Menu

flank steak (trying to lighten the mood here)

SparklyUnicorn

I notice a lot of these meal planning services love to recommend flank steak.  They claim it's inexpensive.  No way. It's about $9 a pound here IF I can even find it.  Most of the time I can't. 

I don't think I have an actual point.  So feel free to discuss whatever you want.  Maybe cupcakes or something.

• Like 1

Yeah, "inexpensive" is definitely a relative term. It's not inexpensive to me.

Same with short ribs. I see short rib recipes in the "cheap family food" sort of articles.   What?   I can't list a price for it because I don't remember, because I've given up looking at it.

• Like 1

Yeah, "inexpensive" is definitely a relative term. It's not inexpensive to me.

Same with short ribs. I see short rib recipes in the "cheap family food" sort of articles.   What?   I can't list a price for it because I don't remember, because I've given up looking at it.

So true.  I love short ribs, but holy cow so expensive.  And there isn't much meat on them.

Talking of expensive, there is a huge Whole Foods store close to me and whenever I go there, I walk once around with my cart, and I would notice that I already have $75+ worth of items - and the joke is that all that I might have would be a small bottle of vitamin supplements and a small bottle of omega 3 oil or something like that - I would not even have begun to look at grocery or snacks or produce or the beauty products and hand lotions etc. People in my area call it the Whole Paycheck!

• Like 2

I love flank steak!  But it's definitely not a budget-friendly cut of meat. Sam's Club discount is the only time I buy it, which works out great because there are usually two in the package, so one gets put away for another time.

Many years ago we discovered pork tenderloin, and it quickly became my favorite cut of meat to prepare because it was cheap and I could do so much with it.  Then suddenly every cooking show and food magazine started touting the many merits of inexpensive pork tenderloin and the price shot WAY up. 

• Like 5

Even though I'm Team Cupcake, I don't like cupcakes. It's true. They're just mini cakes and I don't like cake. Also true. Except coffee cake, the kind with crumbs on top. And brownies. Cake brownies are awesome and I'll choose them over fudge brownies every time.

I've never seen cheap flank steak around here.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 2

I only get steak if I can price-match. 
I love steak. Strangely enough, I only started liking meat when I was pregnant and it's had a lasting effect. I was a vegetarian for years before that. 

My absolute favorite steak is a Del Rio ribeye from Colton's Steakhouse. A nice, big ribeye with "rubbed with bold Southwest spices, topped with ancho chipotle butter and Onion Tanglers.  I'm drooling now.

Flank steak is high-end, here.  I buy the cheaper stuff most of the time.  My absolute favorite cookbook has a recipe for beef soup in which I use the cheapest family pack of "steak".  You brown mushrooms and onions, and then you layer in wine and tomato paste and soy sauce... it is flippin' fantastic.  The cookbook is called The Science of Good Cooking and you should all get one for Christmas.

Also, I'm making banana bread in little pint-capacity pyrex containers.  They look like huge muffins and my house smells fantastic.  We have done no school today.  :P

Flank steak is high-end, here.  I buy the cheaper stuff most of the time.  My absolute favorite cookbook has a recipe for beef soup in which I use the cheapest family pack of "steak".  You brown mushrooms and onions, and then you layer in wine and tomato paste and soy sauce... it is flippin' fantastic.  The cookbook is called The Science of Good Cooking and you should all get one for Christmas.

Also, I'm making banana bread in little pint-capacity pyrex containers.  They look like huge muffins and my house smells fantastic.  We have done no school today.  :p

Sounds good except I can't eat onions.  So it might not be quite the same.  I might be able to sub in fennel or something though.

I have a really cool book I bought recently.  It's called The Food Lab.  What a fun book!

• Like 1

I bought mahi mahi all the time in Mexico because it was fresh, local, and cost about $3/pound. That is the only place I have ever bought it because it's so expensive in the US. Skirt steak was super popular there too and it cost about $6/pound, marinated and ready to grill for arrachera. I'm not really a steak person though and I almost never bought meat there.

I'm looking through a vegetable cookbook right now before I have to return it to the library.

Hanger steaks, people, hanger steaks.

Disclaimer: I don't eat meat. However, I do prepare it for people, and a butcher at whole foods mentioned it once. Sometimes a store will have it, sometimes you have to order it, sometimes the butcher laughs at you because he's never heard of it, but it's common in Europe and apparently excellent (so I've been told). Also, it's cheap, maybe because it's not steak-shaped. It's something like 2"x2"x10"

• Like 3

Hanger steaks, people, hanger steaks.

