Menu

Do you force doing "school" for a Pre-k or K-er?

Homeschoolmom3

After seeing the latest thread on the age to start reading.  Got me contemplating what to do with my youngest.  I am one who doesn't want to force little ones to sit and do school at an early age however, if they are ready should we do some?  I have tried to do some "school" about 30 minutes a day working on calendar, playing a math "game", writing, phonics, etc.  He does not like to do anything that "looks" like school. 

So lately I have just not done any writing, math (unless we play uno..:-)  or reading/phonics time.  I know that in the WTM that in the first part discusses basically that if they are ready we should have them do some of the work whether they like it or not.  My son taught himself to read about his 4th birthday without any instruction on my end.  Now he doesn't have all of his special sounds, etc. down but I know if we went over them he would quickly learn it!  He is the type of child that if he wants to do something he will do it no matter how difficult it might be.  If I can find a book he is really interested in (that isn't too difficult) I can get him to read some to me out of it but not every day.  In regards to writing, he has been writing on his own without much help from me since he was 2yrs. he has great fine motor skills so it is not a matter of ability.  So the question is should I make him do some work or just let it go until he is older say 5 or 6?  I so don't want to burn him out or cause him not to enjoy and like school particularly at an early age!  However, don't know if I should let it go and/or could it develop into a bad "habit"?  Anyone ever dealt with this?

I have to say that he has always LOVED for ME to read and has set for an hour at a time since he was 2. I never have tried more than an hour because I have to read to my other two and my voice would be gone.  :-)  He does sit for quite awhile 20-30 min. and "reads" by himself as well most days.  So at least we do read a lot together, just didn't know about the other.

Thanks for your advice and opinions!!

• Like 1

Last year with my youngest I didn't force anything. We did a lot of discovery, fine and gross motor skill work. If he didn't want to, he didn't want to, and that was it. I got Little Passports to theme each month and matched them to other things we had going on. LOL when a friend asked what he was doing for school last March, he indignantly answered that he doesn't do school yet. ;)

He's five now, and can sit for small lessons, but still a lot of his work is discovery and motor skills based. He's well on track for him, though. :)

"Reading" instruction, which was much less about reading than speech therapy, was mandatory. I only did it that way because she turned her nose up at the games, only respecting the "reading" lessons as real work. Otherwise, we did jigsaw puzzles and whatever other fun stuff I could borrow at the toy library.

• Like 3

I did have a 6 yr old foster child who had basically been expelled from school and was waiting for an opening in a day treatment program. For those months, I did "force" school during the same hours the public school kindergarten would run: 8:30-12. But, what I considered "school" was not just seatwork. I had only two workbooks for him: Explode the code 1 and a Star Wars math workbook. We did those for 15 minutes a piece. Everything else was his choice from a written list of activities: doing puzzles, watching Between the Lions, Word Girl, Cyberchase, Wild Kratts, or Sid the Science Kid, playing Starfall or Times Attack on the computer, building with legos or tinker toys, coloring or drawing, looking at books, or making things (he loved taping together stuff from our recycle bin). Just like kindergarten, we had a 10:30 snack/recess and 12:00 lunch. He spent afternoons playing outside.

This schedule worked for us and he really thrived on it. Even though his schoolwork was only about a half-hour, he still had structure in his day. Given his situation, I felt it was necessary that he didn't "run the show" and wasn't making decisions about whether he would work or not, but instead had boundaries and a rhythm to his day. He made plenty of choices of what to do, but they were choices that I gave to him. Having a schedule helped things not be a power struggle. It's 10:30? That means it's time for our snack. It's 8:30? That's when we do our reading work.

If he had been a 4 year old, I wouldn't have done any of the written work unless he chose it... but a 6 year old who needs to start learning to read? absolutely!

• Like 5

At 4, I seriously wouldn't push him.  It sounds like he's advanced though, so I wonder if perhaps what you are using to teach him with isn't challenging him?  Have you tried getting him some snap circuit kits and things like that?  Because he's young, I'd still really just stick with play.  It's very possible that he is in a "plateau" so to speak and isn't ready to develop further skills, even though he appears to be.  Hopefully I am making sense.  I am a bit scattered tonight. 

