Menu

Grrr. I'm firing yet another hairstylist

hornblower

It wasn't complicated. I had a bob walking in, I wanted it trimmed and cleaned up and highlighted. 

I wanted Debbie Harry: Blonde, funky short bob. 

I got Elizabeth Warren. Lots of beige little thin highlights. It's the color of a cheap old lady  wig right now. 

I specifically said no layers in the back. In fact I wanted it undercut but she said told me she couldn't do that because I also didn't want a whole ton of angle (I didn't want a super angled Beckham, more a Phryne Fisher with just a small angle). So I thought she was saying that we were right at the hairline & that's why she couldn't undercut. Nope. She stacked the back!  

:cursing: 

It's like once I hit 40s everyone started giving me these conservative haircuts, even if I bring pictures and explain exactly what I want, I end up with this tame 'church lady' version. 

I haven't had a good hairstylist in 4 years. My guy moved away and orphaned me & I've been suffering ever since. 

Stupid woman can't even cut a bob straight - my right side is about 1/8 inch shorter than the left. 

2hr in a chair and $150 for dorky hair :( 

That right there is why I'm sporting hippie hair right now. (Age 41) I'm pretty sure that no matter where I go in my midwestern city, if I tell them I want anything even NEAR chin length, I'll be walking out of there with a stacked bob like every single Mom I know.

Do not want.

I mean, where do you go to recover from an unwanted stacked bob?? The Jamie Lee Curtis cut is all I can think of, and exactly what I would immediately pursue.

I'm so sorry.

• Like 1

It wasn't complicated. I had a bob walking in, I wanted it trimmed and cleaned up and highlighted.

I got Elizabeth Warren. Lots of beige little thin highlights. It's the color of a cheap old lady wig right now.

I specifically said no layers in the back. In fact I wanted it undercut but she said told me she couldn't do that because I also didn't want a whole ton of angle (I didn't want a super angled Beckham, more a Phryne Fisher with just a small angle). So I thought she was saying that we were right at the hairline & that's why she couldn't undercut. Nope. She stacked the back!

It's like once I hit 40s everyone started giving me these conservative haircuts, even if I bring pictures and explain exactly what I want, I end up with this tame 'church lady' version.

I haven't had a good hairstylist in 4 years. My guy moved away and orphaned me & I've been suffering ever since.

Stupid woman can't even cut a bob straight - my right side is about 1/8 inch shorter than the left.

You have me wondering if the last gal who cut my hair has moved to Canada. I haven't gotten it cut in months now, between letting hacked layers grow out and being in Trust No One mode. It is exceedingly frustrating to bring in a photo and still have such big mistakes.

Well that stinks. I get it. It's hard to find a new hairstylist. I bring lots of pictures so there's no question. My hair dresser tells me if something won't work. She's about my age so she gets me when I say not trying to look 20 or look like every other pta southern bell in town or frumpy. We have to discuss coloring my ever increasing grey hairs at my next visit.

• Like 1

I got Elizabeth Warren. Lots of beige little thin highlights. It's the color of a cheap old lady  wig right now. 

I thought, "Oh, Debby Harry! Super fun, super cute!"

Then I had to google Elizabeth Warren. And now I want to cry for you. That's not even in the same universe as what you asked for!!

Where do you live? (Rhetorical; personal, I know.) But I mean, are you near a downtown or college town? Maybe you'd have better luck at a salon that's geared towards a more edgy clientele. You might have to bring in a photo of Debby Harry LOL but they'd get the style right away and hopefully nail the cut you want.

I'm sorry you have a mom bob :sad: I hope it grows out quickly!

• Like 4

I hope you find a good hair stylist soon. I know how traumatic it can be to get a bad hair cut. My mother used to get me pixie cuts and would cut my bangs Howdy Doody style-the HORROR! I also went to get a graduated bob-one that grazed my shoulders-my hair was half way down my back at the time. The stylist cut my hair just above my chin in one big long horizontal cut and declared herself finished. I was so shocked I just paid and left. DH and my children look horrified. I did not get my hair cut for a LONG time after that. The guy I have now is great! I am so thankful for him. My hair is naturally a dark red but now I have greys-he colors it for me-a brighter red that is FUN, deep conditions it and gives me great cuts. My hair currently is a third of the way down my back. My avatar is my hair freshly cut, conditioned and colored with plum lowlights. I know how important a good hairstylist is and mine is never allowed to move. Again, I hope you find the right stylist for you and I am sorry your stylists don't listen to what you want. :svengo:

Edited by MeghansMom
  • Like 1

Oh I've been needing to rant about this and this is the perfect opportunity!

