Menu

A church just dropped about 20 teens in my neighborhood

Moxie

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a 'No Solicitation' sign?

Different parts of the world differently. If you really hate JWs coming to your house so much tell them to not come back. We will probably stop once a year or so to be sure you haven't moved....and sometimes being human we fail to notice your address on the list. But we are not trying to make you mad by calling on you.

• Like 1

I am going to leave this thread but if anyone has any questions please pm me.

Scarlett, you have been nothing but frank and gracious in spite of the nastiness directed your way. I admire that. 

Also, a shout out to Sadie for offering door-to-door callers water when it's hot outside. That is very kind.

I really liked what J-rap said about most people trying to do the best they can in life. I think it's helpful to remember this and give people the benefit of the doubt rather than ascribing to them selfish motives that they may or may not have.

• Like 19

Scarlett, you have been nothing but frank and gracious in spite of the nastiness directed your way. I admire that. 

Also, a shout out to Sadie for offering door-to-door callers water when it's hot outside. That is very kind.

I really liked what J-rap said about most people trying to do the best they can in life. I think it's helpful to remember this and give people the benefit of the doubt rather than ascribing to them selfish motives that they may or may not have.

Mercy, I like everything you wrote.  And very much agree.

• Like 8

Mercy, I like everything you wrote.  And very much agree.

Thank you, AnthemLights. I really appreciated your posts in this thread, particularly the one noting the difference between eternal issues and temporal ones. Always a good thing to keep in mind!  :)

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

I spoke to my husband about this thread last night.  Both of us are Christian, although not evangelical.   Both of us have done street ministry...but not door to door.  I wouldn't have seen much difference between the two.  My DH, though, said he thinks that door-to-door is generally not a good idea....mainly, for all the reasons posted in this thread.  Especially he said that people have the expectation of privacy in their own homes and he doesn't want to mess with that.

Something for me to think about.  This has been a very interesting thread.

• Like 14

Different parts of the world differently. If you really hate JWs coming to your house so much tell them to not come back. We will probably stop once a year or so to be sure you haven't moved....and sometimes being human we fail to notice your address on the list. But we are not trying to make you mad by calling on you.

I don't hate JW, I dislike anyone who knocks on my door selling something. Meat, candles, religion, all of it.

• Like 13

I don't hate JW, I dislike anyone who knocks on my door selling something. Meat, candles, religion, all of it.

There is something worse than selling: it's "should-ing". I am allergic to people telling me I should do a certain thing.

I would consider it rude to tell another person "you really should stop going to church".  I don't take kindly to being told that I should go.

• Like 14

We are not evangelical.

We are Christian.

I hadn't seen your post with the NT citations or the one below where you wrote that you were JW. I hope you didn't take my post as questioning whether JW's were Christian.

I had always thought that someone who was evangelical was someone who was engaged in evangelism (e.g. telling other people the good news about Christ) which is why I was confused. However, I just googled evangelical and learned yhat, at least when it is capitalized it only seems to apply to people who have specific beliefs or belong to specific denominations.

Do other people use the term that way? So if someone is Christian (Catholic, LDS, JW etc . . .) and sharing their faith with others, would you not call them evangelical Christians?

• Like 1

I assure you we are NOT encouraged to skip any house because of their religion. ( or lack of) Nor because of any statue. Maybe your teen friend was told that by someone but I have never ever heard that from any guideline. It is a shocking thing to me actually. To the point that if I heard that I would seek the person out who said it to get it clarified.

The bolded is part of the reason others find what your church does disingenuous.  You claim to be out sharing the Gospel, so why would you continually visit a home if you know the occupants are already Christian?

• Like 10

The bolded is part of the reason others find what your church does disingenuous.  You claim to be out sharing the Gospel, so why would you continually visit a home if you know the occupants are already Christian?

Because church organizations don't get any money from people who are the wrong flavor of Christian.

• Like 9

I hadn't seen your post with the NT citations or the one below where you wrote that you were JW. I hope you didn't take my post as questioning whether JW's were Christian.

I had always thought that someone who was evangelical was someone who was engaged in evangelism (e.g. telling other people the good news about Christ) which is why I was confused. However, I just googled evangelical and learned yhat, at least when it is capitalized it only seems to apply to people who have specific beliefs or belong to specific denominations.

Do other people use the term that way? So if someone is Christian (Catholic, LDS, JW etc . . .) and sharing their faith with others, would you not call them evangelical Christians?

