Menu

Dollar store good/bad buys.....

Prairie~Phlox

I read this article http://www.thefrugalnavywife.com/7-items-to-never-buy-at-the-dollar-stores/

I don't agree with kitchen towels. We are hard on towels & I've found the microfiber towels to hold up well & if they don't, I'm only out a buck. No matter where I buy towels after several months, they just don't seem to stay smelling great, no matter what detergent I use.

Dollar store shave cream sucks, will never buy it again.

What's been your experience with dollar store stuff?

Note and greeting cards, gift bags.  Not wrapping paper; it's too thin and rips too easily.

Vases for when I want to take flowers to someone or when I need more than I have for a special event. 

I bought some potholders the other day.  They are fine.

Good buys: the foil helium balloons, stickers, Salon Selectives shampoo (cruelty-free!), greeting cards, vases, bags of shiny glass pebbles. 

I've purchased cheap Scotch tape I wasn't happy with before, but I'm not sure if it was from the dollar store. Their wrapping paper is thin.

I get coloring books, stickers, bingo markers, small notebooks for the kids as stocking stuffers, gift bags on the rare occasion I need one, and sometimes they have great educational posters.

I agree with the article that hand/dish towels are the worst from the dollar store. I get mine non dollar store ones to last longer by washing them in dillutes vinegar about once a month

The good:

I like buying thank you notecards there, decorative party napkins, helium balloons, and tissue paper (for sticking gifts in bags).  Sometimes they have cute holiday-themed glassware that I will pick up to use as a gift container (I do a lot of homemade food gifts).  

I also keep on hand one of their 12pk mini-clips--with my curly hair, I can quickly and easily pin up stray wisps and still look put together....

We will also buy the $1 bottle of aspirin and/or  Robutussin equivalent if we need it while traveling.  I'm not sure it is any cheaper than buying a bigger bottle at Costco, but it beats paying full-price at a drug store when on a trip.

I also pick up glow-bands-not sure if that is what they are called, but you pull on them or shake and they glow for awhile?  Fun treat for the kids when they were younger.

The bad:

I tried the spices once (on holiday with a kitchen, so had none with me) and they were terrible.  I pretty much stay away from food there.... though my friend swears by all of their stuff.....I think we have differing grocery needs..

Edited by vmsurbat

Also the bound composition books. The kids go through them like crazy here so $1 for them is a good deal. The paper is kinda thin but they don't care. Plastic storage/organizing baskets can be good in the smaller sizes. I think they are too flimsy for the bigger ones. Also, the clear plastic shoe boxes are a steal at $1. 

Dollar store is our friend, for certain stuff.

Toilet cleaner

Aluminum trays (to carry meals, don't worry about getting container back)

Diced garlic

Sunflower seeds (without shell)

Cranberries

Egg slicer

Vegetable brush

Thank you notes/blank notes

0.7mm refill for mechanical pencil

Some school supplies (white boards, card board)

Paper items for kids bday parties

Gift bags

Eucalyptus Epsom salt for baths

Seasonal paper plates

Hair ties (thick ones work well for us)

Body wash for kids

• Like 1

Bad: toothbrushes, potting soil, valentines day candy

Good: gift bags, party favors or accessories, notepads, candles, seeds.

The toothbrushes were the worst ever. They were hard and painful, bristles splayed almost instantly, and the handle was so weak it snapped during use.

good:

toothbrushes for cleaning and the kids multipack for when they go through that stage of "I do" and drop them on the floor, etc.

sponges

small dustpan/broom for kids rooms

tri fold boards (display for projects or girls made a "store" for their dolls)

foam board

coloring books (not the crayons though, horrible)

tissue paper for crafts

chenille stems

pom poms

ajax cleaner

small bins for organizing (bigger ones are too flimsy)

paper clips

binder clips

dry erase markers (they have one brand in a blue package 3 for $1 that are awesome)

white eraser sponges (like Mr Clean)

not so good:

stickers (don't peel off well)

crayons

some cleaners (seem diluted to me so no cost savings)

• Like 1

I've purchased a number of their small electronic devices (lights, calculators, solar dancing whatevers) so that the kids can take them apart to see how they work.

I've also purchased 1-inch binders, note cards, and other office supplies. 

