Menu

Pastor Saeed's wife posts this in her facebook

Chris in VA

So sad. I will be praying for their restoration.

"

Dearest Friends,

Saeed landed in Boise yesterday and had a wonderful reunion with the children. They will be spending more and more time together in the coming days. I am so happy for this long waited reunion and for the joy that I see in my children and in Saeed. Nothing can make me happier than seeing those whom I love be happy and free from the pain that they had been under for the last 3.5 years.

I am so thankful for the thousands of people who have responded to my pleas and helped work toward SaeedĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s release. His imprisonment was unjust, and was an extremely difficult ordeal for him and all of us who sought for his release. I worked tirelessly night and day toward that end for three-and-a-half years. Nothing has made me happier than seeing Saeed freed from his chains and in American soil. Thank you for all of you who stood with us and made this happen.

I do deeply regret that I hid from the public the abuse that I have lived with for most of our marriage and I ask your forgiveness. I sincerely had hoped that this horrible situation Saeed has had to go through would bring about the spiritual change needed in both of us to bring healing to our marriage.

Tragically, the opposite has occurred. Three months ago Saeed told me things he demanded I must do to promote him in the eyes of the public that I simply could not do any longer. He threatened that if I did not the results would be the end of our marriage and the resulting pain this would bring to our children.

I long more than anyone for reconciliation for our family and to be united as a family. Since Saeed's freedom I have wanted nothing more than to run to him and welcome him home It is something I dreamed about the last 3.5 years. But unfortunately things did not work out that way and our family has to work through reconciliation. I want our reconciliation to be strictly based on GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Word. I want us to go through counseling, which must first deal with the abuse. Then we can deal with the changes my husband and I must both make moving forward in the process of healing our marriage.

In very difficult situations sometimes you have to establish boundaries while you work toward healing. I have taken temporary legal action to make sure our children will stay in Idaho until this situation has been resolved. I love my husband, but as some might understand, there are times when love must stop enabling something that has become a growing cancer. We cannot go on the way it has been. I hope and pray our marriage can be healed. I believe in a God who freed Saeed from the worst prisons can hear our plea and bring spiritual freedom.

I love you all. God will see us through. Thank you for your prayers and support. We need them more than ever.

Love

Naghmeh"

The issue of her abuse broke 2-3 months before his release and was covered in Christianity Today and on a couple of blogs dealing with abuse within religious organizations.

What a terrible situation all around.  I'm glad he is free from his physical imprisonment.  It's a sad situation all around...but it sounds like there is still need for liberation from other kinds of imprisonments.  I hope things go well for this family as they work through all that is ahead of them. :0(

Oh, how very sad.  I was wondering why there were no pictures of them together when he returned, just his parents and a sibling.  I had seen her pleading for his release so many times but found it strange that there was no coverage of her reaction when he was released. I hope she finds peace with however things turn out for them. She sounds very strong at this time and I hope she continues to receive good counseling and support.

• Like 2

I want our reconciliation to be strictly based on GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Word. I want us to go through counseling, which must first deal with the abuse. Then we can deal with the changes my husband and I must both make moving forward in the process of healing our marriage.

I really hope that she is getting good counseling. The part that says they must first deal with the abuse is heartening. The second sentence is a little more worrisome to me. What changes does the victim of abuse need to make in the process of healing? That's the part where it can get sticky and end up with the victim assuming some culpability. She sounds like she is standing firm, though. 

• Like 2

I really hope that she is getting good counseling. The part that says they must first deal with the abuse is heartening. The second sentence is a little more worrisome to me. What changes does the victim of abuse need to make in the process of healing? That's the part where it can get sticky and end up with the victim assuming some culpability. She sounds like she is standing firm, though. 

Maybe that she tolerated it and she knows she can't do that anymore?

Or that she has a boyfriend!  Sorry I have an evil jaded mind.

• Like 1

Sounds like she has her head on straight and I'm glad she has a plan, and sad for her marriage. I hope he gets the help he needs as well, but it sounds like keeping him away from her and the kids is a good plan from what little we know.

Praying for them :(

You have to scroll down pretty far into this article to get to the specific story, but I don't know any better way to link it to the exact spot than to say that.  

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2015/11/20/naghmeh-abedini-wife-of-imprisoned-pastor-abedini-is-a-victim-of-domestic-abuse-while-owen-strachancbmw-reports-that-complementarians-handle-abuse-really-well/

Yes I can see that. sorry t offend.

