Menu

Is a Sam's or Costco membership worth it?

SamanthaCarter

For a family of five, would you say that a Sam's membership (or Costco, but I don't have that) is worth the money? We don't buy a whole lot of prepared foods - is there enough cost savings in groceries to make it pay for the membership fee and then some? Or should I stick with Aldi? I don't want to have a ton of stores I shop at, but I do want to maximize my grocery budget.... assume I only buy groceries there. 

I like Costco for meats, paper products, a few prepared items. Cleaning supplies. Not produce, for us. Oh! And Udi's bread. Huge savings on that.

I'm not sure if the cost savings is enormous on everything but the convenience factor is high for us.

I like Aldi a lot now that we have a good one, though. It's tempting to let go of Costco.

• Like 1

Sams has been worth it for us. Toilet Paper/paper towels/ diapers/spices (their spices alone can save you the price of the membership as they have giant containers that are barely more expensive than the tiny ones you'll find in a normal spice aisle)/non chicken meat seems to be a little cheaper and is the best place we've found for briskets and pork shoulders for smoking. There are typically decent 1st time sign up promos going on too. When we signed up last year, we got their premium membership (basically just adds 5% cashback) for the price of the normal membership + we got $70 worth of specific coupons (of which we used around half because some of the stuff was things we wouldn't normally buy). The sales associate that we were buying the membership from actually told us about the promo too. 

You can always walk around one to check out prices on things you'd actually buy. You don't need a membership (at least at Sams, not sure about Costco) to walk in the door. We only go about once per month to stock up on stuff though. 

Edited by joshblade

For my family of 6. yes.

Before you get a membership, you can go online at samsclub.com and compare prices in store with what you pay now. We also get our gas there (.20-.30 cents cheaper per gallon). And we got the plus membership with their mastercard. So I get 5% back on gas on the card, plus another reward of $20 back for every $500 you spend in store (excludes some things like GCs). So once I paid for the 1st year, I never paid for another year. My rebate MORE than covers renewal fees.

Tires and batteries are also cheaper there and the service was very good. Plus they carry a great warranty. 

We don't buy meat there or many processed foods, except the occasional treat of their cheese pizzas (huge like $8.99 each). 

If you can stick to a list it is worth it. If you take the whole family and get distracted by the goodies, then that could end up costing you more $$$. But that is true at every store LOL.

Basics like sugar, flour, yeast, pasta, tomato paste, canned corn, rice, juice occasionally, bottled water, hamburger buns, cheese (this one alone saves me $$$ each month), milk, eggs.

Prices here for example: Milk 2% was 2.00/gallon, outside 2.65+, cheese (5 lb bag shredded) about $10, outside $4 for 1 pound. 

we've been members of costco since 1983.  we love it.  dh jokes it's our favorite store becasue we spend more there than anywhere else.  we have an exec. membership - so we get 2% back (they just switched to visa, so I think the rebate has gone up) everyear that has more than paid for our membership.  the quality is also generally very good.

I'm truly baffled by these clubs though.  I know the prices of the stuff I buy regularly and their prices are not any less.  And you have to buy large quantities of stuff.  And even if it's a few cents less, after the membership fees how is that really less?  And especially BJs doesn't really have much in the way of store brands/generics.  So I might be fine, for example, with the store brand mouth wash, but they don't sell store brand mouth wash.  Only the most expensive stuff.  So that definitely costs me more.

(Again, not speaking about Costco because we do not have Costco.) 

• Like 2

It is not for us.  There are three of us.  I don't buy a lot of boxed typed food, like organic and we don't eat beef.  But our refund check was only $27 last year. I can't walk in there, food shop and then call it good.  It ALWAYS requires a seperate trip to the grocery store.  Either they don't have what we need, or they have it in such a huge quantity that it will go bad before we can use it. 

I'm truly baffled by these clubs though.  I know the prices of the stuff I buy regularly and their prices are not any less.  And you have to buy large quantities of stuff.  And even if it's a few cents less, after the membership fees how is that really less?  And especially BJs doesn't really have much in the way of store brands/generics.  So I might be fine, for example, with the store brand mouth wash, but they don't sell store brand mouth wash.  Only the most expensive stuff.  So that definitely costs me more.

