Menu

Amazon Prime Day Deals

Pippen

After last year's launching of Prime Day/Black Friday in July turned out to be a huge PR flop, I was surprised to see that Amazon was giving it another go. Last night my kids and I were reading some of the #PrimeDayFail tweets--still totally hilarious a year later.

Now that they've set the bar low--think that Rubbermaid set you've always dreamed of having--it will be interesting to see what Amazon does with it this year. I thought I'd start this thread for a place we can alert others of current deals we find. I believe this is for Prime members only, but free 30 day trial memberships are available. 

July 12 is the eagerly anticipated date,  :001_rolleyes:  but they have been doing some advance promotional sales. The Harry Potter films are all $4.99 for purchase for Prime members today. Their math is a little funky since it's showing the regular purchase price is $12.99, but it seems like a decent price for streaming. 

Anyone else finding any worthwhile deals?

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 4

Oh, I hope they put the Sketchers Reggae sandals on sale again for $15.  I will buy up a few.  I bought ONE PAIR last year because I wasn't sure if I would like them.  I have almost worn them out I like them so much!

• Like 1

One year ago, I had a lot of hope that Amazon would put the TI Graphing Calculator I needed to buy for DD on sale at a low price, on Prime Day. I signed up for a Free 30 day Prime membership. On Prime Day, I checked, many times, but they didn't have a special price on that item, when I looked on Prime Day. A week or 10 days later, they had a special price, I think it was only for Prime members, and I bought the calculator.  I also bought the latest edition of the Unofficial book for Walt Disney World and they shipped that by Prime. Possibly another item was also shipped by Prime.

A week or so ago, to my astonishment, the Corsair SSD I was going to buy from Amazon, for my Mobile Workstation,  went from $55 to $83 and only Prime members could buy it at that price.  I bought it from someone on eBay for $63.

My belief about Prime Day now is that if one is very lucky, the item they want to buy will be available at a special price on Prime Day, but if not, it may be available at a special price, some other day.

I'm not sure if one can sign up for a Free 30 day Prime membership more than once.  I cancelled mine last year, before the 30 days ended. 

If they do a good sale on Kindles, I might bite.

They did last year. I attempted to buy one, but it was a huge hassle. It wouldn't show the Prime price when I put it in my cart, so I did an online chat with customer service. He couldn't figure out why it was doing that, but offered to credit me the difference. So I placed the order. Then it showed the Kindle wouldn't arrive until a month or two later. Then they failed to credit me the difference in price, so I had to deal with another customer service rep to get that sorted out. Not a great Prime Day experience.

Erica in OR

And in case you're trying to check prices, on camelcamelcamel.com you can paste in an Amazon URL and get the price history for an item (you can also set up price tracking alerts).  It doesn't seem to include lightning deals, though.  Beware of any item that shows a month or so of price history - often there's another slightly different listing for the same thing, which'll reveal that the lightning price is really only saving you a buck or two.

Edit: Just noticed that if you scroll far enough ahead in the Lightning Deals list (54 pages for me!) you can see some of what they're offering tomorrow.  Strollers, car seats, Xbox One bundle, refurbished MacBook Pro, Melissa & Doug toys, etc.

Edited by monstermama
  • Like 1

So far it's definitely been a fail for me.Literally. Both items I've tried to add to my cart have resulted in an error message stating "Adding to cart failed. Retrying..." :rolleyes:

Keep trying! I just snagged an instant pot, but it took me several times to get it. 

SaveSave

• Like 1

Keep trying! I just snagged an instant pot, but it took me several times to get it. 

SaveSave

Whoa...I just got a "Our website is currently unavailable while we make some improvements to our service" message. Never saw that one before on Amazon.

Kept trying and eventually it added the insta-pot. Limit of one. 

If they do a good sale on Kindles, I might bite.

They are on sale - I snagged a Paperwhite for $89 - 25% off.  You have to click on the individual item to see the deal price. 

Edited by TechWife

I just got a polaroid zip, something that's been on my wish list for over six months. :) I never score deals on Black Friday, Prime Day, Daily Deals, anything like that. They usually don't have what I want and when they do, it gets bought in like ten seconds before I get a chance to snag it. So I'm excited! :)

It did take a while to add to my cart but worked eventually. :)

I am glad for this thread.   I had been incredibly unimpressed last year.   But, I've been pondering getting a replacement e-reader.   The price/features combination wasn't good enough, and I'd decided to wait until Black Friday to see what new e-reader might be released then.   But, for $30 off a Kindle, it was worthwhile.   

