Menu

Is there anything that you refuse to eat now because of how your mother fixed it?

We have a dear friend who will not eat Gravy. Not even his wife's even though her 6 children LOVE her biscuits & gravy. He said his mother used to fix it and she would have big balls of flour in it, it was so bad that you would get flour puffs in your mouth. Poor guy. Anyway, I can't think of anything that my mom ever fixed that I wouldn't eat now because of it, she was a pretty good cook. Dh did not like asparagus because his mom would kill it, she would over cook it. He'll eat it now because I can make it taste good. His mom would also kill pork chops, he never knew pork chops could be tender until he moved out. His parents don't season things as wel as we dol, so things are always very bland. Once we were having soup that his mom made and there wasn't any salt on the table and his dad kept saying how good the soup was and I kept thinking, what, it's so bland, so I had to crush up a bunch of saltine crackers just to give it some flavor. (his parents aren't that old either, so I could see if they were in their 80s and their taste buds were going, but they are not)

Oh once when we were first married, we'd travel to see his parents and I told dh, I bet your mom will fix either sloppy joes or pork chops and he was like, how do you know? I said "because she always fixes the same thing when we come" Sure enough it was sloppy joes. Gotta love them, but they are very predictable!

So is there anything that you won't eat because your mother runied it?

Phlox

I really, really, really don't care for baked potatoes done at home. I will never make one. Mom fixed them umpteen times a week. I hated them then, and still do. But when I get sick with a tummy bug, the first real food I want is a baked potato! But only from Wendy's.:confused::tongue_smilie: Mom is (was then) a great cook. She just overdid something that I cannot stand. Give me asparagus, kale, broccoli, rhubarb, anything but baked potatoes, mom!:lol:

Phlox

No, but I have trouble with the opposite. My Mother is a wonderful cook. There are things that I don't want to attempt to make because I don't believe that I'll be able to come close to the way my Mom makes it. Silly, I know. I'm getting better... really, I am!

What is it that goes with turkey at Thanksgiving - dressing or stuffing? Whichever it is - my mom made it the way her mom made it who made it the way her mom made it, which includes giblets :ack2: and oysters and mushy bread and they baked it with the turkey's neck on top (removed for serving).

Sorry, Mom, but it is vile.

My mother was a lousy cook. She still is. So, there's nothing I won't eat that she made; but there are a lot of dishes I make a LOT better than she did.

Yes, I'm with you on that one. I refuse to eat meatball stirfry. Yes, that's right, Italian meatball stirfry. :ack2:

Dh won't eat Salisbury steak because he ate too many TV dinners as a kid.

No big loss as far as cuisine, but it makes me laugh to think about how many TV dinners he must have eaten to get to the point of never, ever, ever wanting it again!

I really, really, really don't care for baked potatoes done at home. I will never make one. Mom fixed them umpteen times a week. I hated them then, and still do. But when I get sick with a tummy bug, the first real food I want is a baked potato! But only from Wendy's.:confused::tongue_smilie: Mom is (was then) a great cook. She just overdid something that I cannot stand. Give me asparagus, kale, broccoli, rhubarb, anything but baked potatoes, mom!:lol:

Baked potatoes are done on the grill at our house. I scrub them and nuke them. Roll them in garlic and herb seasoning, Parmesan cheese and butter. Then grill them a nice golden brown. Yum...I will only eat a baked potato from the Outback. Now THAT is a baked potato!! :lol:

Tomato soup. Mom would cook it (Campbells) and make us eat it. Little did she know it got fed to the dog. I think that she made it so often was because as far as she knew db and I would eat it.

Tomato soup is supposed to be fixed with a grilled cheese sandwich.

One must make it with milk. That is the only way to make tomato soup. I do understand. My Step mom would putp pieces of bread in the bowl and pour the stuff over it. It was like eating slime.....:001_huh: I wouldn't eat tomato soup until I hit my mid thirties and my husband wanted it.

Potato salad.

I didn't like it to begin with, but would suffer through. One time though, my sweet mom waited til I got a bite in my mouth and said, " You know I put worms in that, right?" I promptly puked and haven't eaten potato salad since.

We do that to my mom and she is the one puking....:D She has a weak stomach.

My thing is liver and onions. I only had it once and that was when my stepmother fixed it. Won't touch it!! It is not aloud to be made in my house. We had a friend live with us who used to eat chicken livers. Only she boiled them......blech eeewwwwwww!! My husband told her if she ever cooked those again she had to cook them outside on the grill.

