Menu

Scout camper "issues"? Need a sanity check.

SKL

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE.

[update:  kid is officially expelled from camp.]

Kids aren't allowed to go to sleep until 11pm?  (9yo on up)

Kids are required to drink large amounts of water whether they can or not?

Kids aren't allowed to wrap themselves up in their sleeping bag and get warm (it's not cold out but she wants to wrap herself up, possibly to hide from bug bites)?

Are these problems enough to send a kid home from camp?

They say they are afraid she is going to get dehydrated and need to go to the hospital in the night.

(They also say she didn't eat any dinner.  She was feeling queasy after lunch and after all the water they kept making her drink.  It's one meal.)

They say they want her to have a good experience, but it sounds like they want to kick her out over the above.

It would be past 10pm if I drove down there to get her tonight.  I suggest just letting her go to sleep, with a water bottle in case she feels thirsty.  She will probably feel fine in the morning.  Am I crazy?

Is it common to send kids home from camp mid-week over this kind of thing?

Edited by SKL

Girl Scout camp?

My dd hated girl scout camp. Hated it. So many insane rules. The rule that was the big problem was you couldn't go to the toilet until the counselor have you a partner to go with you. My dd wet her pants twice asking to go and waiting and asking again. She was 8 at the time. You'd think the counselor we wouldn't have made her wait so long the second time. It was months before dd told me what happened. She wanted to go again, but not with scouts.

Ok... How old is the kid? Did you talk to her or the staff? Is she normally a little quirky or very literal?

As a Scout leader (dudes) I would have handled it differently.

With the water, I have encouraged kids to drink every hour. More of a "take a drink..it's hot...even if you don't think you need it you might...not a ton...". I'm in the South where 100+ and humid at camp isn't unexpected. I do know kids who would make themselves sick by being very literal and only hearing "you must drink...now...". Could that be a issue for your camper?

Dinner... I wouldn't monitor any kid's food unless it was already a problem. Maybe there's more there. Most kids eat something, even if it's bread and dessert. So, if someone noticed, unless the camper was complaining, it might be an issue.

Bed time... I'd guess activities until 1030 then clean up time. yes, it's unrealistic for one kid to miss anything to go to bed early. With scouts, each kid alone needs two leaders, so "I'm tired I want to go to bed" would be meet with "sorry, we stay as a group".

Who did you speak with? Front line guys or the camp director? They sound like they should have a better handle on the kid's needs and quirkiness.

What's your mom gut say??

• Like 4

That is a badly run camp.

Kids should be allowed to go to bed when they want. If that means a leader has to leave the activity to go back to the campsite, well, that's what you signed up for. 

Kids should be encouraged to drink water, but forcing people to drink when they already have is completely out of line. Insisting on regular cups of water should happen during summer months, but one at a time, yeah? Eating is worth worrying about. Kids who don't eat are usually crying for their mothers by dusk.

Kids should not be allowed to wrap themselves in sleeping bags to sit by the fire. This is why we were supposed to pack woollen blankets.

I feel like I am coming from a different planet.  Never in my kids' lives have I monitored their water intake or how warm or cool they want to be.  If you're tired and your day's work is done, go to sleep.

They seemed defensive when I mentioned she said she saw bugs on the ceiling and was worried they would bite her in the night.  (She reacts to bug bites more than average.)  They insisted there are no bugs in the cabin.  (I don't see my kid lying about that, but whatever.  Probably they didn't see them.)  Next thing the nurse tells me she has a bug bite on her hand and they have put some medicine on it.  A ha, so there are bugs.  So she simply doesn't want to be bitten again.  Understandable?

Maybe they got the impression that I was complaining, when I was just explaining why my kid was nervous.  I'm not complaining at all.  I've camped in lots worse situations and so has my kid.  I just want the kid to last until pickup time.  I'm supposed to be working, and she's supposed to be doing badge work and horse riding and stuff.

Edited by SKL

Ok... How old is the kid? Did you talk to her or the staff? Is she normally a little quirky or very literal?

With the water, I have encouraged kids to drink every hour. More of a "take a drink..it's hot...even if you don't think you need it you might...not a ton...". I'm in the South where 100+ and humid at camp isn't unexpected. I do know kids who would make themselves sick by being very literal and only hearing "you must drink...now...". Could that be a issue for your camper?

Dinner... I wouldn't monitor any kid's food unless it was already a problem. Maybe there's more there. Most kids eat something, even if it's bread and dessert. So, if someone noticed, unless the camper was complaining, it might be an issue.

