Menu

What Is Your Secret Weirdness?

Gil

Nobody's else's socks bother me, but shoes that separate the toes are a little disturbing.

This reminded me of the awful rainbow toe socks of my youth. They were evil. I also can not wear flip flops or any sandals that have that thing between the toes.

• Like 6

I have started to worry recently that I may get a waiter or waitress with those giant ear spacers in.  I don't know what I'd do if I had to stare at them and eat food knowing they were coming back.  Just the thought of it makes me queasy.

• Like 1

No one else in my family can click their ears. Maybe it is more common in the general population but people don't talk about it?

This sounded like the weirdest thing to me. But, are you talking about the popping sound your ears make when you yawn? I can make my ears do that without yawning completely, but I making the beginning of a yawn without opening my mouth. If that makes sense. If that's what you're talking about, I can do that! Doesn't sound so weird anymore. 😄

This has been fascinating to read!

I can't stand to be breathed on or breath somebody else's breath. It will wake me up at night if my husband ends up too close to me and I'm beating his breath. I've never told him that either.

I hold my breath and don't look at dead animals on the road. I have to actually force myself to start breathing again once I've passed it. I guess I don't want to breath death? No idea! I'm not actually grossed out. I just can't.

I know the numerical order of the alphabet as well as I know the letter itself. A=1, M=13, etc I play a game, especially while driving where I alternate adding and subtracting letters in a word to know its numerical value. For instance the word weirdness equals 4. I do it a lot. :)

I can't stand loose teeth!! I can handle all the other bleeding, vomiting, etc things but do NOT come show me your loose tooth or, heaven forbid, ask me to pull it!! Gag!!

I'm sure there are others. I'm just too distracting with these others I'm thinking about now. :)

I like the smell of skunk but I don't think it smells like coffee. It smells like an eraser after you just erased a bunch of mistakes.

I play online Scrabble and I am really competitive. I always check the other player's stats and am positively giddy if they have a high win % and I beat them. Towards the end of the game I keep track of the letters that are left and what they have so I can anticipate their moves and block them.

This sounded like the weirdest thing to me. But, are you talking about the popping sound your ears make when you yawn? I can make my ears do that without yawning completely, but I making the beginning of a yawn without opening my mouth. If that makes sense. If that's what you're talking about, I can do that! Doesn't sound so weird anymore. 😄

Nope not popping. That happens to me sometimes, but this is different. It's a sharp clicking sound, exactly like the little bones tapping together. I'm doing it right now. I can completely control the clicking, make it click faster or slower, start and stop at will, etc. I do kind of get tired of doing it after a few seconds, though. I don't have to move my jaw to do it. There is no outward sign at all that I am clicking my ears.

Oh, I am so gonna get flamed for this but I can't stand when women use their bras/cleavage as substitute pockets in public. Especially for multiple and/or large items.

It never fails to unsettle me and yes, I judge them on that alone.

I mean if you're going to bring a coin purse, Samsung Galaxy S6 and a pack of gum with you when you go out, how hard is it to get a purse or wear something with pockets?!

As a former cashier at a grocery store, I agree! One of the nastiest things was ladies who paid for their groceries with money pulled from their bra that was limp and sweaty. SO GROSS!

• Like 3

I hate to look at fingernails that need to be clipped. When my kids' nails grow too long, it makes me really uncomfortable. I just asked DD14 to trim her nails today so that I wouldn't have to look at them. It especially bothers me if they are chipped or uneven.

Also, I can do a thing with my ears. I can make a clicking sound inside my head. I don't know if this is the true cause, but it is as if I am clacking my ear bones together. I can make it happen at will. It's easiest to do both at once, but I can do one ear at a time. Recently I had my children put their ears up to mine and listen; they could hear me do it.

I can do the ear thing too - I didn't know it was weird though! I'll have to ask DH if he can. 