Disclaimer: I don't eat meat. However, I do prepare it for people, and a butcher at whole foods mentioned it once. Sometimes a store will have it, sometimes you have to order it, sometimes the butcher laughs at you because he's never heard of it, but it's common in Europe and apparently excellent (so I've been told). Also, it's cheap, maybe because it's not steak-shaped. It's something like 2"x2"x10"

Never seen hanger steak in the store.  i checked three (that deliver).  Nope. 

• Like 1

When I was a kid in the 70s flank steak was inexpensive. I haven't purchased flank steak since I was first married over 20 years ago due to price increases.

I do love flank steak, though. Such fond memories.

Beef has become a luxury item around here.

I made a flank steak once with a marinade. The way to prepare it was criss-cross knife scores into the surface, then pour on the marinade and leave it for several hours. It was so delicous, but I lost the recipe! I don't know where it came from - maybe it was a library book - but I haven't made it since.

I have never bought flank steak individually, Ii have only had it because it was part of the quater steer we bought from 4-hers.

I made a flank steak once with a marinade. The way to prepare it was criss-cross knife scores into the surface, then pour on the marinade and leave it for several hours. It was so delicous, but I lost the recipe! I don't know where it came from - maybe it was a library book - but I haven't made it since.

I have never bought flank steak individually, Ii have only had it because it was part of the quater steer we bought from 4-hers.

My go-to marinade for flank steak is olive oil, balsamic vineagar, soy sauce, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and maybe a tiny bit of brown sugar.  I don't measure, though.  :/

• Like 1

Ten years ago, it WAS inexpensive! We used to grill it at least every two weeks. But I don't know what happened, the price seemed to skyrocket over night. I once asked the butcher and he told me it had become popular and that there was not much flank steak cut from each side of beef - supply and demand - the price went up.

I'm thinking there was some food network show that featured flank steak that ruined it for the rest of us!

You got me with your title!! Not an easy day over here, so I was wondering how steak could have a heavy mood. Not sure exactly what I was thinking :)

I don't think we've had flank steak (and we are big meat eaters), dh always buys it. I've heard tri tip and other cuts, not flank. No cupcakes for me, but coffee, rum, or carrot cake? Yum! Or lemon cheesecake or pie. Or pumpkin bread. Hmmm...now I want dessert ;)

• Like 1

I noticed the same thing. I do like Flank steak but I can't stomach the price for it. I might as well pay another $2 a pound and buy good steak.  They also said that the chuck roast was cheap. On sale chuck roast is about $4.50/lb normally here. I don't consider that "cheap."  Chicken at $1.99/lb or pork at the same price maybe.

Maybe these "cheaper" cuts of meat--the flank and skirt steaks, and chuck roasts, have become more popular and are more expensive as a result???

ETA: skirt steak and flank steak are not the same, btw  Credit to Alton Brown

Have you all found any cuts of meat that are beef that are worth my trying under $6/lb??

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I noticed the same thing. I do like Flank steak but I can't stomach the price for it. I might as well pay another $2 a pound and buy good steak.  They also said that the chuck roast was cheap. On sale chuck roast is about $4.50/lb normally here. I don't consider that "cheap."  Chicken at $1.99/lb or pork at the same price maybe.

Maybe these "cheaper" cuts of meat--the flank and skirt steaks, and chuck roasts, have become more popular and are more expensive as a result???

I've noticed that beef in general has just gotten expensive.  Chicken is relatively cheap.  Pork isn't too bad either. 

I don't buy beef that often because I'm the only one who eats it, but I like it once in awhile.  I love chuck roast, but only if it goes on sale.

• Like 1

Just bought NY Strip for $6.99 lb. What would you do with it?

I bought some montreal steak seasoning and was going to grill it but...boring, no?

I hate you! Strip here is $14 a pound or so, from everywhere but Costco.

For Costco shoppers:  there is a huge hunk of meat - I think it's called Round Tip roast, maybe? - that is cheap and pretty good. We cut some of it into steaks and use some for a roast.  It's not the very. best steak out there, but in my house, it's better than no steak.  I can't remember the cost last time I bought it, but it was less than $5 a pound, maybe even less than $4.  Obvs it's not grass-fed beef.