Bed time... I'd guess activities until 1030 then clean up time. yes, it's unrealistic for one kid to miss anything to go to bed early. With scouts, each kid alone needs two leaders, so "I'm tired I want to go to bed" would be meet with "sorry, we stay as a group".

Who did you speak with? Front line guys or the camp director? They sound like they should have a better handle on the kid's needs and quirkiness.

My kids are 9.

I talked to the nurse, my kid, and one of the women in her cabin.

My kid is not normally a complainer.  She doesn't love being hot all day, and she might have been having a mild reaction to something she ate.  I think she got past that though.  (They called me earlier about that stuff.)

When I first talked to my kid at about 4-5pm, she told me she she was drinking a lot of water and it wasn't agreeing with her.  Then the nurse said they were asking the kids to drink a full bottle of water during each of four one-hour "sessions" (badge work), plus a glass of water at each meal.  At the time I figured my kid had eaten something that didn't agree with her, and adding water on top of that was not comfy.  But as far as I know she was drinking it as asked.  I guess they kept asking her to drink more after dinner, and she was only taking a sip now and then, which was not satisfying them.

At 8pm the nurse and cabin lady called me specifically because they were concerned over my kid not wanting to drink more, not having eaten (though I did not talk to the kid to verify that), and about her rolling up in her sleeping bag in her bunk.  (No fire anywhere.)  The cabin lady told me the cabin was cool at night.  But she was concerned that my kid was going to make herself hot and get dehydrated because of the sleeping bag and water thing. They made her get out of bed and go back to the nurse's cabin and sit in the air conditioning and try to drink more, and they called me.  They seemed disturbed that I didn't share their concerns.  They seemed unwilling to deal with this problem child any longer.

My mom gut says she can go to sleep and feel better in the morning.  I don't understand the angst.

Edited by SKL

Did they say you have to come get her?

They didn't outright say that, but the cabin lady was like, "if this were my child, I would be very worried that she is not healthy right now."  So in other words a good mom would come and get her ....

The nurse then mentioned her bug bite and suggested some Benadryl, which would help her sleep as well as soothe the bug bite.  I agreed.  Give her the Benadryl, tell her to go to the bathroom (considering all that water intake) and let her sleep.  The nurse sounded doubtful, but she said, "OK, I'll call you later if I need to."  I said, I hope you don't.  :P

That was about 2 hours ago, so hopefully all is well.

My kids are 9.

I talked to the nurse, my kid, and one of the women in her cabin.

My kid is not normally a complainer. She doesn't love being hot all day, and she might have been having a mild reaction to something she ate. I think she got past that though. (They called me earlier about that stuff.)

When I first talked to my kid at about 4-5pm, she told me she she was drinking a lot of water and it wasn't agreeing with her. Then the nurse said they were asking the kids to drink a full bottle of water during each of four one-hour "sessions" (badge work), plus a glass of water at each meal. At the time I figured my kid had eaten something that didn't agree with her, and adding water on top of that was not comfy. But as far as I know she was drinking it as asked. I guess they kept asking her to drink more after dinner, and she was only taking a sip now and then, which was not satisfying them.

At 8pm the nurse and cabin lady called me specifically because they were concerned over my kid not wanting to drink more, not having eaten (though I did not talk to the kid to verify that), and about her rolling up in her sleeping bag in her bunk. (No fire anywhere.) The cabin lady told me the cabin was cool at night. But she was concerned that my kid was going to make herself hot and get dehydrated because of the sleeping bag and water thing. They made her get out of bed and go back to the nurse's cabin and sit in the air conditioning and try to drink more, and they called me. They seemed disturbed that I didn't share their concerns. They seemed unwilling to deal with this problem child any longer.

My mom gut says she can go to sleep and feel better in the morning. I don't understand the angst.

I think I'd get her. It sounds not well run. I get the pushing water, but my concern would be it is too much and she's making herself sick. It can happen. She's 9. I'm all for tough (I'm former military and live in the "suck it up buttercup" camp) but at 9 I'd bring her home.

• Like 1

And here I thought only horrid behavior or documentable illness (fever/rash) would get my kids sent home from camp.  Obviously this is all very new to me.  :p

The camp is a 1.5 hour drive one-way, so going to get my kid is not a simple matter.  It's not like I can pick her up at night and drop her off the next morning, which would be a great idea if I lived closer.  Her sister is also there and doing fine, so bringing one kid home would mean driving 3+ hours, her sitting twiddling while I work for the rest of the week, and then driving back down for the other one on Friday.  Plus I invested a lot into this camp and I will be really bummed if my kid misses half of the benefits.