I also do not like my food touching...another thing. I have gotten much better on that one though.....:lol:

My mother made instant mashed potatoes and they gagged me every time. MUSH and they get really watery after sitting in my mouth for 10 minutes. I thought that was the way all mashed potatoes tasted. When I grew up I discovered (when my dh's family made them) that real mashed potatoes really weren't so bad. But because of my memory, I still can hardly stand to eat them, much less make them. I do bakers and let them mash them up themselves with all the toppings. Those are delicious!

The list is so long I won't even bother posting it! My dad used to bribe us when my mom was out of the room with, "cover it with ketchup and just eat enough to make her think you like it and I will make you a bowl of pocorn later". For really bad things he would take us to DQ or A&W after dinner. My mom blaimed our lack of interest in dinner on my dad giving us junk food and my dad never corrected her.

But I am a ketchup connoisseur!

I won't eat bananas or sultanas, or drink plain milk. Too many in my school lunches as a kid. Fine if they are disguised. Don't bring them near me otherwise.

Most of the things Mum cooked ickily didn't put me off, because the ickiness was from treating the ingredient improperly. Vermacelli (sp?) isn't the same as wheat pasta! Now my grandfather put me off fresh beetroot. He used to grow them himself and wouldn't harvest them until they were huge and woody! Ergh! I was in my 20's before I was game to try them again. They aren't so bad when they are young and tender.

:)

Rosie

Not me, but my husband has an excellent example!!

He refused to eat pancakes!

He said he hated pancakes .. pancakes were terrible, etc.

I remember when we went to visit my parents for the first time (my parents owned, and ran, their own restaurant, so they were both excellent chefs) and I had to talk him into trying pancakes and .. he loved them!!

He still eats them at least once a week, 20 years later!!

He said he was surprised to find that pancakes aren't hard as rocks and shaped like hockey pucks (ala "His Mom's Pancakes") ;)

Leftovers. Ack.

Leftovers went into our fridge and then didn't come out again until they were covered in green fuzz. Therefore, anything that hit that refriegerator door was suspect in my eyes.

I can't do leftovers to this day. I've just now made myself keep and freeze a pot of soup.

And I can eat lasagna and turkey now.

But boy was DH surprised our first Thanksgiving when I threw the turkey out that night. :scared:

I could feed a small country on what I've thrown away and I feel terrible about that. But the idea of moldy food makes me squeamish. It's got to be sealed up new or I get a little scared.

One of my first presents from DH was a very nice set of Tupperware and he was so cute explaning how the seal worked and that he'd help make sure we ate anything fast enough or that he'd personally throw it away.

Jen

My mom made...once a week...huge, gummy pancakes. She would fix our plates by stacking the pancakes with large thick slabs of Velveeta cheese between them, and topped the whole thing with a puddle of thick, black molasses!!! I still wretch thinking about it. :ack2:

Ginger

Lol! Ginger, you win!!

I've never even eaten your mom's pancakes, and I'm put off of pancakes just from reading your description (my apologies to your mom for saying that). :lol:

I don't think there's anything I won't eat just because of the way my mother made it. I mean, you will NOT catch me eating broccoli, no matter how it's cooked. Tuna casserole is a long shot, too.

My mom did make a Spam casserole that I actually liked at the time. Now, I'd rather starve than eat Spam. I do recreate the casserole with real ham once in a while. Usually on a rainy fall evening, because that's a big part of the nostalgia. :)

We had a friend live with us who used to eat chicken livers. Only she boiled them......blech eeewwwwwww!! My husband told her if she ever cooked those again she had to cook them outside on the grill.

I hate liver too. My Dh used to do what your friend did and whats worse was that he did it while I was about 2 months pregnant. I only had morning sickness when DH was home.

My mom made...once a week...huge, gummy pancakes. She would fix our plates by stacking the pancakes with large thick slabs of Velveeta cheese between them, and topped the whole thing with a puddle of thick, black molasses!!! I still wretch thinking about it. :ack2:

Ginger

EWWWWWWW!!!:ack2:

No, my mum made delicious meals, oftentimes from very limited ingredients. There were a few recipes I never liked but nothing to put me off a particular food. My mum still enjoys a meal made from cabbage, ham and yogurt. Bleugh. It was edible, just not my taste at all. I still like cabbage, ham, and yogurt though not necessarily cooked together ;)