(Again, not speaking about Costco because we do not have Costco.) 

For some families, it doesn't save money, it is just a convenience factor. For me, I did the math before signing up.

Like eggs for example. We can easily go through 5 dozen a month. If I buy them at winco or walmart that was about $10-12. But at Sams that is usually $4-5. 

Milk: we use 5 gallons a week (I make yogurt). So in stores it generally runs from .50-$1 more per gallon. That adds up fast over a month: $10-20 a month saved.

Cheese: We use lots of cheese  :laugh: . I go through at least 1 5 pound bag of mozzarella a month. At sams that is $10, other stores that would run me about $20. Plus a bag of the mixed each month, plus a block of cheese (2 lbs for $4 at Sams, $8-10 outside).

Butter: 4 pounds $9 at sams. Outside: $4 per pound!

Just those 4 items save me more than my yearly fees. Then add on the 1x a year I save $100 buying tires from them and I'm in the black as far as savings go. Everything else is gravy.

• Like 1

I buy clothing items as well -and can save alot.  I buy gloria vanderbilt jeans.  they're comfy and fit.  $12 - vs $20+ per pair.  I just bought a bomber jacket for 2ds - $20.  vs $50 or more.  I've gotten some really really nice polo shirts for dh, I paid $25 - vs $75+ for similar quality at the mall.  (Costco also has  not-as-nice ones I've bought for 2ds for $15 that would be $25 - $30 at the mall.)

and sheepskin boots . . . currently $30, vs $100

eta: and gas, so. much. cheaper!

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

It depends on what you buy.  For our family, it is worth it.

Toilet paper, paper towels and tissues cost less.  I have a large family so we go through those products. I find napkins to be close to the same, unless you want the larger, fancier kind. 

Some cleaning products are better, such as the Clorox wipes.  I use those daily in the bathrooms, so it's worth it.

Some food is better, such as cheese as well as some produce.  The bag of broccoli florets is a great deal, so is the lettuce and mushrooms. And nuts, nuts are a great price.

Milk is cheaper, but I wouldn't join just for the milk.

Bread yeast. I have a Zoj bread machine and we use it at least twice a week.  Yeast is a great deal and makes up the membership price.

Tires.  I bought tires at Costco this last time, but I think Sams has the best price.  It's a significant savings.  

You have to know your prices and you have to need the larger quantity. It's not worth it if you can't store the stuff or if it goes to waste.

I am finding that Walmart is starting to carry a few of my favorite Sams buys at their store for the same price.  

• Like 1

I just bought a TV from there.  It was a very good deal.   

The bagged lettuce is VERY fresh.  Eggs are good too.  

We aren't into convenience foods, either.   But, the gas savings pays for the card, and everything else is a bonus.  

Even though we don't use many convenience foods, the meatballs are excellent, and handy to have in the freezer. 

I have to pay medicines OOP and save about $20/month at Costco for one prescription. That alone is more than twice as much savings as the membership cost, Walmart is the next cheapest on this med. Eyeglasses, also paid OOP, were cheaper at Costco than Walmart for the same lens type. Gas is usually 5-10cents cheaper/gallon, but that is only worth it if I am there anyway when I get gas. There is one on our side of town, but if there wasn't the gas savings wouldn't be enough to matter. I also saved about $50-$100 with a rebate on a set of 4 tires at Costco compared to other area places with tire rebates at the time. However, I think you have to keep the membership long term to keep the free rotation, balance and road service that came with the tires. I get the 2% back membership. I get back around $80 on the Costco Plus membership/year. I think the annual plus membership is around $110. I can only spend that "cash back" in the store, so it isn't exactly like cash back unless one is going to buy stuff there anyway. At Christmas, we save $5-$10 on area attractions coupons that cost more if you pay at the door. We only buy these if it is something we would do regardless of the coupon. My main grocery savings compared to area stores are 1 lb packages of organic spinach or lettuce, bananas, rotesserie chickens for $5 that are decent sizes, whole pineapple, 10lb package of organic carrots, organic eggs, Udi's bread, and coconut oil. These are things that cost a lot more at area grocery stores. Aldi's works great for smaller portions of similar things. I noticed name brand things like coke, cereal, and pre-prepared things do not usually offer as much savings compared to sales or coupons at regular grocery stores. Diapers and wipes were considerably cheaper at Costco way back when I had 2 children in diapers at once. Not sure if it is still a savings.

