Menu

How much is this house near you?

mommyoffive

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know!  When I was searching it said average home price was $250,000 or something.  There was just an article in our local paper about the shortage of housing under $300,000.  When a house comes up under that, it goes within days and there is usually a bidding war.  Some friends were looking for months for a house under $200,000, and literally they never even got to look at one.  By the time the listing was up, and they called, the houses were already pending.  That went on for over 6 months and they gave up.

Yeah, the only way that is the average is if they are including those shacks that have been abandoned and condemned in the calculations. 

• Like 1

Ours really varies, as we have a lot of new sub division building (400-600k for your criteria without acreage) surrounded by a lot of rural land. We live in a community but there is a 7 acre property almost in walking distance that is listed for 3.5 million. The land and pool is goegeous, but the inside needs some major updating.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

500K-750K with an hour minimum commute to city in bad traffic. Plus wicked high property taxes.

Oh, yikes. This was my rough estimate; I just now actually put the stats into realtor.com (1 acre), and found exactly 4 such properties in a 20-mile radius of our zip code. 539K to 2.5 million.  And add $18-20K property taxes / yr.

New England.

In my old town in NoVA, I don't think it exists, especially not with the acreage requirement. Without the land, it would probably be 700k.

We just moved across the river to a house in Maryland that almost matches the description. 5 beds, 3000sqft, 2.5 baths, 5 acres. It's not new, build in the 40's, renovated in the 90's, but good condition. 400,000. 20 minute commute to DC. It's amazing what crossing state lines can do for housing costs.

• Like 1

275K-500K.

When I searched, there were only 4 properties.  Not sure what the inside of any of them looked like - I'm guessing the nicer the inside, the higher in that range it is.

ETA: I looked at the inside pictures of the low end one (there was literally ONE that was on the low end lol)... it was not updated at all.  

So, 500K it is.

Edited by PeacefulChaos

That is not an easy find. There are only 12 properties fitting those criteria in my area, half of which are over $1 million. The remaining 6 are under $600,000, with the lowest being $260k. Before actually searching I was guessing $300,000.

The cheapest I see listed that seems to fit that description (looking at the photos - the house is from 1900, but it looks new enough inside - judge for yourself by following the link) is $330k, but more typical is $500k-$700k.

http://www.trulia.com/property/1089194139-5930-Salt-Rd-Clarence-NY-14031

Whoa – I might know that house. I grew up a few blocks away.

Fun! :)

In the entire county, if I set the search to all your requirements but filter out the houses over 4000sf, I get two results. One is $650k, old but not in a classic style and looks to be a house with a cottage to get to the 5 bedroom mark. One is 1.2 million and lake view but in a farther out burb on a hellishly trafficky commute route. Most of the 5 bedroom houses on 1-5 acres are more than 4000 SF, especially the new ones. Filtering homes over 5000 SF, I get 18 homes, only three of which are less than 1 million. Those three are all $550-700k in crappy school districts, with one essentially bordering the airport and one other fairly close to the airport. The ones over 1 million range from 1.1 million to 18 million. There are many 1 million+ homes that meet the other specs for 1-3 million that do not have 1 acre, with quite a few having tiny lots.

what search engine did you use?  I used redfin and got more hits.  limiting it to 4000sq ft really cut down on the numbers.  found a 1970s (they're advertising as a) tear down in bothell on a scant 3 acres for $1.4M  (just failed a feasibility study so potential buy fell through.)  it  - but is listed for the land. there was a nice one on Bainbridge for $3.5M - and it WASN'T on the water! (or had a water view)  I don't understand why anyone would want that commute (ferry - and for those not from here, yes, people commute that every day).  

taking out limits for size/beds/etc. - I got a hit on Mercer Island for $26.8M  1.89 wooded acres 1/2 way down east channel waterfront  - not a bad location really.  

there's a 1950's (tear down) house on three acres on my street - the last big piece of dirt left.  when the owner dies I expect his children will sell it.  (he's in his 90's and still lives there.)    right now - only really naïve developers or RE agents approach him . . . . 

As easy as it is these days to take pictures and upload them, any house without interior pictures leaves me wanting to run far, far away without looking. Just saying.

yeah - if they're not including pix of the inside, it's a tear down.  only one or two pix inside makes me think serious work.

