Menu

Got pulled over by police today - most ridiculous reason ever

Ginevra

Mostly I'm just irritated because I was very close on time, was out of fuel, and really did not need the delay. I saw this cop for several minutes before he decided to pull me over. I swear he was looking for something to do. So, it took him a few minutes to state his reason for pulling me over. He asked me several questions about my headlights. He had pulled me over because they are "too bright" and he thought I had my hi-beams on. I didn't. He did not issue me a service order, but he told me I "should" go have them looked at. What? I'm going to make an appointment at a mechanic, have no paperwork, but tell the mechanic one officer in seven years of driving this car told me my lights are too bright? Oh, sure, let me hurry off to make that useless and wasteful appointment...

• Like 11

Ugh.  Who has time for that?

Funny thing, I was just thinking of starting a thread on the dumbest reasons for getting a ticket.  Someone posted on my facebook this morning that she got a ticket for throwing out a cigarette butt.  (Gross, but yeah, cops must not be very busy.)  And I've had a few really dumb tickets.  It seems like something that would be fun to vent about.  :)

As for being slowed down, I have a little petty vent today.  I was in a hurry to get to the library so I could intercept my kids' passport applications before they went out in the mail.  I needed to add a couple of items.  So, kind of important.  I had enough time.  But, then I got stopped behind the handicapped school bus.  Which I wouldn't mind, except this particular bus keeps its red lights on for 10+ minutes each time, including at least 5 minutes after the rider is on the bus.  I guess it takes that long to strap him in or whatever, but couldn't she shut the lights off so traffic could resume?  Then it turned out that I had to follow the same bus almost all the way to the library.  Thankfully it only made one other stop during that time.  Whew.  Stressful.

• Like 1

Sounds like that wasn't the reason. 

Maybe your car fit the description of another suspected of being involved in a crime.

Perhaps he pulls over someone else with the same make & model of vehicle frequently and finds them guilty of something and thought you'd switched your plates.

Maybe he caught a whiff of what smelled like drugs as you passed and he thought he should check it out.

Perhaps he thought you were pretty and rethought things when he saw your rings or some religious symbol on the car.

Perhaps he's a bad cop and had ill intentions and the Holy Spirit protected you.

Perhaps he was just bored and on the verge of getting a migraine and your lights really did look too bright to him.

• Like 16

Maybe your car fit the description of another suspected of being involved in a crime.

Perhaps he pulls over someone else with the same make & model of vehicle frequently and finds them guilty of something and thought you'd switched your plates.

Maybe he caught a whiff of what smelled like drugs as you passed and he thought he should check it out.

Perhaps he thought you were pretty and rethought things when he saw your rings or some religious symbol on the car.

Perhaps he's a bad cop and had ill intentions and the Holy Spirit protected you.

Perhaps he was just bored and on the verge of getting a migraine and your lights really did look too bright to him.

I like all of these reasons :) Especially the one where he thought I was pretty until he realized I was a married homeschooler coming back from a field trip.

• Like 17

That would annoy me. So he was following you and thought your lights are too bright? How dark was it outside???

Sorry.

Yeah, that was part of what I found puzzling. He was behind *me* for most of the time, except for a couple minutes he was in the lane *beside* me; never was he in front of me getting beamed in the eyes with my lights. It is grey today, cloudy and overcast. Not very dark, though.

Ironically, had I been driving my van, he could have chosen from a multitude of mechanical malfunctions on that car. Most noticeably, the left turn signal is burned out. But we are taking *that* car in for serious repairs, probably this week. Had I been driving that car, he could have pulled me over just because it's crappy looking! :D

• Like 3

Funny thing, I was just thinking of starting a thread on the dumbest reasons for getting a ticket.  Someone posted on my facebook this morning that she got a ticket for throwing out a cigarette butt. 

I wish they would ticket more often for that. Not frivolous imnsho.