I took my oldest in for a cute bob, and she got this weird somewhat indescribable cut that didn't flatter her at all. I was blown away at how different the cut was from the picture we brought in.

Thinking cheap hair cut places are a drag, and wanting my own hair cut, I asked my sister for a recommendation. I went to her hair stylist and actually took in the same picture she took in of Kristen Bell. It was a very simple cut, figured anyone could do it. And it was FOUR INCHES shorter than what I asked for and MUCH shorter than what my sister got from the same woman with the same picture! Fortunately my hair started at my butt and ended up an inch or two longer than my collar bones and it was a well done cut. But that level of incompetence is really inexcusable.

By that point, I was totally paranoid and my middle child was wanting a cut. I went back to a cheap place and I think I scared the woman. I said, "Look, we've gotten two bad haircuts recently. I have a picture and I want you to honestly tell me if you can do it." I showed her the picture. We talked about it for a while and she even called me back to show her the picture again. The cut turned out perfectly and I went back to the same woman a couple weeks later to my oldest's hair fixed and she gave her an extremely flattering pixie cut. She works at Supercuts, seriously, and I don't want to go to anyone else at this point.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but how can there be so many incompetent hair dressers? Isn't looking at a picture and being able to copy it a basic skill of the profession? Or hey, being able to say, "That cut won't work with your hair, but I could modify it here and there and this is what you'll get." The more expensive hair cut I got truly was a nicer hair cut, but it wasn't what I asked for and four inches is really not an ok margin of error. I'm always way too nice about it too. I thanked her and tipped her even.

• Like 5

I'm not trying to be rude here, but how can there be so many incompetent hair dressers?

Because incompetence seems to reign everywhere, truly. From lawyers and doctors to hair stylists, from engineers to carpenters. It's scary. It's why I tremble when we hire people to come work on our house. I'm currently hiring for an admin assistant position at our company and you wouldn't believe the typos, spelling errors (even an applicant's first name--Barb is not Bar) and poor phrasing I get on the online interview and thank you emails after in-person interviews. It's very frustrating and it's just incompetence.

I gave my last stylist 2 tries and she still couldn't get it right. I'll go back to her for the great color, but no cuts.

Edited by momacacia
  • Like 6

I need to call my hair dresser and thank her. I have been going to her for 25 years and she never tries to chop my hair off. I did just get 5 inches cut off but it was way down my back and starting to irritate me. Still touches the top of my bra band.

I dont think I will ever go short.

• Like 1

I'm so scared to get mine cut. The last few times they (different stylists) always leave me with a duck tail in the back. Like, the hair at the nap of my neck is straighter than the rest so it always sticks out further and I try to explain this problem, but it seems to only surface after I've left the salon. I got layers last time so it looks a little less obvious, but the long bits are way too long in proportion to the rest. I don't like that.

The worst was when my hair dresser rushed me out and must have gone crazy with a thinning tool or something because I shed for a long time after that and some of the hair was the wrong length like she missed parts. I ended up getting almost fully refunded by the manager when I explained the situation. Haven't gone back there since.

Because incompetence seems to reign everywhere, truly. From lawyers and doctors to hair stylists, from engineers to carpenters. It's scary. It's why I tremble when we hire people to come work on our house. I'm currently hiring for an admin assistant position at our company and you wouldn't believe the typos, spelling errors (even an applicant's first name--Barb is not Bar) and poor phrasing I get on the online interview and thank you emails after in-person interviews. It's very frustrating and it's just incompetence.

I gave my last stylist 2 tries and she still couldn't get it right. I'll go back to her for the great color, but no cuts.