Yeah, the only way that is the average is if they are including those shacks that have been abandoned and condemned in the calculations. 

or foreclosed and in need of serious repair.  (we looked at one when dd was house shopping..  the buyer put serious money in it to make it habitable.)

what search engine did you use? I used redfin and got more hits. limiting it to 4000sq ft really cut down on the numbers. found a 1970s (they're advertising as a) tear down in bothell on a scant 3 acres for $1.4M (just failed a feasibility study so potential buy fell through.) it - but is listed for the land. there was a nice one on Bainbridge for $3.5M - and it WASN'T on the water! (or had a water view) I don't understand why anyone would want that commute (ferry - and for those not from here, yes, people commute that every day).

taking out limits for size/beds/etc. - I got a hit on Mercer Island for $26.8M 1.89 wooded acres 1/2 way down east channel waterfront - not a bad location really.

there's a 1950's (tear down) house on three acres on my street - the last big piece of dirt left. when the owner dies I expect his children will sell it. (he's in his 90's and still lives there.) right now - only really naïve developers or RE agents approach him . . . .

yeah - if they're not including pix of the inside, it's a tear down. only one or two pix inside makes me think serious work.

or foreclosed and in need of serious repair. (we looked at one when dd was house shopping.. the buyer put serious money in it to make it habitable.)

I used Redfin too. So go figure I guess as to the different results.

That teardown in Bothell is basically on the trail right near Woodinville if we are thinking of the same listing and would be one of my dream locations, lol.

My general area is consider very reasonable for housing.  The problem is really with the requirements in this case I think.   "My areaarea" means in the city, and city sized lots do not generally get quite that big.  So any that are are a premium price.  Plus, there aren't many homes that big to start with - five bedroom homes are rather unusual - if you ask for for instead there are far more results.  The square footage is also a little on the high side. 

There area few older places in the city that were estate homes, and may still have that much land intact, those are likely to be heritage properties and will be expensive.   Some luxury subdivisions will have homes that size, they tend to be on the outskirts.  Because they are meant to be luxery properties and appeal to a particular sort of person, they also tend to be pricy.  And maybe more importantly, they are mostly newer so the cost of that much square fottage is high.

OTOH - I was looking at a property a year ago that had the house requirements, plus about 20 acres and a barn that needed work, and a pond.  It was quite old - over 200 years, and very beautiful of it's type with lots of historic features left intact.  However - it is in a small out of the way area with only a general store, school, and farms, 45 min to the nearest village/town, and close to two hours into the city.

I live in a HCOL area and I love it here. I NEVER want lots of land to maintain.

I agree with you, but we deliberately bought a house that backs up to an open space so that it doesn't feel like we've got neighbors right on top of us. Best of both worlds :001_smile:

• Like 1

I agree totally.  In hindsight we were lucky as we really didn't totally know what we were doing when we opted to move here.  We moved when the kids were young (5, 3, 18 months), so they've grown up here and found their tribe.  Middle son just brought friends from college to visit last month.  I was concerned that they wouldn't care for our old, non-updated place, but they literally fell in love.  Sure, we sat around talking about fixes that could be done - esp adding a second bathroom, but we were warned we couldn't even think of selling until they had a chance to earn enough to buy it.  The setting is very, very nice and they came during firefly season when one can walk out in the evening and see (literally) thousands of them in the trees and fields.  It looks like Christmas.

It's why we bought it 19 years ago.  We were asked if we wanted to go through the house a second time and I responded, "Why?  We love the setting.  We'll live with the house."

It's worked.

We have our house, large workshop, barn, pastures, a huge lawn (that can double as a pasture for parts of it), a large garden - could be larger if we wanted it to be, our own private campsite in the woods bordering a picturesque creek, and we live on a road that barely sees traffic - just our neighbors and those who hear when the pony foals are born.  Our neighbors are awesome - fully taking care of our place when we travel and we do the same for them.  No money exchanged.  We all help each other if we have needs too - and get together for socializing, etc.

Yet I'm 8 minutes from where I work (at school), less than that to grocery shopping, bank, post office, & fast food if we want it.  It's 20 minutes to larger shopping and restaurant areas and 1-2 hours from "big city" attractions.  When we lived in St Pete, FL, it took me as long (or longer) to get to places due to traffic.

Then our mortgage is low enough that I don't have to work freeing up guilt-free family time.  The fact that I do work part time gives us extra traveling $$.

I'm definitely thankful.

I can also see why others move into our area.  I've always heard it was housing costs and setting, but seeing this thread really gives that meaning.  Some have long commutes though if they don't work locally.  I wouldn't care for that personally.

sounds perfect

• Like 1

I put the stats in realtor.com and got 314 options within a 20 mile radius of Gettysburg, PA.  Some had 2+ baths listed - not sure how they ended up in the list when I said 3+ baths... but here, take a look:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Gettysburg_PA/beds-5/baths-3/acre-1/radius-20/sby-1

Lowest price is 110K.  The highest price on the first page is 249K.  I'm not looking through them all.  There appear to be plenty to choose from.