My oldest dd balked at anything that remotely resembled 'school'. Like others have mentioned above, we read a lot of books, played games, did fun science projects, and A LOT of art.

Halfway through Pre-k (4 years), I convinced (bribed) her to go through the Explode the Code Get Ready, Set, Go books. We spent at most 15 minutes a day on this. She actually has fond memories of it now.

We continued as normal until halfway through Kindergarten before starting AAR1 and MUS Primer because she just was.not.interested. Those 4-5 months of K was only 15-20 each day of focused work in math and reading. No pressure to 'get' it, just listen, play, and learn.

It took her awhile to come around to 'school' and still would be satisfied to do art, science, history, and listen to audiobooks all day. lol But I think we had a good balance between 'letting her be little' and a reasonable amount of work in the early years.

FWIW, my 3-year-old is the exact opposite and makes numerous requests all day long to 'do school'. lol

Sometimes. The only thing I flat out require, no matter what, was handwriting. I started as soon as DS started writing on his own, which was right when he turned 4. It was very short at first, and is still fairly short (8-10 words), but it was a must for me.

Otherwise, we have a deal on requirements. If he asks me to teach him something, and I agree, he has to follow through and do the lesson. So when he wanted to learn to read, he had to spend 5 mins a day on phonics. When he wanted to 'do science' with an actual curriculum, he has to do it when I have it scheduled with the materials prepared. When he wanted to learn piano, he had to learn to practice every single day, because that is what it takes to build skills. Same with math, once he wanted to start, he had to commit to everyday work. This has helped stop a lot of the day to day whining while still accomplishing what he wishes to accomplish. It also saves my sanity because he doesn't (well he does, but I just tell him no and don't feel bad) avoid school stuff all day and then bring me a list of science experiments and books to read late at night. 

• Like 1

At 4? No way if they aren't interested. We'd play all the games s/he was interested in that I had time & energy for & read aloud.

At 5 if they aren't interested at all, I'd still not require it. However, I'd introduce or play more educational games through the week if I could. I'd also start talking about what we'll do when they do 'start school.' I'd make sure there was something rewarding that they didn't get now. (At our house, that's "cooking class" or "building class.")

At 6, we start at least minimum school - reading, math, & Bible. Add in handwriting 2nd semester.

• Like 1

Do you count sitting them down to watch leapfrog letter factory school? That's about all I've done. I had plans, they're actually in my sig but as usually the kids didn't care about my plans :) my twins just turned 4 so it's really not a big deal to me if they don't want to do school. If they feel lIke sitting I have stuff they can do. If not we skip it. My 4th and 5th grader however, have to finish their work.

• Like 1

I let the dc lead at this age.

Currently, dd5 makes me do "homestool" with her.  She sometimes cries if I tell her "not right now".

She just got her K math book this week -- and we did 48 pages   :w00t: on the first day.  Almost one-third of the book!  I finally told her that I had to help her brother and sisters with their homeschool.

I'm sure the newness will wear off and in a year or whatever, she'll be crying some more because she doesn't want to do homeschool.  

• Like 2

No formal school before age 6.  I allowed my ds9 to be in "early childhood" until he was 7yo.  He showed a great many markers for dyslexia and we spent that time building up auditory, visual and fine motor skill.  I read aloud to him.  He played. He learned to read within about 6mo at 7yo iirc.  He's 9yo now and in Treadwell's 3rd Reader, reading along with out a stumble. I have no regrets about waiting on him.  He's progressing rapidly and feels confident about his work.

That said, there are plenty of informal playschool things to do right now.  Happy Phonics and Leap Frog can take a ready 4yo into reading without forcing school.  Strew sandpaper letters, cuisenaire rods, etc...in inviting containers.

Forcing school too early is the bigger risk if you are concerned about creating healthy habits.  You don't want to require something that the child cannot reasonably do.  Even if a child can learn quickly, they are still developmentally their age and stage.  Focus on building habits that make sense for a 4yo.  Grow those habits with the child.  

• Like 5

After seeing the latest thread on the age to start reading.  Got me contemplating what to do with my youngest.  I am one who doesn't want to force little ones to sit and do school at an early age however, if they are ready should we do some?  I have tried to do some "school" about 30 minutes a day working on calendar, playing a math "game", writing, phonics, etc.  He does not like to do anything that "looks" like school. 

