Menu

Detective show suggestions

Haiku

Ugh.. my computer just ate what I wrote 2x.  UGh!!!!

Deep breathes....

Anyway,  Jeremy Brett is considered by many be *the* definitive Sherlock so watching the older ones is definitely worth it.

I wouldn't consider Broadchurch "suitable for kids" so I'm a bit stumped as to what you're looking for.   We definitely like our more intense and adult BritMysteries (Vera, Luther, Prime Suspect) but we also enjoy many mysteries we could watch with the kids:  Morse, Endevour,  Inspector Lewis, Unsuitable Job for a Woman, Blue Murder, The Last Detective, Jonathan Creek.

There's more, but I can't remember them and I don't want the computer to eat my reply a third time before hitting the post button

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider Broadchurch "suitable for kids" so I'm a bit stumped as to what you're looking for.   

I read about it, and it was described as not gory and not overly sexy. What is it that you consider not suitable for a 13 year old? (I'm genuinely curious, as I have not seen it. It looks good, though, so I will probably start watching it.)

Agreeing with Princess Mommy on Broadchurch. It's rather dark. That said, I would have allowed ds to watch it at 13 if he was into detective shows. It's going to depend on the teen's level of sensitivity.

I also second Inspector Lewis, Endeavor, and Midsomer Murders. If you can get Canadian or Australian shows, try Murdock Mysteries (Canada) and Miss Fisher (Australia). 

A few other British possibilities if you can find them (not sure who shows them anymore) are Rosemary and Thyme, Murder in Suburbia, and Death in Paradise.

For throwback crime shows there's Agatha Christie's Poirot and Agatha Christie's Marple. 

Oh, The Last Detective (bonus - it stars the 5th Doctor).

Life on Mars can be a bit dark and involves time travel (Maybe. That's part of the mystery), but if she'll watch Broadchurch then she'd be fine with Life on Mars. 

Here's a list of British detective shows, though it doesn't tell you what ones are available in the U.S.

New Tricks might not appeal to her since the whole premise is that older, retired detectives come back to work to solve cold cases. If she doesn't care if the actors are young, she might like this one. Much of it is on Hulu. 

We've watched most shows on Netflix and Acorn TV, with two on Hulu, and one or two on Amazon. 

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 1

I love both Inspector Lewis and Endeavor. Then there is Inspector Morse, which is old school and imo not as good, but the predecessor of both of those.

Oh, Broadchurch. I am halfway through season 2 on Netflix and taking a break. It is well-done, but really depressing in a way that most mysteries are not - like soul-sucking - not a kind reflection on human nature.

My number one recommendation, which I binge watched I loved so much, is Death in Paradise. Bletchley Circle, maybe?

I am not sure I would label any of them, including Sherlock, as strictly suitable for kids, by the way. I probably would let them watch, but would want to be there. And Broadchurch I would think twice about, not because of content exactly, but because it is so disquieting.

ETA

What about Wallander? There is both the original scandinavian and the english remake with Kenneth Branagh. I haven't seen enough to know if it's suitable, although I understnad it got good reviews.

Rosemary & Thyme isn't super imo, but it is probably the most milque-toast, suitable for kids?

I definitely recommend against The Fall. I took a break from that too. Similar to Broadchurch plus less appropriate for kids I would say.

Edited by debi21
  • Like 1

I hated Sherlock, so I quit watching it. I was VERY surprised that my dd loves it. She is definitely the kind of kid who won't watch something if it ends up not being suitable for her. She knows her limits and has quit watching some things her brother watched, mostly ghost story stuff, because she gets too nervous. So if she begins to watch Broadchurch and doesn't like it, she'll stop watching. She has turned shows off mid-episode before.

I had already put Bletchly Circle in the queue for me, so I suggested it to dd as well. We went through the Netflix Instant Watch suggestions that were "similar to" Poirot, which I put in the queue for her, and added some of things mentioned in this thread that she thinks look interesting.

My dd is small and less socially mature than lots of other kids her age, in that she's not into the "teen" types of stuff that many other kids in the homeschool group are, although in other ways she's very mature. I have always thought of her as younger than she is, but in the past few months she has started to look and behave more maturely. I tend to be over-protective of what my kids are exposed to, so I'm trying to slowly allow more decision making on their parts even if it's not something I'm totally comfortable with. I wasn't really into her watching Sherlock, as I find Benedict Cumberbatch's character extremely disturbing, but my dh watched it with her, and like I said, she loved it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and caveats!

