Menu

Don't shoot me, but why, again, was Prince so great?

38carrots

I listened to some of his songs on youtube, and they do absolutely nothing to me. But I don't like that type of music in general. But seriously, why is he so great?

The only one I kind of liked was "My guitar gently weeps" only to find out it the Beatles.

• Like 6

I might be unusual, but I still think Prince's best songs were Little Red Corvette and 1999.  I didn't really love any of the later ones.

I hear a lot of people saying he did a lot of good for others.  But he kept a low profile - so low that I am unaware of much that he ever did besides sing and act.

At least I don't know anything bad about him, which I can't say about every entertainer.

No offense - I really like Prince.  I always found him really attractive as well as talented.

• Like 8

I listened to some of his songs on youtube, and they do absolutely nothing to me. But I don't like that type of music in general. But seriously, why is he so great?

The only one I kind of liked was "My guitar gently weeps" only to find out it the Beatles.

I agree--Dh and I were laughing that his part in "As My Guitar. ." And Bruce Springsteens "Puple Rain" tribute the other night were the only Prince we've ever liked.

I'm glad there is music for all of us.

(Although if I could ween dh off if Van Hslen life would be better--at least, though, I appreciate van Halen's genius, if not any of his songs.)

He wrote songs that other artists used, to great acclaim, like Manic Monday and Nothing Compares 2 U. He was also an extremely talented musician; watch his guitar solos on youtube. I think he has faded a bit from pop culture because of his feud with the music industry and his general dislike of current music pricing practices. 

• Like 14

He gave so much to people, organizations, charities.  His religion did not allow him to take any credit and it was all kept anonymous - although now things are coming to light since his passing.  

Please google and learn about these things - you may learn to like him more.  

• Like 5

He wrote songs that other artists used, to great acclaim, like Manic Monday and Nothing Compares 2 U. He was also an extremely talented musician; watch his guitar solos on youtube. I think he has faded a bit from pop culture because of his feud with the music industry and his general dislike of current music pricing practices.

I think Sheena Easton sung several songs Prince wrote as well.

• Like 3

It was originally written for Appolonia 6. Sounds more Princely, but not strong vocally.

I think with Manic Monday and Nothing Compares 2 U, when you strip away much of the instrumentation in the originals, the song itself really shines. 

• Like 3

What others said. I'm not a huge Prince fan - though I like most of the hit songs that come to mind for most people. I think such a prolific, and long-running career is something few have, and should be recognized as special. He also crossed a lot of boundaries musically and racially that few have crossed. The humanitarian stuff is coming to light. A lot of quiet acts, and some straight up giving individuals money through surrogates - example, when Trayvon Martin's family (the teen killed by in Florida) had no money for legal representation, Prince quietly fronted the money because he thought every parent should have the ability to get answers in the legal system. He thought they deserved at least that much. Lots of giving in that way, too, as well as traditional philanthropy. People seem to have nothing but praise for his quiet humanitarian acts -- the kind of thing one probably should do when one has so much.  

• Like 12

I'm glad you asked the question. I wondered, too, and thought he was just another musician from the 80's. (And I didn't think he was such a great one at that.) Yes, I listened to his songs in the 80's while I was in my teens. Glad to know he did so much other stuff.

As others have said, creative genius. He was not afraid to be himself, a little weird, a little purple. As a child of the 80s, I found the endearing, Bowie had the same appeal. He seemed to enjoy being a musician and not a "rock star." He played the superbowl show in pouring rain, when probably no one but the fans would have cared if he cancelled. This video explains some of that. I think we should be appreciative when people live up to their potential in their giftings and talents, Prince certainly did. 

• Like 21

He was incredibly talented.  His music was the music of my youth.  I do feel like his genre could not be boxed in.  He was an original artist.   My childhood home is just a few miles from his Paisley Park recording studio.  I've done some cathartic Prince sight seeing the past days. 

What has surprised me as someone local to Minneapolis is the number of people who've come forward who said they've done non-profit work that he was responsible for.  Just today on my FB feed, a local music teacher said she was paid to do therapeutic music programming for women and children in emergency shelters.  On his dime, but he insisted on anonymity.  So she just found this out.  She always thought it was a corporate grant or something like that.  Class act. 

• Like 16

He forged a lot of new ground in music. My favorite Prince song is Kiss, which in some ways has a 70s funk sound, but turned on it's head and stripped of the heavy bass, and with rock elements added, and it just evolved into a new sound. He did stuff like that a lot.

Also, when Eric Clapton identifies someone as a guitar genius, I think that person should be automatically acknowledged as such by everyone else too. Because Eric Clapton, you know?