If Costco wasn't nearby and I didn't have to pay meds or glasses OOP, the savings may be not worth the membership fee.

• Like 1

For some families, it doesn't save money, it is just a convenience factor. For me, I did the math before signing up.

Like eggs for example. We can easily go through 5 dozen a month. If I buy them at winco or walmart that was about $10-12. But at Sams that is usually $4-5. 

Milk: we use 5 gallons a week (I make yogurt). So in stores it generally runs from .50-$1 more per gallon. That adds up fast over a month: $10-20 a month saved.

Cheese: We use lots of cheese  :laugh: . I go through at least 1 5 pound bag of mozzarella a month. At sams that is $10, other stores that would run me about $20. Plus a bag of the mixed each month, plus a block of cheese (2 lbs for $4 at Sams, $8-10 outside).

Butter: 4 pounds $9 at sams. Outside: $4 per pound!

Just those 4 items save me more than my yearly fees. Then add on the 1x a year I save $100 buying tires from them and I'm in the black as far as savings go. Everything else is gravy.

I really don't see these kinds of price differences around here.  I buy a lot of eggs, butter, milk, heavy cream, cheese,etc... so I know what everyone charges for those things.  Sometimes their prices are cheaper than the regular grocery stores, but then we have a ton of discount stores like Aldi, Save-A-Lot, and Price Rite where they have the same per unit prices as the club stores, but you don't need to buy in any particular quantity to get that same price.  Plus no membership fees.

I paid that (per unit) for butter today at Aldi.  Eggs right now at Aldi are 72 cents a dozen.  Milk is $2.49 (and Walmart has it for under $2 a gallon right now). 

• Like 2

I paid that (per unit) for butter today at Aldi.  Eggs right now at Aldi are 72 cents a dozen.  Milk is $2.49 (and Walmart has it for under $2 a gallon right now). 

:laugh: If your prices are that cheap, then no wonder you wouldn't save. Even our Outlet stores are not that cheap around here. Ha! Welcome to Southern California! :lol: Land of high prices and sunny skies! :coolgleamA:

• Like 6

Back when they checked membership cards at the door, I used to say, "I'm here for the drugs" to the card checker.   There was some law the medicines had to be offered at the same price to non-members.   I am squeaky clean, I wouldn't do recreational drugs if they were legal AND free.   So, saying, "I'm here for the drugs" amused me.

If you are thinking about the cash back version they used to offer a prorated money back if it turned out to not pay for itself.   Verify this first, because this sort of thing changes.  So, lets say that the upgrade cost $20 more than the cash back you got.   They will refund you the $20.   They will only do this for one year.  

Also, if you have a friend with a membership, they can buy you Sam's gift cards.   Then you can use the gift cards without being a member.   (double-check on this too.  Things change).   But, this would be a way to give Sam's a whirl without being out the membership money.   

• Like 1

For this family of five Costco was worthwhile. Aldi only opened this area a couple of years ago, long after I'd joined Costco. And Also is not that convenient.

Ive had different favorites over the years. When the kids were small diapers at Costco were essential. I am thinking of dropping the membership now because my two oldest are away at college most of the year. I like the discounted gas, but it's not on my way to work anymore.

:laugh: If your prices are that cheap, then no wonder you wouldn't save. Even our Outlet stores are not that cheap around here. Ha! Welcome to Southern California! :lol: Land of high prices and sunny skies! :coolgleamA:

Oh!  Southern California!

Well at least you are nice and close to where a lot of stuff is grown.  In winter here good luck getting any vegetable that isn't half dead.

• Like 1

Oh!  Southern California!

Well at least you are nice and close to where a lot of stuff is grown.  In winter here good luck getting any vegetable that isn't half dead.

Yes, I <3 my produce outlet. I am almost embarrassed to say how cheap produce is here compared to other areas. I rarely pay more than .25-.50 a pound for anything.