So lately I have just not done any writing, math (unless we play uno..:-)  or reading/phonics time.  I know that in the WTM that in the first part discusses basically that if they are ready we should have them do some of the work whether they like it or not.  My son taught himself to read about his 4th birthday without any instruction on my end.  Now he doesn't have all of his special sounds, etc. down but I know if we went over them he would quickly learn it!  He is the type of child that if he wants to do something he will do it no matter how difficult it might be.  If I can find a book he is really interested in (that isn't too difficult) I can get him to read some to me out of it but not every day.  In regards to writing, he has been writing on his own without much help from me since he was 2yrs. he has great fine motor skills so it is not a matter of ability.  So the question is should I make him do some work or just let it go until he is older say 5 or 6?  I so don't want to burn him out or cause him not to enjoy and like school particularly at an early age!  However, don't know if I should let it go and/or could it develop into a bad "habit"?  Anyone ever dealt with this?

I have to say that he has always LOVED for ME to read and has set for an hour at a time since he was 2. I never have tried more than an hour because I have to read to my other two and my voice would be gone.  :-)  He does sit for quite awhile 20-30 min. and "reads" by himself as well most days.  So at least we do read a lot together, just didn't know about the other.

I don't push school on anyone, pretty much, but especially not for children who are only 4 or 5ish (I don't do "pre-k" or "k" :001_smile: ).

I don't know what kind of "bad habit" a little person who is only 4ish might develop if not required to do Official School Stuff. :001_huh:

• Like 3

I know a lot of people are saying don't do it if they are not ready and I totally agree!  It is just when I know of his potential and how much he could accomplish at this ripe age of gaining so much knowledge it is hard for me to back off.  He is reading so well, I hate to just not continue that but I guess I'll lay off for awhile and just do it when he wants to.  So hard for this Type A mama!  :)  Thanks everyone for the encouragement of letting go!  :001_smile:

• Like 1

I think it depends on the nature and degree of resistance as well as where your kid is developmentally.  Like Btervet said, if it's something he wants to learn but then on a particular day he decides he just doesn't feel like it, I insist we do a little bit.  As an example, DS4 asked me to teach him to read.  The first time he was 3 (and a very active/young 3).  We got a book and started trying to do it, but after about 5 minutes it was clear that it wasn't going to work.  His attention span was too short and he didn't understand what learning to read really was.  Even when he knew the letters, he couldn't blend them at all (a 4 year old skill, usually).  So we dropped it.  He asked me to teach him to read a few times since then, and each time when I brought out the book the first time he really wasn't able to do it and we dropped it after a few minutes.

A few months ago he asked me again to teach him how to read.  This time he was able to sit for 10 minutes, clearly learned something over the course of that 10 minutes, and was able to blend CVC words.  Since then on the vast majority of days he does his reading lesson without protest. We did have to rework how we were teaching a few times based on his feedback, but it's working overall.  At this point, some days he "doesn't feel like it."  On those days I insist because at this point we are both committed and he's clearly able and generally willing.  We just roll it back to a very clearly defined goal for that day (sometimes a very ceremonial sitting down together and reading 3 words if he's tired or wired).

I should mention, we spend less than 30 minutes per day on "school" -- just math and phonics.  The part I would even consider insisting on takes a total of 10-15 minutes (5 minutes phonics, 10 minutes math), the other 15-20 are voluntary and he picks the activity.  If the next DS is developmentally just not there yet or not interested at 4yo, I wouldn't even do what we're doing until much later (late 5 or early 6).

LMC

• Like 1

I know a lot of people are saying don't do it if they are not ready and I totally agree!  It is just when I know of his potential and how much he could accomplish at this ripe age of gaining so much knowledge it is hard for me to back off.  He is reading so well, I hate to just not continue that but I guess I'll lay off for awhile and just do it when he wants to.  So hard for this Type A mama!  :)  Thanks everyone for the encouragement of letting go!  :001_smile:

He may be similar to my DD#2, who learns in fits and starts.  DD#1 is much more traditional and linear, but DD#2 wants to TAKE IN ALL THE THINGS, GIVE THEM TO ME NOW, MORE MORE MORE...and then leave me alone and let me process for a while.  Once she's done with her processing phase, she switches back to GIVE ME MORE INPUT!  I'm honestly not sure what school days will look like for her once she hits official school age, because I'll have to find a balance between "we do school every day" and her need for processing time.