Well I said I was leaving....lol...but wanted to answer this direct question. I really don't know what the common definition of evangelical is. I just know we do not self identify with that. For some reason I always think of the term having to do with polically activism.

• Like 1

I wouldn't. To me, Evangelical is a wrapping that covers some, not all. I think of Jesus Camp, Sonlight, ATI..various subsects of Christianity, but all with a driving need to recruit, retain, and convince themselves they are warriors for Christ. It is forceful.

Whereas the Pope, for example, shares his faith with others and often is found listening to the poor or discussing ideas. He is living life with an intended purpose. I have friends like that. You can see their love for God pouring out of them. When they discuss their faith, it is because they live and breathe The Word. They aren't obnoxious about it. On the contrary, they're peaceful, loving, joyful and giving. A lot like how I would guess Mercy to be on this board. There is no separating them from their way of life.

• Like 10

FWIW, there was a period in my life where the JW sisters were a Godsend. We had just moved to a new neighborhood, I had a 15 month old baby, and I hadn't really gotten plugged in anywhere yet. When those ladies appeared on my doorstep, it was so awesome to have someone to talk to who spoke in complete sentences that I practically pulled them inside. They ended up being my first friends in the new neighborhood.

We also get LDS frequently. We live near a temple, so I think the teens practice on us before they go out to do their full missions elsewhere. They're always nice folks, who if we are doing yard work will jump right in (DD also once ended up with a LDS missionary helping her with Latin translations, because when they came to the door and asked if there was anything we could help with, she piped up with "Do you know Latin? This translation is hard!"-turned out he'd been homeschooled.).

I find both the LDS and JWs to be good neighbors. I've never felt beaten up for being the wrong flavor of Christian by them. I can't say that about all Christian groups.

I grew up in a Mennonite area, and my experiences with them is that they are in the world, not of it, not condemning anyone, but always willing to talk and share and help and live. If, over time, you come to believe as they do, they will welcome you-but they won't cut you off or stop being anything but nice and polite regardless. I have seen that same spirit in the LDS and JWs in my current community.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 4

I do answer the door. I politely say thank you and I am not interested.

I expect that the visitors often have no idea that I think it's intrusive and annoying and that I don't give two hoots about their mission, because I do not say so. I am pleasant and wish them a nice day because I don't see the sense in being rude to the folks out doing their best to follow the rules of their church.

I would respond much more positively to seeing that time, effort, and energy directed to service. Feeding hungry children, weeding someone's yard, visiting the elderly, basically finding out individual and community needs and trying to fill those....with the goal of serving in love not conversion. I might even pitch in and help and be willing to have a conversation about faith as I work alongside. (FWIW, I am biased--this is how our church chooses to work and share faith in our community)

• Like 12

I'd say it can be used several ways, and you have to see the context to know which one.  Evangelical Christians as you found are a distinct group.  And it also is a term that can be used in most Christian settings, in a simple way, but sometimes it indicates influence from the Evangelical movement even if the group isn't evangelical. 

Also - Lutherans sometimes refer to themselves as Evangelical Catholics.

I wouldn't. To me, Evangelical is a wrapping that covers some, not all. I think of Jesus Camp, Sonlight, ATI..various subsects of Christianity, but all with a driving need to recruit, retain, and convince themselves they are warriors for Christ. It is forceful.

Whereas the Pope, for example, shares his faith with others and often is found listening to the poor or discussing ideas. He is living life with an intended purpose. I have friends like that. You can see their love for God pouring out of them. When they discuss their faith, it is because they live and breathe The Word. They aren't obnoxious about it. On the contrary, they're peaceful, loving, joyful and giving. A lot like how I would guess Mercy to be on this board. There is no separating them from their way of life.

Would you consider the bolded to be evangelism, and just not Evangelical?  Or would you not apply either word?  

I guess I don't understand why this would be obnoxious. Jehovah Witnesses were out in our neighborhood this week. Talked to the nice lady at the door for a moment, said "no thank you" and wished her a nice day. No big deal.

Just say you're not interested and move on. Door to door evangelism may not be time effective but our church has seen converts from the practice over the years.

And, just to be ornery for a moment, this week here on the boards a teen was widely praised for staging a protest over a dress-code but teens sharing their faith is somehow annoying. That seems a bit inconsistent.

I get that. However, here if you were to say, "No thank you". They keep talking and do not give up. you basically need to close the door as they are talking. So, I guess that it just depends on where you are and what church.

