Menu

What small thing did you do today to save money?

kubiac

It was super-easy. I watched several different you-tube videos where people changed the battery on the 4s. I picked up several tips that turned out to be crucial -

1) Have some kind of container to put the screws into. I used three small shallow cups from single-serve peanut butter; the video guy used an egg carton with the sections numbered. This is important because the screws are teeny tiny, and because you'll need to remember which one goes where.

2) Be aware that there's a little part that will become loose when you unscrew one of the screws; notice which way up it needs to go back in.

3) Work on some kind of surface that will cushion the phone and stop the parts from skittering away. I used a black mouse pad; the video guy used a towel. It is very, very easy to lose one of the screws.

Basically, you unscrew two screws at the bottom of the phone (which take either a tiny Phillips or a tiny Apple-proprietary screwdriver; I bought these from the same place I bought the battery). Then you take the back off. Then you unscrew two more Phillips screws holding on a little plate attached to the battery. Then you pry out the battery (using a tool from the took kit). Then you put the new battery in, line up the little plate, and put in the tiny screws. (Putting back those screws is the tricky part. They are TINY.) Then you put the back on and secure it with the two screws you took off first. It's not hard.

I usually only take things apart in situations where I don't have much to lose if I screw it up. I've learned from taking apart other things (my laundry washer, my dishwasher), that you need to be fairly calm and fairly patient. It pays to watch the video several times, or better yet watch several different videos. It also pays to take your time and notice details as you go along. Sometimes I take pictures as I go, so I will have a reference if I'm not sure about something when putting things back together. I also try to have all the tools I may need at hand before beginning, and as mentioned before, somewhere to put the parts as I remove them, especially if the new parts look just like the old ones - don't want to mix them up! I play the video again as I go through each step.

The taking apart usually goes smoothly, but the putting back together is sometimes tricky, usually because you need to figure out how the part needs to be oriented, and often because it's logistically tricky to get the part lined up right. And more than once I've dropped a key part into some almost-inaccessible space. So don't expect because the guy on the video does it in four minutes that it's going to take you four minutes. It always takes me about four times as long.

In this case, the tricky part was getting the teeny tiny screws back in the holes the right way up. They are very tiny, so it's hard to hold them, and hard to position them without your fingers getting in the way. I used a pair of tweezers; it took me quite a few tries but it worked eventually.

So to answer your question - I didn't get frustrated, because I was well-prepared, took my time, and expected there to be bumps along the way.

As to how it looked - perfect! Once the back cover was back on and the screws in place, the phone looks exactly the same as it did before.

I usually only take things apart in situations where I don't have much to lose if I screw it up.

Wow thank you for the very detailed response. I have an iPad that needs a new battery as per my other thread and cost wise it may not be worth getting done if I'm doing it professionally.

• Like 2

I haven't done school supply shopping this year and won't. I've found we have enough of everything (though I did order my special pens from Amazon with birthday money). Instead of getting a desk lamp for DS's new study area, we moved one we already had.

I also turned down ice cream out tonight.

Ate lunch before I left to a shopping area so I would not be tempted to eat out. Made a couple of choices at Costco based on which items were on sale. Froze blackberries from my yard. Did my own manicure today.

• Like 2

* Curb-shopped an extra Snap-N-Go (destined for my mom's house) and a "Baby Jogger Universal Parent Console" (retails new USD$30), both of which will come in handy when the new baby comes.

* DS6 wanted more books in two series he is currently enjoying (Encyclopedia Brown and I Survived) and by Jove, we used the library! I've been avoiding it lately in an effort to simply (we have zillions of unread books at home), but in hopes of streamlining any future trips, I put together a labelled box for Library Books and clipped the library receipt to it so we are less likely to lose books and have to pay fines.

* Hung up two loads of laundry to dry.

* Just prepped crockpot oatmeal so frugal/simple breakfast is ready and waiting tomorrow morning.

Edited by kubiac
  • Like 1

I used two coupons to buy the last of my baby items.

I told my son 3 no, we can't go out to dinner. No, we can't go to the movies... {this is an almost daily thing with him.}

When my youngest was 3, he asked all the time to go out to eat.  If I said, "We don't have the money,"  He would go get my purse and say, " there is some in here!"

Sigh.  Kids.

He is now 12 and still loves food made outside the home better than food made inside the home, but he now understands we don't go out to eat that often.

Did Swagbucks all week - almost ready to cash out for another $25 GC. 

