Menu

What Is Your Secret Weirdness?

Gil

It doesn't have to be secret as in "I never tell anyone" but more of a "only those who know me well would know this about me"

We all have one, so fess up.

Mine: I can't stand ankle socks. I really, really, really hate them.

My hatred of ankle socks is so bad that seeing them on others makes me remember how they feel on me, which illicit a shiver of disgust. It is for this reason that I hate when people wear ankle socks in such a way that I can see them.

• Like 3

Face blindness - not the worst I've seen, but bad enough that I really have to work at learning who new people are.  School is the ultimate challenge with all the kids.  Hubby's around to help me at home with acquaintances.  I can recognize close friends/family, esp if they haven't changed hair, etc.

• Like 6

ps  I probably shouldn't add that I sometimes wear ankle socks, should I.

Groaned and shivered at my desk when I read that. The security guard is going to think I'm on drugs or something, but whatever. He wears ankle socks and it bothers me.

• Like 6

I cannot abide the sound of people shuffling their feet when they walk, that scraping of their shoes along the ground/floor.  When I hear it, I walk away from those people, because I just can't take it.  If I'm stuck somewhere that I can't get away from it, it takes all of my willpower not to scream, "Pick up your freaking feet!!!"

• Like 10

Oh! And when people click their nails. I've actually grabbed a strangers hand more than once and said "Could you please not do that" really fast. I don't mean to, it's a reaction. I can actually finish the sentence before the tips of my hair have caught up to where I turned my head to face the person. It probably makes me look psychotic. I did meet a guy that way once so it can't be *that* bad.

• Like 6

I'm the only person I know who doesn't mind the smell of skunks.  I think it smells similar to coffee.

And I only wear socks for about 3 minutes in the winter---the rest of the time I wear flipflops or Tevas.  I only wear the quarter socks---can't abide the ones that are below the ankle.  And I'm funny about the seams in them.

• Like 4

I cannot abide the sound of people shuffling their feet when they walk, that scraping of their shoes along the ground/floor.  When I hear it, I walk away from those people, because I just can't take it.  If I'm stuck somewhere that I can't get away from it, it takes all of my willpower not to scream, "Pick up your freaking feet!!!"

My husband does that.. it drives.me.crazy.  He also slurps his drinks. 

my secret weirdness..  I read magazines from the back forward.   Not that I read them much anymore, but it dawned on me a few years ago at some appt. or another that it was how I always flip through magazines.

• Like 6

I'm the only person I know who doesn't mind the smell of skunks.  I think it smells similar to coffee.

And I only wear socks for about 3 minutes in the winter---the rest of the time I wear flipflops or Tevas.  I only wear the quarter socks---can't abide the ones that are below the ankle.  And I'm funny about the seams in them.

I swear I read that as "or Texas" and I was like...what?

• Like 2

I have too many to count.

Not so much anymore, but I used to love the smell of fresh tar.  Loved it when we passed a paving crew. 

I can't stand the sound of people eating in an otherwise quiet room.  It's not that people are eating in a nasty, loud, messy way.  Just the sound of eating makes me ill. 

I have no issues with any sort of sock.

• Like 6

You can't rub my fingerprints. Seriously. I'll freak.

The first time I smelled burning bodies I commented on how great the smell was. My mother was horrified. I didn't know what it was for the record.

Ya'know, I don't actually know what either of those points mean.

What is rubbing your fingerprints?

Also, how often are you around burning bodies?

• Like 5

my secret weirdness..  I read magazines from the back forward.   Not that I read them much anymore, but it dawned on me a few years ago at some appt. or another that it was how I always flip through magazines.

That's how I read them too!!! I never realized it was "weird" until I saw my mother reading a magazine backwards and..I realized that perhaps it wasn't the norm. 

• Like 2

Ya'know, I don't actually know what either of those points mean.

What is rubbing your fingerprints?

Also, how often are you around burning bodies?

Don't touch the parts of my fingers where the lines are.

Crematoriums people! They smell when they're cooking.

I'm the only person I know who doesn't mind the smell of skunks. I think it smells similar to coffee.