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
  • Like 1

Not BBC but is on Netflix currently: Blue Bloods. From what I have seen, there is virtually no cursing or nudity so far (Season 3). Set in New York, modern day scenarios.

For something different, try to find the Dorothy Sayers books that were made into films: Gaudy Night and Strong Poison.

Agreeing on Broadchurch--good but dark. Probably harder emotionally for a mom to watch than a kid. OTOH it moves slooooowly and a lot of the story and character development is expressed non-verbally, through actions and facial cues--some might find it a bit boring.

Seconding Death in Paradise, Midsomer Murders, Endeavor and Lewis.

• Like 1

Broadchurch is really good, but very dark. The themes are very mature. My personal favorite is Inspector Lewis.

Yes, very dark and disturbing.  And the actual crime is shown in the last episode, enough to be more disturbing, because you are so invested, but you have to watch because you've gotten that far.  

On its plus side, the characters are incredibly real and the cinematography is beautiful.  I've haven't suggested it to my 18yo yet, but he specifically asks for "not too depressing."

I loved Life on Mars, but I wouldn't recommend it to a non-adult.  The language and violence are quite intense, and if I'm not mistaken a couple of less than subtle sex scenes.  I cringed lots, but when we finished both series, it was worth every single minute.  (Can't wait 'til ds can sit through the whole thing!)

I love both Inspector Lewis and Endeavor. Then there is Inspector Morse, which is old school and imo not as good, but the predecessor of both of those.

Oh, Broadchurch. I am halfway through season 2 on Netflix and taking a break. It is well-done, but really depressing in a way that most mysteries are not - like soul-sucking - not a kind reflection on human nature.

My number one recommendation, which I binge watched I loved so much, is Death in Paradise. Bletchley Circle, maybe?

I am not sure I would label any of them, including Sherlock, as strictly suitable for kids, by the way. I probably would let them watch, but would want to be there. And Broadchurch I would think twice about, not because of content exactly, but because it is so disquieting.

ETA

What about Wallander? There is both the original scandinavian and the english remake with Kenneth Branagh. I haven't seen enough to know if it's suitable, although I understnad it got good reviews.

Rosemary & Thyme isn't super imo, but it is probably the most milque-toast, suitable for kids?

I definitely recommend against The Fall. I took a break from that too. Similar to Broadchurch plus less appropriate for kids I would say.

I'm just going to pretend you didn't say that.  ;) 

Morse is my absolute favourite character on BritMystery... only replaced slightly by Vera (another curmudgeon detective).  I'm such a Morse fan that I get a bit weepy when I hear the theme song. 

We didn't like Rosemary & Thyme either.  don't know why as I like both actresses.

Wallander is kind of bleak as well.  It is very well-done, but I am not sure it would appeal to young teens.  It was my late-night viewing when I couldn't sleep and I was hooked, but it did have a bleak outlook. 

What about Father Brown mysteries?  I also love Foyle's War.  Some hinting at adult content, but not much violence or sex shown on screen. 

• Like 3

I would not suggest Broadchurch - dark themes and threats to children.

I enjoy Inspector Gently, Lewis, Endeavour, Foyle's War.  They can all move into adult themes, but it's usually not explicit.  

I'm having fun rewatching the Peter Wimsey series on Youtube, the ones with Petherbridge and Walters in the lead roles.  You would be looking for Strong Poison, then Have His Carcase and Gaudy Night.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

British Crime series I really like that haven't been mentioned yet include: A Touch of Frost, Inspector Lynley Mysteries, Grantchester, Danziel and Pascoe. Obviously, there are going to be some episodes with subject matter that may not be suitable for teens.

Another British police series that is very safe for teens is Heartbeat.  

It isn't British but I would recommend Numb3rs.  It is on Netflix.  I am currently re-binge watching this one and I like it a lot.  It is not gory and it has strong characters plus they use math to solve crimes, although admittedly I have no idea if the math is even remotely sound because most of what they talk about is way over my head.  

• Like 1

Father Brown Mysteries and Grantchester.   Both BBC, both perido pieces.  

And in one Father Brown I absolutely cracked up when a patient at a mental hospital says to Father Brown "My dad's a wizard.  Are YOU a wizard?"  And he replies "Yes I am a wizard!"

