Menu

So sad...

bettyandbob

Grief counselors will be at my neighborhood high school today. A teen girl was walking with a group of friends from the local mosque to McDonald's at 4 am to get food before sunrise yesterday morning. A man in a car stopped assaulted​ and abducted the girl. Her body was found yesterday afternoon.

I'm really upset. Why does this happen anywhere. What is it happening where I live. The local high school is a very diverse, accepting place. I think the neighborhood is fairly diverse and accepting too. The mosque is in a different neighborhood, but not far. She wasn't walking alone. It should be acceptable for a group of older teens to walk that route early in the morning.

It's just really sad. There are really sick evil people out there.

• Like 2

I read this in our local news too.  It is so very sad.  She was with a group walking to a local iHop to break the fast.  Everyone ran away.  I don't know why she didn't or if she was captured or what...the news was a bit sketchy about the exact events surrounding this case.  I feel so heartbroken for her family and the friends she was with.  What a sad, sad memory to have to live with.  

Yes, it's hit the Muslim community hard....just like the murders in Chapel Hill of the married dental students and their sister.  The ADAMs mosque is well known, well liked throughout the country.  Its Imam was the President of ISNA at one time.

Her name was Nabra.

Supposedly if one dies during Ramadan, one automatically goes to heaven.  It's one of the reasons (I believe) that you see more terrorist attacks during this month.  

Some parents may take comfort in that.  Me? Nah. Wouldn't help one bit.

This was started to help her family pay for funeral costs and such https://www.launchgood.com/project/for_nabra#/

• Like 1

Her name was Nabra.

Supposedly if one dies during Ramadan, one automatically goes to heaven.

Some parents may take comfort in that. Me? Nah. Wouldn't help one bit.

This was started to help her family pay for funeral costs and such https://www.launchgood.com/project/for_nabra#/

I think it would ruin the day after events forever (am I correct, Ramadan ends with a large celebration). I have friend whose DD died just before Thanksgiving. The family hasn't celebrated Thanksgiving since.

• Like 1

I have friend whose DD died just before Thanksgiving. The family hasn't celebrated Thanksgiving since.

SIL's (my brother's wife) sister was killed by a serial killer in the early seventies. Her body was found on Thanksgiving Day. SIL's family celebrates Thanksgiving as a memorial to her. :(

• Like 1

I haven't seen any national news on this. Nor on the Myrtle Beach shooting (I read about the later on daily mail). I'm wondering how much is happening that we are just not hearing about 😢

How much more could we handle, really, though?  :(

• Like 2

This poor girl and her family. I am so sad with everything going on. It feels like the whole world is unraveling. 

It struck me reading about this when one article mentioned the murders in Portland were in May. Only a month ago and it seems like ages have passed and so much has happened. 

I've seen this on the news too. The whole road range explanation seems really bizarre. The teens weren't even driving and I can't imagine just existing on the same road as the driver would prompt road rage. Anyone in a car could easily go around them even if they were in the street, and I don't believe they were- there's a sidewalk!

Either it was a hate crime or a random crazy guy, but road rage as an explanation doesn't feel right. 

I think this was a sexual predator and they will have to figure out if he has raped or raped and killed before.  Another crime committed by yet another person who should not have been in this country. Which is why my personal preference is to get the criminal illegal aliens out first. Others we can debate about, be more compassionate about, etc, But criminals- no-get them out.

• Like 1

The police are very clear about the fact that this isn't a hate crime. IOW, she wasn't targeted because she was Muslim. From what I've read, there was a group of about 15 young men and women walking together. At least one of the boys was on a bike riding in the street, as opposed to on the sidewalk. The attacker driving in his car either got too close to the biker, or yelled something at them, then one of the boys in the group threw a drink at the guy's car. The attacker became enraged, pulled his car up on the sidewalk, jumped out with a bat and started chasing the kids. Poor Nabra tried to run away, but tripped on her outfit (sorry, I don't know what the name of the traditional dress is). When she went down, the attacker focused his rage on her, and the rest of the story is what you're seeing reported.

Heinous and absolutely evil? Yes. 

Was she attacked because she was Muslim? It doesn't appear to be the case. More likely road rage in the sense that he went nuts due to a conflict while driving. 

I've heard some speculation that it was gang related (i.e. gang initiation), but again, I think based on the details of what the kids have reported, it was road rage. I hate applying that phrase to this murder because normally when I think of road rage I think of someone yelling and cursing when they get cut off in traffic. But the idea behind it is the same, from a legal standpoint. The precipitating factor was driving-related, not a targeted hate crime.

The attacker is from El Salvador and has been in this country illegally for 4 years. That's a whole other problem.

I can't stop thinking of what the poor girl went through. And now her parents...unbelievably heartbreaking. 

• Like 1

If it had been my dd, raped and murdered, people would have said she "tempted" somebody with her short shorts no matter what the situation. This poor girl was attacked because her modest outfit blocked her escape? Girls just don't seem to win at all in modern culture. I feel awful about the world my dd is going to have to navigate. This poor girl's parents. 

• Like 3

If it had been my dd, raped and murdered, people would have said she "tempted" somebody with her short shorts no matter what the situation. This poor girl was attacked because her modest outfit blocked her escape? Girls just don't seem to win at all in modern culture. I feel awful about the world my dd is going to have to navigate. This poor girl's parents. 

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

I think it just so happened that this girl was attacked because she tripped over her dress and fell. She was easy prey for this lunatic. The guy came out with a bat, ostensibly to hurt the person who yelled back at him and threw the drink at his car. The other kids took off, but she fell. It didn't have anything to do with her gender or religion, according to all the reports from the police and the witnesses. She wasn't targeted for either. She was just very, very, tragically unfortunate.

One thing my kids have been wondering is how in the world the boys in the group ran or biked away, leaving one of their friends helpless on the ground. I'm guessing panic set in and it was fight or flight. They took flight, just thinking of their survival. I imagine that will remain with them the rest of their lives. Nobody *truly* will escape this crime.