So true incompetence is everywhere. Our attorney is on my list. He screwed up our very simple custody modification a year ago. And now we need some more work done because dss19 aged out and dss15 has come to live with us. We cannot get the attorney to call is back. It is maddening. Dh has been calling since the first of June.

Oh my goodness. 

My hair stylist at .....get ready for it....Great Clips, does a fantastic job, in about 5 minutes to boot.  We jokingly call her Edward Scissorhands because I have never seen a person cut hair so quickly and accurately.  I've had a lot of bad cuts. 

$14.99.  I tip her $20 bucks and I'm out of there in 15 minutes. 

You might want to rethink the high end stylists if that is your result!  ;) It sure has happened to me.     One of my pale-haired children once just HAD to have black hair years ago, so I took her to one of those fancy-schmancy places.  The woman took SEVEN HOURS (because she didn't know what she was doing and had to have constant instruction from the manager), it costs me about $250 and we will never, ever do that again.  It looked nice but so not worth it. 

Yep, Great Clips is fine for me.  Sure, they move on in a few years, but I once had a great one for 7 years.  You never know. 

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 1

I thought, "Oh, Debby Harry! Super fun, super cute!"

Then I had to google Elizabeth Warren. And now I want to cry for you. That's not even in the same universe as what you asked for!!

Where do you live? (Rhetorical; personal, I know.) But I mean, are you near a downtown or college town? Maybe you'd have better luck at a salon that's geared towards a more edgy clientele. You might have to bring in a photo of Debby Harry LOL but they'd get the style right away and hopefully nail the cut you want.

I'm sorry you have a mom bob :sad: I hope it grows out quickly!

IKR? (& hey, I like Elizabeth Warren but I don't want to look like her :D ) 

I live in Greater Vancouver. I'm sure we have awesome world class stylists somewhere but it appears I'm in suburban mom with stacked bob hell. 

• Like 1

Oh my goodness. 

My hair stylist at .....get ready for it....Great Clips, does a fantastic job, in about 5 minutes to boot.  We jokingly call her Edward Scissorhands because I have never seen a person cut hair so quickly and accurately.  I've had a lot of bad cuts. 

$14.99.  I tip her $20 bucks and I'm out of there in 15 minutes. 

You might want to rethink the high end stylists if that is your result!  ;) It sure has happened to me.     One of my pale-haired children once just HAD to have black hair years ago, so I took her to one of those fancy-schmancy places.  The woman took SEVEN HOURS (because she didn't know what she was doing and had to have constant instruction from the manager), it costs me about $250 and we will never, ever do that again.  It looked nice but so not worth it. 

Yep, Great Clips is fine for me.  Sure, they move on in a few years, but I once had a great one for 7 years.  You never know. 

Actually when I had my pixies, I did have it cleaned up several times at Great Clips.  I was coloring it myself and I essentially had a little boy cut. 

When I was at university I was a model for a pretty ritzy salon / hair academy in Vancouver. I couldn't afford to pay the full prices but being a model meant you got deep discounts. Anyway, just checked what that salon is charging these days. Seems every stylist is quoting 90+ and highlights are 100+ Even if I could be bothered to drive there, I'm way too cheap to spend that much money. And I don't have time to be a student model. They want you in the chair for 2-4h for just a cut!  

But our last experience at Great Clips was with my dd about 10 years ago. I was failing at cutting a straight edge on her very straight blonde hair so I took her in there. They too failed. It made me feel better that my attempts always looked so bad... Cutting a straight line in straight fine hair is not so easy I guess.

But these days the mid price salons don't seem to know how to do it either.

When I had precision bobs in the 80s and 90s, they'd take a long time because they'd cut in small sections. Dd's last bob (just above the shoulder) the woman cut it dry and just whacked it all off at the same time; didn't do the whole sectioning and cutting a bit and bringing more hair in and cutting to match etc.... It pretty much looks like how I used to cut it with kitchen scissors when she was 8.  I mean wth is going on with these stylists??? 

Must be nice to have style choices. I do what the curls tell me to do. If I try to get even close to short, they go all a Little Orphan Annie on me, so I haven't repeated that mistake since middle school. It's humid here today. I can feel my hair shrinking when I go outside.

I am flabbergasted that the op can go in with pictures and detailed description and just get ignored. How is that even a thing if you have the right type of hair for the cut???