My knees hyperextend naturally. If I'm standing and not thinking about it, it looks like my knees go backwards. All my joints are strangely flexible (I managed to gross out my gymnasts of all people with my shoulder flexibility). The knee thing is starting to cause issues with my hips as I get closer to 40, so it's moved from an oddity to an annoyance. I basically have to stand with my knees slightly bent at all times. 

I dont like feet.  Not mine, not yours...none of them. Please dont put them on me or where my head goes in the bed.

I dont like people touching my pillow either. 

I do like having my back breathed on while I sleep, but NOT in my face.

I also stick my foot out when I'm hot and bring it back in the covers when I'm cold.

Nobody's else's socks bother me, but shoes that separate the toes are a little disturbing.

This reminded me of the awful rainbow toe socks of my youth. They were evil. I also can not wear flip flops or any sandals that have that thing between the toes.

I also can't wear flip flops for this very reason.  I don't even like seeing other people wear them because I can't understand how they feel that is even remotely comfortable. 

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 3

I can't stand reaching down into the bread bag once a few slices have been taken out. I always trim the bag so there's just enough for the twisty to close it. I do this with chip bags as well, though I generally pour chips out into a bowl anyway. And I have to cut open the chip bag with scissors, not just pull it open. I dunno, the older I get the weirder I seem to get as well.

Me, me, me!!! I do pull open the chips bag, but can't stand having the extra material all over...have to cut it asap. Dh thinks I'm weird :)
  • Like 2

I have laughed so much reading this! I guess I am really weird :) Here I go...

1) I must get dressed. Can't be in PJs all day or part of the day. 2) I hum songs...when I'm sad, mad, happy...love humming. Try not to do it though, annoys hubby and oldest dd. Specially because I don't like a lot of music, so very often I hum Christmas songs. 3) love tapping my fingers, but yeah, try not to do it either. 4) ditto to not being able to breathe when someone is too close to me, there's just not enough air for both of us :) 5) ditto to having to cut the bags when bread, chips, cereal etc gets low...can't stand the extra bagging 6) have to wear shoes (or slippers). Hate to be barefoot 7) ditto to the dog licking. No, not allowed at all, yuk! 8) laughed so hard at the money storage issues...it bugs me when I see it, but never thought of it from the cashier's perspective. Warm, sweaty money...GROSS!!! I don't know why it bothered me? The idea of dirty money being stored so close to my body, or seeing someone digging into their private parts...but the sweat thing adds a new level of yuckiness 9) I have LOW tolerance for noice, just can't tolerate it. Kind of a problem. Depending on the day, sometimes even my kids laughing is too much for me to handle. 10) I have an issue with bad words. Can't stand them. Not hearing them, reading them, saying them...just no. I have said a few as an adult, but I have to be EXTREMELY mad for me to use them. It's very rare. 11) I don't like dishwashers, could perfectly live without one. We have one, it just takes room in my kitchen... such a waste. 12) I love pumpkin, but not in everything. Love pumpkin coffee creamer and bread. No cookies, tea, shakes (eeew). Gosh! Never realized all my weirdness :)

Wait, are you for real? You wash and iron your cash?

That's SO weird!!!! I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I love it!!!

I have lots of experience with quirkiness, and I've never heard of anyone doing this, either! I love it, and love this thread!

You have inspired me to confess my truly secret weirdness.

I like to wash my money, then iron it with a little magic sizing or light starch. I used to do this without fail. Now that I have children, I mostly just live with the the icky-squicky feeling of having wrinkled, grubby cash. Having time to wash my money again is one of the few things I look forward to about having the children "up and out."

By hand in the sink, then blot, then iron.😃

I am so glad you shared with us, but you probably should continue to keep it a secret from most people. You might have some strange people show up at your door if it gets around that you like laundering money. :p

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 15

As a former cashier at a grocery store, I agree! One of the nastiest things was ladies who paid for their groceries with money pulled from their bra that was limp and sweaty. SO GROSS!

I swear, I just.can't.handle it. It's so awful!

Whats worse than that is when they substitute a bag or a backpack for their breasts, like this woman. <-- I swear that YouTube clip is practically a horror movie for me. (Its safe for work, just a woman who stashes stuff in her bra.)