I may end up picking her up tomorrow anyway, if she doesn't find a friend or something.  Sounds like the cabin lady doesn't want her around, which may make my kid all the more uncomfortable.  Ugh, this is so not what I had in mind ....

Edited by SKL

My daughter does Girl Scout camp and they actively do everything they can to keep all girls there. But yes, they stay up late and no, a counselor can't go alone back to camp for one scout. Two leaders to a group/scout. Period. Otoh, they'd encourage drinking but not forcing. That seems like a lot of water. That alone could be making her ill. I drink too much and I'm sick to my stomach. And the girls can sleep any which way as long as they are on their bunk, alone. Either there is an underlying something that maybe they've picked up on but don't have words for or the counsellors are just odd. I hope she sleeps through the night and all is well in the morn.

Yeah, wasn't there a study or statement recently that debunked the "drink 8 glasses even if you aren't thirsty" recommendation?  They said that actually, you can drink when you're thirsty and that's just fine.  I had always wondered how the human race didn't die out long ago, considering there's no way everyone had access to 64 ounces of clean drinking water every day of their lives.  :P

• Like 4

I'm guessing the kids were allowed in the cabin after dinner, since that's where my kid was before they dragged her into the nurse's office at 8pm.  My other kid had gone on a hike which was expected to end at 11pm.  I am assuming they were given the choice to stay in the cabin or go on the hike.

One hopes the camp has some plan for how to deal with kids who need to rest at any given time.  It seems that would be a rather common occurrence.

• Like 1

Three thoughts: 

1. If she's drinking that much, maybe she's not actually hungry during meals and therefore not eating.

2. If she's not used to staying up late, maybe her internal clock is out of whack, leading to her not being hungry at expected times.

3. My 9 year old would focus on her bug-bitten hand and then everything would revolve around that bite and she'd get mopey and homesick, etc. Could she just be homesick? Could your daughter be sad enough to not eat during meals? 

At our house no fever, no pains means my kid would be there till Friday. Hope she enjoys the last few days of camp!

I'm guessing the kids were allowed in the cabin after dinner, since that's where my kid was before they dragged her into the nurse's office at 8pm.  My other kid had gone on a hike which was expected to end at 11pm.  I am assuming they were given the choice to stay in the cabin or go on the hike.

One hopes the camp has some plan for how to deal with kids who need to rest at any given time.  It seems that would be a rather common occurrence.

At least when I went to camp we were given a bit of time for afternoon rest but we did it together.  Everything was together.  We returned to our cabins at the end of the day all at the same time, following the camp schedule.  We couldn't just decide to return to our cabin whenever we were tired.  That wasn't even an option.  We stayed with our cabin mates.

• Like 4

Three thoughts: 

1. If she's drinking that much, maybe she's not actually hungry during meals and therefore not eating.

2. If she's not used to staying up late, maybe her internal clock is out of whack, leading to her not being hungry at expected times.

3. My 9 year old would focus on her bug-bitten hand and then everything would revolve around that bite and she'd get mopey and homesick, etc. Could she just be homesick? Could your daughter be sad enough to not eat during meals? 

At our house no fever, no pains means my kid would be there till Friday. Hope she enjoys the last few days of camp!

Yeah, there is apparently some incompatibility between the camp requirements and my kid's biology.

She probably is homesick.  But I think she's old enough to fight through it.  However, if the camp people keep acting like she needs to go home, that's probably going to influence her.

If she's being forced to drink water and is therefore too full to eat, she's probably not getting the salt she needs to deal with all that water. In other words, I'd be concerned that these policies could actually be dangerous.

Add sleep deprivation that was upsetting the child (it would be different if she were overtired but loving every minute), silly denial of the presence of bugs at summer camp (on the part of the staff), and the gut feeling that dd is not liked by the adults who are in charge of her...I'd be on my way. Sorry. :(

• Like 10

They didn't outright say that, but the cabin lady was like, "if this were my child, I would be very worried that she is not healthy right now." So in other words a good mom would come and get her.

Well in the olden days, cabin lady would just be a scout mom. But now adays she could easily be there because she is a helicopter crazy mom who could not send her kid off alone. So take the 'good mom' bit with a grain of salt.

Probably the salt your kid probably needs...

