Menu

Another attack on Paris, multiple fatalities

Laurie

USA Today is currently reporting at least 46 killed, around 100 being held hostage. 

ETA: In addition to places mentioned previously, there are also now reports of shootings at a mall or shopping area (Les Halles) and (possibly) an art gallery of the Louvre. 

An ongoing situation that is, obviously, only going to get worse. :mellow:

I know it' s too early for details, but I wonder if the attacks are related to a well known ISIS terrorist's recent (yesterday, I believe) death? He was from London and the military behind his death was US, but still. There have been some other recent advancements that have brought signficant damage such as US air strikes targeting ISIS oil revenues recently, as well.  

I'm so saddened by this news. 

I know it' s too early for details, but I wonder if the attacks are related to a well known ISIS terrorist's recent (yesterday, I believe) death? He was from London and the military behind his death was US, but still. There have been some other recent advancements that have brought signficant damage such as US air strikes targeting ISIS oil revenues recently, as well.

I doubt it. Attacks of this magnitude probably took more than one day to coordinate.

So, so awful. :(

• Like 7

It could be, but it seems like a lot of planning went into it so at the very least they would have had to have everything ready and standing by for some kind of trigger. And the terrorist was as you said from London and the Americans are the ones who killed him so Paris seems an odd target.

There's a cycle in which terrorists provoke attacks and the the resulting crackdowns are used to recruit more angry and disconnected people to the cause. Perhaps they were concerned about losing numbers/momentum after yesterday's killing of the ISIS terrorist?

• Like 4

I hope LE agencies here are ramping up...DC, NYC, LA, Chicago...all our big cities need to be on guard...

I don't want more pointless security theater, as we had after 9/11. It's one thing to have some extra security, discreet, if there's a credible threat, but I don't want more cops and all doing nothing but twiddling their thumbs and ending the message to BE AFRAID. I think in the long run, that's actually harmful. But this thread may not be the time or place to discuss that.

• Like 10

My first thought was that france has taken in a lot of the refugees.... and while there are definitely refugees who need help and safety in that group, there are far too many people in that group who aren't refugees as well.  Only a small percentage of refugees have been from at risk, war torn areas, the rest coming from safer areas, not sure of the accuracy of that, but certainly there's some opportunistic people jumping at the chance to get into a western country 'freely', and some with poor intentions sneaking in. Even if the numbers are drasticly skewed, it only takes a half dozen ISIS members getting into france as 'refugees' to cause this.

The whole situation is so hard and messy... 

• Like 6

My first thought was that france has taken in a lot of the refugees.... and while there are definitely refugees who need help and safety in that group, there are far too many people in that group who aren't refugees as well.  Only a small percentage of refugees have been from at risk, war torn areas, the rest coming from safer areas, not sure of the accuracy of that, but certainly there's some opportunistic people jumping at the chance to get into a western country 'freely', and some with poor intentions sneaking in. Even if the numbers are drasticly skewed, it only takes a half dozen ISIS members getting into france as 'refugees' to cause this.

The whole situation is so hard and messy... 

Links to verifiable sources here?

• Like 5

That's my concern as well. They're running from Isis, too.

Actually the vast majority interviewed have been economic refugees first and foremost. Not nearly as many have been political or religious as first assumed.

Both WSJ and NYT have reported on this.

Links to verifiable sources here?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3240010/Number-refugees-arriving-Europe-soars-85-year-just-one-five-war-torn-Syria.html

I don't know about verifiable, it IS the daily mail, but common sense says that even if the numbers are totally skewed there is going to be some element of truth to it. Human nature means people will try to take advantage of a situation, and the governments can only sort and vet people so much in a crisis time like this.

• Like 3

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3240010/Number-refugees-arriving-Europe-soars-85-year-just-one-five-war-torn-Syria.html

I don't know about verifiable, it IS the daily mail, but common sense says that even if the numbers are totally skewed there is going to be some element of truth to it. Human nature means people will try to take advantage of a situation, and the governments can only sort and vet people so much in a crisis time like this.

Some real statistics for you.  I think Daily Mail can at times be wrongly maligned, but technically they are not a good source. While it's possible there could be ISIS hiding out in the refugees to find a way in to do damage, the fact is they're pretty good at doing that via much more comfortable means instead of hanging out starving in refugee camps.  They have money.  Why would they hide out?  I think it's even sadder for the Syrian refugees if they don't get help because of a few cuckoos in the nest there to malign starving, devastated populations.  There were Tory sympathizing spies in America during the Revolution, that doesn't mean we didn't need or deserve to help our fellow humans. 

http://data.unhcr.org/syrianrefugees/regional.php

12 million Syrians have fled their homes because of conflict; half are children.

• Violence: Since the Syrian civil war began, more than 240,000 people have been killed, including 12,000 children. One million more have been wounded or permanently disabled. The war has become more deadly since foreign powers joined the conflict.
  • Collapsed infrastructure: Within Syria, healthcare, education systems, and other infrastructure have been destroyed; the economy is shattered. An estimated 4.8 million people are in areas of Syria that are difficult to access because of the conflict. It’s hard for aid groups to reach them.
  • Children’s safety: Syrian children — the nation’s hope for a better future — have lost loved ones, suffered injuries, missed years of schooling, and witnessed violence and brutality. Warring parties forcibly recruit children to serve as fighters, human shields, and in support roles, according to the U.S. State Department.
  • - See more at: http://www.worldvision.org/news-stories-videos/syria-war-refugee-crisis#sthash.y6tc9FVI.dpuf
  • Like 11

As you said it IS the Daily Mail.  http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/11/mike-huckabee/huckabee-most-syrian-refugees-are-not-syrian-free-/

• Like 2