And I only wear socks for about 3 minutes in the winter---the rest of the time I wear flipflops or Tevas. I only wear the quarter socks---can't abide the ones that are below the ankle. And I'm funny about the seams in them.

I don't mind the smell of skunks. Everyone I know thinks I'm insane.

I hate hair touching my face. Cannot abide it. I become an evil crazy person. Oh, the horror that was my life when I tried bangs.

But my real secret weirdness is that I LOVE doing taxes, writing budgets, and doing anything with financials. I actually do my taxes on paper first, just to make sure that the tax software does it correctly. I always know the yearly exemptions/deductions/etc by heart and occasionally do a rough calculation in my head just to make sure that we're not withholding too much or too little (or paying the correct amount in estimated taxes in those years that we have self employment income).

• Like 6

People eating or chewing gum, the sound of food wrappers, the sound of bare feet or shoes shuffling on the floor.

I also can't stand looking at bare feet.  It was fine during Judo class, as was the shuffle sound, but anytime other than those times, I can't stand feet. 

• Like 3

And I never knew crematoriums smelled. :blink:

It's from the stacks. It's like when you're driving through a neighborhood and you know someone is having a fire because you can smell the smoke coming out of the chimney. It's part of my argument that the Germans that lived near the camps knew the jews were being killed. It's an unmistakable smell and I'll never forget it. Smelling that every weekend and denying something was wrong? Those people were lying, even if only to themselves.

• Like 4

I'm weird in so many ways, I don't know where to start.

I get very restless if I have shoes on in the house.  Shoes on means we are leaving.  NOW.  Do not delay my exit after my shoes are on.

I can't stand the sound made by slow tires on a street.  Critch critch critch.  Shudder.

I have a problem sitting with my feet down on the floor.  Usually I sit cross-legged in my chair, even at work.

I can't find socks that don't strangle my legs.  (Even when I am slim.)

• Like 4

I do not like ankle socks, hearing people chewing or slurping or hearing shuffling feet that others have mentioned. I cannot stand the texture of velvet. Somehow both my girls love that texture. I am very picky about clothing texture. I do not like dresses or anything tight so I never in my life looked girly. I try on like 10 jeans to find one that fits comfortably to me. I hate food that has even a hint of crispness or brownness to it I much prefer things that are not well done.

My husband would tell you I have a thousand (not so) secret weirdnesses.  But for the sake of the thread, I'll stick to one.

We have a double sink.  I cannot stand it when DH/DS put dirty dishes in the right sink!  Put them in the LEFT sink, people!  Is it really that hard?!

I tell people to put stuff in the right sink.  I do not understand why they won't do it, even though they know how much it bugs me.

• Like 1

It's from the stacks. It's like when you're driving through a neighborhood and you know someone is having a fire because you can smell the smoke coming out of the chimney. It's part of my argument that the Germans that lived near the camps knew the jews were being killed. It's an unmistakable smell and I'll never forget it. Smelling that every weekend and denying something was wrong? Those people were lying, even if only to themselves.

Yes, this.  

My husband spend years as an EMT and volunteer firefighter, and he says the same.  He can identify the type of fire just by seeing or smelling the smoke.  You can imagine the conversations when we're out driving.    

• Like 4

I can't stand the sound of people eating in an otherwise quiet room.  It's not that people are eating in a nasty, loud, messy way.  Just the sound of eating makes me ill. 

DH has major issues with the sound of people eating, including himself. He gets all twitchy and visibly annoyed if he can hear someone chew. We always have music or TV on when he's home at mealtimes!