• Like 32

Mostly I'm just irritated because I was very close on time, was out of fuel, and really did not need the delay. I saw this cop for several minutes before he decided to pull me over. I swear he was looking for something to do. So, it took him a few minutes to state his reason for pulling me over. He asked me several questions about my headlights. He had pulled me over because they are "too bright" and he thought I had my hi-beams on. I didn't. He did not issue me a service order, but he told me I "should" go have them looked at. What? I'm going to make an appointment at a mechanic, have no paperwork, but tell the mechanic one officer in seven years of driving this car told me my lights are too bright? Oh, sure, let me hurry off to make that useless and wasteful appointment...

Ha!  I got pulled over in (insert very fancy city where there is no crime and cops have nothing to do) THREE times in a week.  I stopped going there for awhile.  It was ridiculous.  Twice for headlights and once because I completed a turn on left when the light turned yellow and was turning red.  What was I supposed to do?  Stay in the intersection because cars kept coming against their own stoplight?  I couldn't believe that.

• Like 1

I think my stupidest tops that, mainly because I did get a ticket.  

In my state, when you pay your yearly car registration you get a sticker that you put on the drivers side of the windshield.  Until recently, when you got your car inspected they gave you a different sticker.  I got my car registration in the mail and I couldn't get the old registration sticker off.  Car inspection was due next month or the one after that.  So, I decided to ask the car inspection guy to remove both old stickers.  

I was pulled over and ticketed for having two registration stickers in my car.  Yes.  An actual ticket.  

He'd also gotten his nose out of joint because he'd seen a few diet coke cans jammed between the two seats.  Even after I'd told him I hadn't had anything to drink in a few months and I showed him each one was Diet Coke.  I NEVER drank in the car, or did drugs at all so there is no way there was anything 'funny' he could have smelled.  He seemed to think it was my fault he thought they were Coors cans.  

• Like 2

I'm very sympathetic Quill, and would like to point out to everyone reading this thread that this is exactly the issue in the 'driving while black' or 'driving while brown' phenomenon.  I know people who have had this happen to them over and over, and it really gets old; plus it can be dangerous.

I tend to drive a car until the mechanic makes jokes about my car.   This has seriously been the reason twice.  There is always a HUGE drop in traffic tickets when I replace the car. From 3-4 a year, to 3-4 years without being stopped.  

• Like 1

Funny thing, I was just thinking of starting a thread on the dumbest reasons for getting a ticket.  Someone posted on my facebook this morning that she got a ticket for throwing out a cigarette butt.  (Gross, but yeah, cops must not be very busy.)

That is a GOOD reason to get a ticket.  Aside from the fact it is littering, it could be very dangerous, too.  A few weeks ago my husband and kids passed a couple fire engines fighting a fire in a median.  It was caused by someone "just" tossing out a cigarette butt.  Since it was in the median, it wouldn't have spread, but I remember a time when I was a kid and we were on the way to my grandparents' house.  My parents had to stop at a convenience store and call 911 because someone had thrown a cigarette butt out their window and it had started a fire on the side of the road.  That time it wasn't in the median and when we passed the fire it was almost to the trees next to the road.  If it's dry out, cigarette butts can and do cause fires.

Ha!  I got pulled over in (insert very fancy city where there is no crime and cops have nothing to do) THREE times in a week.  I stopped going there for awhile.  It was ridiculous.  Twice for headlights and once because I completed a turn on left when the light turned yellow and was turning red.  What was I supposed to do?  Stay in the intersection because cars kept coming against their own stoplight?  I couldn't believe that.

Wait.  Isn't that what you are *supposed* to do???

• Like 19

I got pulled over once at 2 a.m. while on my way home from work.  (This was while I was in college.)

The police officer came up to my car and asked, "Didn't I meet you at a party last week?"

Um, no.  And, I'm not that cute.  Really.  

He must have been bored out of his mind to have pulled me over.

I took an indirect route home and made sure he didn't follow me.

• Like 3

I think my stupidest tops that, mainly because I did get a ticket.

