Menu

Let's talk socks. Everyday wear and warm ones for winter. What brands do you like?

6packofun

We are hitting that time of year when we need to replace socks for at least half of us.  I think we need to start investing in better/sturdier socks!  lol  What kind do you like?  (I've bought some wool ones from Sam's Club in the past but they are pretty thick and maybe not for everyday wear unless it's REALLY cold.) 

• Like 1

I run cold and wear wool socks (from Costco) from fall to spring. I've had the same socks for years. They don't wear out! 

I have to replace my kids' socks every year though. Even though they're poor quality and I have to replace them more frequently, I buy the Hane's color coded ones. They make my life simpler when sorting clean laundry. The two younger boys wear the greens, and they older boys wear the blues. 

Dh has a lighter sock and heavier sock for the different seasons. 

• Like 1

I've been slowly building up my collection of everyday wool socks for winter. I love these: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73313?feat=socks-SR0&page=women-s-smartwool-cable-socks. Thin enough for everyday, but warm!

My kids mostly wear the color-coded Hanes cotton socks, but they each have a pair or two of Smartwool for really cold days and playing outside.

For my boys, the only daily wear socks that lasted was the Nike hi-cut/football socks which still looks good after a few years and the Converse hi-cut socks which DS9 started wearing recently.  The rest of their socks tend to get holes easily and/or get out of shape.

I have fallen in love with Smartwool socks.  I buy them at the LL Bean outlet with the coupons I get from using my LL Bean visa so I don't feel guilty buying what I'd otherwise think were expensive socks.  But they're so warm and don't bunch up or twist!  I even wear the thinner ones in the summer (when I'm not barefoot with sandals, that is. ;) )

• Like 1

I too love Smartwool socks which I buy in various weights.  Sierra Trading often sells Smartwool "seconds".  I have never quite figured out what makes a second a "second" as opposed to a "first".

As far as warm socks are concerned, nothing beats handknitted socks.  My son, the archaeologist, has field tested hand knits vs. store with the former winning hands down (or is that toes down?) in terms of durability.  Plus socks are so much fun to knit!

Jane

• Like 3

I do the Costco wool blend socks as well. DH gets some wool socks from bass pro with lifetime warranty, pricey at $10 a pair or so but we built up slowly and it was *the-* holiday gift from very one one year.

Kids I do color coded Hanes as well and never replace socks as they all disappear. I just buy more.

Another Costco sock fan.  I did prefer the KBell brand of wool sock over the Costco ones truth be told.

This year they introduced a trouser sock for women.  I bought a pack. They are thinner for everyday wear.  i love them.

Oooh, those sound nice! I'll have to look for them.

Point 6!  

Fox River is our the second go-to.

Both hold up well.  Point 6 is cuter and more robust.

Both are pricey (Fox River less so) but will last years and years.

Pass up the Smartwool.  The quality has tanked in the last few years.  My first pair of Smartwool is 20 years old and still going strong.  The pair I got last year is in shreds.  I am very disappointed.

• Like 1

I've been slowly building up my collection of everyday wool socks for winter. I love these: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73313?feat=socks-SR0&page=women-s-smartwool-cable-socks. Thin enough for everyday, but warm!

My kids mostly wear the color-coded Hanes cotton socks, but they each have a pair or two of Smartwool for really cold days and playing outside.

Ooooh, those look great!  Thanks!

• Like 1

I just got a shipment (99 cent shipping right now!) from Sierra Trading Post - I searched for  clearance socks :-)  as I am happy with last year's
colors etc.  I got Woolrich and Goodhew brands this time, Smartwool seems to wear out faster past couple years.  Merino wool mixed with other stuff. 

Are wool socks itchy? When I put something made of wool against my neck (like a scarf or sweater) it immediately gets itchy. Aren't socks like that, too? Or are they somehow different? Or do I just have an usual reaction to wool?

The SmartWool socks don't itch. I used to wear regular wool socks for hiking before I discovered SmartWool and I would wear a breathable liner sock with them. 

My kids wear Hanes (girls) or champion (boys). One girl wears grey-based and the other wears white. Then my boys have drastically different feet (8yo and then my little boys share the smallest size). My oldest son tears through socks. His double-thick champions have holes in the heel or balls of the feet within 6 weeks at least. :glare:

Are wool socks itchy? When I put something made of wool against my neck (like a scarf or sweater) it immediately gets itchy. Aren't socks like that, too? Or are they somehow different? Or do I just have an usual reaction to wool?

