Menu

I would LOVE it if someone made us dinners and cleaned my bathrooms.

FloridaLisa

Oh man, I am so stretched these days -- staying up to wee hours, heading out nearly every day for basketball practice and basketball games.  I could really, really use someone to make dinners for us (I'd even do the cleanup) and keep my boys' bathroom clean.  :tongue_smilie:  Just those two thing would change my world. Or at least how orderly my world is. 

A girl can wish, right? 

I'm in a treading water with my house phase. I suspect January might look like this. LOL, what job would you love to hire out right now? 

Edited by FloridaLisa
  • Like 7

We all need Alice. Mrs Brady didn't even homeschool or have a job. What did she do?

Seriously! I know after Alice made sandwiches, Mrs. Brady put them in the paper bags and handed them off to kids happily skipping off to school for the day. She wore cute 70s outfits and bothered Mike in his study whenever she needed immediate kid advice.  :svengo:

Now I wanna go watch the Brady Bunch and pretend. :D

• Like 3

I lucked out-one of the teen girls in our homeschool group is on a competitive cheer team that is going to UCA nationals in Orlando in March-and her parents are making her earn part of the cost. So, she's cleaning houses to earn money :). She cleaned my downstairs for 3 hours yesterday, and got through a big chunk of it. I figure I can justify helping a kid raise funds for a trip for a few hours a week :). I got SO much done on the Star Wars music unit I'm writing while she was doing it, too!

• Like 8

We all need Alice. Mrs Brady didn't even homeschool or have a job. What did she do?

That was actually the norm for a middle class family in a good portion of the 20th century.  A lot of people had housekeepers/maids/etc.  They were often either people of color or immigrants.  

Women would volunteer and have clubs.  

Even women without kids, would often not have a job, and have a cleaning lady.

Sigh.  I remember my Mom wondering how on Earth I could handle four kids and a house with no help whatsoever.  Not even a weekly maid.  (I'd love to have one Mom, just can't afford it.) 

• Like 5

I just started a new money making venture from my home where I make meals every Thursday night to sell to the public. I post the menu for the month in advance and take a max of 10 orders each week. I've had the ad up on Facebook for 24 hours and have already had 10 orders for the month. I think there are lot of families out there who don't have time to cook a meal every night and must rely on fast food. One night a week I'm giving them the option to have homemade fast food!

• Like 13

Everything. For three months. Someone else come and do EVERYTHING. And I'll go to a comfy cabin in the woods somewhere with a big stack of books and netflix. I'll even cook and clean up after myself, but just myself--no one else! I took a good hard look around the house and realized that 80% of the mess isn't mine, yet somehow I'm supposed to keep up with all of it. And I'm just not wired to get any satisfaction out of that. I hate cleaning sooooooooooooo much. Soooooooooo much. And cooking. And I don't even particularly like teaching homeschool, it's just what I have to do. Don't love it or hate it. It's just sort of there.

So...three months alone in a cabin should recharge me.

ETA: Yes, I know, I know. Get the kids to clean their own messes, blah blah. But we are still at the stage where I tell them over and over and over and over (forEVER) to do the same things. Lists, no. Rewards, no. Consequences, no. From what I can tell from what people say about teaching kids to do things they hate doing, is that they'll only start cleaning when they're in their own homes and it's all their own stuff. And that's kinda how I was until I got my own place. Actually, until a couple of years after getting my own place. Took me a long time to start cleaning up because I hate it soooooooooooo much. And so do my kids.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 5

You need an instapot and people to take turns helping throw some meat and veggies in it on sports days! It turns to keep warm automatically, a true warm, people can scoop out stuff when they get home. It can work as a crock pot or pressure cooker, and has no lead!

Of course, Alice would be nice, too...

• Like 1

Carol Brady did not grocery shop. Alice did all that. If Alice didn't spend all that time with Sam the butcher the poor woman would have had nothing to break up her day of drudgery.

Carol volunteered and did pta stuff. In one of the very Brady xmas specials she had gotten her real estate license.

Hmm, maybe I spent too much time watching the Brady bunch.

I would love a 1950s wife. They greet you with a drink. Are always put together nicely, and the house is spotless.