I had a person come with her daughter (maybe 9 years old). I answered the door. Heard them out and said, "No thank you". she continued. I said that I was not interested. I went to close the door. She stepped in front of it. I looked at the little girl and said, " I am an agnostic. Do you know what that means?" The lady rushed off of the porch fast. I guess that I do not have an issue with people telling their beliefs, but how would it work if another group came door to door. Let's say Muslim. People would be outraged.

Edited by Opie
  • Like 8

Would you consider the bolded to be evangelism, and just not Evangelical? Or would you not apply either word?

I don't know. I mean, I wouldn't think of it that way at all, but if I were asked what "biblically based" evangelism looked like ideally, that would be it. To me, the current use of the word denotes more of a forceful, purposeful mission, not a way of living.

I try to be nice and not get angry but I have had to get one of my kids to get my spouse [who is far larger than me and thankfully works nights so is here during the day] on several occasions because they're preventing me from closing the door.

I went to close the door. She stepped in front of it.

That level of aggression would completely freak me out. Despite the little joke I made earlier in the thread, I'm actually quite nice to JW's and LDS when they come to my house. Because as much as I don't want to hear what they have to say, and as annoying as I find the whole method/idea, I remember what it's like to be on the other side of that door. I was raised JW and I know first hand how horrible it is to be doing that preaching work. So I try to be sympathetic. But if someone physically stopped me from closing my door I might lose it. That is a major violation of the homeowners right to privacy, not to mention common decency. And for all the complaints I have about JW's (and they are many) I must say that in all the years I spent in that religion, I never heard of anything like that. I don't know if the people you were referring to were JW's or not, I'm just saying that tactic certainly wasn't condoned back in the 80's when I was being dragged from door to door by my mom. That is awful!

• Like 3

That level of aggression would completely freak me out. Despite the little joke I made earlier in the thread, I'm actually quite nice to JW's and LDS when they come to my house. Because as much as I don't want to hear what they have to say, and as annoying as I find the whole method/idea, I remember what it's like to be on the other side of that door. I was raised JW and I know first hand how horrible it is to be doing that preaching work. So I try to be sympathetic. But if someone physically stopped me from closing my door I might lose it. That is a major violation of the homeowners right to privacy, not to mention common decency. And for all the complaints I have about JW's (and they are many) I must say that in all the years I spent in that religion, I never heard of anything like that. I don't know if the people you were referring to were JW's or not, I'm just saying that tactic certainly wasn't condoned back in the 80's when I was being dragged from door to door by my mom. That is awful!

I actually was not refering to JW. I have however had them come to the house and stopped me when I was out doing yard work on Good Friday. The JW were actually very nice. I listened to them and actually had a few questions. They asked me what I believed and we had a great back and forth.

I lived very near a church and had people coming over All the time. It can get very tiring.

• Like 1

I've been polite to the enthusiastic young LDS missionaries who came to our door one summer. I was more annoyed with the JW who interrupted Christmas dinner at my grandma's several years ago. The Chick tracts that were left on the windshields of half the cars in our Catholic church's parking lot during Mass were downright offensive. Explaining to my new reader that he couldn't read the "comic" that someone had left on our van just added to my frustration.

• Like 5

Preventing the door from being closed by sticking an arm or foot in it, and trying to forcibly continue the conversation was a trick taught by Jack Jules at An IFB mega church in Hammond, Indiana - connections to Moody Bible College and taught there as well - at his Pastor Conferences back in the 80's. The concept of mega church was not so prevalent as it is now, and with 14,000 attendees, evangelical and fundamentalist pastors were drawn to him like moths to a porch light.

Thousands of pastors listen to him tell them that their churches would not grow unless they engaged in "soul winning" door to door. So it spread like wild fire within evangelicalism. It fell out in some churches when members did not comply and others had bad experiences or communities complained to municipal authorities, but the concept has remained and apparently has experienced a sort of revival among some evangelical groups.

One of the worst we have person experienced was a church group that would read the obituaries, get the names of local, grieving family members, and then go to their houses to ask them if the knew for sure if their loved one was in heaven or shell and demanding that they accept chick tracks or they wouldn't leave.

If you have never seen chick tracks, all I can say is they are beyond appalling, so offensive as to be profane but without the use of cultural profanity - spiritually profane if that makes sense -likely very frightening to young children, and appeared to be the result of a paranoid schizophrenic mind or sociopath or something. It is hard to describe just how awful they are, and to think of widows having violent depictions of hell, demons, Satan, you name it, foisted on them after such a loss is despicable. The fledgling "church" that practiced this - church in quotes because I rely considered it a cult - thankfully fell apart quickly due to in-fighting and lack of money so it did not last long which was a relief to pretty much everyone in the community.