• Like 1

Actually when I had my pixies, I did have it cleaned up several times at Great Clips.  I was coloring it myself and I essentially had a little boy cut. 

When I was at university I was a model for a pretty ritzy salon / hair academy in Vancouver. I couldn't afford to pay the full prices but being a model meant you got deep discounts. Anyway, just checked what that salon is charging these days. Seems every stylist is quoting 90+ and highlights are 100+ Even if I could be bothered to drive there, I'm way too cheap to spend that much money. And I don't have time to be a student model. They want you in the chair for 2-4h for just a cut!  

But our last experience at Great Clips was with my dd about 10 years ago. I was failing at cutting a straight edge on her very straight blonde hair so I took her in there. They too failed. It made me feel better that my attempts always looked so bad... Cutting a straight line in straight fine hair is not so easy I guess.

But these days the mid price salons don't seem to know how to do it either.

When I had precision bobs in the 80s and 90s, they'd take a long time because they'd cut in small sections. Dd's last bob (just above the shoulder) the woman cut it dry and just whacked it all off at the same time; didn't do the whole sectioning and cutting a bit and bringing more hair in and cutting to match etc.... It pretty much looks like how I used to cut it with kitchen scissors when she was 8.  I mean wth is going on with these stylists??? 

Having fine hair, I know exactly what you mean!  It's hard to find a good one who gets this. EVERY error shows on fine hair. 

• Like 2

I had a really bad cut about 2 years ago now. I've been growing it out ever since.. I don't know why my girl cut it super short but I looked horrible. Lucky my hair does grow fast. My bangs are now down past my chin. I'm waiting to figure out what I want before I get it cut again. If I had the money, I'd buy a couple of really great wigs and just shave my head!

• Like 1

Must be nice to have style choices. I do what the curls tell me to do. If I try to get even close to short, they go all a Little Orphan Annie on me, so I haven't repeated that mistake since middle school. It's humid here today. I can feel my hair shrinking when I go outside.

I am flabbergasted that the op can go in with pictures and detailed description and just get ignored. How is that even a thing if you have the right type of hair for the cut???

That reminds me of another hair mistake from about 2 years ago. That stylist actually got it right - once. It was actually exactly what I wanted. I came back 8 weeks later, brought the same photo again, and said loved the last one, do it again just like that.  My hair had grown out pretty evenly so it was really just trimming and reshaping it. Easy, right? 

NOPE.

Didn't get it. My guess is the first was one was fluke and she didn't actually know how she did it... The proportions and shaping were all different. It was a different cut. 

(& nice try but don't try to convince me curls are bad :laugh: . I have lusted after curls for over 40 years. My mom got me to eat all my vegetables as a child by convincing me it would make my hair curly.  The truly terrible hair disasters in my life have all been perm related. My dh has standing orders to tackle me to the ground and lock me in my room with my old photo albums if I start mentioning perms because I went through this phase of every 5 years or so becoming convinced that THIS TIME it would be different and I'd have magnificent gorgeous waves...... ) 

• Like 1

Ok, wait, I have more complaints.... 

Woman in chair next to me was telling her stylist that she's been having an odd patch of dry skin at her hairline in the back. Stylist looks at it. "oh it looks like calcium build up. I wouldn't worry about it if it's not itching you." 

??? 

cause you know how going to hair styling school for 12 weeks is essentially EXACTLY like being a dermatologist. 

Also, since when are our heads like kettles and coffee makers? People don't get calcium build up on their skin for pete's sake! 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 4

Debbie Harry is not Derby Harry --- I was so confused for a minute. The Elizabeth one was looking better at first.

I went super short pixie and my first cut was awesome. With lots of constantly saying "yes, go much shorter"). Went back a month later to trim it back into shape and got a totally different cut that I wanted to hide from the world. Luckily a couple weeks later it was perfect and I spent a week out of town so no one had to see it.

I am now in need of a new stylist. My husband just went to a men's salon and she did awesome. I asked if she could do mine too but sadly they only do men. Foo.

