someone out there doesn't park in the garage in snow, but does in rain. Because, brrrr. That would be crazy talk. The whole point of parking in the garage is to protect the people getting in & out of the car. Right?

• Like 6

Now, get this.... he thinks he's being perfectly reasonable because he checked with the neighbours, and they don't park wet/dirty cars in their garage either!!! I'd tell him to ask more neighbours, but what if it's endemic?!!

huh? That is crazy. They do not wish to protect the car from the elements just so the floor stays clean???

That defeats the purpose of having a garage.

• Like 18

We pull right in. Every so often on a sunny-but-not-too-hot day, I'll have the kids sweep out the garage.

The wetness evaporates. The slush melts and then evaporates. The dirt that is left is swept (eventually).

No special coating on the floor.

• Like 6

I don't know what kind of mats your DH is talking about but be careful. My parents put down epoxy on their garage and during the winter when all the rain and slush falls to the floor and then freezes, that smooth epoxied surface becomes a MAJOR hazard.

I'll take my greasy, cracked, uneven, bare concrete garage floor over theirs any day just because of that.

Fortunately it's heated, so it will melt and stay melted until he squeegees it out. Insert eye roll here. Originally we were going to get the grippy cement paint, but it won't protect the cement as well. Insert another eye roll.

I can't imagine not parking in the garage because my tires are wet. Or sandy (which is basically what all of our dirt here is - sand). It's the garage, not the house. It doesn't even count as the "under air" part of our square footage. It makes no sense to me to keep the car out of the garage in order to keep the garage floor clean.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5

We always park in the garage. That's what it's for. That's why the floor is concrete.

I cannot fathom leaving the car outside in order to preserve the garage's pristineness.

I agree! But I have to admit that I want to see the garage that's too fancy for a car! Does it have custom hardwood floors or something? ;)

• Like 6

If I'd been out mudding around in my car, I might--MIGHT--wash big hunks of mud off of it prior to parking in the garage. Regular rain or light snow--no way would I hesitate about parking in the garage.

The garage is there it shelter my car and let me enter/exit said car without getting cold, hot, or wet. Every so often we sweep the garage out.

Oh and by the way....I back into my garage.

• Like 3

also: we have the garage connected to the house, and a major bonus in bad weather is that the people do not get wet. How does trudging through the snow and rain to the car make any sense?

Aha!! You're right. I needed to change my line! "Think about how much less snow will get tracked into the house!"

• Like 9

Oh, did I forget to mention we just finished painting the walls and ceiling? :eyeroll:

What??? No custom wallpaper and window treatments??? :lol:

Our garage walls and ceilings are painted and we have some very fancy-looking custom cabinetry in there, too, but it was that way when we bought the house. Now you've got me wondering if the previous owners ever parked their cars in there.....

• Like 1

I would love to park cars in the garage, but our garage is only 2 feet longer than our cars (and they are both compact cars) and we have to be able to fit a refrigerator and lawn tools and a grill in the garage and cars won't fit in their too.

Our garage is mostly empty, but it's just too short to hold our cars and the things that need to be in the garage.

Before we got the compact cars, our cars were too long to safely fit even if the garage was completely empty. My van was too tall, too long, and too wide.

• Like 1

If I'd been out mudding around in my car, I might--MIGHT--wash big hunks of mud off of it prior to parking in the garage. Regular rain or light snow--no way would I hesitate about parking in the garage.

The garage is there it shelter my car and let me enter/exit said car without getting cold, hot, or wet. Every so often we sweep the garage out.

Oh and by the way....I back into my garage.

Oh, please don't give him THAT idea!!!! We are on a very quiet crescent, so I should be okay there!
  • Like 1

What??? No custom wallpaper and window treatments??? :lol:

Our garage walls and ceilings are painted and we have some very fancy-looking custom cabinetry in there, too, but it was that way when we bought the house. Now you've got me wondering if the previous owners ever parked their cars in there.....

Maybe the previous owners drove by and said, "Gasp, they're parking IN the garage!!!" Lol!
  • Like 3

This thread is hilarious. We don't have a garage. I feel lucky to even have parking in the city.