We had a LOT of boxed, highly processed stuff, as well as a lot of McDonald's and other drive-through nonsense. To this day I cannot even look at a cheap frozen burrito or consider a mystery meat TV dinner. I used to get stomach aches from this food. I actually taught myself to cook, as a teenager, because I just couldn't take it anymore. The first thing I attempted was lasagna--WOW! It was elaborate, and it was sooooooo good! I was hooked, and liberated, and delighted with my own ability to cook REAL food and have it taste good.

wow. Some of the things listed here are just gross. My list: liver and onions, tuna casserole, stewed tomatoes, lima beans. My parents had a huge bumper crop of tomoatoes one year and we had stewed tomatoes every single night that entire winter. They weren't good to begin with- gag. Lima beans, choke! Canned asparagus. We get tons of fresh free asparagus here and I still can't stand the sight or smell of it.

For my dh: casseroles or meat loaf. His mom (an ex home-ec teacher is a horrible cook. She'll serve slimy scrambled eggs -ewww.)

Phlox

My mom was a great cook, however based on the question, there are 2 things that I won't touch because I consider it "ruined". :) I was an avid swimmer and my mom used to wash my hair with tomato sauce to get all the chlorine out. She also would make my brother and I sit at the kitchen table for hours until we finished our cups of milk. To this day, my brother won't drink milk out of a plastic cup and I won't drink it at all.

Just liver. Don't think I would eat it anyway.

Same here. My mom was a good cook and stretched the budget well. But we knew when she would serve pieces of liver cut up alongside the minutesteak (!), like we couldn't tell the difference.

The only classic bleah that my mother served was a dollop of blue cheese semi-melted on top of (yes!) a minutesteak. We were all under 10 and had NO appreciation for finer cheeses then. :tongue_smilie:

My grandmother used to make some light green gelatin salad with nuts and maybe cottage cheese in it. Total ugh.

I can't say there is anything I won't eat because of the way my parents cooked it... there are things that bring back AWFUL memories...

I refuse to eat Apple Butter. Why? I was in the 5th grade... my 4yo brother got a hold of the Apple Butter and at some point dumped it into the gallon jug of milk on the table. Our punishment was to consume the entire jug of milk. If we wanted cereal... apple butter milk. If we wanted milk, apple butter milk. My dad said, he didn't care how long it took us to drink it, we would consume every last drop -- even if it was sour apple butter milk. :tongue_smilie: No more Apple Butter EVER for me.

My dad did most of the cooking. Brillo Bean Surprise was the soup he made. Never the same way twice... except for the brillo beans (not quite cooked enough beans). I'm pleasantly allergic to peas... so I got to miss out on the split pea version :D

There was once a crock pot full of oatmeal he made with Accent Salt instead of regular... GROSS.

My dad wouldn't throw anything away. "It's only a little moldy" is a phrase he still uses. :confused: "This bread tastes funny." Dad's reply, "I didn't see any mold on THAT slice!" :tongue_smilie:

Oh, and never substitute baking soda for baking powder when making biscuits. They taste like soap -- and no amount of butter & honey can cover up that taste!

Plus, I don't care how cheap the turkeys are, we don't need TWO HUGE TURKEYS on Thanksgiving, and 101 ways to make Turkey Casserolle Surprise

I'm now the best cook in my family -- on both sides. But, to be fair -- the stadard set was pretty low :lol:

I can't say there is anything I won't eat because of the way my parents cooked it... there are things that bring back AWFUL memories...

My dad wouldn't throw anything away. "It's only a little moldy" is a phrase he still uses. :confused: "This bread tastes funny." Dad's reply, "I didn't see any mold on THAT slice!" :tongue_smilie:

I'm now the best cook in my family -- on both sides. But, to be fair -- the stadard set was pretty low :lol:

You must be pretty hardy!! :lol::lol:

Dh is a great cook too, born out of necessity. His dad was an excellent cook and baker but mil did most of the cooking because fil worked so much. Mil's idea of a good meal is white toast with banquet chicken. It's a gourmet meal if she buys a precooked ham and reheats it. Bless her heart.

Thanks for sharing your memories, we had a good laugh!

I mean, I didn't like them to begin with, but then my mother was always trying to get away with putting them in things. Both of my parents liked them and used to get irritated that I didn't want them in spaghetti sauce or gravy or whatever. So, my mom would chop them up really, really small and hope I wouldn't notice they were there.

Eventually, I quit eating the foods into which she was trying to sneak the darned things. And to this day, I avoid mushrooms when at all possible.