I didn't think of this initially, but honestly I don't think the question is offensive at all.  IME it's frequent that an abused wife suddenly finds courage to leave an abusive man only when she's found another man.  Perhaps not in this case, perhaps she had enough forced separation she came to know herself again and was able to not make her identity all about his approval.   Not to blame the victim, but people who stay with abusers are making the choice to stay for reasons that seem right to them at the time. Oftentimes they realize it's not right when someone else is at least on the periphery.

To be clear, I've never been a victim of domestic violence, but I have had close family who were victims, and I have volunteered to help at shelters.

• Like 2

I didn't think of this initially, but honestly I don't think the question is offensive at all. IME it's frequent that an abused wife suddenly finds courage to leave an abusive man only when she's found another man. Perhaps not in this case, perhaps she had enough forced separation she came to know herself again and was able to not make her identity all about his approval. Not to blame the victim, but people who stay with abusers are making the choice to stay for reasons that seem right to them at the time. Oftentimes they realize it's not right when someone else is at least on the periphery.

To be clear, I've never been a victim of domestic violence, but I have had close family who were victims, and I have volunteered to help at shelters.

Yes you said what I was thinking but I had already irritated people....

• Like 1

I didn't think of this initially, but honestly I don't think the question is offensive at all.  IME it's frequent that an abused wife suddenly finds courage to leave an abusive man only when she's found another man.  Perhaps not in this case, perhaps she had enough forced separation she came to know herself again and was able to not make her identity all about his approval.   Not to blame the victim, but people who stay with abusers are making the choice to stay for reasons that seem right to them at the time. Oftentimes they realize it's not right when someone else is at least on the periphery.

I think you're right that a new relationship can help a woman find the courage to exit an existing abusive one.

But the fact that a woman is abused and seeks help doesn't entitle us to speculate about her.  Scarlett's question wasn't offensive because it out of the question, it's offensive because it has nothing to do with the question of whether she's doing the right thing by creating this distance, or whether she deserves our respect and support.  Part of that respect and support is allowing her the dignity that comes with being able to decide what to keep private.

The courage that it must have taken this woman to share what she did, and to simultaneously fight for her husband, is immense. I have immense admiration for her.  My wish is the she and her children find peace, whether in the context of the marriage or outside of it.  

• Like 7

I think you're right that a new relationship can help a woman find the courage to exit an existing abusive one.

But the fact that a woman is abused and seeks help doesn't entitle us to speculate about her.  Scarlett's question wasn't offensive because it out of the question, it's offensive because it has nothing to do with the question of whether she's doing the right thing by creating this distance, or whether she deserves our respect and support.  Part of that respect and support is allowing her the dignity that comes with being able to decide what to keep private.

The courage that it must have taken this woman to share what she did, and to simultaneously fight for her husband, is immense. I have immense admiration for her.  My wish is the she and her children find peace, whether in the context of the marriage or outside of it.  

Since when?  She's a public figure.  Perhaps she does not want to be any more, but she currently is.  And this is a message board, not a church.  We have just as much right to speculate about her as we do about any public figure, or anyone else in the news, or anyone else that we speculate about on this board.  I'd agree that it's not biblical to assume the worst of someone, but we have every right to speculate.

ETA:  Also, deciding whether she's "doing the right thing or not" is also speculation.  And message board responses where she isn't a member aren't challenging her dignity or privacy in any way.

Edited by Katy

I'm all about discussing public figures. I find it rather tacky that an abuse victim can't separate from her husband without people thinking it simply must be because she has another man in her life. Maybe three years of him in prison made her realize she couldn't go back to living that way again. Maybe she feels stronger because she's been making it on her own for this long and certainly doesn't need a man coming home to treat her badly after all she went through trying to free him.

• Like 17

Perhaps she has met another man. Maybe many men. And I don't mean like boyfriends.

Perhaps when he was home, most of her time was spent only with her husband and children. With him imprisoned, and her working towards his freedom, she's probably had to build support circles. That's possibly given her a window into the way other husbands and wives relate to each other - a way that may be distinctly different from her experience. Just a thought.

• Like 5

Victims of abuse often need to learn to find their voice. They also often benefit from techniques to let resentment not turn them into bitter people which is detrimental to anyone's mental health. Learning and healing does not mean she is culpable in any way and she would probably gain some sense of processing and progress if she did this even if they do not reconcile.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

Again with more speculation:

I find it entirely plausible that she would be faithful to him (no boyfriends), but that through the process of her physical separation from him due to his imprisonment, other kind and decent men (and women) from her church family and the community that has been working to secure his release would have come into her life, and as they walked her family through his absence, their behavior contrasted with his so starkly that it enabled her to have clarity about the abusive relationship.