He's usually so reasonable! You wouldn't believe how long he's been talking about this and I've been laughing it off. And then one day I turned around and said, "Oh my goodness, you are serious? You don't think we're going to park in the garage?"

And he said, "No! Not with a dirty car!"

It was then he realized he'd have to come up with a different plan....

• Like 6

Ok I'm a little bit of everything.

We have painted walls in our 2.5 car garage (so pretty and clean) but only park 1 car inside- no matter the weather and preferably in bad weather as it's an attached garage. And we have frequent hail storms so it's only smart to have some covered parking available.

The other 1.5 bays hold our stuff (extra fridge, Deep freezer, Costco quantities of everything, mower, bikes, camping stuff etc).

And when it gets reaaaalllly cold (below 20 degrees) we put a heater in the garage to help jarred items and assist deep freeze, and also put fans to help dry out slushy dirty snow off the vehicle. 😜

We sweep out garage as needed and have soaked up a few oil droplets as well.

We park in the garage in the winter due to the cold and snow or anytime it is raining. All other times we just park in driveway. Obviously, due to when we park in the garage we have zero care about the cleanliness of it.

• Like 1

I never park in the garage. Well, I park the riding mower in the garage, but never a car. It's full of outside tools and toys. It's also on the other side of the property.

I would never think about getting the floor dirty. Who cares? I do sweep it out a couple times a year.

If I had an attached garage I would absolutely park in it especially if it was gross weather out.

• Like 1

Ok I'm a little bit of everything.

We have painted walls in our 2.5 car garage (so pretty and clean) but only park 1 car inside- no matter the weather and preferably in bad weather as it's an attached garage. And we have frequent hail storms so it's only smart to have some covered parking available.

The other 1.5 bays hold our stuff (extra fridge, Deep freezer, Costco quantities of everything, mower, bikes, camping stuff etc).

And when it gets reaaaalllly cold (below 20 degrees) we put a heater in the garage to help jarred items and assist deep freeze, and also put fans to help dry out slushy dirty snow off the vehicle. 😜

We sweep out garage as needed and have soaked up a few oil droplets as well.

My kind of woman!

Every spouse gets to have a couple of things that are completely wackadoodle. I wouldn't have chosen "pristine garage floor" but, hey, to each their own.

I am sitting on the deck, literally laughing out loud! It really is preferable to many wackadoodle things, it's just so..... far out there for me! I can usually predict the wackadoodliness!
  • Like 3

I always park my car in the garage.  That way, no one can break into my car or vandalize it or steal it.  And it won't get damaged by a drunk or hit-and-run driver which unfortunately happens too often to cars parked on the street in my neighborhood.  Plus I don't have to scrape ice from the windshield in the winter.

I sweep out the garage occasionally but otherwise I don't worry about whether the floor is clean.  I wear shoes in the garage.

• Like 3

I had to choose "other" on the first one, because "I always park in the garage" wasn't an option. :-)

There are people in the world who think about whether parking their cars in their garages might get the garage floors dirty and so they might not? :blink:

• Like 5

Is he as equally weird about the floors in the house? Do you allow dirty people to walk all the house floors?

We only park a vehicle in the garage during huge snowstorms. I'm the summer it's filled with bikes, swim floaties, fishing supplies, and the lawnmower.

• Like 3

I don't bother parking in the garage if the weather is good and it is not late at night because I'm lazy, and waiting for the door to open is just too long a wait.

I wouldn't park in the garage if it were separate (unattached).  

Maybe if it were winter, and I had a heated garage and a very small house and lots of rowdy kids, I'd park outside and turn the garage into an indoor gym.  It would have to be a small house, though.  And a heated garage.

My car always goes in the garage--dirty, wet, whatever. Unfortunately dh can't park his car in because it's barely a 2-car garage that also has to house the lawnmower, bikes, table saw, etc, etc. If the garage was big enough he'd park there too. To protect his car from the elements. The thought of protecting the garage floor from dirt/mud/snow is kind of weird, to me.

The only person I've known who was ever concerned about keeping the garage floor clean was a woman who ran a state-certified preschool in her home and used half her garage as a classroom extension. They didn't park any cars in the garage.

• Like 1