Maybe grapes,colored bell peppers, and strawberries might be more per pound, but that's it.

• Like 1

Empty nesters here, but our extended family is huge when you factor in 12 grandkids.

Our Costco membership has saved us tons of money. I don't love spending time looking and shopping for the best deal in basics.

My DD shops mostly at Aldis, but agrees you must watch the coupon flyers at Costco and stock up then. Recently craisins were almost half off At Costco. Blew Aldis prices out of the water.

However things like gas and paper goods alone make it worth it for us.

We do have the executive membership and we get our full membership back plus a little more.

Factor in the Amex credit card rebate and we make money.

BTW we are not at all thrilled with the recent switch to The Citi Bank Visa. DH has three membership/credit cards without his picture on it. Citibank just can't get it right and don't seem to care. I loved my Amex customer support!

Edited by KatieinMich

Costco, yes, for our family. But it would be a no if I was only using it for groceries.  It also helps that I split the cost of membership with my mother.

For example-I purchased the comforter and sheets my ds will need for his dorm room for $40.

I tend to do a quarterly costco run where I will stock up on giant bags of baking soda (I use for cleaning), garbage bags, plastic flatware, etc. the costco brand of certain snacks, and I will pick up some groceries while I am there.  I like their private label items and convenience prepared foods. They have the best prices on some organic items and milk.   Some items I am paying for the convenience of buying a lot at once.  Some items are a bargain.  But you have to know your prices.  I can usually get paper goods for less at shoprite when they are having a good sale and I will stock up then.

I can't speak for Sam's because I will not shop at walmart companies.

I just started going to Sam's this year. I really like it and definitely save.

Some of these are probably repeats but this is what I save on at Sam's:

Gas

Tires

Optical

Clothes

Batteries

Generic zyrtec

Generic ibuprofen

Generic Tylenol

Generic baby wipes

Generic toilet paper

Generic trash bags

Laundry detergent (all free and clear)

Generic dishwasher detergent

Clorox wipes

Alcohol

Rosarita refried beans

Lindsay naturals black olives

Baking items

Spices

Lettuce

Broccoli

Corn

Meat

Cheese

Butter

Eggs

Milk

Since most items are in bulk, I am shopping less. I go to Sam's the first Friday of the month, Aldi the 2nd Friday to fill in a few things, Walmart on the 3rd Friday for a few things Ali doesn't carry and Aldi again for a few things on the 4th Friday. My fridge and freezers are better stocked and we are ordering takeout due to tiredness much less because there is always something to whip up now that we have a good stock.

Byptw we are not at all thrilled wirpth the recent switch to The Citi Bank Visa. DH has three membership/credit cards without his picture on it. Citibank just can't get it right and don't seem to care. I loved my Amex customer support!

my citi-visa has my pix.  dh despised amex, so he's thrilled they're gone.  we can use the visa more places, and the cash back rebates should be higher than what amex was giving.

Aldi has been selling butter for 1.79/lb, eggs for .79 to .99/doz. and 1.49 to 1.69 for milk. So I just go there instead....I dropped my Sams membership when we moved.  Our closest store (38 miles away) did not have any of the 5 items that I have been purchasing for years. No 5 lb bricks of cheddar, no Naked green juice, none of our favorite lunchmeat...everything else was cheaper at Aldi. If I do get up to the area where Sam's is located I hit up a salvage store and Winco instead.

Mostly I just shop Aldi, with a small Walmart trip twice a month for powdered Gatorade, laundry detergent, and gallon tubs of ice cream. I do look at the local grocery stores like HEB and Brookshires for meat deals.

I let my Sam's Club membership lapse because I've been shopping at Costco more lately.  Costco is new to our area- I've been a Sam's Plus member for YEARS!

I'm going back and forth on renewing my Sam's membership.  There are two specific things that kept me going back there all the time.  Number one is the produce.  In the heart of winter, it's hard to beat their produce department for fresh fruits and berries.   Number two is the meat.  I was a plus member, so I shopped in the early morning and would have my pick of the meat that they had marked down.  Those jumbo packs and pieces of meat are so easy to break down into family sized portions.   