Most other groups have not been quite so offensive. Still door to door anything that happens on a regular basis is inappropriate. Now if the local band could just get this concept through their heads and just have a taco party or something where I could drop off $10.00 and go on my way instead of being accosted in my own home every two months with pleas to purchases expensive scrappy chocolate, or cheese balls I do not want, this would be a welcome change.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 3

One of the worst we have person experienced was a church group that would read the obituaries, get the names of local, grieving family members, and then go to their houses to ask them if the knew for sure if their loved one was in heaven or shell and demanding that they accept chick tracks or they wouldn't leave.

That is disgusting.

• Like 4

I actually was not refering to JW. I have however had them come to the house and stopped me when I was out doing yard work on Good Friday. The JW were actually very nice. I listened to them and actually had a few questions. They asked me what I believed and we had a great back and forth.

I lived very near a church and had people coming over All the time. It can get very tiring.

I'm glad the JWs were nice. I get a few where I live, and they are always perfectly polite. I get a lot more LDS and they are very friendly and warm. They seem a lot more relaxed and happy about what they're doing than JWs. I don't think I've ever had anyone from any other church stop by my house. The only bad experiences I've had were with those (secular) companies that sell magazine subscriptions door to door. They start out polite, but when I try to give a polite no, they get unbelievably rude. Yelling at me that I'm "punishing" you unfairly by not buying something I don't want is not going to change my mind!

• Like 1

I'm glad the JWs were nice. I get a few where I live, and they are always perfectly polite. I get a lot more LDS and they are very friendly and warm. They seem a lot more relaxed and happy about what they're doing than JWs. I don't think I've ever had anyone from any other church stop by my house. The only bad experiences I've had were with those (secular) companies that sell magazine subscriptions door to door. They start out polite, but when I try to give a polite no, they get unbelievably rude. Yelling at me that I'm "punishing" you unfairly by not buying something I don't want is not going to change my mind!

The most difficult person I ever had was from UNICEF!

• Like 2

Having once lived in a neighborhood where solicitors included addicts asking for "a drink of water" followed by requests for money, or worse yet a later break-in, I am skeptical of the motives of any stranger at my door.

I used to have a sign on my door that said "No solicitors please, religious or otherwise."  It worked surprisingly well, for both salesmen and religious canvassers.  (I suppose you could add "religious, political, or otherwise" if you wanted to limit the people running for office as well.  I don't mind them so much.)  Something to consider if you are in an area where this is an ongoing issue and you want to limit it.  

Our current municipality has an ordinance requiring solicitors to obtain a license, which tends to limit things somewhat, and gives me the power to ask to see their license, and the ability to complain to local officials if a solicitor is being aggressive or otherwise inappropriate.  I regularly report people like the scammer guys who want to redo my driveway with what is likely to turn out to be black paint.

(Now and again we've had the Feds coming around asking about someone, either as part of an investigation or because the person is pursuing a security clearance.  That's always a bit strange.)

Come to think of it, it may be time to hang a new sign.  And make sure, once again, that I'm on the "do not call" list.  

I've never been rude to a solicitor. I have had to be direct at times. More than once I have instructed people to take a step back from my door or to please not talk to my children.

Bigotry against Catholicism sends most religious solicitors packing but it makes a few that much more offensive so that strategy can backfire.

I once opted to pointedly inform the two younger missionaries on my doorstep who kept coming back after being told no thank you that I was fully aware that I had seen them scoring drugs in the park across the street and I would have no problem reporting them to the local temple if they ignored me again. They seemed shocked that I would know what buying drugs looked like. I'm like, um, this is MY neighborhood. Dudes, I.live.here.with.kids. I can recognize every dealer in the park and rank their relative risk level.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 4

This is an interesting thread.  We don't get that many religious solicitors (I am much more annoyed by the magazine salespeople) just the occasional JW group or pair of young Mormons.  I just smile and cheerfully announce,"Sorry!  We're Jewish! (point to mezuzah on doorjamb)  Not interested!  Thanks anyway!"  and they are always perfectly polite.  The last time the Mormons came by, though, one of them seemed SO crushed.  "Oh.  You're Jewish?"  It was quite funny.

We used to live right down the street from the then-JW world HQ and never ever got visitors.  I believe there was some sort of agreement with the neighborhood.