Father Brown is played by the same actor as Arthur Weasley, so yes, yes he is a wizard!

• Like 3

What about Father Brown mysteries? 

I like Fr Brown but I would say that I think older versions are better than the most recent one.  It seemed heavy handed to me and left out come of the distinctive themes.

Generally:

People have mentioned many of the great ones - Poirot, Morse, Endevour, Cadfael, Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett.

Midsomer Murders is a nice cozy one, not hard-hitting but very family friendly.

Other thoughts are Cracker (the UK one, NOT the American one,) or Twin Peaks if you think it is appropriate.

I think Broadchurch might be hard for a 13 year old. 

I also don't like Murdoch Mysteries, which makes me feel disloyal as a Canadian.  For Canadian content I would probably suggest DeVinci's Inquest, although it has more of a procedural/police drama feel.

Arthur and George is a nice mini-series with Arthur Conan Doyle as the detective - its based on a true story.

You might try anything from P.D James - particularly the Dagliesh ones, there are several versions and some appeal more than others.  Death Comes to Pemberly is also not bad.

The Escape Artist with David Tennant is good, but I can't remember if it is ok for younger viewers.

Case Histories, set in Edinburgh, is quite good.

Father Brown Mysteries and Grantchester.   Both BBC, both perido pieces.  

And in one Father Brown I absolutely cracked up when a patient at a mental hospital says to Father Brown "My dad's a wizard.  Are YOU a wizard?"  And he replies "Yes I am a wizard!"

Father Brown is played by the same actor as Arthur Weasley, so yes, yes he is a wizard!

Oh, I forgot Grantchester!  THose are really good.

Loved Grantchester, can't wait for the next season. There's nothing quite like the new Sherlock that I've come across but as a huge mystery tv/book fan these are the ones I liked.

Most of these have probably been mentioned already....

Inspector Lewis,

Midsomer,

Vera, 

Foyles War 

George Gently

Death in Paradise (it's supposed to be light-hearted/witty, but I cried at the end of season 2/beginning of season 3.  It took me awhile before I was willing to continue but it was worth it)

On Acorn and might be on Netflix 

Hinterland

Vexed

Brokenwood

Field of Blood (not as bad as it sounds)

Chasing Shadows

Book recommendations... I was reminded of Flavia DeLuce recently from another thread, if your DD likes to read at all? these are excellent mystery books featuring an 11-13 year old girl who uses Chemistry and such to solve crime.  Not Juvenile (lots of us grown ups read the series) but still very appropriate for a young teen.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

I loved Quincy, Perrry Mason, Father Dowling Mysteries, Murder She Wrote, and Columbo.

Numb3rs is very good. Castle is fun, but the last two seasons were not very good. White Collar was very good, but we never watched the last two seasons.

Elementary is great, but I wasn't watching it with a kid mind. My youngest is 17yo now. We think it's way better than Sherlock.

Psych was good at first, but we got tired of it after a few seasons.

Monk was very good, but it made my oldest upset. She has OCD and she thought the show made light of it. I thought it did pretty much portray how it completely took over his life. By the last season I just wanted it to be over because I didn't want anything else to happen to the poor guy. She thought they made it look almost cute. It's different when you are suffering from it and it is an ever present feature of your life.

Edited:

I wasn't sure that Father Brown Mysteries was the right name for the show I liked, so I looked it up on youtube. The one that I liked was Father Dowling Mysteries. The priest was the same guy who was the dad on Happy Days. I've never seen Father Brown Mysteries. I fixed it in my list above.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I haven't read everyone else's so I'm sure I'm repeating some.  Some of our favorites (not in order) are:

Foyle's War

White Collar

Maigret (with Michael Gambon)

Forever

The Mentalist

Psyche

Monk

River (though maybe not for children)

Pushing Daisies

I quit watching Bletchly Circle early on. It was too intense and the brief scenes of violence were too disturbing. It was weird actually, because it was mostly mild, and then suddenly you'd see this terrified woman being tortured by a serial killer. Hated that.

I watched River a few weeks ago and I think it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Loved it! It was such a tender, beautiful look at mental illness and love. It is one long treatise on grief, and while I normally avoid sad things, this was sad in a life-affirming way if that makes sense. I sobbed like a baby. I can't remember anything really inappropriate for a young teen, but it's hard for me to think about it through teen eyes.

She's going to be hard-pressed to find anything as good as Sherlock IMO.

• Like 1