• Like 1

That reminds me of another hair mistake from about 2 years ago. That stylist actually got it right - once. It was actually exactly what I wanted. I came back 8 weeks later, brought the same photo again, and said loved the last one, do it again just like that. My hair had grown out pretty evenly so it was really just trimming and reshaping it. Easy, right?

NOPE.

Didn't get it. My guess is the first was one was fluke and she didn't actually know how she did it... The proportions and shaping were all different. It was a different cut.

(& nice try but don't try to convince me curls are bad :laugh: . I have lusted after curls for over 40 years. My mom got me to eat all my vegetables as a child by convincing me it would make my hair curly. The truly terrible hair disasters in my life have all been perm related. My dh has standing orders to tackle me to the ground and lock me in my room with my old photo albums if I start mentioning perms because I went through this phase of every 5 years or so becoming convinced that THIS TIME it would be different and I'd have magnificent gorgeous waves...... )

I remember being sad in elementary school when every girl but me could get the Dorothy Hammill cut. I asked for it. My mother let me down gently.

• Like 1

I remember being sad in elementary school when every girl but me could get the Dorothy Hammill cut. I asked for it. My mother let me down gently.

Ok, now I'm sad for you. I had that cut once.

To make you feel better though, it was quite horrible on me;  looked more like a sloped bowl cut than anything and on fine limp hair, it was really sad looking. 

Then I coveted feathered Farrah Fawcett hair. Again, no go. 

hey - getting pregnant really changed my hair for the better.  It got a lot thicker during pregnancy and while I lost a bunch of that hair eventually, I still ended up with hair with a bit more body & texture. It's probably a very good thing I didn't know this in my teens because I totally would have wanted a baby to get better hair. 

• Like 1

I think I'm going to bring my hair stylist a latte this week to thank her for never trying to give me a mom cut. On a related note, if you're passing through central VT, I have a hair stylist recommendation. Reasonable rates too!

I guess one good thing about having lots of curly hair is that no one even wants to attempt a stacked bob on me!

• Like 2

First, I'm truly sad that this happened to you. I'm a licensed cosmetologist, not currently employed. I feel the pain on both sides of the chair.

I do have to say that 1/8 inch difference is negligible. Could be incompetence, could be your head was slightly tilted or your legs were crossed (crossed legs pull body/head off balance) could be your ears are uneven and she lined the length up according to your ears but it is not straight or 'level' looking at it, hard to explain, but trust me:many peop,e have uneven ears and short cuts highlight that fact.

My advice: Stop people you see whose hair you like and ask where they get it done, then go there.

Oh I've been needing to rant about this and this is the perfect opportunity!

I took my oldest in for a cute bob, and she got this weird somewhat indescribable cut that didn't flatter her at all. I was blown away at how different the cut was from the picture we brought in.

Thinking cheap hair cut places are a drag, and wanting my own hair cut, I asked my sister for a recommendation. I went to her hair stylist and actually took in the same picture she took in of Kristen Bell. It was a very simple cut, figured anyone could do it. And it was FOUR INCHES shorter than what I asked for and MUCH shorter than what my sister got from the same woman with the same picture! Fortunately my hair started at my butt and ended up an inch or two longer than my collar bones and it was a well done cut. But that level of incompetence is really inexcusable.

By that point, I was totally paranoid and my middle child was wanting a cut. I went back to a cheap place and I think I scared the woman. I said, "Look, we've gotten two bad haircuts recently. I have a picture and I want you to honestly tell me if you can do it." I showed her the picture. We talked about it for a while and she even called me back to show her the picture again. The cut turned out perfectly and I went back to the same woman a couple weeks later to my oldest's hair fixed and she gave her an extremely flattering pixie cut. She works at Supercuts, seriously, and I don't want to go to anyone else at this point.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but how can there be so many incompetent hair dressers? Isn't looking at a picture and being able to copy it a basic skill of the profession? Or hey, being able to say, "That cut won't work with your hair, but I could modify it here and there and this is what you'll get." The more expensive hair cut I got truly was a nicer hair cut, but it wasn't what I asked for and four inches is really not an ok margin of error. I'm always way too nice about it too. I thanked her and tipped her even.

