Menu

How often do you use your food processor?

DawnM

Weekly-ish.  Biscuit dough, pasta dough, and pie dough.  I shred huge blocks of cheddar cheese and heads of cabbage.  When I am making au gratin potatoes for a crowd, I use it to slice the potatoes.  I also use it for purees.  DH prefers smooth sauces, so I will puree tomatoes in it, or even fruit.  I will puree peaches in it before cooking them for jam.  But I mainly use it for doughs and shredding.  You can even use it for sorbet and ice cream.  The ice cream has a different texture, but we like it.

• Like 1

I didn't use mine and got rid of it. I have a mini sort-of food processor that goes with my immersion blender. This one. It's not a true food processor obviously, but it does the only things I used my full size food processor for. I don't use it often either but use the blender part a lot. And when I do use the processor I'm glad I have it. 

• Like 2

About weekly, sometimes more sometimes less. For homemade cereal(made out of nuts) and date balls mostly. I recently started making garbanzo bean sauce with it.

In the summer we use it to crush fruit that we make into popcicles​.

Grating cheese. Whatever pops up.

Well, when we got married a food processor was one of two things soon to be DH wanted to register for. I sort of grumbled about both, as I didn't think we'd use them. (The other was a rice cooker.)

Though it pains me to admit it, he was right. We use them both. If we make salsa, hummus, need to shred lots of cheese, the uses are endless. So much so that it stays on the counter.

• Like 1

I have one and use it about 3 times per year.  I keep wondering if I shouldn't just get rid of it, but then I worry I will need it.

Do you use yours often?  What do you use it for?

Thanks,

Dawn

I don't use it every week, but I use it often enough that it is a necessity in my kitchen. I make my own mayo, and of course things like deviled eggs, guacamole, and pie crust dough.

• Like 1

Great thread! Please enlighten me...you shred a block of cheddar with your food processor? I've never tried that. I hardly ever use mine. I use it mostly to shred carrots for making carrot cake a couple of times a year--and for a certain casserole recipe. 

Mine is an ancient Cuisinart that I inherited from my late grandmother. It's probably from the early 80's--no lie. And it works great! It's super heavy--I'm mean, its a MACHINE. I'll never get rid of it! I love vintage kitchen items.

Anyway, so soft cheeses work with the grater blade? I would LOVE  to not buy pre-shredded cheese anymore as it's coated in that starchy stuff.

• Like 1

I would use mine more often if it weren't such a pain to clean.  I try to rinse it right away and throw it into the dishwasher, but it still sometimes gets stuff stuck in the cracks and crevices.  Whereas a knife...that's easy to clean.

But yes there are a few things where it's just such a pain to do by hand.  For example, shredded cauliflower.  It wasn't always available already done (now I mostly buy it already shredded), but doing that by hand...it just makes this insane mess all over the place.  Another is potato pancakes.  I could use a box grater, but that's a lot more work.  The food processor makes a quick job of that.

It's also great for stuff like pie/tart dough.  I just don't make a lot of pies and tarts. 

• Like 1

I use mine more around holidays than any other time, but it's still readily available in my kitchen.  Hummus is the biggest thing; on the rare occasion I make a cream cheese frosting, my favorite recipes calls for it.  Sometimes I make pie crust in it...there are other things I can't think of right now.   it's worth it to me to keep it around.

• Like 1

I don't have one.

Salad dressing is the thing where I see recipes and I don't have a good way to just use another appliance (a mixer or a blender) or do it by hand.  I shake dressing in a Mason jar and it is fine, but I wonder if it would be better made in a food processor. 

I do not like the noise they make.  That is a main reason for me.  I would sooner do things by hand than listen to the noise.

There are also things where I use frozen vegetables to cut down on chopping. 

I have a microplane-style shredder for cheese now and it works great.    It is really fast (to me). 

Edit:  I use frozen pie crust and don't make salsa, so some things I just don't make. 

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

I had a cheap one and it never did things well, it didnt cut nicely at all, using it for prep was impossible. I got rid of it and never looked back. But, then, DH talked me into buying a nice, expensive fancy one and WOW. 

If you're cooking small portions it's not worth it, but I generally make food in bulk, at least a double and often a triple recipe, and I add a LOT of veggies in. So a single recipe might call for 6 onions, 12 carrots, 3 bell peppers, a couple of leeks, maybe some beans or shredded spinach.That's a lot of cutting. But this good quality food processor actually slices really, really well. Better than I can. Peel and quarter the onions, cut the bell peppers into rough sections, dump them in the bowl and pulse a few times. Slice carrots in quarters lengthways, slice leeks in half, scrunch up spinach, and feed it all through the slicer disk (or the grater sometimes). SO much time saved. 

I also use it to make cauliflower rice, a million times quicker. Grating cheese or carrots... slicing snow peas into fine shears... grating apple for salad or baking... all sorts of things.

I don't do any dough or anything. I've done banana ice cream but it seems very rough on the blades so I don't often anymore. Mine is pretty much exclusively for vegetable slicing, dicing and shredding and so worth it. But if you don't eat the same quantity of fresh veggies as our family there would be very little point. 

• Like 1

Only once or twice a year.  It has a home in a cabinet, so doesn't take up counter space.  I almost never need it, but when I do need it (usually some kind of big batch job), I'm glad I have it.  

For a few onions, or cutting up one cabbage, or grating a few carrots, I find the old fashioned knife or grater easier.

Apparently I'm not doing enough batch cooking...  I do not make my own humus or salsa or a lot of pie crusts or zucchini bread or latkes.  And I buy cauliflower rice frozen in a bag...  :hangs head in shame:

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

Cranberry relish every fall and winter.

Cole slaw, off and on through the warm months. I know there are a few other things I use it for but I don't think I will get rid of mine.

I do not use it every week.

My food processor is 20+ years old, still runs, has a small piece of plastic missing on the bowl which doesn't affect the operation.

• Like 1

Great thread! Please enlighten me...you shred a block of cheddar with your food processor? I've never tried that. I hardly ever use mine. I use it mostly to shred carrots for making carrot cake a couple of times a year--and for a certain casserole recipe.

Mine is an ancient Cuisinart that I inherited from my late grandmother. It's probably from the early 80's--no lie. And it works great! It's super heavy--I'm mean, its a MACHINE. I'll never get rid of it! I love vintage kitchen items.

Anyway, so soft cheeses work with the grater blade? I would LOVE to not buy pre-shredded cheese anymore as it's coated in that starchy stuff.

I put softer cheeses in the freezer for a while before I shred them.

HTH

• Like 3