Menu

Another attack on Paris, multiple fatalities

Laurie

Any WTM folks in Paris?

Ever so thankful my sister snd her fiance are back in Caen. They were in Paris just six days ago. The borders are closed, and she is supposed to be coming home to take care of mom and dad on Dec. 8. If they have it sorted out by then and she gets to come home, I will be hugging her extra hard.

• Like 3

Oh my gosh. I'm glad you got a fast update. I suppose it's unlikely he would have been out, but how scary.

Well, we called them. DH said, it's almost midnight but I thought the parents would be awake, which of course they were. We had no idea until people were texting us asking if boy was at soccer game.
  • Like 6

Was driving all afternoon and just saw this.

:( :( :(

Praying for everybody.  It is so scary.  I hate that even watching the news, the terrorists are winning in that I'm terrified by their actions.  I hate that.  I hate that they're going to win by France being more divided.... by people having more suspicion, more mistrust.   I hope for justice for the people of France and all of those affected by this and other terrorist attacks....not only in this life, but in the next life (afterlife) too.

• Like 6

I kind of think that ISIS is the new Al Qaeda in terrorism brands.  Everybody claims to be affiliated with them, because it gives them more press, is a more powerful "Brand" than just random group.  Al Qaeda is passe.  ISIS is the new.  Hard to believe, but even more crazy, more evil.  You know it's bad when Al Qaeda and Hezbollah call your actions unIslamic.  But, of course, with an attack so multifaceted, these people were obviously connected in some way, and ISIS is a likely suspect.

• Like 6

Anyone else afraid the violence in the middle east will spread into Europe or result in fascism?

Violence already has spread. These terrorist attacks are part of that conflict. Facism? Yes, from the far right in response to the tensions due to the attacks, and increased numbers of immigrants.

• Like 8

Regarding the Lebanon bombings by Daesh/ISIS the day before, please know the name of one of the heroes, Adel Termos.  He was out with his daughter and tackled the second suicide bomber....saving hundreds of lives.  Some reports say that his daughter also died in the attack.  

http://stateofmind13.com/2015/11/13/adel-termos-the-lebanese-hero-of-the-borj-el-barajneh-terrorist-attacks/

http://stateofmind13.com/2015/11/13/adel-termos-the-lebanese-hero-of-the-borj-el-barajneh-terrorist-attacks/

• Like 17

So sad, I've been following a bit skimming the news, but am trying to hold together because there is so much on our family's plate today.  Trying to keep it a mental box.  Then I went to order something quickly on amazon and hit their home page and somehow it made it 9/11 real  :(

ISIS has claimed the attacks.  There is zero chance this was specifically in response to killing "Jihadi John" the day before as a pp wondered.  This has been being planned for some time.  It's a response to everything, really.  These extremists will attack wherever they see an opening and ability.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34820016

Violence already has spread. These terrorist attacks are part of that conflict. Facism? Yes, from the far right in response to the tensions due to the attacks, and increased numbers of immigrants.

That was my thought. There is not question about whether it will spread. It already has. Repeatedly.

As for fascism. It is concerning. I'm not sure how concerning. Honestly, the response so far to these acts of terrorism and the refugee problems has been fairly soft comparatively to historical reactions to similiar situations. And it has to be balanced with the reality that these terror groups are actively and successfully recruiting western young people to do their work from within these countries. I'm not sure how to combat that, but it seems obvious to me that it must be combated.

I have theories, but there's no way to discuss that without it being way too political and religious related to post on this board.

• Like 2

It's regrettable that Syrian refugees are likely to be blamed, as a group, for enabling the entry of ISIL terrorists.  Yet, ISIL forces are precisely what the refugees were trying to flee.

The thing is, this attack was so carefully organized and coordinated, my immediate suspicion is that this has been planned for some time - possibly pre-dating the recent surges of refugees.  These may have been actual French citizens, who had been radicalized.  Minnesota has had some recent experience of this with its Somali population (who started coming over int he 1990's) being targeted by ISIL for radicalization.  The FBI recently foiled a plot involving several young men who were attempting to fly over to Syria for just that purpose.  

If it was French citizens, immigrants or not, they would have had entry to the country in any case.  If it was a case of recent infiltration of ISIL terrorists among the refugees/ immigrants, I expect there will be very targeted pressure on that entire population.  France unapologetically sent the Roma packing a few years ago; I'm wondering if this recent tragedy becomes the impetus behind a much larger forced exodus at some point.

Anyone else care to speculate what the possible ends might be?

• Like 2

Well, that didn't take long, did it?

ETA: This article from a few weeks ago indicated that facism was already on the rise throughout Europe in response to the immigration issue. The whole situation over there is especially fragile now, I'm sure.

Even before the immigration issue it was in the rise due to severe austerity measures in some countries. Golden dawn in Greece for example has been quite concerning for some time now.

Even before the immigration issue it was in the rise due to severe austerity measures in some countries. Golden dawn in Greece for example has been quite concerning for some time now.

Yes, along with anti-immigration fervor, which has been building especially in some Scandinavian countries for at least a decade or more. It's been on the rise, and I expect that such sentiments have been whipped into a frenzy with the most recent attack.

I'm honestly relieved I don't live in Europe right now.

• Like 1

Just updating with an open letter re: Paris from Hamza Yusuf, a very influential Islamic scholar and leader, and President of the local Islamic university, Zaytuna College. Zaytuna is a classical university, so naturally he uses a reference to Aeschylus, which makes it relevant to the discussion boards.  ;)

Open letter

• Like 3