No idea about incompetent hairdressers, probably same as all professions. in my state we need 1,250 hours to be eligible to take the licensing exam. And in most cities, everyone goes to the same 1-3 schools, so a quick service chain stylist and a high end salon worker probably went to school together. Some choose chain jobs for location, flexibility, and base pay.

Again, I encourage people to find a hairstyle they like on a passing human and pounce on them for salon info.

Good luck, everyone! Ă°Å¸â€™â€¡Ă°Å¸Â»

• Like 2

My male hairstylist told me to always go to a guy. He said a guy wants you to walk out of there looking your best. A girl will make sure you don't look as good as her.

I don't know if that's true but I have had better luck with men.

• Like 2

I have never, for the life of me, been able to figure out what a mom cut is or what mom jeans are. I guess that might mean I have both. LOL! Carry on. 

DH, who plays poker, always says, if you don't know who the sucker at the table is, the sucker is you, lol.

• Like 4

Ok, now I'm sad for you. I had that cut once.

To make you feel better though, it was quite horrible on me; looked more like a sloped bowl cut than anything and on fine limp hair, it was really sad looking.

Then I coveted feathered Farrah Fawcett hair. Again, no go.

hey - getting pregnant really changed my hair for the better. It got a lot thicker during pregnancy and while I lost a bunch of that hair eventually, I still ended up with hair with a bit more body & texture. It's probably a very good thing I didn't know this in my teens because I totally would have wanted a baby to get better hair.

See! EVERYONE but me had that hair! I'll bet when you dreamt of curly hair you didn't mean baby fine hair in Shirley Temple ringlets that coil tighter when there's moisture in the air.

My hair actually grew in straight with my first baby and didn't resume the curls until she weaned. I looked a mess for a while. At least my daughter has that thick, versatile hair that you can dye any color and style any way. It holds curl and can be straightened. I hope she knows how fortunate she is. She can thank her father.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry.   :grouphug: Unfortunately, I understand all too well.  I've decided that I must have some sort of not yet discovered by an important scientist condition that prevents me from being able to communicate clearly with a hairstylist.  Seriously.  I have lost track of the number of times that I have gotten the opposite of what I've asked for.  That is why my hair is long and I am cutting it myself.  I figure that if I'm not going to have a cute style, at least I've lowered my expectations since I am not a trained and licensed professional!  :lol:

I did have an amazing hairstylist for a period of my life.  I started going to her shortly after she started and she was phenomenal.  I continued to go to her as she rose in the ranks, not minding the cost because she aways knew what to do.  When I moved 600 miles away with a pixie cut, I could go for several months between cuts she was so good.  Sadly, I haven't been in that area of the country for years.  *sniff, sniff*

• Like 1

Oh, I feel for you. After ten years of passable to mediocre haircuts I finally found a hairdresser.

I'll second the male hairdresser recommendation. Not only is the cut fantastic, but he spends the whole time chatting about my hair and what I want to do with it. I have no idea about any of his family members, his most recent vacation, or his pain in the butt neighbors. In other words, no small talk! An introverts dream!

• Like 3

I'm pretty fed up at this point too. I've been asking my stylist to trim "just 1/4 inch" each time I go in so that "it can grow to my shoulders." I have super thick, wavy hair so not trimming it makes it look really frizzy.

It's been a year and there's been no growth. In the past, just taking 1/4 inch off should have resulted in longer hair.

Back to you: having paid $150, I'd complain and at least get the color fixed at no charge to you.

Also, just fyi: have you seen the hair pieces that are out today?? I was looking at some for a friend and was surprised. They're not too pricey either.

Alley

I like the way my guy colors my hair, but twice he's told me he wouldn't give me layers in the back (I have hair that's about 4 inches below my armpit) because they'll make my hair look thin. ? I've had long layers before and it was perfect. He also didn't want to do some highlights I asked about. Now, I want a stylist to be honest with me if something is going to make me look bad, but come one -a few layers in the back? Just do it, man.

Needless to say, I'm in the market for a new guy. Sigh. I miss the girl from my old town.

OT, but I never imagined you as blonde, hornblower!

:laugh:  really?  Was it maybe because I had dark haired Ioan Gruffudd as my profile for eons before the external images ban? (he has curls! she sighed yearningly...) 