Rejoined Amazon Review Trader, and have been watching the free / nearly free in exchange for a review items. Some will be stocked back for Christmas, others have been much needed gifts to myself {Essential oils, diffuser, Spiralizer, and a few more things}. 

Worked on Ibotta rebates at the grocery store so I could get back another $37 to put towards bills. Almost everything was something I either was going to buy already or could work into a meal plan. 

Stayed home more. 

This afternoon I will be working on selling all my extra fabric, since I'm not sewing much anymore. Debating selling my machine as well, but it's sentimental since it was a childhood gift. 

ETA: Also traded an extra backpack with some extra school supplies that we didn't need {I way overstocked last year in the penny sales} for a Boppy pillow and a cart cover.

Edited by frugalmamatx
  • Like 2

I took a dog to the farmer's market.  Now, this doesn't sound like a great money saving trick, but it is!  Controlling a 1yo large puppy around other dogs and folks means I didn't go over to the jam table, covered with its pretty glass jars.  I already have two unopened ones in my home as it is.  It meant I didn't go over to the bake table, with its brownies and fresh made whole wheat rolls that are absolutely divine, because I knew they'd be eaten on the way home.  I stood in the middle and let the pup meet other dogs, sending the 6yo to the various vegetable tables with our market money.  He did well, getting salad ingredients and buying some free range eggs because he knew I'd want them.  We spent $7 out, and didn't stop at any yard sales on the way home.  Because, well, dog.

And now it's pouring and lunch/dinner plans today are going to be leftovers.  Reheated lasagna is yummy, even with all the extra veggies I stuffed in it (told the 6yo the green stuff was fresh basil, so he chowed down telling me how good it was).

• Like 4

This thread is so encouraging. We are trying to save for big changes in the next year. It's so hard on an already tight budget.

-dh took his lunch to work this week.

-I resisted the Starbucks I really wanted on my way to the grocery store.

-I stuck to the list which was pretty small so we are forced to eat out of the pantry/freezer this week.

-I resisted the half price hibiscus at Lowes on my way home from the store. They are beautiful and I really wanted it. :(

-I am planning for this upcoming school year with free resources or resources we already own. Very challenging. But I'm doing it!

• Like 1

Dh earned $175 in amazon gc through his workplace wellness program (tied to his fitbit he purchased w amazon gc earned through work-related surveys :D) and purchased a kindle paperwhite plus cover. It arrived yesterday.

I showed him how to search and borrow from our amazing library system's ebook catalog. He now has 5 books to read with 5 more requested :)

• Like 1

Picked vegetables out of the garden and grilled them for dinner. Yummy.

I didn't buy the solutions manual I looked at for the precalculus text I have for dd. (It was way too expensive. Maybe she'll just do the odd numbered problems with solutions in the back of the book.)

• Like 1

Well this may not qualify to some but from a farmer I bought- 4 bushels of tomatoes, 4 watermelon ( bonus- he also gave me another watermelon), a flat of blueberries, a bushel of peaches, and some other veggies for 45. The tomatoes will become tomato sauce and salsa, the peaches will frozen or peach salsa and grilled peaches for dinner tomorrow. The blueberries will become jam and blueberry BBQ sauce. So when winter comes and groceries go up in price, I will have a lot of staples put away to cut down cost.

• Like 5

I did not punch the ex, although I really, really wanted to. I saved bail money and a lawyer fees.  :lol:  :coolgleamA: I'm only half kidding. 

I moved in with my mom, and she moved in with us, so one house for all three of us instead of two homes. We'll save a tremendous amount each month. We all get along, so that part should be okay. 

• Like 8

Did Swagbucks all week - almost ready to cash out for another $25 GC. 

Rejoined Amazon Review Trader, and have been watching the free / nearly free in exchange for a review items. Some will be stocked back for Christmas, others have been much needed gifts to myself {Essential oils, diffuser, Spiralizer, and a few more things}. 

Worked on Ibotta rebates at the grocery store so I could get back another $37 to put towards bills. Almost everything was something I either was going to buy already or could work into a meal plan. 

Stayed home more. 

This afternoon I will be working on selling all my extra fabric, since I'm not sewing much anymore. Debating selling my machine as well, but it's sentimental since it was a childhood gift. 

ETA: Also traded an extra backpack with some extra school supplies that we didn't need {I way overstocked last year in the penny sales} for a Boppy pillow and a cart cover.