• Like 12

Were you able to find any songs on YouTube? I ask because Prince notoriously tried to keep all his material off YouTube, even suing people over it. So there's a lot of messy live clips and low quality bootleggy type uploads. Maybe it changed in the days since he died now...

Anyway it's ok to not like someone's music. I think a lot of people think of Prince as an 80's novelty or one hit wonder but he really was more than that to a lot of people.

Some of his songs are so loveable and iconic. And his demeanor was just so unique. He was not known for being nice or easy going but that was part of his appeal too.

• Like 4

When someone says Prince, my first thought after Purple Rain is Darling Nikki. My brother listened to that all the freakin time when I was a teen. Yeh...our parents didn't dictate much what we listened to.

OP,  I totally understand the question.   I was even born in '70, and knew, liked and appreciated his music.   But, when he died my reaction was, "Why all the fuss?    I never knew him so why should mourn him?"   He seemed like a good guy from little filtered into my brain about him.   But. still, he was basically a random person. His thing was music and he was really really good at it.   But, it isn't like music is particularly important. 

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Like 2

I loved his more commercial stuff... think "Purple Rain", "When Doves Cry", "1999", "Little Red Corvette", etc.

I didn't know how talented a musician he was until I was older.  I didn't appreciate being self-taught, or all of the other musical skills he brought to the table.  He was also a very good performer....which is an art in and of itself.  Yes, he was a bit androgynous back in the 80s when a lot of people were (New Romantics, I want to say it was called...think guyliner.)  But what's unique about Prince is that he kept on with his own look....doing his own thing....the whole symbol thing.

Oh....and he also had a good sense of humor.  (Really was supposedly a good basketball player even though he was only 5'2" or so.) 

• Like 4

He gave so much to people, organizations, charities. His religion did not allow him to take any credit and it was all kept anonymous - although now things are coming to light since his passing.

Please google and learn about these things - you may learn to like him more.

Not really true that his religion required him to keep it anonymous. He chose to apparently which makes me respect him.

• Like 4

OP, I totally understand the question. I was even born in '70, and knew, liked and appreciated his music. But, when he died my reaction was, "Why all the fuss? I never knew him so why should mourn him?" He seemed like a good guy from little filtered into my brain about him. But. still, he was basically a random person. His thing was music and he was really really good at it. But, it isn't like music is particularly important.

I never get all up in arms when a celebrity dies.

But I do think he was talented.

• Like 3

Didn't read all of the replies, but wanted to add that I read an article that explained why there are not very good YouTube videos, in general, of his music (other than the fact that most of his popular music was released before YouTube existed.)   Apparently, he was very much in favor of privacy and copyright laws.  It stated he was very opposed to the sharing/ripping off of music on the internet, bootlegged videos, and was not a fan of technology (iphones, Facebook, etc.) other than the technology he used to create music.  So, in those ways, I think he was a very artistic person and probably did most/much of his work for the pure art form that it was, vs. placing more emphasis on commercial gain.  Refreshing, considering all the things happening in "music" now that basically equate to $$$ vs. any real, unique talent.  

Also, the article stated that much of his art has never been released.  

• Like 3

Oh, I just saw pinkmint's post; sorry.  

Yeah--agree with a few posts above too...I don't tend to get struck to deeply emotionally when a celebrity dies because I never knew the person.  

But I do think he added a unique flavor and style to the field of music.  I suppose when someone passes, people tend to reflect on what contributions they made to the world. 

• Like 1

OP,  I totally understand the question.   I was even born in '70, and knew, liked and appreciated his music.   But, when he died my reaction was, "Why all the fuss?    I never knew him so why should mourn him?"   He seemed like a good guy from little filtered into my brain about him.   But. still, he was basically a random person. His thing was music and he was really really good at it.   But, it isn't like music is particularly important. 

I do understand the question, as I am not someone to cry over a celebrity in general. If I felt anything, it was more curiosity to read what others have said about them and what he meant, and get some nostalgia for "the end of an era" and such, but not personally sad. There were some really great FB posts from friends for whom he really did mean a bit more: great coming of age bits, and a really great, touching post about "how Prince helped this weird, short, skinny black kid become confident... and was helpful to his coming out process as a gay black man (referencing Prince's gender bending, sexuality questioning side)... an now there's one less short, sensitive black man out there in the world..." I welled up at that post because it touched a friend, and in that, I could raise a "celebratory glass" to Prince for helping all the "weird, skinny black boys who saw themselves in Prince..." I can get with that.  So, I get people being sad because musical artists in particular can touch human hearts and souls. And I imagine that people are not sad in a personal way so much as sad that that piece that touched them isn't accessible anymore. He was a somewhat iconic artist of a generation between 35 - 55 or so. We react to different things. Movies about fictional characters can make me well up because there is something about the story that touches something human in me -- and that's a totally made up story that has nothing to do with me, real-life or anything of importance. And yet the tears come.