As for the water bottles, I would guess they are handing out the smaller 8 or 10 ounce size. Adult sized ones would seem like a lot of wasted water and expense for that age group.

That camp sounds insane.  I went to camp as a kid and my kids go to several camps.  I've never heard of activities until 10:30-11:00 unless it was some one-time special nightime event.  That alone would be enough.  Combine it with the water-pushing and I'm way uncomfortable.  I'd get her if I were you.  But not doing so doesn't mean "bad mom".  Especially since I would be getting her for the complete opposite reason that they are suggesting.  Your DD isn't the problem, it's the camp.

• Like 4

Are your girls in the same cabin?  This is ridiculous!  11 is late, but no, I would expect everyone to do everything at the same time.  There isn't a lot of space for differing rest needs at camp.  Most of the time, it's fine, though, but 10 is more common than 11 for that age. 

That's a LOT of water.  But calling you because she didn't eat her dinner???  Really???  And of course there are bugs!  Who cares if she wraps herself up in her sleeping bag?? Sheesh!  I'd be pissed, but unless she says she's miserable and wants to come home, I would not be going and getting her.  I probably wouldn't send them there next year, though. 

• Like 1

It does sound like the people at the camp are overreacting and probably making your child more stressed.   And that really is a LOT of water.  I would be miserable if I had to drink that much water.  I agree with some previous posts, I wouldn't be especially worried about what the camp is worried about.  I would be concerned about the paranoia of the people running the camp.  Hopefully, she can get some rest, they will give her a chance to adjust to the environment without hovering over her and she will have a good week.

The water drinking and 11pm bedtimes (a hike until 11 with 9 year olds?) sound crazy.

My friend's daughter brought home bed bugs and the stomach flu from Girl Scout camp. So maybe travel with large trash bags when you do go get them...

• Like 2

I am a Girl Scout leader.

Lots of the adults affiliated with running Girl Scout camps and activities make me want to kill them. This camp would annoy me greatly.

If your daughter is not begging to come home I would leave her and encourage her to try to pull out of her discomfort. If she is begging to come home I would be there in a heartbeat. It sounds like they are not being flexible to meet her needs.

• Like 10

I was a girl scout camp counselor and most of the rules/behaviors don't surprise me.

the bed time.... waiting until 11pm for 2 reasons I can think of- 1. activities always go long and no a camper can not go to bed by themselves, everyone sticks together.  Especially at a big camp where you have 4 counselors per 32-36 campers, it's about safety and is non-negotiable.  2. Waiting until 11pm means it's finally cooled off enough to sleep.  What we did to help for the earlier birds was have a quiet time, where they could go to bed at 10-ish while others continued to get ready for bed and wind down, no one was technically alone in a tent, girls were in and out constantly.

The water thing.... again it's hot. Plus one counselor may be thinking they're the only water enforcer while they are all doing it.  Next year teach her how to look like she's drinking a lot but only taking a swallow.

As for the wrapping up, IMO that's micro-managing in the extreme and is outside their purview. We encouraged the girls to bring a sheet for hot nights so they could cover up but not over heat, the mosquitoes are vicious. In the end though it was their choice.  Not sure what the tent situation is at your camp but mine was platforms with open air tents.... no one went without something to cover up with.

My question would be, does she want to come home? She may have indicated that to them and they're trying to keep her from feeling bad or getting in trouble with parents.... you'd be surprised at how many parents get irate at their kids who are homesick.

*For me, I'd probably be ripping them up one side and down the other then showing up in the middle of the night to get my kid, but I'm not the most calm of mothers. I know how tough GS camp can be as an adult, we tried to make it fun, but it was pretty miserable for the kids too.  I could never figure out why they came back year after year.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 4

Makes me feel lucky we never bothered with those kinds of camps.

The wrapping yourself in your blankets / sleeping bag bit...I am shaking my head. If she gets really hot at night she'll kick it aside. We live in an area where some night time temps are still in the eighties. Nobody here ever overheated by having a blanket - if they want it.

• Like 2

All this. I'm surprised they called.

That is a badly run camp.

Kids should be allowed to go to bed when they want. If that means a leader has to leave the activity to go back to the campsite, well, that's what you signed up for. 

Kids should be encouraged to drink water, but forcing people to drink when they already have is completely out of line. Insisting on regular cups of water should happen during summer months, but one at a time, yeah? Eating is worth worrying about. Kids who don't eat are usually crying for their mothers by dusk.