As to why she waited to say anything so long, I can't imagine her doing anything that would change public goodwill toward him while he was still imprisoned, lest that diminish his chances of release. 

• Like 11

Since when?  She's a public figure.  Perhaps she does not want to be any more, but she currently is.  And this is a message board, not a church.  We have just as much right to speculate about her as we do about any public figure, or anyone else in the news, or anyone else that we speculate about on this board.  I'd agree that it's not biblical to assume the worst of someone, but we have every right to speculate.

ETA:  Also, deciding whether she's "doing the right thing or not" is also speculation.  And message board responses where she isn't a member aren't challenging her dignity or privacy in any way.

Yes, she is a public figure.

However, to be so quick to assume there is a boyfriend involved, and to bring that idea up in multiple posts, has the potential to do real harm.

There are women who read this board who are in abusive marriages. They might be working up the courage to leave. And now they read that some people will automatically assume (with no evidence whatsoever) that they are leaving because they have a boyfriend. Why add to their burden.

And possibly (but I hope not) there are people reading this board who will now have this idea planted ("oh, most women only leave abusive marriages if they have a boyfriend already lined up") and who will be less supportive of women they meet IRL who are leaving abusive marriages.

Setting aside the "whose mind goes there so immediately?" question, comments like these deserve to be challenged. People in abusive marriages need to know that most of us do not make assumptions like that and look askance at those who do.

• Like 19

I don't know her reasons for sharing about the abuse, but I don't find the only possible explanation being her wanting to lash out at him.

I only shared her FB post because I started a thread a little while ago about his release, and I mentioned the abuse then because I was rather stunned by the revelation of it. Some on that thread had questioned the veracity of her accusations--this FB post speaks to that.

If I were in the public eye so much, I'd probably start to think I owed the "masses" who had been praying for us for years some sort of explanation and update about our lives. I don't think she really does owe anyone that, but I could see her thinking that. And frankly, knowing what someone is going thru helps me pray for them; she is being quite vulnerable to disclose abuse in her marriage, and I am supportive of their healing.

Of course, this is not everyone's take, nor is it everyone's take on being vulnerable and sharing with others so they can pray. YMMV, as always.

• Like 6

Would people have considered hear a public figure before her husband was imprisoned?  I know I never heard her name.  Was she widely known outside her own denomination?  

I get the reasoning that if someone chooses a public lifestyle, e.g. by choosing a career as an actor, people will feel more entitled to speculate. I think that part of choosing a career like actor is choosing to give up your privacy to some degree.  

But choosing between being an actor and being a dentist, let's say, isn't like choosing between letting your husband rot in jail or fighting for his release.  I have trouble with the logic that choosing to fight for your husband means choosing to give up your privacy.  

• Like 9

You're right that she's not a public figure in the standard sense; her public work was all in an effort to secure her husband's release, and I commend her for her work. She didn't throw herself into the limelight for her own sake.

However, she has now publicly shared her husband's very troubling behavior in a very public manner. It will be impossible to walk away from that. As we always tell our kids, if you put it on the web, it will be forever on the web.

I applaud her for the difficult decision she's made to seek separation and help for her troubled marriage, and for what sounds like healthy and strong boundaries. I wince a little at the way she's put it out there for the world to read. On the one hand, it may help other women who are similarly stuck, as one pp mentioned. On the other hand, they have kids, and everyone the kids know will know about these private and painful issues. It's not the way I would handle it, but who am I to say how someone else should do it, kwim?

• Like 1

Apparently, the information she "shared" was sent only to her friends on FB.  One of the "friends" was the one who re-posted it.  So no, I don't think she's responsible for the escalation.  

As for whether she is a public figure or not, I don't know.  I will add this to the Info Stack:  I know there was a campaign on social media to write to the President and to congressmen and the Department of State to apply pressure to Iran to get her husband released from Iran.  I am not of her religious denomination, but I knew about his case and about the campaign through multiple FB friends from all over the country...so it wasn't a small, denominational effort.  Whether that makes someone a public person, I don't know. 

If anyone is interested, there is a discussion thread about this on The Wartburg Watch blog.  