DS10 went through a Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction book and nine out of ten of the supplies were all available at the local dollar store. It really made the obsession economical.  :001_smile:

• Like 1

Stuff I've used and liked:

greeting/note cards

gift bags/tissue/wrapping paper

glow sticks

word search/sudoku puzzle books

coloring books

Belly Flops--imperfect Jelly Bellys

puzzles--just tried one of their 300-piece puzzles and it was pretty good. The pieces are only about 1/2 as thick as name-brand puzzles but it was worth $1

elastic ponytail holders

clear plastic cups--perfect for dyeing Easter eggs

balloons

Awful:

crayons--I know, but it was part of a gift so we tried them out and it was as horrible an experience as you can imagine

disinfectant wipes--super thin

I know there are other things but I'm blanking on it right now

• Like 2

Just remembered--we had a poor experience with the envelopes. Maybe we just got a bad batch but they didn't stick closed. Which then made us think of the poison envelope episode of Seinfeld, so we used tape on them after that. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 2

Bad: small elastics for my girls hair, they were super thin and instantly broke. Stick with Sally's Beauty Supply for those.

Pencils-don't sharpen and constantly break, shaving cream-super thin and runny, 

Good: pregnancy tests-worked every time, shampoo and body wash for kids, aluminum pans for bringing people dinner, cards and thank you notes, wrapping paper and bags, paper plates and birthday party stuff, I buy the small containers for puzzle storage, poster board, ballons, toothpaste for kids, bubble bath for kids, glowsticks, elf cosmetics. 

• Like 1

Ours had a bunch of Betty Crocker stuff this year, measuring cups and spatulas and whatnot, and that was a good buy. 

Tons of workbooks when the kids were younger, they went through tons of them and they always had cute character ones. 

Spic and Span spray cleaner for our cabin in the woods (dh is strictly a 409 guy at home, lol). 

Sometimes they have brand name soap and shampoo. 

Toilet brushes. 

I always check the food section for failed product launches, lol. 

Oh, and I also don't agree on the kitchen towels. I've had plenty that held up just fine from the dollar store.  

My kids loved to buy toys there, as well. Of course you're not going to get the same use from a super cheap toy, that's not a great comparison imo. 

When I made my first post, I was talking about "everything's a dollar" stores like Dollar Tree, bc that's what dollar store means to me. Now that I read the article, I think she's talking about stores like Dollar General and Family Dollar. 

I read this article http://www.thefrugalnavywife.com/7-items-to-never-buy-at-the-dollar-stores/

I don't agree with kitchen towels. We are hard on towels & I've found the microfiber towels to hold up well & if they don't, I'm only out a buck. No matter where I buy towels after several months, they just don't seem to stay smelling great, no matter what detergent I use.

Dollar store shave cream sucks, will never buy it again.

What's been your experience with dollar store stuff?

Most dollar-store cleaning products I've tried seem just as good as the brand name ones for about 1/4 of the price. Other good buys (IMO)

anything disposable -- paper products, sponges, aluminum pie pans, etc.

food that is a real brand (always cheaper than in the regular grocery)

party supplies

plastic ware

I love Dollar Tree! Funny story-I was in there once and the guy in line in front of me was buying 2 marijuana test kits and a tube of personal lubricant. I assume he had big plans for the night.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings. There's a set of wash cloths I got at DG that I really like. I had dh go pick up another batch. But some are not as soft anymore so I don't know if they are starting to fall apart on me or if one batch was better. But they were super soft and nicer than all my others which were bought from various other places (dept. stores or Wal-mart). Not all the DG wash cloths are the same. These ones say "Comfort Bay fast dry."

I learned the hard way last time ds had a party that the batch of plasticware at Dollar Tree was suuuuper thin. Like thinner than I think it was in year's past. Next time I need plasticware I will probably get it at WM or something.

Things I like to buy at dollar stores... (sometimes depends on which dollar chain)

gift wrap stuff (tissue paper at DT. You can get 25 sheets for $1 which I always buy at Christmas time. Also ribbon. Usually buy the roll with 4 colors)

greeting cards. Family Dollar and Dollar General often have buy 2/$1 or such.

stationery (blank cards) packs

dish soap refill liquid sometimes

Charmin basic brand tp

dish sponges sometimes

shower curtain or bath mat for inside tub (it's been hit and miss with the liner)

baskets for storage

hanger clips to turn a regular hanger into one for skirts or pants

workbooks for PreK-1st grade

party plates/cups

small box of nursing pads when I was in a bind

discounted Valentine's chocolate covered pretzels

Probably need to double check ingredients for comparison but Children's brand name medicine Motrin and/or Mucinex was cheaper

no:

I don't know what brand it was but I tried a bottle of water that someone gave me from a dollar chain once. It was horrible. I'm not sure if this was exclusive to the store.

Some of the toys are just not worth it as the article said

Birthday party decorations.  

Plates/napkins/table cloths etc

Gift bags

Balloons

Disposable table items for parties or potlucks.

Bulk cards for general use with litle kids.

Occasionally they have nice school supplies.

I go to Dollar Tree where everything is only 1 dollar.

Stickers are hit and miss.  But we have found some cute ones there before.

Window clings for holidays.  (the kids love to put them in their bedrooms)

Holiday craft supplies.