There is one Jewish sect (Chabad-Lubavitch) that has a mission of getting nonobservant Jews to be more observant.  They hang around on Friday afternoons on NYC streets asking people if they are Jewish and then either offering to pray with them (for men) or giving them little Shabbat candle lighting packets (for women).  They also come out at some Jewish holidays to ask Jews to participate in certain ritual observances.   We no longer live in NYC but when we did I would generally stop and go along with their spiel. I have a lot of issues with the organization, and we're not their target demographic in any event (while we're not Orthodox, we are strongly affiliated and moderately observant), but I think the individual people out there genuinely mean well and I don't mind participating.  They think they are doing a good deed for me, i think I'm doing a good deed for them, we both walk away happy.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 3

This is an interesting thread. We don't get that many religious solicitors (I am much more annoyed by the magazine salespeople) just the occasional JW group or pair of young Mormons. I just smile and cheerfully announce,"Sorry! We're Jewish! (point to mezuzah on doorjamb) Not interested! Thanks anyway!" and they are always perfectly polite. The last time the Mormons came by, though, one of them seemed SO crushed. "Oh. You're Jewish?" It was quite funny.

We used to live right down the street from the then-JW world HQ and never ever got visitors. I believe there was some sort of agreement with the neighborhood.

There is one Jewish sect (Chabad-Lubavitch) that has a mission of getting nonobservant Jews to be more observant. They hang around on Friday afternoons on NYC streets asking people if they are Jewish and then either offering to pray with them (for men) or giving them little Shabbat candle lighting packets (for women). They also come out at some Jewish holidays to ask Jews to participate in certain ritual observances. We no longer live in NYC but when we did I would generally stop and go along with their spiel. I have a lot of issues with the organization, and we're not their target demographic in any event (while we're not Orthodox, we are strongly affiliated and moderately observant), but I think the individual people out there genuinely mean well and I don't mind participating. They think they are doing a good deed for me, i think I'm doing a good deed for them, we both walk away happy.

Why don't they pray with the women? I apologize for my ignorance. I love learning about the Jewish faith so I hope it's ok that I ask.
  • Like 1

Oh wow, I never got the irony before. Yikes. Ugh. 

Also, I wonder if putting a statue of the Virgin Mary in my yard would keep away the people proselytizing? I am not offended by them, i actually always feel badly for them out in the heat dressed in such conservative (hot!) clothes, and I know that they are wasting their time at my door, so I wish I could spare them that. Plus, knocking on my door means the dogs start barking which is a pain. 

So sincere question to those that have done this, or still do - would you skip a house that was obviously Catholic?

Most of the door-to-door types don't seem to think Catholics are Christian -- or Christian enough.  I live in an area that is almost entirely catholic, but gets lots of JW, Mormon and Baptist proselytizers.  The Baptists, especially, like to leave anti-Catholic Chick tracts shoved into the door jambs.

It's incredibly rude and obnoxious.

But again... don't answer the door, or if you feel you have to, just tell them "not interested. Please take this address off your list." 

Why don't they pray with the women? I apologize for my ignorance. I love learning about the Jewish faith so I hope it's ok that I ask.

I was using 'pray' as sort of a shortcut -- they actually ask the men to "lay tefillin," which means putting on a set of leather straps and boxes and saying certain prayers.  In their particular tradition, this is an almost-daily obligation for adult Jewish males only, and in fact is forbidden to women (although I believe there is debate about whether this is a matter of custom or law, and is contested by Jewish authorities in other traditions); hence, they only approach men to ask them to do it.  

• Like 2

But again... don't answer the door, or if you feel you have to, just tell them "not interested. Please take this address off your list."

Yes, because I should just accept having to feel barricaded in my house, with the dogs barking and the kids suddenly deciding they don't need to do their work.

Or I should open the door and run the risk of the dogs getting out, causing the kids to chase after them, all so I can (politely) tell those people where they can go and what they can do with themselves when they get there.

That's just wonderful!

• Like 9

Most of the door-to-door types don't seem to think Catholics are Christian -- or Christian enough.  I live in an area that is almost entirely catholic, but gets lots of JW, Mormon and Baptist proselytizers.  The Baptists, especially, like to leave anti-Catholic Chick tracts shoved into the door jambs.

It's incredibly rude and obnoxious.

LOL!

(That's a wry laugh.)

As if that would work.

The churches around here sure don't go around with lists. They unload a van full of people and they swarm across a neighborhood. Even if that church did have a list there's another ten zillion of them. They are legion and they are rude (even if they think they're well meaning).