In my state, when you pay your yearly car registration you get a sticker that you put on the drivers side of the windshield. Until recently, when you got your car inspected they gave you a different sticker. I got my car registration in the mail and I couldn't get the old registration sticker off. Car inspection was due next month or the one after that. So, I decided to ask the car inspection guy to remove both old stickers.

I was pulled over and ticketed for having two registration stickers in my car. Yes. An actual ticket.

He'd also gotten his nose out of joint because he'd seen a few diet coke cans jammed between the two seats. Even after I'd told him I hadn't had anything to drink in a few months and I showed him each one was Diet Coke. I NEVER drank in the car, or did drugs at all so there is no way there was anything 'funny' he could have smelled. He seemed to think it was my fault he thought they were Coors cans.

That is seriously bizarre. Maybe he really hates diet coke?

Yeah, this.  He was nosing around for something else and needed an excuse to stop you.

• Like 2

I've been pulled over and asked "Did you see how fast that guy was going!?" while the officer pointed at a different car.

Yes sir, I saw it. I felt it pull my car sideways. Why in the world am I the one on the side of the road talking to you?

I've also been pulled over so that the cop could look over my antique car and ask questions about where I got it and how much work it takes to maintain. Usually they make up something about a headlight or balding tires (as if you could tell while the car is in motion) and send me on my way within 5 minutes.

In general, I don't mind. I'd rather be pulled over a dozen times than have them miss something they should have checked out, but didn't.

• Like 3

Epitome of DWB. Just saying.

Well, what is my crime, though? DWWHC? (Driving While White Homeschooling Conservative?)

Not saying it doesn't happen to brown or black folks, though.

• Like 3

I get that it's annoying to be pulled over, but if your headlights are out of alignment (which can happen for same reason that your steering goes out of alignment, you hit a bump and they move) it's annoying and dangerous for other drivers.  Where I live your car will fail inspection for headlights out of alignment.  So yeah, I'd get it looked at.

That said, I wouldn't have answered his questions.  If you want to know why, just go to YouTube and look up videos on "don't talk to cops". 

• Like 2

I wasn't actually ticketed, but twice I received warnings for what I thought were silly reasons:

Once, I was driving on a kind-of-country road, and there was a long line of cars backed up in the opposite lane. As I came around a curve in the road, I flashed my brights to warn an approaching driver that he should slow down, because I knew he couldn't see what was just around that curve. He turned out to be a police officer, and he pulled a u-turn to flag me down. He tried to tell me it is illegal to flash your brights, but he couldn't come up with a vehicle code to site, so he just warned me and let me go on. 

Another time, an officer pulled me over because he said that my van was improperly registered. He claimed I hadn't used my turn signal, which got his attention, so he ran my plate. (I maintain that he couldn't have seen my turn signal from where he was at the time I made the turn.) My plate came back as being registered to an SUV, when it was really a 12-passenger van. He told me I had to go to the DMV to straighten it out. The gal at the DMV looked at me like I was crazy, and said there was nothing she could do to change that, as it had been entered in the system that way when the van was first purchased (by someone else). 

• Like 2

Well, what is my crime, though? DWWHC? (Driving While White Homeschooling Conservative?)

Sorry I wasn't clear in this post, as I was in my first in this thread, that I was not referring to you.

That quote from the earlier post, though, was such an apt description of unreasonableness in application of police authority at times.

I was pulled over a few years ago for flashing my brights at oncoming traffic to warn of a speed trap ahead.  There was an unmarked police car in the oncoming traffic.  :laugh:

I knew that this was not illegal in my state. He tried to intimidate me by telling me it was illegal but that he was not going to give me a ticket.  I challenged him and asked for the statute.  He replied that he didn't know if offhand and couldn't look it up.