I'm still mulling over renewing.  I prefer Costco for a lot of things, but they're just not living up to my expectations with regards to the produce and meat departments.  I'm just not sure I can justify two memberships.

I can't speak to comparing it to Aldi.  Our local Aldi's are disgusting so are not an option for me. 

my citi-visa has my pix. dh despised amex, so he's thrilled they're gone. we can use the visa more places, and the cash back rebates should be higher than what amex was giving.

Mine does too. They arrived in the same envelope. We have tried to fix it twice. They are telling me he has to go in and have his photo taken. Again.

I agree about the Visa being more widely accepted and I expect a bigger rebate check. But I still miss the customer service at Amex. Citi Bank was almost rude and got it wrong, three times now.

You are lucky to have the option to refuse. In my small town there is Walmart and Aldi. That's it. I drive an hour to get to Sam's once a month. The closest Costco is 3 hours away. :(

I am fortunate to have choices. I am sorry you don't.  If I didn't I would shop there, too.  Or order as much from amazon as I could.

We have Costco and it's worth it just for the gas prices. We also buy staples like milk, orange juice, flour and sugar there and they are well-priced. My husband is extremely frugal and Costco passes his frugality test, at least for the things we buy ;) I can see how it could get to be very expensive if you buy a lot of processed foods. 

We have always saved money with Costco overall but sometimes it's the convenience. I love Costco. Sometimes it's the fact that they have the brand we like. We like the samples. When my kids were little I managed to get them to try so many things because the samples seemed special and fun. I was thrilled to buy the sample product frequently because my picky eaters expanded their dining horizons hugely in those stores. The return policy is easy too.

I have never enjoyed Sam's as much but no longer have one available. I always thought Costco had higher quality standards.

I like Costco for the entertainment factor--never know what new products they will have.

Need saffron?  Yep, they have it.

Gluten free--new stuff all the time.

Real maple syrup. Got it.

And, if you plan it right, you can eat enough of the tasters to have a full lunch.

If you didn't plan it right, you can get a 1/4 pound beef hot dog plus a drink with free refills for $1.50.

• Like 1

I am fortunate to have choices. I am sorry you don't.  If I didn't I would shop there, too.  Or order as much from amazon as I could.

costco does have a lot of stuff online - many of the same items as the warehouse - including rx.

eta: I always laugh when I see costco items show up on amazon.   for  more.

Edited by gardenmom5

I recently joined Costco. I was disappointed to realize that the savings were basically equal to Aldi - except with Aldi I don't need a membership and can buy things in reasonable sizes.

I don't regret joining though. I'm still hopeful that I will make my membership $$ up in non grocery items as the year goes on. If not, at least I will no longer have to wonder if it is worth it.

I think it makes sense, especially if you cook with a lot of ingredients and not convenience foods, and don't have an Aldi around (wish we did!). We probably get $1200 in groceries and household products from Costco each month and about $400 from Melaleuca, Walmart, and Fred Meyer combined. We have an executive membership and still get a hundred or so back over the cost of the membership - so our member dues are fully paid by Costco and we pocket the extra.

Even when we had two or three small kids instead of half a dozen I'd say it was a good deal. Not always the cheapest on every item but the best quality for the money, especially the organic stuff. Produce is hit and miss but this is Alaska - that's life up here.

Edited by Arctic Mama

A friend gifted us a membership two years ago. After that year was up, we decided it was worth it based on our purchases. We buy selectively and only go for items that are a savings over our local stores.

If you travel, one thing that we found very useful was the gas savings and an inexpensive meal for the family at the cafe. That probably paid for our membership on a several thousand mile trip this summer. When we're interested in stopping, I plug Costco into the GPS to see if there's one coming up.

Erica in OR

Thanks ladies! I like the idea of going in and seeing for myself. I didn't realize that was an option! I'm working on a price book that includes all of the groceries and household/paper goods I regularly buy, by unit price, so I should be able to tell right off the bat. So far I have Kroger and Aldi, the places where I usually get groceries. 