• Like 6

I completely understand a commission to share the Good News. But that really should be done through works, intimate conversations, and connections made with others. Coming door to door is really nothing more than a billboard flashing. It's lazy. Show me. Open your church to the homeless. Tithe to create a shower bus. Get together and build little houses, take over meals on wheels routes, go visit the elderly and let Christ's love shine through you to the people you want to reach.

Then you have the other way of doing it. I look at the Duggars/Dillards, who literally decided they needed to share the Good News in a country called El Salvador. El Freaking Salvador, whose name in English means The Savior. Um.....they know. Most of their population is CATHOLIC. These people with no other skills than making banana bread think that going to a religious country and telling them how wrong they are in broken Spanish is doing God's work. It is offensive on a most basic level.

And let's not forget how the whole Conquistadors thing worked out for native peoples in the first place...

Oh wow, I never got the irony before. Yikes. Ugh.

Also, I wonder if putting a statue of the Virgin Mary in my yard would keep away the people proselytizing? I am not offended by them, i actually always feel badly for them out in the heat dressed in such conservative (hot!) clothes, and I know that they are wasting their time at my door, so I wish I could spare them that. Plus, knocking on my door means the dogs start barking which is a pain.

So sincere question to those that have done this, or still do - would you skip a house that was obviously Catholic?

Why would Catholicism be more worthy of respect than any other religion to door-knockers? Unless you practice that exact flavor of proselytizing religion, it wouldn't matter to them. Or else they should respect EVERYONE's religious autonomy.

• Like 4

Why would Catholicism be more worthy of respect than any other religion to door-knockers? Unless you practice that exact flavor of proselytizing religion, it wouldn't matter to them. Or else they should respect EVERYONE's religious autonomy.

Not more worthy of respect.,,just too far gone to save!? Lost cause?

• Like 4

Well I said I was leaving....lol...but wanted to answer this direct question. I really don't know what the common definition of evangelical is. I just know we do not self identify with that. For some reason I always think of the term having to do with polically activism.

e·van·ge·lism
Ă‰â„¢Ă‹Ë†vanjĂ‰â„¢Ă‹Å’lizĂ‰â„¢m/
noun

1. the spreading of the Christian gospel by public preaching or personal witness.
  • Like 7

e·van·ge·lism

noun

•  

the spreading of the Christian gospel by public preaching or personal witness.

Scarlett said she was leaving, but I'm glad you addressed that. It doesn't matter how the subject of an action self identifies that action. There are certain agreed-upon objective definitions that are factual and not up for debate.

I have this conversation with my son daily. I will say, "son, don't run in the house," and he insists, "I'm not running!" As he races past me. He may self-identify as walking at a super fast pace, but to any objective observer by the definition of the word, he is running. Any attempts to convince me otherwise is gas lighting.

If you are going door to door spreading your version of faith, you are little-e evangelizing. You may not identify as a big-E Evangalist, but that's the fault of the big-E Evangelists co-opting the word (as well as the word "Christian") and turning it into an exclusive, proper noun.

• Like 14

Not more worthy of respect.,,just too far gone to save!? Lost cause?

In GA, we had a father and 10yoish son come to the door.  It was spring time.  Dad starts off talking about 'this special time of year..."  (meaning Easter)

I couldn't resist.  I say "You mean Passover? That's coming up."  Guy gives confused look.  "Yeah, we're Jewish."  (which is only part true.)

Guy gets a paniced looked on his face.  "I'm so sorry! We've made a teribble mistake!"  Grabed the kid and nearly ran back down the sidewalk!

So apparently we were a lost cause! LOL! 

• Like 4

I was using 'pray' as sort of a shortcut -- they actually ask the men to "lay tefillin," which means putting on a set of leather straps and boxes and saying certain prayers. In their particular tradition, this is an almost-daily obligation for adult Jewish males only, and in fact is forbidden to women (although I believe there is debate about whether this is a matter of custom or law, and is contested by Jewish authorities in other traditions); hence, they only approach men to ask them to do it.

Thank you. Ă°Å¸ËœÅ 

• Like 1

e·van·ge·lism

noun

•  

the spreading of the Christian gospel by public preaching or personal witness.

I was under the impression e(E)vangelical Christian is a more encompassing term than just being an evangelist. Shrug. But what do I know. I only know we never use that term to describe ourself or our activity.

Words do change in meaning as the years go by.