• Like 2

Here at 5 yes, it is mandatory. That's when they'd be in Kindergarten at school and not doing school with my homeschooled kids isn't something dh is cool with. Or me either, for that matter. If they are having a rough day, I might make it lighter. Even with that, we only school for 4 days a week, although Kindergarten at our house is usually about an hour and a half of official work per day (broken into chunks).

At 4, it depends. Sometimes I push it and other times I don't. It depends on how and why they are resisting. I do try to rev it up as they go from young four to older four, but generally, reading lessons especially are mandatory. I don't feel too badly about that because they only take maybe 10 or 15 minutes. 

Caveat: I have girls that aren't excessively wiggly and have decent attention spans and who are generally interested in learning what I'm teaching. I probably wouldn't fight a super wiggly kid who really had zero interest. So our experience in no way reflects what I might do with other kids.

never, ever for pre-k, we don't even do pre-k.

I really did a very lax k for ds, he wasn't ready for more, we read stacks of books 1hr+ a day. Played games for maths and did drawing with sticks or chalk outside. I didn't add any official writing until half-way through the year with HWoT.  Dd1 we did school maybe 3-4 days a week I think, it was pretty laidback, dd2 is an older k'er, almost 6 and has a huge attention span and enjoys working, so she is bringing me books most of the time, no I wouldn't force her if she didn't want to do it, age 7 is really when it becomes absolutely non-optional here, although I work to make it enjoyable for all of us.

I didn't require any seatwork until 1st grade except a short reading lesson in K if the child was ready. For a young child that was already reading, perhaps you could "buddy read" for a short time each day (you read a paragraph or a page, then he reads the next paragraph or page), something that he finds interesting. I wouldn't push it yet, though. If he is reading to himself each day (even if he is only looking at words and perhaps sounding them out in his head) he won't lose any of his reading skills. I might start casually pointing out some of the sounds he hasn't learned yet as you encounter them in signs, ads, cereal boxes, etc.

My 4 year old has, since babyhood, been doing Math and reading related activities daily. Most of them would not have been seen as "school", but rather as a natural part of life. I tell and teach without expecting much back from the child. However both mine began reading at 3 and then I did step in with phonics.

Because her older sister does school, my younger wants to do workbooks. My elder at 4 also did "school" however most of it was hands on and no reading was ever at a table with written phonics work. Most of it was just pointed out to her and we did a word list to teach a certain phonics concept where she would read me only 4 words at a time - which took almost no time at all.

I do insist on read alouds daily and some Math and reading, but at 4 none of it is seatwork at a table unless the child wants it to be. 

We home-educated. The kids were in pre-school through four. They did no reading. Only very basic alphabet awareness. The kids asked for math worksheets and we did them.

In kindergarten, I did force my little one to go to immersion public school which had forced seat work. I still feel kind of bad about it. I wish I could have afforded to keep her in private school one year longer with little academic work and no homework.

I don't think pushing helps. I think a variety of experience, structure, and an enriched environment with tons of outdoor time, helps.

Not at 4 unless they're begging for it.  4 year olds need mommies, not teachers.  They need lots of time to free play, learn how to do chores correctly and explore. Our state doesn't require formal schooling until 8 years old. Find out when your state requires formal schooling and be sure you're doing something formal then.

If the child is happy reading independently then have lots of good quality things for him to read independently when he chooses. Fine motor skills for writing develop later in some kids compared with others.

We have several read aloud times throughout the day (3 to 4.) Two of those are 45-60 minutes. The others can vary from about 20-30 minutes. On any given day we may read loud the same book at those different read aloud times and other days may be different books at different read aloud times. Some children's literature can take a while to read aloud so several read aloud times spread across the day helps cover a lot of territory. So does choosing read alouds directly related to a particular subject. Subject integration can be incredibly efficient and re-enforcing.