Its eerie how common that habit is among the women in this area.

Edited by Gil
  • Like 1

The entire state of Maine is off limits for me. Too much Stephen King when I was younger. Can't do it.

Also I have an irrational fear of my teeth falling out. I count them periodically to make sure they're all there. Also due to too much Stephen King.

I know my reading of It as a young teen contributed to my current fear of drains. I really dislike dealing with them if they are broken, when I lean over to wash my face or spit out toothpaste I shut my eyes, etc. I also have a weird fear of clowns now. I think an entire generation was scarred by this book in the same way the previous generation was scared of showers after watching Psycho.

• Like 4

I too can click my ears, in more ways than one.  I can do a lot of other weird things too, but most audiences are not appropriate for such things.  :P

Sitting in my room with the door shut, I can tell who just opened or closed their bedroom door.  I started noticing this ability when I lived in a dorm decades ago.  People definitely felt violated when they'd go to the bathroom at night and I'd say, "hi Jeff" ....

Not everyone sneezes in response to the sun?!? I had no idea!

I thought of another weirdness. I can sense when doors are closed in the house.

This thread is making me realize how quirky I really am.

I hate closed bedroom doors. They have to be cracked. And they have to be cracked open one inch. Anything more than an inch and the door is too open, less then an inch and the door is too closed. I have no idea when I picked this quirk up. I know I have had it since I was a child. Most likely my sister did something to me but the memory has been lost.

my secret weirdness.. I read magazines from the back forward. Not that I read them much anymore, but it dawned on me a few years ago at some appt. or another that it was how I always flip through magazines.

I do that too. All the interesting stuff is in the back. And also, I think I'm subconsciously trying to avoid manipulation by seeing whatever I'm "supposed" to see first.

For the same reason, grocery store end-caps are virtually invisible to me, and when I walk into a clothing store, I slide to the edges as soon as possible without noticing the big display in the middle (and hopefully avoiding salespeople that might talk to me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have so many ......

Every closet door in my house must be closed in order for me to sleep.  All the way closed. Other doors can be open, but there are monsters in closets, you know!!!

I have supersonic hearing.  I can hear weird, random things that other people can't and the noises drive me insane.

I can't stand for anyone to touch my face.  My kids are always trying to put their fingers in my face and I can't stand it.

No turtlenecks or even t-shirts with a regular crew neck.  It has to be a v-neck.

Volume on the radio and TV have to be on a number that ends in 0 or 5.

• Like 1

I like public speaking. I'd rather give a speech than chat with just a few people.

I can't say I love public speaking...but I would definitely prefer speaking in public over accompanying dh to a work party and trying to chat with people I've never met.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like to drink orange juice after brushing my teeth. The mint/orange combination is nice. I don't understand why citrus + mint is considered gross--it's like a mojito!

Noo! I can't eat anything for at least a half hour after brushing my teeth. Especially not OJ. It tastes like...I don't know...but it gives me the same feeling as eating unsweetened chocolate. Edited by TKDmom

-- I swear that YouTube clip is practically a horror movie for me. (Its safe for work, just a woman who stashes stuff in her bra.)

Its eerie how common that habit is among the women in this area.

That was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen! I cannot believe anyone actually uses their bra to stuff that much stuff into. I guess it's more efficient than wearing a push-up bra???

I liked having loose teeth as a kid and pulling others' teeth.  I liked the slightly painful feeling of working a tooth to make it looser.  If I noticed a tooth was loose, I would have it out within the day, sometimes within the hour.  I distinctly remember the feeling of twisting a tooth, and I like it.  A couple of my lower permanent teeth are a bit out of line, and I sometimes push on them and can just start to feel that sensation when I was loosening a tooth. 

