Menu

Quick - what do you tip for pizza delivery?

SKL

20% or $5, whichever is higher.  Even if it is half-off day or we use points to get a "free" pizza I still tip $5.  I like to be known as a decent tipper (for where we live).  I do not tip if I pick it up, though.

We are about 5 minutes from the pizza place, suburb house with short driveway.  Now, if I was in a gated community or a high rise and the delivery person had a harder time getting my pizza to me, I'd tip higher.

I do tip higher in bad weather,  too.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

Dang, you must be extremely popular. 

Our belief is these folks are working for a living (or college or whatever) while we're enjoying ourselves.  We like to help them to earn a living so they can also have some $$ to enjoy themselves.

And yes... we always get terrific service at places we frequent often, so that's a bonus, but we do the same when we travel to places we'll never get to again.

I also hang onto some of the thank you notes from maids when we're staying for more than one night...  Our favorite "bonus" in addition to a tip is a bag of assorted Lindt Truffles.

No regrets.

• Like 1

I usually tip three bucks for our two medium pizza 13 dollar order, unless weather is bad, then I tip more. I also tip more for a larger order. Our pizza place is really close too.

This is in line with what I do. Usually 3 -4 dollars for 2-3 medium pizzas. The bill is only 15-18 dollars, so that percentage wise makes sense to me. I grew up tipping a buck a pizza, but give more like a dollar a pizza plus one-2 more nw. 

• Like 1

I am feeling super cheap.  We tip about $3-$4. If we tipped any more than that we would either pick it up ourselves or not order pizza.  I had no idea people tipped as high as $10!!  

Me either! I wonder if the cost of the pizza makes a difference? $10 would be 50% of the total oftentimes!

Me either! I wonder if the cost of the pizza makes a difference? $10 would be 50% of the total oftentimes!

We've been known to tip that high (or occasionally higher) percentage-wise.  It all depends upon the reason we are tipping and our finances at the time.

As I stated before, our minimum tip is $5 or 20%, whichever is higher.

This goes along with our personal beliefs about the value of jobs being done for us and wanting to help others out (a little associated with that Middle Class Shame thread).

Tipping allows us to assist those actively working for a living.  Charity donations (we do those too in some situations) are slightly different if given to those not working.

We will never be rich by US standards, but I'm ok with that.  By the majority world standards (all population), we are wealthy, so we spread it around as best we can.

It's a different mindset than the majority, but no regrets. (nor condemnation of others)

• Like 1

We're a 10 minute drive, at least, and really 15 in most traffic, from any pizza place.  So that's 1/2 hour round trip, minimum.  The price of the pizza is irrelevant to how much work delivering the pizza is or isn't - for 10 pizzas I'm still probably tipping $10.  (unless they have one of those built in app things that makes you select a percentage, those are obnoxious).  We don't ever order 10 pizzas, though :)

I figure $10 is fair given the time it takes.  If we lived around the corner I'd pick up, but our pizza place (we don't eat dairy or eggs so we have limited options) is 15 minutes away, downtown, with almost zero parking.  Sometimes I do pick up but it takes forever to find a spot and the driving around down there is harrowing.

In our last house we were also a 10 minute drive from the pizza place; I ordered delivery when DH was gone with the car.  Same deal - $10 for roughly 1/2 hour of work is fine with me. (I assume they make another $3.50 for that half hour, give or take, but still).

Here is my reasoning (and also why we pay $20/hr minimum when we hire employees) - right now, we have $, enough so that we actually pay taxes, instead of having them partially offset by the EIC or getting a refund.  This means we pay for all sorts of social welfare programs, and in fact for other people's refunds/EIC reductions.  The way the current system is set up means that I can either pay more for social welfare programs or I can pay more for things like tips for low wage workers and wages for employees - enough so that they make a living wage.

I am super conservative politically, btw.  Ted Cruz isn't conservative enough for me.  But I don't see the point in paying people so little that we end up having to make up their standard of living though government programs - why not just give them the $ in the first place and let them support themselves?

When we were poor and *we* were getting a tax refund, I didn't tip much, because I didn't have much.  Then again, I also never ordered pizza delivery :)

As a percentage of our income, though, I bet we gave away more money through tips or charity or giving $10 to the homeless guy on the corner when we were poor than we do now.  I've found on the whole that poor people are pretty generous with each other (maybe the only thing I agree with Jack London about).

eta: in case it wasn't clear - for poor people, or at least for us when we were poor, if we gave $10 to someone, it was likely our spending $ for the week.  The difference between making $20,000 a year and $120,000 a year isn't just the $100,000 - it's that on $20,000, there is no cushion.  If you give your spare cash ($10) to charity you're giving everything you have until you get paid again.  I don't see many wealthier people (us included, and we're not exactly wealthy) giving away $5,000 to the bum on the corner, which is the equivalent in spending $ terms of the $10 poor people will give each other when they can.

Edited by ananemone

$3-5 usually.

My dad's retirement pasttime/job is delivering pizza (yes the people at Dominos think the looney old man with the master's degree delivering pizzas is crazy, but he is not a guy who can 'sit around'.... he likes having a job, he likes the people, he likes driving.)

He said he'd be pretty surprised by a $10 tip from anyone.

my dad tried delivering pizzas for a while (man did we eat a lot of Papa Johns that year) - he was disabled by previous work but we needed the money, I guess.  It didn't last; I'm not sure if it was that the money wasn't enough or the work was too physical.

My first job was washing dogs at a grooming place (great job for a teenager, btw).  I also ended up running the front end sometimes when people picked up their dogs, as my part of the work was done early (they had to be washed before being groomed).  I'd say half of customers tipped; half of those tipped well ($5 or more) and maybe one a day, so 3%, tipped really well.  I always figured the one tipping really well had money to burn.

Then again, if you're paying $40 to have your dog's hair cut every month, probably you have money to burn.

I have found this thread very enlightening. I tip 20% and round up. I often round up to the nearest $5 mark. However, I rarely order more than $15-20 worth of pizza.

I have never tipped a pizza deliver person $10, since that is 50+% tip, I don't think it likely I ever will. Even if I think about it as 20 mins pay, then that would be $30/hour. I don't think that is a reasonable pay rate at all for an unskilled worker. I live in a low cost of living area. Here a college degree and experience in your field won't even get $30/hour.

I think part of the difference in tipping may be due to local COL and also family size/quantity of pizza ordered.

We've been known to tip that high (or occasionally higher) percentage-wise.  It all depends upon the reason we are tipping and our finances at the time.

As I stated before, our minimum tip is $5 or 20%, whichever is higher.

This goes along with our personal beliefs about the value of jobs being done for us and wanting to help others out (a little associated with that Middle Class Shame thread).

Tipping allows us to assist those actively working for a living.  Charity donations (we do those too in some situations) are slightly different if given to those not working.

We will never be rich by US standards, but I'm ok with that.  By the majority world standards (all population), we are wealthy, so we spread it around as best we can.

It's a different mindset than the majority, but no regrets. (nor condemnation of others)

You must be the long lost twin sister of my DH. He could have said the exact same things above! He strongly believes that tipping is a way to assist those who are working hard for a living. When he shut his company down 3 years ago, there were all kinds of people coming over to say they would miss him - a lot of them were the janitors, valets, security staff etc who he tipped frequently and generously.

To answer OP, we tip 40-50% for Pizza delivery (our orders are around $35-50). We live in a very high COL area that the 50% does not look like much and the deliveries are usually made by college students who look like they could use it.

• Like 1