I was really ticked off, because it was a bunch of bs.  I followed up tat afternoon with the local state police office to verify that it wasn't illegal.  The two officers who answered the phone found my question hilarious, laughing that he'd pulled someone over for this and ended up with me.  (I'm sure they thought I was an idiot.)  ;)

I posted about it here.

I don't flash my lights as often, but now I use the GPS app Waze and notify other users whenever there are police waiting to catch speeders.  I have no guilt about that or any concerns with possible moral issues.

• Like 3

He tried to tell me it is illegal to flash your brights, but he couldn't come up with a vehicle code to site, so he just warned me and let me go on. 

We must be neighbors!  My state police office said it could possibly be considered as something along the lines of using a non-emergency vehicle to indicate an emergency--as in flashing your brights at an intersection that is triggered by emergency vehicle lights.  But they said they thought any judge would through it out of court.

So now when I flash, I usually just turn my headlights off and on. 

• Like 2

See, I thought her DWB was driving while beautiful.....Could be applicable here...

(I just don't jump to racial thought fast enough.)_

• Like 2

See, I thought her DWB was driving while beautiful.....Could be applicable here...

(I just don't jump to racial thought fast enough.)_

Aww....thank you. *sniff*

• Like 1

My dh and I have been pulled over multiple times in a particular area, because the cops are stopping everyone went through, it wasn't a checkpoint. they were looking for people who had robbed a particular house, that evening. we knew the cop, and he knew us and that's how we learned the reason we were stopped- but before he realized who I was he told me it was about my lights (he knew my dh, who was in the passenger seat).

• Like 2

I get that it's annoying to be pulled over, but if your headlights are out of alignment (which can happen for same reason that your steering goes out of alignment, you hit a bump and they move) it's annoying and dangerous for other drivers. Where I live your car will fail inspection for headlights out of alignment. So yeah, I'd get it looked at.

That said, I wouldn't have answered his questions. If you want to know why, just go to YouTube and look up videos on "don't talk to cops".

They may be, but I don't know how he would have a good handle on that from behind me.

Your last line does not make sense to me and I'm not going on a YouTube rabbit trail about not talking to cops. That sounds extremely foolish to me anyway.

• Like 3

I flash my headlights a lot--to warn of the huge herd of elk coming up. I have to drive past our big reservoir a lot, and it's always scary to see someone who obviously doesn't know what they're about to drive into.

I've done that where deer are near the road, a major hazard around here, especially this time of year.

When dh and I were first married (before kids) we were up late one Saturday night and I had a craving for something sweet. Being the good guy he is, dh agreed to go to the convenience store and pick up some chocolate for me. He was gone a really long time.

Turns out, he was stopped by a cop on his way home. He'd never been pulled before and was terrified. There was a dog barking (we're not sure if it was a canine officer or just a nearby pet -- it was a rural area and very dark). The officer approached with his flashlight and demanded to know what was in the brown bag, to which dh nervously replied, "Um, milk and candy bars?"

After inspecting the bag, the officer let him go. Apparently that convenience store had been selling alcohol to minors and the cop had staked it out. My dh was a few months past his 21st birthday, so he would have been legal anyway, but I guess he was young enough to look suspicious. We still laugh about the time he got pulled for driving while (sugar) high.

• Like 11

Funny thing, I was just thinking of starting a thread on the dumbest reasons for getting a ticket.  Someone posted on my facebook this morning that she got a ticket for throwing out a cigarette butt.  (Gross, but yeah, cops must not be very busy.)  

Just want to add a third post stating that I wish MORE tickets were given for this... 'cause it's that important.

Otherwise, the only time I've been pulled over was when we were in OK - traveling our lesser known routes (AKA not Interstates).  It was raining slightly and the police car passed me, then slowed to where I passed him (still within the speed limit).  Then he pulled me over.  He wanted to see my license and took it to his car.  When he returned he told me he couldn't read my license plate, so checked the front and saw we didn't have one.  (We're from PA - we only need a rear plate.)  Then he asked what we were doing (on vacation - traveling), apologized for stopping me, and wished us a good time in his state.