My kids are not the same.  My middle DD currently has 6 loose teeth.  She won't let me touch them.   :lol:

• Like 2

I liked having loose teeth as a kid and pulling others' teeth. I liked the slightly painful feeling of working a tooth to make it looser. If I noticed a tooth was loose, I would have it out within the day, sometimes within the hour. I distinctly remember the feeling of twisting a tooth, and I like it. A couple of my lower permanent teeth are a bit out of line, and I sometimes push on them and can just start to feel that sensation when I was loosening a tooth.

My kids are not the same. My middle DD currently has 6 loose teeth. She won't let me touch them. :lol:

Me too! And I love pulling my kids' teeth out. Usually they won't let me though. It takes a lot of bribing. Like $5-10. A whole lot more than if it just fell out and they got their measly dollar from the tooth fairy.

• Like 1

This has been fascinating to read!

I can't stand to be breathed on or breath somebody else's breath. It will wake me up at night if my husband ends up too close to me and I'm beating his breath. I've never told him that either.

I hold my breath and don't look at dead animals on the road. I have to actually force myself to start breathing again once I've passed it. I guess I don't want to breath death? No idea! I'm not actually grossed out. I just can't.

I know the numerical order of the alphabet as well as I know the letter itself. A=1, M=13, etc I play a game, especially while driving where I alternate adding and subtracting letters in a word to know its numerical value. For instance the word weirdness equals 4. I do it a lot. :)

I can't stand loose teeth!! I can handle all the other bleeding, vomiting, etc things but do NOT come show me your loose tooth or, heaven forbid, ask me to pull it!! Gag!!

I'm sure there are others. I'm just too distracting with these others I'm thinking about now. :)

Yes! I sleep facing opposite of my dh because I don't want to breathe on him/him breathe on me. When he works nights I enjoy sleeping on my other side!

And I cannot take teeth at all either! My kids know not to come near me with any teeth issues. Although this is accompanied by a phobia of the dentist and probably had something to do with getting 11 teeth pulled.. while awake... as a small child. It was spread out over three appointments but was by far the most traumatic thing that ever happened to me LOL

You mean you sometimes have your TV volume on an ODD number!?! :willy_nilly:

Evens only around here. :laugh:

I have music set on my TV as I type.  It's at 13... my usual number for this station.  ;)

TV is generally watched at 15 or 19 if live, and 35 - 55 if taped.  I've no idea why our DVR requires a louder volume than our TV, but it does.

But no... we're not set in where things have to be, those are just known "works for us" numbers so we gravitate to them rather than trying to figure it out each time.  I'm pretty sure if you visited you could choose 12 or 14 instead if you wanted to...  or the pp could have 10 or 15.  ;)

• Like 1

I could write a book on my not so secret weirdness but a couple minor ones that come to mind, grammar (spoken, not written), cloth/material in my mouth, socks with shoes that fit, I wear 1/2 size to big so I can actually wear socks, round necked and collared shirts (but turtle necks are okay), I can drive in rain and I can drive in the dark but if it's raining and dark I might as well pull over to sleep for the night, I do a little happy dance/humming thing when I eat something good.

• Like 1

I swear that YouTube clip is practically a horror movie for me.

Couldn't agree more. Oh, and that just reminded me another of my quirks. Can't stand gals who have the need to expose their boobs...they should keep them for themselves. I mean, if they like them that much, fine...they can do whatever they want with them. But for all of us to see? No thanks

• Like 1

I have music set on my TV as I type.  It's at 13... my usual number for this station.   ;)

TV is generally watched at 15 or 19 if live, and 35 - 55 if taped.  I've no idea why our DVR requires a louder volume than our TV, but it does.

But no... we're not set in where things have to be, those are just known "works for us" numbers so we gravitate to them rather than trying to figure it out each time.  I'm pretty sure if you visited you could choose 12 or 14 instead if you wanted to...  or the pp could have 10 or 15.   ;)

Oh, the horror! ;)

ETA: It doesn't bother my dh.. it's just a thing with me. He will be adjusting the volume and stop on 11 and I cringe. He's like "Oh, sorry." *Changes to 12* lol Sometimes if he's feeling funny he picks odd numbers on purpose.. :glare:lol​

Edited by Mrs. Hound
  • Like 2

I can't even believe that all my secret weirdnesses are not really very unique! This is oddly life affirming today! 