I don't have a very big fridge, but I do have plenty of freezer and pantry space. So large quantities of frozen or shelf-stable stuff is okay. Those cheese prices are great! I think I'm getting a good deal when I find it for $0.18/oz, but what you are saying is $0.125. Sam's has curbside pick-up am I right?

• Like 1

Thanks ladies! I like the idea of going in and seeing for myself. I didn't realize that was an option! I'm working on a price book that includes all of the groceries and household/paper goods I regularly buy, by unit price, so I should be able to tell right off the bat. So far I have Kroger and Aldi, the places where I usually get groceries. 

I don't have a very big fridge, but I do have plenty of freezer and pantry space. So large quantities of frozen or shelf-stable stuff is okay. Those cheese prices are great! I think I'm getting a good deal when I find it for $0.18/oz, but what you are saying is $0.125. Sam's has curbside pick-up am I right?

With Sam's Club you can go online and order things ahead of time, and the store will put a cart together for you.  However, not everything in the store is available to order online.  I tried to do that once and things like salad mixes and lunch meats that they always have in-store were not available online to add to my cart.   

But you definitely can check it out without joining.  When you go in the first time, you'll need to go to the service counter and tell them you would like to shop that day to see if you'd like to join.  You'll get a one-time shopping pass to check it out.  Or you can go along with a friend sometime too. 

I love the online ordering for Sams. So far there is not much I couldn't order online (and they remember what I buy, so it's just clicking some check marks to add all the usuals to my cart). I can have DH pick it up on his way home especially during school weeks and it's one less thing to do. DH will sometimes pick up a few items he wants (croissants or shirt he saw he liked or something) and then go to the pick up counter and they will just tack it on to the order, no big deal. It's perfect when he goes Friday after our Mosque services and brings home a couple pizzas for dinner  :lol: !! Shopping AND Dinner done for Mom!

That is another reason I quit Costco, I was shocked they did not have that service! I use it so much.

From what I see, I think it really depends on managers and store work environment. All the Sams club employees I talked to love it there and the managers are very friendly. When I lived in another county, the Walmarts there were terrible (we had no Sams) and I went to Costco with my friend often and it was still super crowded, but not as bad as the one in the county I live now. BUT the prices were higher. I remember because I was teaching her how to coupon then and I was helping her make a price book so I went along to show her how and the prices were more than I was paying at Target, etc. She was finishing her PHD and had 2 littles and a DH who worked long hours, so she shopped there for convenience, not prices.

Sam's is the cheapest place around for dog food, spices, wine, good cheese, chicken breasts and tenders, and fantastic frozen veggies in the microwave steam bags. Totally worth it for my family.

Otherwise I shop at Aldi's to save money on other ingredients, or a fancy store when I care more about the ease and length of lines than I do about prices.

I only shop at Aldi and Sam's.  Sam's usually sends out a flyer with the monthly specials.  I try to shop using those specials.  I buy yogurt smoothies, baby bell cheese, toilet paper, strawberries, frozen chicken breasts, apples, ground beef the most.  The milk and eggs are usually cheaper at Aldi and NEVER buy soda/pop there. 

We also prefer their cat litter brand, powdered laundry detergent and can often get a good deal on furnace filters.

By us, the gas isn't really any cheaper than any other gas station.

The other day I bought some Eddie Bauer long sleeve t-shirts also.  They were just $10 each.

Edited by chicagoshannon

I just hit both websites to search how far away the nearest one of these is to us. Sam's is > 50 miles from us. It wouldn't tell me how far - just that there wasn't one within 50 miles of us. (Ok, there is one 63.3 miles from us because I've been to that one. And, apparently, they built one 59.9 miles from us within the last 5 years.) Costco is 65.3 miles.

It is 18.6 miles to the nearest state border where their gas tax is lower than ours - and I could save $.10 per gallon and I wouldn't have to buy Ethanol *gag* there, either. (Most of the local places have only ethanol blends.)

We checked out Sam's several years ago & weren't able to find very many of our normal purchases. In the case of what we could find, it was either more expensive (because we buy generic) or wasn't the right size (smaller cans so we'd have to buy two for each meal - thus costing us more money).

It didn't make any sense for us - especially when we'd have to do the drive, too.