I'd also been eyeing the extreme snap circuit since DD was too young.  I'd seen it for $100, so I wasn't going to pay more.  It is $100 now.  

So, I am happy.  

• Like 1

I looked earlier & didn't see anything except the "Get 3 audiobooks for free + $10 to spend on Amazon" Audible deal. Only for people who aren't already Audible members, so BOO HISS. (I still have two credits ($1.95 each) sitting in my Audible account.)

But, for those of you who didn't already jump onto the Audible deal posted previously, it might be a good bet.

I got a watch band for DH's I-watch and the educational set of snap circuits. The snap circuits I am going to have to hide from DH as much as DS. DS birthday isn't till September. 

Still waiting on the deals for a couple of other things. YDS birthday is on Monday. We got him a baseball bat and helmet but want to get him something more. Grandma is also looking for ideas. There is some big sets of train tracks coming up that might be good for him. I am also waiting on the microscope slide set. Got a microscope on Freecycle a few years ago and have yet to use it. 

Does anyone use the Amazon Fire TV stick?  I have a slew of videos from Amazon planned to use for school this year, and I'm wondering if its worth the money to buy the TV Stick so we don't have to huddle around my computer screen...

We have it and love it. We used to use Roku, but now use that. You can stream hulu, netflix, amazon, etc to it, plus the PBS app, etc. And you can download an app to your phone to make your phone an extra remote, and use voice to search. Or there is a remote that is voice activated, but we don't have that. 

• Like 2

I just ordered an a Instant Pot for my parents, along with a cookbook. I hope they like it as much as I like mine.

I didn't see anything else on the sales that interested me, although I did pick up some books on my wish list so I could use the Amazon rewards card deal of $30 off any order of $150.

I need to learn how to use this website! :)

I just don't know anything about Raspberry Pi, but think it would be something my oldest would be interested in. 

I added a second link that suggests that it's not a good deal. I don't know what I'm talking about though. :smash:

I just ordered an a Instant Pot for my parents, along with a cookbook. I hope they like it as much as I like mine.

I didn't see anything else on the sales that interested me, although I did pick up some books on my wish list so I could use the Amazon rewards card deal of $30 off any order of $150.

Make sure you walk them through it. I got one for my mom 2 years ago for Christmas and she was afraid to use the thing for a year! Turns out she had a regular pressure cooker explode on her (not like a bomb but it burst out a bit). Now she loves her instant pot!

So I went to but a lightening deal for 19.99 and accidentally used the wrong payment method. So I cancelled the order and went to reorder it but I had to wait for my 15 minute timer on the deal to run out. When it ran out the new lightening deal price was $17.50. I've never seen prices change like that during a deal

Does anyone use the Amazon Fire TV stick?  I have a slew of videos from Amazon planned to use for school this year, and I'm wondering if its worth the money to buy the TV Stick so we don't have to huddle around my computer screen...

We use ours all the time to stream Amazon movies and Netflix.

Pampers are 35% off subscribe and sale prices. So I picked up a giant box of swaddlers, cruisers, and baby dry for a little over $20 each. That's as good as diaper prices get. I'll also probably be picking up an Instapot. I had hoped they were doing a deal on them today so I waited to get it until now. I'm trying to wait and see if I can make use of the $30 off $150 with my Amazon Visa, but I'm not there yet.

Edited by Meagan S

Does anyone use the Amazon Fire TV stick? I have a slew of videos from Amazon planned to use for school this year, and I'm wondering if its worth the money to buy the TV Stick so we don't have to huddle around my computer screen...

I love the Fire Stick! I use it for almost everything. Now I can even use it for Great Courses Plus, which we used to have to hook up a computer for. We watch it so much more now that it is on the TV!

I got the biology slides.  I needed to buy them anyways so that was a good deal.  I'm not sure I understand how this works.  So many things on sale but it seems hard to search or like I am missing some details as to what is actually on sale. ???  I'm confused.  But that is okay.  I didn't need to spend money today anyway :)