That's what art is at its best. Prince didn't do it for me, and music, in general, isn't the art that touches my soul in that way. I'm a music liker, not a music lover. and I dabble in my likes of many artists rather than follow any one artist deeply.

But I'm totally fascinated with what makes up "culture," and was glad to have a fascinating conversation about what "characterizes a generation - pop culture wise" with my kids because they saw 20 Prince posts pop up on my FB feed and asked to know more about why. I played some (carefully curated) Prince to my kids (they really liked it) - and really just re-heard his musical genius again, even though I hadn't been a deep follower of his music. There was a great talent there, and it's worth a day of recognition. 

Mostly, I can get into feeling other people's emotion or enthusiasm for something. Life is so up and down, and if an artist you've never met was part of some of your "ups," that's great - it is indeed the stuff that helps us all get through life. And, for that, I truly say a prayer of thanks for Prince's life. 

• Like 12

Prince had enough musical and other achievements  that he is recognized as a great artist by most knowledgable people in the field. 

That doesn't mean anyone has to like him - I can acknowledge that Faulkner achieved specific things and is a writer of note, but I am still not going to read and enjoy As I Lay Dying (aka As I Died Reading). 

I don't remember the exact wording, but there was a meme that expressed why some people are emotional about the death of someone they never knew - it wasn't that you knew them, but that they helped you to know yourself. 

• Like 15

He was a little before my time, but even then, I was pretty oblivious to pop culture growing up. I'd heard his name, obviously. And I vaguely remember as a kid hearing about "the artist formerly known as Prince."   I might have been able to pick him out of a lineup. However, I just spent the last 15 minutes looking up his most popular songs... and I'd have to say I'm too much of a prude to enjoy any of it. 

Frankly, I think many of us are just gobsmacked that another icon of our young adult years has passed at an age that seems much too young. Robin Williams, David Bowie, Prince... Like their work or not, they were benchmarks of a certain point of my life history and their passing turns my thoughts to the fact that I am also aging.

• Like 6

My best friend (in the eighties) was absolutely obsessed with "Purple Rain." This is what came to my mind when I heard of his passing. It did not grab me the same way, neither did most of his other work but there are songs I didn't know he wrote. And what I really didn't know is his philanthropic side which I appreciate more than his music.

Frankly, I think many of us are just gobsmacked that another icon of our young adult years has passed at an age that seems much too young. Robin Williams, David Bowie, Prince... Like their work or not, they were benchmarks of a certain point of my life history and their passing turns my thoughts to the fact that I am also aging.

This is the only reason it affects me.

His music was really creative and always a little ahead of its time.  He wasn't afraid to be experimental or push boundaries.  Which is probably why he doesn't resonate with everyone - some of it seems a little strange or out there.  He was a prolific songwriter who managed to write a lot of hits.

His musicality and musicianship was really high - on many of his albums he plays all or most of the instruments. He was considered one of the great rock/pop guitarists.

• Like 3

He went through several styles - some I like, others I don't. My personal favourite is Gold...the line "what's the use of money if you ain't gonna break the mold" really fits him, though the line "what's the point of being young if you ain't gonna get old" is kinda bittersweet now...

Beyond his work ethic, wide music expertise and talent, generosity and supporting of communities often overlooked, he challenged and broke a lot of rules and identity boxes wide open which helped and inspired many people. He openly spoke out on injustice that many others dismissed and put his actions and money where his mouth was. In a society where young black men are so often portrayed and still talked about in media, politics, and academia as hypermasculine and predators, Prince and his music openly challenged that. 

His guest spot on the Muppet Show will always have a warm place in my heart -so adorable [both the episode and him in it]. 

I don't react much to celebrity deaths, but honestly, with the many celebrity deaths this year, this one has been the first where I felt 'wow, that's such a loss to both music and wider communities". 

• Like 8

I agree that a lot of the sadness for people is the ending of an era. Some of us were more connected to popular culture than others. More connected to certain music. It feels like a very real part of our lives and stories. 

Also when you look around at the most popular musicians of this day they are heavy on style and low on substance, and like Prince or not, he had a whole lot of artistic substance. 

• Like 5