I have a fear (irrational?) of exploding eyeballs. Like decompression in space or underwater. I can't watch space movies until I get guarantees from people who have seen them before me that everyone's eyeballs remain intact. I grilled so many people before going to see the Martian because I was sure that someone's eyeballs would have decompressed in that movie. I'm glad they didn't because I enjoyed the movie. :-)

• Like 2

Gosh, where to start.  lol  One thing that only my family gets is my OCD need to NOT take the first item, the one out front, on the shelves at a store.  It's not all the time, and I don't know why it's certain things more than others, but if I want, say, a package of hot dogs or a box of candy or a package of donuts, I will take the second one.  Just whatever is not on top or in front.  Kwim?  When my kids help me shop, they automatically do this FOR me!  LOL

Also, I have to sleep with my hair covering my ear (I lay on my side so I do this no matter which side/ear)...so that a bug/spider won't crawl into it.  LOL  :P 

• Like 6

I rarely have reason to do this anymore, but I like being on the road just before and during sunrise. I feel so purposeful, like one of the on-the-ball people of the world because I am dressed, rested and headed somewhere on purpose before the sun is up.

Many eons ago, when I worked in Baltimore City and had to commute in traffic with a zillion other people, I kind of liked it. Not if there was some major weather event or accident, of course, but if it was ordinary working-people traffic and I was one of them, I kind of liked it. It felt productive. I miss that sometimes.

• Like 6

Face blindness - not the worst I've seen, but bad enough that I really have to work at learning who new people are.  School is the ultimate challenge with all the kids.  Hubby's around to help me at home with acquaintances.  I can recognize close friends/family, esp if they haven't changed hair, etc.

Thank you for giving me a name for that.  I'd be the world's worst witness. I am truly awful with remembering faces or recognizing people I know, especially out of context.  Like, the guy who sells me a movie ticket every week I know when I see him at the theater but if I saw him at the grocery store I'd have no idea. 

The first time I smelled burning bodies I commented on how great the smell was. My mother was horrified. I didn't know what it was for the record.

The freakiest thing I have read in days. Even though now I know how you know this and it's not *too* creepy, I have watched too much Making a Murderer to have not thought it was freaky when I initially read it.  

• Like 4

DH has major issues with the sound of people eating, including himself. He gets all twitchy and visibly annoyed if he can hear someone chew. We always have music or TV on when he's home at mealtimes!

I have a fear (irrational?) of exploding eyeballs. Like decompression in space or underwater. I can't watch space movies until I get guarantees from people who have seen them before me that everyone's eyeballs remain intact. I grilled so many people before going to see the Martian because I was sure that someone's eyeballs would have decompressed in that movie. I'm glad they didn't because I enjoyed the movie. :-)

Just a guess here- no cow eyeball dissections for your kids?

• Like 3

I do this too :)

• Like 1

I have so many quirks, but here are just a few:

I cannot stand to have anything in my face or on my neck - I have long hair and no bangs so hair can't accidentally fall into my face. Also, turtlenecks and scarves are like torture devices.

I can't stand any kind of tapping or banging, like if someone is swinging their ankle and it's hitting my bench, or if my kids are rhymically tapping their fingers. Drives me bonkers.

I spend an irrational amount of time worrying about where I am going to sit in an audience. I have embraced this one by going ridiculously early to every event to make sure I get just the right seat.

There are so many more, but those are just a few.

• Like 4

I cannot stand the word "panties."  The sound of the word make me :ack2:

Oh, me too!  We call them underoos most of the time, but I had a friend who always called them panties.  You wouldn't think they'd come up that much in conversation, but apparently they did with this friend.  We hardly ever see each other any more and I miss her, but not her choice of words for undergarments!

I am extremely ticklish and pain-sensitive.  Seriously, that's pretty much what I feel: tickles or pain.  I don't handle gentle caresses from my husband very well - he's been reflexively punched or kicked many, many times.  And when appendages fall asleep (quite often because I sit cross legged much of the time), they are quite painful.  "Pins and needles" to me means that I am unable to walk for about four minutes until it's gone, as I just can't bring myself to make it worse than it already is.

• Like 3

Ha! Vindication. I told Dh coffee smells like skunk. He thinks that's crazy. I don't like coffee.

I love curry powder on tons of stuff: popcorn, chicken salad, rice, apples. I thought it was weird because both my parents hate any kind of curry. I recently found out that when I was three they went to an Indian restaurant and hated the food, but they didn't leave because they had never seen me eat so much in my life, lol. They felt they got their money's worth. I never had curry again till I was grown up and left home.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 4