How long does it take to get the $25 on Swagbucks?  I have not had luck with that site at all.

How do you join Amazon Review?

I refilled our grocery envelope this morning.  We allot $150/week for groceries here, but I go to the ATM and take out $140.  I know the extra $10 is still there if I need it, but having the $140 visually in my wallet helps me not overspend.  I moved the $8 remaining from last week over to our savings jar.

• Like 2

Not a small thing, but something I am darned proud of.....

My kitchen cabinets were painted.....ugly, kept chipping.....we have been throwing around the idea of getting them refaced or replaced altogether.  I decided before we do that maybe I should try my hand at refinishing them.  So I removed the doors, removed the hardware, bought paint and varnish stripper and went to work.

Three weeks later, we have a brand new kitchen.   :001_smile:

It was so much fun yesterday putting it all back together.  DH was gone in the morning and the children and I worked frantically to put all the doors and hardware back on to surprise him when he came home.   :001_cool:

I did spend a lot on supplies (stripper, stain, varnish, steel wool, sandpaper, etc.) but way less than the alternatives we were kicking around.

• Like 6

Not a small thing, but something I am darned proud of.....

My kitchen cabinets were painted.....ugly, kept chipping.....we have been throwing around the idea of getting them refaced or replaced altogether. I decided before we do that maybe I should try my hand at refinishing them. So I removed the doors, removed the hardware, bought paint and varnish stripper and went to work.

Three weeks later, we have a brand new kitchen. :001_smile:

It was so much fun yesterday putting it all back together. DH was gone in the morning and the children and I worked frantically to put all the doors and hardware back on to surprise him when he came home. :001_cool:

I did spend a lot on supplies (stripper, stain, varnish, steel wool, sandpaper, etc.) but way less than the alternatives we were kicking around.

Who where are the before and after photos? 😉

• Like 1

How long does it take to get the $25 on Swagbucks?  I have not had luck with that site at all.

How do you join Amazon Review?

It depends on Swagbucks, but I try to hit at least the daily goal daily. Some months I get one $25 GC, others I get 3. I've also done a lot of paid offers recently - things like birchbox {makeup stocking stuffers}, a Freedompop sim card for my new phone, etc - most of them were either free or nearly so after the swagbucks, so I consider it a frugal win. 

Amazon Review is https://www.amzreviewtrader.com . Just sign up, link your amazon profile and start looking for items you're interested in. 

Last week I bought groceries at Harris Teeter, using the online express option.

Now, you would think that this is more expensive.  After all, there is the $4+ fee to order online and pick it up via drive-thru (which I love -- it makes me feel like a rich, suburban mom, LOL...I am most-defintely NOT).  And HT tends to be more expensive than our normal grocery store chain.  

That said...there's something about seeing the dollar amount increase in my online shopping cart as I do my grocery shopping.  Being able to see just how much that box of crackers (that we don't need) raises the $$...or being able to take my time and make choices about sale items (comparing to what I was planning on getting).  I've struggled to keep our groceries on budget going in to our normal store...but I found it MUCH easier (even with the $5 fee) to stay UNDER budget shopping this way.

FWIW, I don't do it every week because HT isn't nearby.  I only use this option if we are driving by where the HT is and I can plan ahead.

• Like 6

Oooh!  I had nothing good earlier, but NOW, oh boy! ;)

Well - DH fixed the pressure tank himself - saving about $700 in labor.

We didn't panic and replace the controller on the water heater - saving approximately $100-$150.

We didn't have a repairman out for the oven.  (No clue how much saved.)

We found the part on Ebay - saving $60.

It's been a good/bad weekend.  Can you tell? :D

• Like 5

Who where are the before and after photos? 😉

Not sure if this will work and I didn't take a ton of pictures, but here is a link to before/after.  Unfortunately, no close-up of before.  I wish I would have considering how nice they turned out.  

https:[email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>/?

Oooh!  I had nothing good earlier, but NOW, oh boy! ;)

Well - DH fixed the pressure tank himself - saving about $700 in labor.

We didn't panic and replace the controller on the water heater - saving approximately $100-$150.

We didn't have a repairman out for the oven.  (No clue how much saved.)

We found the part on Ebay - saving $60.