Kids should not be allowed to wrap themselves in sleeping bags to sit by the fire. This is why we were supposed to pack woollen blankets.

Not really.  

First of all, it sounds like the GS have the same rule as BS, which is TWO DEEP leadership.  Which means that if one child wants to go back to camp, TWO adults would need to go back with the child.  That may very well be more than they can spare.  Our troop has 2-3 leaders for 20+ boys each camp.

And the buddy system for bathrooms is another layer of protection against molestation or suspicions of that.

I would say that the child signed up for the camp and signed up to participate in the camp as it is run, barring any illness.  

The point of scout camp is to attend merit badge classes and participate in activities, if a child isn't interested in those things, they really should sign up for another came or stay home.

In this case, it sounds like they required her to drink MORE water than was necessary and she started feeling queasy.  I get it.  I don't feel well when I drink too much water.   The water requirement is excessive.

Our boys would not be sent home in this case, but they may call me to voice concern, and I may have sent DH up (registered leader) for a day or two to help out AND to make sure my kids was ok.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 3

It's being run idiotically, fully in the liability/bureaucracy mode.  This is why my husband only stayed as a leader for a year - it was, he said, no fun for anyone, so what was the point?

Mind you, it's parent driven to a large extent, if parents get upset that Susan or David was having a sleep alone in the cabin, the camps will respond. 

I'd say, bring her home if she isn't having fun.  And find a better camp for next year. 

My son is on his second week long Boy Scout Camp. I see some similarities in rules- they were encouraged to drink- even if they weren't thirsty at his first camp b/c they were outside 24/7 and the heat index was over 100 the whole week. No, one kid wouldn't go to bed early, although from the way they talked I don't think they stayed up that late. 

However, I'm fairly certain no one was monitoring cover usage. I didn't hear anything about eating, from my experience it wouldn't be mentioned unless it was prolonged/extreme, missing many meals OR if the kid was complaining a lot about being hungry. On the water although they were encouraged to drink it wasn't a certain amount and not at night too. 

It does sound like there is definitely some micromanaging, how much is hard to say. It is not easy when you are trying to keep an eye out for so many kids. I don't generally police my kids food and drink. BUT I sure kept an eye out for it when we were walking in the desert and I would doubly do so at an active camp were the temps are high, it is a different situation than at home, that part isn't comparable. 

I'd think either your one kid isn't coping too well so perhaps complaining a lot and bringing attention to herself- causing them to scrutinize her choices more OR they are just nit-picky. I've been a leader so I can see how things might get twisted from the parent's or the leader's POV.

For Boy Scout camp the boys are at least 11 before they are gone a whole week, which I think generally makes a lot easier, when the kids are older it is less to worry about. We have church camp and you can go to it age 10, my daughter will be eligible next year but I'm not sure if I'll send her as I don't know if it would be a good fit for her. My son is thriving at camp and loving every minute, he is very easy going and not bothered by much, not every kid is suited for camp and certainly the ages they are ready for it differs. 

• Like 1

I think the camp sounds weird. My kids have been going to summer camp since they were six, and it's nothing like what you have described.

That said, if she's unhappy or homesick and wants to come home, I'd bring her home. I've always told my kids I will come get them if they are uncomfortable in a situation. and if the staff is going to force her to drink too much water and harp on her for everything, that's not a healthy or safe environment.

• Like 4

Well, it's official.  My kid has been kicked out for not eating and drinking as much as they think she should.  They say she's taking up too many resources.  I'm to please come get her NOW, they can't wait until the work day is over.

They said come and get both girls.  I reacted a bit strongly to that:  "BOTH girls, WHY?!"  (I've heard not one word about my other kid other than she's doing the activties.)  Then they said, OK, if the other one is willing to stay, she can.

Scouts has been an education for me, that's for sure.  So this week I learned something new.  I'm truly shocked that my kid's drinking, eating, and sleeping style have gotten her expelled from a supposedly age-appropriate activity.  Just shows how ignorant I am, I guess.

My kids are pretty tough cookies, I might add.  They have been around the world, literally.  They've had plenty of late nights and hot, rigorous days.  They've been away from me a number of nights, as many as 10 consecutive.  I'm pretty surprised is all I can say.

I'd be arguing for a refund for the days missed. Because these people are insane.

I'm sure they won't refund the camp fees, but I would like a refund of the horse riding add-on, which my kid did not get to do.  :/

I have a few choice words for them, but I don't want to say anything that will ruin my other kid's week.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to hear your dd's perspective on all this.  