IME, dealing with abusers is hard because they are so secretive. I just got done with helping a friend through a horrible custody battle with an abusive ex. He was soooo secretive. He took advantage of every effort she made to keep family affairs private to put his lies forward. Whoever tells the first story gets believed, most often. She needed to tell the truth first, before he put lies about her out there, because abusers make their ex's look crazy. That's what they do. She had to make a clear statement first, or he would make her look crazy and she would be in catch up mode forever. If she had been quiet and filed for a divorce or separation he was going to say, "she's a drunk" "she's crazy" "she's a bad mom" "she's a cheater", and because she was saying nothing and he was talking it would be very hard for her to be believed later. And he needed to be outed before he abused spiritual power over people as a pastor and really did damage to innocent people. Keeping an abuser's secrets is not classy. It enables them to hurt other people.

• Like 12

IME, dealing with abusers is hard because they are so secretive. I just got done with helping a friend through a horrible custody battle with an abusive ex. He was soooo secretive. He took advantage of every effort she made to keep family affairs private to put his lies forward. Whoever tells the first story gets believed, most often. She needed to tell the truth first, before he put lies about her out there, because abusers make their ex's look crazy. That's what they do. She had to make a clear statement first, or he would make her look crazy and she would be in catch up mode forever. If she had been quiet and filed for a divorce or separation he was going to say, "she's a drunk" "she's crazy" "she's a bad mom" "she's a cheater", and because she was saying nothing and he was talking it would be very hard for her to be believed later. And he needed to be outed before he abused spiritual power over people as a pastor and really did damage to innocent people. Keeping an abuser's secrets is not classy. It enables them to hurt other people.

My limited but heart wrenching experience causes me to completely agree with you. The best thing you can do for these people is start talking. They will often go to great lengths to avoid exposure of any kind, even and especially avoiding marriage counseling. It's a sick and twisted game. Truly, the most loving thing, if there is any hope for the marriage, is to stop enabling and start speaking up. 

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 3

I have a friend who left an abusive spouse. The thing she was told in counseling was that she should feel free to tell anyone why she was leaving. She did not need to protect him and the more honest she was, the more likely she was to find the support she needed within her community. I think it was a bit easier for her to stick to her decision because she had that support. 

I don't fault her at all for being honest about why she wasn't reuniting with him. She didn't give any details, just stated the basic fact that the relationship was abusive and she was taking care of herself and her kids. I wish her the best. 

• Like 19

I have a friend who left an abusive spouse. The thing she was told in counseling was that she should feel free to tell anyone why she was leaving. She did not need to protect him and the more honest she was, the more likely she was to find the support she needed within her community. I think it was a bit easier for her to stick to her decision because she had that support.

I don't fault her at all for being honest about why she wasn't reuniting with him. She didn't give any details, just stated the basic fact that the relationship was abusive and she was taking care of herself and her kids. I wish her the best.

I agree the reasons for leaving should not be kept secret.

Saeed Abedini was convicted of domestic abuse of some sort in 2007. Here's a full recounting at the Wartburg Watch: http://thewartburgwatch.com/2016/01/29/to-the-naghmeh-abedini-doubters-saeed-abedini-pled-guilty-to-domestic-violence-in-2007/comment-page-1/#comment-237299   Many of the comments are very insightful as well. 

• Like 2

I don't know her mind, but my first thought about why she released the information publicly is so she would have control over it.  

Let's be honest.  She's a figure in the public eye with ties to religion.  There are people out there who love nothing better than to dig up dirt on people of faith and point fingers at "hypocrites."  It would have come out eventually.  By telling people herself, she could say it the way she wanted to and not have it be some gotcha piece.  

• Like 1

I don't know her mind, but my first thought about why she released the information publicly is so she would have control over it.  

Let's be honest.  She's a figure in the public eye with ties to religion.  There are people out there who love nothing better than to dig up dirt on people of faith and point fingers at "hypocrites."  It would have come out eventually.  By telling people herself, she could say it the way she wanted to and not have it be some gotcha piece.  

Are you saying there would have been a "gotcha" toward her or toward her husband? Confused. 

My understanding (and I could be wrong about this) is that the initial "release" of information came after someone in her support group leaked an email she had written.

However, even if that had not happened,  she would have had to explain her sudden backing away from the incredible amount of public advocacy she was doing for him and then for why she and the children would not be present at the "reunion" at the Billy Graham Center. 

Can't be as bad as the cynic in me that is thinking this is someone most of the nation has prayed for and he's a total jerk.

He still should not have been imprisoned in Iran. Separate issue.