It's been a good/bad weekend.  Can you tell? :D

It's awesome that you had an emergency fund and that your husband is so resourceful.   :thumbup:

• Like 1

It's awesome that you had an emergency fund and that your husband is so resourceful.   :thumbup:

I'm thankful on a regular basis for that man  - I think we'd have to have a whole other income for things that go wrong if he couldn't fix everything that goes wrong on a regular basis.  My best investment ever. ;)

• Like 2

Over the last few days, I've:

• chosen a matinee showing of the movie my husband and I went to see over the weekend (a thing we rarely do anymore, anyway), which saved us $4 over the later showing.
  • fed both of us a late lunch at home just before we left for the movie, meaning neither of us wanted snacks from the concession counter.
  • found the exact book I was considering ordering from Amazon at the discount/close-out bookstore we browsed before the movie for 70% off the cover price.
  • checked out another book I wanted to read from the library instead of buying (regular practice around here, when possible, but still worthy of mentioning, I thought).
  • run small fans in the bedroom, living room and my "office" when folks are in those rooms instead of turning down the thermostat another couple of degrees.
  • made my coffee at home and taken it to work in a reusable travel mug instead of giving into temptation to leave early and stop on the way.
  • made lunch for my husband and his gaming buddies on Sunday (which saved everyone money over their usual habit of going out or ordering pizza).
  • used the left-overs from that lunch to make up lunch portions for my husband and me to take to work this week (four for him, two for me).
  • figured out how to search for videos on Khan Academy to help me study for the CLEP exam I want to take at the end of the month, which saves me the month of paid access I was considering springing for on another site.

Tomorrow, I plan to take my car to the repair shop to see if they can patch the tire that is losing air, instead of waiting until it becomes critical and I end up having two buy two.

I did not buy the medicine I take in the Pharmacy where we have been customers for years. I got a price quote there and assumed that the price would be (much) less in the new Pharmacy in the supermarket where I was going to shop.  I was correct.  In round numbers, the regular price in the new Pharmacy in the supermarket is approximately 16% lower than the price in the other pharmacy. And, today is Wednesday and the new Pharmacy has 10% off on Wednesdays.  I saved approximately USD $4.50, which at today's exchange rate will buy me 2.6 Banana Splits, in a place my wife knows I am a frequent customer.

• Like 2

I repurposed some of the broth and veggies from the beef stew we had two nights ago using the immersion blender then reseasoned it a bit and used it for a sauce for white beans served over brown rice and more vegetables for lunch. The stew itself was made from free soup bones and a heavily discounted package of stew meat.

I'm packing and prepping food for our camping trip and don't think we will need to buy much of anything or even stop for breakfast on the way out of town. Lots of homemade stuff is ready to go:

-blueberry syrup and peach preserves for pancakes.

-chocolate chip cookies.

-roasted seasoned chickpeas for wraps and sandwiches

-prepped all my veggies and meat for camp fajitas and froze solid for the cooler.

-frozen salmon to share with friends for dinner one night.

-precooked brown rice so I don't have to boil the heck out of it on a camp stove, froze it for the cooler.

-sandwich bread.

-baked beans

-mango salsa

I think I need to buy a giant pack of tortillas and some fruit on the way out of town and we're good to go.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I repurposed some of the broth and veggies from the beef stew we had two nights ago using the immersion blender then reseasoned it a bit and used it for a sauce for white beans served over brown rice and more vegetables for lunch. The stew itself was made from free soup bones and a heavily discounted package of stew meat.

I'm packing and prepping food for our camping trip and don't think we will need to buy much of anything or even stop for breakfast on the way out of town. Lots of homemade stuff is ready to go:

-blueberry syrup and peach preserves for pancakes.

-chocolate chip cookies.

-roasted seasoned chickpeas for wraps and sandwiches

-prepped all my veggies and meat for camp fajitas and froze solid for the cooler.

-frozen salmon to share with friends for dinner one night.

-precooked brown rice so I don't have to boil the heck out of it on a camp stove, froze it for the cooler.

-sandwich bread.

-baked beans

-mango salsa

I think I need to buy a giant pack of tortillas and some fruit on the way out of town and we're good to go.

I just have to say, that sounds like an amazing line up of meals for camping.

I took my car in hoping I could get away with paing just to patch my slowly-leaking tire but mentally prepared to buy a new matching pair. It turned out the rear tires are still covered by the flat repair/warranty from three years ago, so they patched it without anything out of pocket. Yippee!

I reviewed our car insurance trying to figure out why our premiums went up $40 in this renewal. In the process of getting a quote for comparable coverage from a competitor, I noticed several places where I think we can trim back and save us a few hundred dollars for the next year.

• Like 2