• Like 2

It did seem like easy low-key stuff: PTA, Junior League, etc.  I can't help myself, but I do think it likely she actually had enough energy for TeA in the evenings!

• Like 4

Carol Brady did not grocery shop. Alice did all that. If Alice didn't spend all that time with Sam the butcher the poor woman would have had nothing to break up her day of drudgery.

Carol volunteered and did pta stuff. In one of the very Brady xmas specials she had gotten her real estate license.

Hmm, maybe I spent too much time watching the Brady bunch.

I would love a 1950s wife. They greet you with a drink. Are always put together nicely, and the house is spotless.

But their Valium and secret alcohol addiction can be a downer.

I want someone to come in at night and pick all the junk up and start with a fresh slate. I usually go to bed first and it looks decent (controlled chaos) then, but I hate coming down in the morning to a mess. I've asked nicely, pitched fits, no one changes.

• Like 3

But their Valium and secret alcohol addiction can be a downer.

I want someone to come in at night and pick all the junk up and start with a fresh slate. I usually go to bed first and it looks decent (controlled chaos) then, but I hate coming down in the morning to a mess. I've asked nicely, pitched fits, no one changes.

Yes, the addiction problem can be a bit of a downer but as long as my needs are met, who cares.  Shouldn't she be happy because I provide a beautiful home for her?  Wasn't that the prevailing thought at the time? 

Someone to pick up while I am sleeping would be nice.  I go up to a clean kitchen and come down in the morning to dishes in the sink from my dh's midnight forages.

• Like 1

To be fair, we all have servants these days as well - they're just mechanical and electronic! That's essentially what appliances are and they save enormous amounts of time and labor compared to their more rustic counterparts.

Still, they can't do everything by themselves ;)

While we're dreaming, I'd rather have a droid.  (And yes, to do dinner and bathrooms!)  I just don't want another human being in this space.  At least a droid can be turned off when they get on your nerves.  :hat:

So you want Rosie, the Jetson's house robot.

• Like 1

Everything. For three months. Someone else come and do EVERYTHING. And I'll go to a comfy cabin in the woods somewhere with a big stack of books and netflix. I'll even cook and clean up after myself, but just myself--no one else! I took a good hard look around the house and realized that 80% of the mess isn't mine, yet somehow I'm supposed to keep up with all of it. And I'm just not wired to get any satisfaction out of that. I hate cleaning sooooooooooooo much. Soooooooooo much. And cooking. And I don't even particularly like teaching homeschool, it's just what I have to do. Don't love it or hate it. It's just sort of there.

So...three months alone in a cabin should recharge me.

ETA: Yes, I know, I know. Get the kids to clean their own messes, blah blah. But we are still at the stage where I tell them over and over and over and over (forEVER) to do the same things. Lists, no. Rewards, no. Consequences, no. From what I can tell from what people say about teaching kids to do things they hate doing, is that they'll only start cleaning when they're in their own homes and it's all their own stuff. And that's kinda how I was until I got my own place. Actually, until a couple of years after getting my own place. Took me a long time to start cleaning up because I hate it soooooooooooo much. And so do my kids.

Garga,

You can laugh at my expense: My freshman son came home from college and in the middle of washing his plate after supper he stopped and said, "Wait. Why am I doing this? I'm not at the scholarship house!"  :huh:  :lol:  He's in a co-op scholarship house where all 14 boys clean their own dishes right after they use the kitchen. They clean (deep clean) every week. But that boy wanted to revert as soon as he was home! 

• Like 4

I want you, Quill. I will never forget the post I read where you painstakingly detailed the way you clean your shower. I was like WHOA! this gal knows how to clean a bathroom. It was very impressive and made me want you in my life.

So Quill, if you start cloning yourself, make extras and rent them out.  :D

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

DS 16 can't be in charge of at least one meal a week? He is certainly old enough to keep his bathroom clean, with younger brother's help. Yes, they have a lot to do BUT it is prep for adulthood for them to figure out how to fit in meal planning and prep and bathroom cleaning (even if it will not be as nicely done as if you had done it). You are Mom, not Maid.