Regular crafts supplies like pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks, glitter glue etc.

Sometimes they have decent brands of things like travel size toothpaste for camp.

Foil containers or cheap serving utensils.

Cheap disposable things like zip lock containers.  Ones that you can use for crafts and then toss.

I have some microfiber clothes from there that I have had for 5+ years.

Cheap, individual snacks for school parties.

Baby items for use with dolls.  LOL

Wrapping paper (yep it is thin, but it is cheap and I dont like to spend a lot on paper)

Their envelopes are very, very thin so I don't usually buy them for mailing, but the kids played with boxes of them.

They almost always have some version of an ABC sticker, so I used to buy them and send them to camp.

Poster board and foam core

Garage sale or vehicle for sale type signs.

Color or work books for little kids.

Board books for between the ages when they stop biting books and still aren't gentle with them. (I am not sure they are safe to chew on LOL)

Theater candy

Holiday decorations for when you want disposable items.  Like a school party. 

The dollar store can be a good place to learn about supply chains -- a lot of those generic products have interesting histories.

For instance, the local dollar store carries something called "Chef Ernesto's Battered Mushrooms":

Dollar_Tree_Battered_Mushrooms_Vegan-2.j

Chef Ernesto is actually named Sanjiv Kakkar, and his battered mushrooms are from a frozen food factory in Paonta Sahib, a rural town of about 19,000 in the Himachal Pradesh region of India.

A couple pictures from inside the factory:

​

4545184430_c59e0eab89_z.jpg

​(Mushroom growing)

​

4544552161_1feeb057bb_z.jpg

(Mushroom processing)

​

Sanjiv goes into how "Chef Ernesto" came to be in an interview:

​

“We had a broker in New York who ordered seven container loads of frozen apricots,†he says. The relationship had been going well until Sanjiv shipped the final load. The broker told Sanjiv that the customer wasn’t pleased and was reneging on his payment responsibilities. It seemed quite sudden to Sanjiv and he immediately came over to the U.S. to investigate.

After the broker refused to give Sanjiv the name of the customer in question, Sanjiv took it upon himself to find him. When he finally did, he made the 934 mile trip from Philadelphia to Red Wing, New York to confront the customer gone rogue. “His name was Mark,†remembers Sanjiv. When Sanjiv spoke with him, Mark didn’t know what Sanjiv was talking about. He told Sanjiv, “Your broker said you can’t supply anymore.â€

It was this unfortunate business relationship that led Sanjiv to move his entire family to the U.S. If he was going to be in the distribution business, he needed to be able to meet with his customers face-to-face.

[. . .]

While Sanjiv’s plants in India employ a collective 2,000 people, he has a lean team of 15 based out of New Jersey. “What 2,000 people produce, I am the only one who sells it,†he says. Though Sanjiv admits he still uses some brokers around the country, he’s buckled down since his earliest days of letting others have their way with his products. He’ll never forget his earliest experience with the broker who was stealing product from him.

Like any business there come times where Sanjiv has to write off debt from his customers. Except one. Speaking of that first broker, Sanjiv says, “I still have his name on my books, he still owes me money. I don’t write off his name.â€

The dollar store is full of stories. :)

Edited by Anacharsis

Dollar Tree is our go-to Dollar Store. I buy:

party supplies (plates, cups, napkins, utensils, tablecloths, etc.)

serving trays for parties or if I have to bring a finger food somewhere (don't have to worry about getting it back)

disposable aluminum pans for bringing food to other families

toothbrushes for spares (I pick up brand name ones for $1 each instead of the super cheap ones)

coloring books for my grandkids

sticker books

stickers (I get the brand name of these also, like Disney ones - they're just like the other stores except $1)

my reading glasses (I buy 5 pair at a time)

envelopes (I get the ones with the adhesive strip so I don't have to lick them)

bubble mailers

refills for my wrist tape dispenser

wrapping paper (not Christmas because it's a bit thin and for a lot of presents at a time, that's aggravating, but I get birthday paper and some generic paper I can use for other occasions, plus I use wrapping paper in the bottom of my parrotlet's cage instead of newspaper because it's colorful, fun and cheap - we don't get newspaper delivery where we live)

ribbon and browse for the birthday wrap

Over the years I've also gotten tons of stocking stuffers from Dollar Tree:

little flashlights

headphones for cheap spares

other little electronic accessories

tape measure

bungee cords for my son

packs of car cleaning wipes/protectant wipes/window wipes for my teens/young adults for their cars

manicure kits

those fluffy bath sponge things (have no idea what they actually call those - not the loofahs)

loofahs

handheld mirrors

balls for the grandkids

little Disney character figures

probably tons more stuff I can't think of - sometimes they have some really different stuff in there that I know is a name brand and I'll pick it up.