I do have some wool socks that itchy, so I know what you mean. They are itchy to the touch.

The merino wool socks from Costco, or elsewhere, are not itchy at all.

• Like 1

Point 6!  

Fox River is our the second go-to.

Both hold up well.  Point 6 is cuter and more robust.

Both are pricey (Fox River less so) but will last years and years.

Pass up the Smartwool.  The quality has tanked in the last few years.  My first pair of Smartwool is 20 years old and still going strong.  The pair I got last year is in shreds.  I am very disappointed.

Thank you for saying this! That was my experience with SmartWool too, and I was reading all the glowing comments above about them thinking, "What the ???" I shelled out way too much money for several pairs for me, and they didn't even last one winter before developing large holes.

I like Darn Tough and the Costco wool ones. They've both held up really well here.

Interesting. I got two pairs last year and they're still going strong.

They have day-to-day socks and hiking socks. Any chance your old pair is the thicker hiking socks and the new pair is the day to day sock?

I can't wear wool sweaters or scarves. I like the Costco socks. I don't know what the difference is! You can always return if they drive you mad. Or stick your hand in them in the store first.

I am very allergic to wool but I can wear wool socks if they don't go too far up my legs, and wool mittens if they don't go too far up my arms.

No wool content in pants, shirts, or scarves.  Even 10% sets me off.  I can get away with alpaca in hats and in scarves that are mostly over turtlenecks, but that's about it, and it's a bit iffy.

• Like 2

They have day-to-day socks and hiking socks. Any chance your old pair is the thicker hiking socks and the new pair is the day to day sock?

Same here. All mine (mostly the cable knit) are in perfect shape. I wear house shoes though and don't go around in stocking feet (too cold!), so I don't know if that would make a difference?

The kids' pairs made it through 2-3 winters before one bit the dust yesterday. Considering their track record with socks in general, I'm still calling it a win. ;)

(Edited for typo)

• Like 1

I have had all types, thick and thin, blow out on me.  Dd and dh too.  But I will say that we are SERIOUS users here.  We wear wool socks year-round.  Dh and I are both very good about always wearing slippers in the house (old wood floors shred socks).  Dd is not as good about remembering.  But it does not seem to make a difference.  We ski, run, hike, and everything else in them.  I would chalk it up to being hard on socks but that does not explain why other brands are holding out much longer.  My original Smartwool is just your mid-thickness typical hiking sock and has seen very hard use.  The elastic is going on the ankle because of age and repeat washings but the wool held up.

It is very cold where I live and almost everyone lives in drafty old houses.  Sock-talk happens a lot in normal conversation.  The decrease in quality of Smartwool has been noted by almost everyone around here.  It is the sad byproduct of manufacturing being moved to China.   

• Like 1

These are the socks the men and boys in my family wear. They are a super value since they have a lifetime guarantee. Anytime we get holes in the socks, we can return them for a new, free, replacement pair. This has saved our family hundreds of dollars, as you can imagine! They are 81% wool.

http://m.basspro.com/RedHead-Lifetime-Guarantee-AllPurpose-Socks-for-Men/product/34713/

• Like 1

I want the kind that stay together through the wash and dry cycle.  Maybe my dream pairs would have little ropes attached like kid mittens do.

I'm looking at throwing...idk..30 mismatched ones away because they are taunting me every time I do wash.

• Like 1

I want the kind that stay together through the wash and dry cycle.  Maybe my dream pairs would have little ropes attached like kid mittens do.

I'm looking at throwing...idk..30 mismatched ones away because they are taunting me every time I do wash.

I gave up on keeping the singles together in the laundry room.  Instead, I put them in the drawer where they would otherwise belong, alongside the pairs.  This seems to significantly up the chances of pair reunification (as often this is where the mate is; if not it usually shows up soon), and eliminates the never-finished task of dealing with the single sock bin.  

It is very cold where I live and almost everyone lives in drafty old houses.  Sock-talk happens a lot in normal conversation.  The decrease in quality of Smartwool has been noted by almost everyone around here.  It is the sad byproduct of manufacturing being moved to China.   

I'll certainly defer to you. I'm not very hard on socks so it's rare for me to wear them all the way out.  :)

I looked into it some more and there is a line they make in the U.S.A. but of imported yarns. I don't know if you might have more luck with those.