I can't relax if kitchen cabinet or closet doors are open.

>> Amen. And every other person in my house cannot seem to figure out how to close doors. It's really mysterious. 

My siblings, my children, and I all do this.  It's hilarious when we're all together for a holiday and we step outside to go on a walk.  Eight people sneeze within thirty seconds of each other.

My sons and I all do this! It's even better when we are with our extended family in the Midwest -- there's a good dozen of us who do it! 

I don't eat meat and I don't drink tea, coffee, or alcohol.  This isn't for health reasons or religious reasons.  I just can't stand the taste of them!  I wish I did like them...it would make social get-togethers much easier.

I have been a vegetarian for 24 years because I cannot stomach the taste or texture of meat. Blech.

• Like 2

I'm a photic sneezer as well. I grew up thinking everybody was like that, found out I was weird but then found out it had a name and I wasn't alone! Happy day!

Also, not a weirdity I control but my eyes water over everything; sneezes, yawns, sun, wind, etc. When I throw up my eyes flood like I'm crying hysterically. Annoying! It feels like everything makes my eyes water. It's another thing I thought was normal until just a few years ago.

• Like 1

I sneeze if you pull my hair near my temples. Happens every time at the salon when they color my hair.

Every night, when I lay down to sleep, I can remember my dream from the night before.

If I lose one sense, I feel like I have lost them all. I refused wearing hearing protection in the Army because I felt like I couldn't shoot as accurately.

Touching my belly button makes me want to vomit.

I can name a song in a few notes and a language in a few words.

I have an irrational fear of decapitation.

• Like 1

I cannot stand the word "panties." The sound of the word make me :ack2:

Me too! This was the commonly-used word when I was a kid but I now wear underwear ;). My daughter will never have to suffer like I did, as that word will never pass my lips. Even reading "Don't get your p@#+!*$ in a twist!" makes me squirm in my underwear ;).

• Like 1

Am I the only one who keeps seeing this title and thinking, "All my weird is out in the open and too extensive to list anyway....?"

:rofl:

Edited by Arctic Mama

I just want put a curse on all if you quoting the darn eraser to metal quote. Once was bad enough, but the repeated spine shivers was just downright rude. Evil, I tell ya, you're all evil!

Apparently that is my secret weirdness. Not one I've experienced in a long time. Didn't realize or remember it even bothered me. But...it does.

• Like 1

I have so many quirks.

I don't like to eat without a full glass of water. 

I must go pee before I eat.

I like to have equal bites of all my food.

I only like certain fabrics, colors and cuts of clothes- shopping for and with me is torturous.

I hate nail polish, I have to be able to see my nails- toe polish is ok.

I hate to be breathed on, if dh faces my way at night it ticks me off because then I hate to roll over.

There must be no lights on at night- alarm clock is flipped over so I can't see it and the bathroom door shot so I can't see the moonlight coming through(it is better for sleep).

I like it to be cold enough to sleep in pants and at least a sheet-  I vastly prefer to sleep with a heavy comforter it just feels better.

I find it hard to walk around the house without some kind of shoes- even if it is a house shoe with a sole- I wear minimal shoes almost everywhere mind you- but no shoes is a no go. I very, very rarely wear socks, like only if it is freezing cold which is like 10 days a year or something. I hate, hate, hate socks. I don't even wear them with my tennis shoes- which is another reason my minimal shoes are wonderful they feel perfect without them. 

I have to wear a belt with my pants. I don't understand how people can stand to wear them without.

Because of my own preferences I let the kids wear pretty much whatever they want- although I remember almost snapping when my mini-me 8yo took HOURS to finally find a pair of pants she would wear and when we got it home decided she didn't like the way they felt- she tried them on for goodness sakes. Thankfully the kids aren't all that picky although they have some quirks and preferences.

Edited by soror