Well now I want to move to PA.

• Like 2

I was lottery shopping the other day and found this 6 bedroom house that 11k square feet!  :eek:  :svengo: There would have to be a full-time live-in maid or something. I can't imagine. It's gorgeous. And the pictures make me wonder if she homeschooled. 

are those football trophies in the 'classroom'? maybe a seahawk?

believe it or not - there are more elaborate houses in that area. views, water . . .   between medina, clyde hill, hunts point (someone paid $7M for a house on the water, then sold the house itself (land not included) for $600K to someone who would barge it out.  they only wanted the land. it made the local papers), etc.

5 bedrooms

3.5 baths

3000 square feet

On at least 1 acre or land (1-5)

Nice inside, either new or updated.  No gutting involved. 

For $600k you could definitely get the house, but most will be on half an acre at most. We are in town, so there are just not large houses on large lots.

Zillow says there are only five for sale like that, with the acreage, in my metro area (of ~1 million people). Each is about an hour from me.

Edited by whitehawk

250-300K

The land is the only reason I go that high. You could probably find it for 200K, actually, if one wasn't picky about the upgrades (i.e. if you didn't care that the appliances are stainless steel, etc).

Upstate SC

Lovely smaller town and only about 10 minutes from a way too congested road with tons of shopping and other.

Edited by AimeeM

UM wow.

I would love to know where this is.

Rural mid-Michigan.

It is shocking to me to see number boarding or topping a million. I am not certain outside of one super nice medical facility here that has numerous in and out patient options that there is a single anything worth a million dollars here.

We are 45 minutes from a Target and have very little shopping in the county. Dollar Generals, a Walmart, a couple of super markets, that kind of thing.

It is comparable to incomes though. The median is only $40,000 I think. Anyone making $70,000 or more is considered well to do so one would not be able to charge more than a couple hundred thousand for a house. No one would qualify for the mortgage, and since the bubble burst, mortgages are MUCH harder to get here than they used to be.

There is a gorgeous 4 bedroom 2 bath log home with a wonderful porch, nice triple detached garage - pole barn style - on 20 wooded acres about a mile from here that has been for sale for two years. $165,000.00. No matter how many times they have been told they won't get it, they keep listing it for that. At $125,000 someone would definitely bite and especially with the acreage.

That said, there isn't any good employment in the county. Dh actually works for GM out of the Warren Tech Center which is an 85 mile commute one way, but has a work from home arrangement due to working on a global account with associates in Ireland, Scotland, Germany, France, and Brazil so there was no point in making him drive in every day. Otherwise we would not be living here. 30% of the county revenue is from agriculture.

We have been looking at certain parts of Michigan but unfortunately they seem to be the expensive parts (Farmington, Ann Arbor). Stuff by DH's grandma in Saginaw is painfully inexpensive though!

There are 24 homes listed on Redfin in my city that meet your parameters.  Five of them are under a million dollars. The land is the killer on the price, not so much the square footage of the home. Many of the homes on this list that are on an acre of land have nearly double the amount of square footage you requested. We were recently told by a bank appraiser that in some areas, the homes are jumping as much as $10,000 per month.  It's highly unlikely my future grandchildren will be the fourth generation to live here. It's kind of a bummer. I love my city and state.

I'm at my parents' house in Arkansas so I decided to check your specifications with the real estate here.

I found a house that fits almost your exact specifications and sits on 3.34 acres in the Ozark mountains with a gorgeous view for $170,000. It's about 30 minutes from Branson, MO so close to the state line.

Seriously. Real estate is so cheap here.

That big? On an acre of land? You're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of a million, at least. There is exactly one home with those specs for sale on Staten Island right now (according to Zillow) and that's 1.1 million... or about 3.14x the median home price in that neighborhood. (I did the math! That's what it turns out to be!)

Did a Realtor.com search and the lowest was 1.1 million. There were only three. My area used to have acrages with horses a four or five years ago. They can't build houses fast enough here, and the acreages are being subdivided, The lot size was really the factor. The houses with half an acre ranged lower into the 500's, and lot sizes of .25 acre are into the 300 hundreds. All were newish houses, and the half acre and above had wonderful amentites. I could only find one with 3,000 square feet and .5 acre. Most homes were 4,000 up with the majority in the 6,000 square foot range.