Menu

Grrr. I'm firing yet another hairstylist

hornblower

This happened to me once; I came in with a picture of a short, straight, young hairstyle. I left with a fluffy, frumpy monstrosity. I was in my early 20's at the time, though.

I bring pictures, but I want the stylist to tell me if they can't do that with my hair or head shape. Just tell me it's not gonna happen so that I can reevaluate what I want.

Now my DH prefers long hair, so I solved my problem by just getting it trimmed every few months.

Edited by JodiSue

I remember being sad in elementary school when every girl but me could get the Dorothy Hammill cut. I asked for it. My mother let me down gently.

yeah, that was me too. I tried with hot rollers. 

I've paid for about two good hair cuts in my life, thick curly hair. Even the high end stylist wouldn't listen to me and wanted to make me look like a poodle with bangs. My son trimmed my hair when he was about seven, he did a better job than some stylists. 

Bad haircuts are the worst, I hope yours grows out soon. 

• Like 1

I have never, for the life of me, been able to figure out what a mom cut is or what mom jeans are. I guess that might mean I have both. LOL! Carry on. 

You and me both. And--to sidetrack things--what's the problem with either of them, I'd like to know? I always find the slightly derogatory use of those terms odd. Mom-shaming, perhaps? That's definitely a different thread!

OP--hope your hair grows back quickly and you find the perfect stylist next time. It stinks to not feel your best because someone else didn't do their job well.

• Like 1

Commiserating here. I have tried so many places, took pictures, asked first if they were able to do that with my hair, etc. Apparently, long layers does not mean what I think it means. Every time I have asked for that, it looks like I let somebody run over it with a lawn mower. Last lady I went to, I took pictures of the cut I wanted from all angles. I know my hair can do it, because it is the same as the model's. She told me, "If I can't do that, I need to just get out of the business." Well, I came home with one side about an inch longer than the other, with a weird layer hanging out from underneath. My aunt had to trim it up for me. I give up. Aging hippy style, here I come.

• Like 1

I heard once a quote by some famous hair stylist that the reason for his success could be attributed to the "grass is always greener" syndrome. I wish I could remember who it was, but he basically said that curly hairs want to be straightened and straight hairs want to be curly, and he makes it all happen. :lol:

I say this because I have straight, coarse Asian hair. I'd die for some curls. Heck, I'd maim just for some waves. I think Orphan Annie way cuter than, say, the hair helmet every Asian girl gets as a rite of passage!

My hair has become curly over the last several years. I don't know why, aaaargh. You can have the curls. Really. Head full of blonde curls, a few greys mixed in. There may or may not be pink or turquoise, too. They're yours. Really.

In a particularly, ummmm, poofy moment yesterday, DH said it looks like I'm channeling Albert Einstein. I thought it was more of a Beethoven, but no.

My stylist was excellent with my smooth, straight hair, with a few waves. We've got 12 years together. She is shocked at my sudden ringlets. It's not looking so good these days, unless looking like one stuck a finger in a light socket is a thing. I don't know what to do.

And, Debbie Harry over Elizabeth Warren any day!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I have a very lovely young man that does my hair now. He's the only one who doesn't think a lady over a certain age needs to stack the back of her hair. WTH is with that anyway?! I also have a bob that I like to hit at chin level, that's it, nothing more is needed (other than color) so I really don't understand how other hairstylists don't understand that. Ugh, I feel your pain. I've had it happen too.

• Like 1

I heard once a quote by some famous hair stylist that the reason for his success could be attributed to the "grass is always greener" syndrome. I wish I could remember who it was, but he basically said that curly hairs want to be straightened and straight hairs want to be curly, and he makes it all happen. :lol:

I say this because I have straight, coarse Asian hair. I'd die for some curls. Heck, I'd maim just for some waves. I think Orphan Annie way cuter than, say, the hair helmet every Asian girl gets as a rite of passage!

It must be true that the grass is always greener because I have always envied Asian women their silky straight hair! I have frizzy wavy hair that is very difficult to manage. If I never had to use heat tools again I would be so happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh my goodness.

My hair stylist at .....get ready for it....Great Clips, does a fantastic job, in about 5 minutes to boot. We jokingly call her Edward Scissorhands because I have never seen a person cut hair so quickly and accurately. I've had a lot of bad cuts.

$14.99. I tip her $20 bucks and I'm out of there in 15 minutes.

You might want to rethink the high end stylists if that is your result! ;) It sure has happened to me. One of my pale-haired children once just HAD to have black hair years ago, so I took her to one of those fancy-schmancy places. The woman took SEVEN HOURS (because she didn't know what she was doing and had to have constant instruction from the manager), it costs me about $250 and we will never, ever do that again. It looked nice but so not worth it.

Yep, Great Clips is fine for me. Sure, they move on in a few years, but I once had a great one for 7 years. You never know.

My kids both got great cuts at Great Clips today and I wrote down the stylist's name for next time. She actually got my 3-year-old birthday girl to sit still for her stacked bob :). I'm thinking about going to her tomorrow to get a pixie cut myself.