I'm your stereotypical northern European blonde, blue eyed thing (with bonus rosacea!). As a kid I was very light ash blonde. Turned dark blonde in my teens & have been lightening it in various ways since. Except a few forays into darker colors when I was in my 20s. That was fun but when I hit late 30's, when I had my old good stylist, he told me right off "if you go darker, it'll age you. I love you as a blonde. You're meant to be blonde!" 

I think he's right. Robin Wright did it & I think the dark was less flattering & more aging. She went back to blonde pretty quickly...

• Like 1

So true incompetence is everywhere.

It's even down under....I have a mop of unruly kinks - not quite curly, and not straight. I spent thirty years of my life not really knowing what to do with it, hurtling from one terrible style cut to the next.

Eventually we moved to new area, and I was chatting with the neighbour...who happened to be a hairdresser, I mentioned that I never knew what to do with my hair, and she just sort of looked at me with a glint in her eye, and said "come over for coffee". Then she CHANGED.MY.LIFE. Gave me amazing cuts, colours and told me the products I needed to use. I had Ă¢â‚¬â€¹fabulous hair for the first time in my life, and we became great friends. If I was ever famous, I would hire her as my personal hairstylist.

Then we moved and I had to find another one...I was miserable and refused to just try out any old one. In the end, I was in the supermarket, and there was a lady who had a great cut, and what sort of looked like my hair so I just asked her where she got her hair cut. Weirdest thing ever to do at the checkout - wouldn't really recommend it as it became a bit awkward, but I did find a new hairdresser who is Ă¢â‚¬â€¹almost as good as the previous one.

I did find that it still took a little while to work it all out - its a bit of trial and error. But she is always happy for me to pop back in if it's really not working and she'll fix it.

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹

• Like 2

I got Elizabeth Warren. Lots of beige little thin highlights. It's the color of a cheap old lady wig right now.

Yep I'm hearing you. Whatever I ask for I get the mum cut. Luckily Dh likes it but I really want something different.

• Like 1

I heard once a quote by some famous hair stylist that the reason for his success could be attributed to the "grass is always greener" syndrome. I wish I could remember who it was, but he basically said that curly hairs want to be straightened and straight hairs want to be curly, and he makes it all happen. :lol:

I say this because I have straight, coarse Asian hair. I'd die for some curls. Heck, I'd maim just for some waves. I think Orphan Annie way cuter than, say, the hair helmet every Asian girl gets as a rite of passage!

• Like 1

I had a similar experience.

My stylist had surgery and is out of commission, maybe permanently.

So I went in and asked her to trim up my existing bob, maybe going a bit shorter for summer.

She asked if she could cut it dry so she could see my hair better. Um, okay.

I have layers. Lots of layers. I can't believe it. It's not the worst cut I've ever had, but it's definitely not what I wanted. I dislike my hair when I look in the mirror.

I need another cut, and I'm afraid to go anywhere. The worst cut I ever had was when I first moved here. I didn't get it cut again for over a year, and even then I just had dead ends trimmed off. It took a long time to grow that mess out. I don't even want to think how long it would take to grow out these layers.

Edited by sbgrace

I love my guy. He was personally trained by Vidal Sassoon. (Remember their shampoo tag-line? :laugh: ) I like my hair short & I trust him enough that I usually tell him to cut it however he wants & however will look good.

Anyway, this is reminding me that I'm seriously overdue for a cut. I generally keep my hair pretty short but it has grown out a lot. Considering I have wavy hair & live in high humidity, I am usually rocking a mad scientist look these days. (Not really the look I'm going for....)

Will be calling to make my appointment this week!

P.S. I had the Dorothy Hamill cut! And I see it often because that middle school picture of me still hangs on the kitchen wall at my parents' house. :lol:

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1

My hairstylist is excellent.  She finds a pair of fiskars scissors (the big ones with the orange handle), cleans off any glue or other sticky substance, and hacks it off just below my shoulders about 3x/year.  Then she advises braiding it or doing ponytails until the rough edges even out.

She doesn't charge :)

Seriously, I have ever in my life had one good haircut.  The odds just stopped being worth it.

I don't color.

• Like 1