I thought that perhaps our plate had been muddied up from traveling on some dusty roads, etc, but we pulled over ourselves to look at it.  It was fine.

Our best guess was that this guy hadn't seen a PA plate before and didn't recognize it.  We do tend to travel places most tourists don't go...  :coolgleamA:

• Like 7

Funny thing, I was just thinking of starting a thread on the dumbest reasons for getting a ticket.  Someone posted on my facebook this morning that she got a ticket for throwing out a cigarette butt.  (Gross, but yeah, cops must not be very busy.)  And I've had a few really dumb tickets.  It seems like something that would be fun to vent about.  :)

As for being slowed down, I have a little petty vent today.  I was in a hurry to get to the library so I could intercept my kids' passport applications before they went out in the mail.  I needed to add a couple of items.  So, kind of important.  I had enough time.  But, then I got stopped behind the handicapped school bus.  Which I wouldn't mind, except this particular bus keeps its red lights on for 10+ minutes each time, including at least 5 minutes after the rider is on the bus.  I guess it takes that long to strap him in or whatever, but couldn't she shut the lights off so traffic could resume?  Then it turned out that I had to follow the same bus almost all the way to the library.  Thankfully it only made one other stop during that time.  Whew.  Stressful.

I don't know what state she lives in, but major fires have been started in CO due to people throwing a cigarette butt out of a car. It's not a petty offense if someone has to evacuate a home (or loses her home) because of someone else's stupidity or thoughtlessness.

I was ticketed for speeding after I had stopped on the side of the road for about 5 minutes to check my map. I'm not sure if the policeman had the wrong vehicle or if he really clocked me at that speed, but waiting so long to leave his speed trap made me wonder. If it had been me he clocked and I hadn't stopped to check my map, he likely wouldn't have been able to catch me to ticket me.

• Like 5

I was stopped once on the freeway for passing a state highway patrol guy, going 64 in a 65mph zone.  I threatened to file a complaint if he gave me a ticket.  I think that was the only time I ever got stopped and didn't get a ticket.

I got a ticket for having a broken light bulb above my license plate.  Would have been nice to have a warning instead.

I got a ticket for the BMV being late mailing me my tags.  I had the proof of early payment, follow-up, and late mailing, but the cop still made me go to court over it.  Then in court, they agreed I was not guilty of anything, but they were still going to make me pay costs.  The stenographer protested on my behalf and I got off without having to pay.  (But having to take off work to go to traffic court is no small thing either.)

I got a ticket for hitting a roadside mailbox.  Why this was stupid is that I had gone back and apologized and offered to pay the guy to replace his mailbox.  There was no need to call the cops.  But the owner felt he "had to do the right thing."  Then the cop felt he "had" to give me a ticket so my insurance would pay.  (Again, I would have been happy to pay and save everyone the trouble.)  It was not a waiverable offense, so I went to court and explained that I had veered a little when I turned to tell my kid to stop poking me with a palm leaf (it was Palm Sunday).  They decided that being poked with a palm leaf wasn't reckless driving, so I was found not guilty.

I'm sure there are several other dumb examples.  I've driven a lot of miles.  ;)

• Like 1

When I was 17 I got a ticket for disturbing the peace. I was learning to drive stick shift and was backing out of space. I hit gas and popped the clutch (not intentionally).

I was surrounded by about 8 cop cars.

I was seriously annoyed being I was guilty of learning to drive a stick shift.

I went to court and it was dismissed. Even the judge thought it was a stupid ticket.

• Like 3

Honestly, I wish they would regulate the lights. Many of these newer lights are as bright, if not brighter than, high beams. They blind me, especially since I don't have expensive, glare-free glasses. They really are dangerous.

The glasses don't help. Ask me how I know. :glare: They help with other kinds of glare, but bright headlights still bother me a lot.