I do have to wonder what the adults aren't saying.  Because it does sound so ridiculous.  Is this a passive aggressive thing where they tell you stuff but what they really mean is something else?  Or are they really just nuts?  Inquiring minds want to know.

And ((hugs)) what a pain in the neck.  

• Like 6

For Boy Scout camp the boys are at least 11 before they are gone a whole week, which I think generally makes a lot easier, when the kids are older it is less to worry about. 

The age might make difference, although some boys can go to scout camp as early as 10 1/2 if they cross over early.

My boys have never been micromanaged at summer scout camp like the OP described .  They do not stay together for activities -- each boy has his own activity schedule, and there is no way they could buddy-up going between activities.  In their off time, if they do something on their own, like take a hike, they have do have to have a buddy along, but an adult is not required.  They have a snack bar and different activities they can choose to do in the evening if they want to, but they are not required to.  Even during the day some of the boys have an unfilled activity slot, when they may choose to just hang around their campsite.  We do have two adults who generally hang out at the campsite most of the day, so kids can come and go as they please, and at the campsite we are two deep. However, there are always a couple of hours of free time in the evening, and if a kid wanted to go to bed an hour before everyone else,  they would be able to do so.

I'm sure they won't refund the camp fees, but I would like a refund of the horse riding add-on, which my kid did not get to do.  :/

I have a few choice words for them, but I don't want to say anything that will ruin my other kid's week.

I'd make them put in writing that THEY requested you to remove your dd, despite the fact that she was fine in your opinion. Pretty sure you'll need that to avoid a he said she said over the horse riding bit. And then take that to whoever runs the camp to make a very large complaint and ask for a full refund since your dd definitely did not have the promised camp experience due to the CAMP's workers. I also find it very odd they wanted you to pick up both your girls even though the other was fine. 

Am I the only one wondering if this has happened to more kids? I could totally see counselors saying we've got too many kids so let's make up a reason to have parents come get some. Or just we don't want to work as hard. I get it - running herd on that many kids is hard work. I've run merit badge U for BSA and about halfway through the day I'm always like can these kids just go home. I can't imagine a week of it!

This just confirms my decision to not let my dd attend camp. She would have serious issues with dumb policies like these. 

• Like 5

What kinds of people are running that camp?  I've been a camper at both Scout & church camps.  I've been a counselor at both Scout and Church camps.  My kids have been to camps.  I've never heard of anything like you're experiencing!

I'm with alisoncooks on this - something else must be going on.  A personality clash between your child and the camp leadership, perhaps?  Because none of what they claim your dd did would ever make me think "Send this kid home!!"

Edited by OhanaBee
  • Like 3

Document everything and take this to the head of the camp.  I agree, is this truly a Girl Scout run camp?  If so, take it up with higher ups (after you talk with your children and get some feedback).

Also, I would see if you can talk privately with your daughter that is staying when you go pick up your other child.  Find out how she is handling things and if everything is ok..  Don't just leave her there without talking to her privately.

• Like 12

Well, it's official. My kid has been kicked out for not eating and drinking as much as they think she should. They say she's taking up too many resources. I'm to please come get her NOW, they can't wait until the work day is over.

They said come and get both girls. I reacted a bit strongly to that: "BOTH girls, WHY?!" (I've heard not one word about my other kid other than she's doing the activties.) Then they said, OK, if the other one is willing to stay, she can.

Scouts has been an education for me, that's for sure. So this week I learned something new. I'm truly shocked that my kid's drinking, eating, and sleeping style have gotten her expelled from a supposedly age-appropriate activity. Just shows how ignorant I am, I guess.

My kids are pretty tough cookies, I might add. They have been around the world, literally. They've had plenty of late nights and hot, rigorous days. They've been away from me a number of nights, as many as 10 consecutive. I'm pretty surprised is all I can say.

That is insane. I'm sorry.

I'm with you and all that sounds way over the top.  The forcing to drink a certain amount of water is not healthy.  I can see reminding kids to drink or having them take swallows.  If someone tried to force my kid to drink a full bottle over and over, I would be angry.  That would make me sick as well!

• Like 4

I wouldn't want my other child to stay at that camp. When I get a bad feeling about a place, I don't leave that place with my children. I would take my children back and then sue them in small claims court. 

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. I think the camp sounds insane and I hope they get lots of complaints. Do you know anyone else that sent their child there? Have they told you anything?

• Like 2