All of our cars have those super bright lights, and I am very careful to never turn on the high beams when there is oncoming traffic because I know how annoying they are. But the lights have saved me from hitting deer on dark roads more than once, so I like having them.

• Like 3

I was stopped once on the freeway for passing a state highway patrol guy, going 64 in a 65mph zone. I threatened to file a complaint if he gave me a ticket. I think that was the only time I ever got stopped and didn't get a ticket.

I got a ticket for having a broken light bulb above my license plate. Would have been nice to have a warning instead.

I got a ticket for the BMV being late mailing me my tags. I had the proof of early payment, follow-up, and late mailing, but the cop still made me go to court over it. Then in court, they agreed I was not guilty of anything, but they were still going to make me pay costs. The stenographer protested on my behalf and I got off without having to pay. (But having to take off work to go to traffic court is no small thing either.)

I got a ticket for hitting a roadside mailbox. Why this was stupid is that I had gone back and apologized and offered to pay the guy to replace his mailbox. There was no need to call the cops. But the owner felt he "had to do the right thing." Then the cop felt he "had" to give me a ticket so my insurance would pay. (Again, I would have been happy to pay and save everyone the trouble.) It was not a waiverable offense, so I went to court and explained that I had veered a little when I turned to tell my kid to stop poking me with a palm leaf (it was Palm Sunday). They decided that being poked with a palm leaf wasn't reckless driving, so I was found not guilty.

I'm sure there are several other dumb examples. I've driven a lot of miles. ;)

Man, you seem like kind of a magnet. ;)

I have been pulled over numerous times without getting a ticket. The only actual citations I have gotten were issued by camera (one red light, one speed). I did get the Work Order Service mandate citation before, but that is a different thing...just fix the taillight and you're good.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but this kind of behavior makes me seriously question what the police are there for.  I had to call on someone literally punching his SO on the porch the other night and not a darn thing happened. It took them 20 minutes to arrive, they were unconcerned and even told me they'd leave if he wasn't still outside.  But last year dh and I were driving home after a flight from Oregon (or more accurately, a flight to Oregon, job interview, and flight directly back at breakneck speed, then a train, then driving) and we were followed over 20 miles before the cop tailing us (at 2 am on a country road) decided to pull us over for a dim tail light.  I'm sorry that you're bored, but go protect and serve. That just delayed us getting home for half an hour after a physically and emotionally difficult weekend.

• Like 3

Oh, just remembered another one!

When DH and I were dating he got pulled over for not dimming his lights to oncoming traffic.  It was pitch black night and there wasn't a soul on the road.  The cop was in the ditch - behind some trees - with his lights off.  So basically, we were pulled over for not knowing that he was there hiding off the side of the road in the dark.

Sometimes you've just got to laugh.

• Like 2

Honestly, I wish they would regulate the lights. Many of these newer lights are as bright, if not brighter than, high beams. They blind me, especially since I don't have expensive, glare-free glasses. They really are dangerous.

Yes, this! 

And, on the flip side, am I the only one who is seeing what seems like a greatly increased number of drivers who are neglecting to turn on their lights at all? My loose working theory is that, since many cars have automatic daytime running lights, drivers may not notice when it gradually gets dark. However, those low-level headlights don't do a thing to help other drivers see a car from behind. And if the vehicle happens to be a dark color, it's extremely disconcerting for other drivers to try and keep track of it without the tail lights. 

• Like 3

I was pulled over for no reason once while traveling out of state. The officer was driving an unmarked car (sky blue!) and followed me for at least five miles before pulling me over. His excuse? He wanted to make sure I "wasn't tired because I thought maybe I saw you go a little over the yellow line."

Nope, officer. You saw an out of state tag and thought you could get an easy speeding ticket paid, but I wasn't speeding, so you figured you would just inconvenience me to make up for being inconvenienced by tailing the wrong person. It was funny because I used to live there and knew it was a speed trap...hence the not speeding even a tiny little bit.

Glad your cop was honorable and didn't ticket you for nothing.

• Like 1