My middle wasn't ready to learn to read until she was almost 8 so we read aloud and borrowed books on CD from our local library.  She happily listened to the books while she played. We don't require sitting still during read alouds.  We allow all kinds of quiet play including tumbling on a gymnastics mat and bouncing on an exercise ball  in the living room.  As long as the child is able to follow along she can do whatever doesn't distract the reader or other children listening.  We discuss books so we know who's following along and who isn't.

• Like 2

Don't back off or let go.  Change approach.

Learn through play and child-led activity 100% pre-age 6.

Gradually increase the work-learning (vs play-learning) starting at age 6 or 7.  Start with 15min of seatwork, and work up from there.

It's not that learning to read is a bad thing, it's that seatwork easily pushes out time for more important things.  There is a short window for many things, and once it's gone it's gone forever.  You can teach a 7yo or 8yo to read in a short period of time.  You cannot take a 7yo or 8yo back to the eye level of a 4yo. They see the world differently. 

I also have a child who learned to read at 3.  I didn't teach her. An early reader is going to push her own way into reading.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people are saying don't do it if they are not ready and I totally agree! It is just when I know of his potential and how much he could accomplish at this ripe age of gaining so much knowledge it is hard for me to back off. He is reading so well, I hate to just not continue that but I guess I'll lay off for awhile and just do it when he wants to. So hard for this Type A mama! :) Thanks everyone for the encouragement of letting go! :001_smile:

My oldest was like this... reading well at 4, doing math in his head easily, etc. He didn't have the fine motor skills for writing, but everything else was there, ready for input. I tried doing "preschool" with him (we were planning to send him to private K, and my husband didn't think sending him to preschool was necessary - homeschooling wasn't really on our radar yet). My son resisted anything resembling school, so I backed off. Guess what? He learned MORE when I didn't try to teach him. He asked questions, and I answered them. We read books. We talked about stuff as we did housework, cooking, walks outside, long drives in the van (math in the van is one of my favorite memories). It's amazing how much a preschool age child will learn without you doing anything to actively try to teach! This son did go to private K, where he was well ahead of his peers, about half of which had attended preschool. I brought him home halfway through first grade, and he had no problem with formal school at that point. My other kids have been homeschooled from the beginning.

My philosophy for preschool... If they ASK for school, I'll provide them with K level materials (preschool level stuff is taught via living life). They can do them when they want. If they don't ask for school, we don't do school. My second son asked for school on occasion, mostly math. He wasn't ready for reading and writing until later. My third son asked to do school just about every day. He's precocious in all subjects and is still happily plugging along in first grade now. I just gave him limited amounts of work, combining things where possible. Right now, he has math, LA (one workbook that includes phonics, spelling, grammar, and handwriting), then history and science. His day is pretty short.

When they are officially "K", I do require a small amount of reading, writing, and math, but it doesn't have to be every day. My kid that was slower with reading and writing turned 6 shortly after starting "K", and even then, I didn't have him do handwriting until the second half of the school year. He just wasn't ready at all until then.

Anyway, it's pretty common with our first kid to think we need to push, push, push... especially if they are precocious in one or more areas. In reality, pushing can backfire and actually cause you to lose ground. Really, you have 13 years of formal school (if you start formal school at K). There is plenty of time to learn! And these early readers don't lose their reading ability. They keep improving, especially if you hit the library often. ;) Think about it... He taught himself to read. You didn't have to get out a phonics book and actively teach it. So why wouldn't he continue to improve in reading on his own? :)

I don't force at this age at all.  Only around first grade do I make 'school' time more of a requirement.  I feel like pushing it too early is a recipe for mutual burnout and bad feelings, but that's just my opinion.  Around age 6 we start to do some LIMITED seatwork. Some children will want to do things earlier... and that's fine.  But if they don't want to, we don't do it. 

Of course---we are doing tons of read-alouds and playing and exploring every day.  I think this is the work of early childhood, so I am happy to let my children do it!

I made a decision that the day after my son turned 5 would be the day he started officially homeschooling.  Prior to that I would only give him lessons if he wanted to do them and we would stop when he felt like it.  

I prepared him over several months for the switch.  Then once the switched occurred, we had a lesson every day no matter what, and we would stop when I said we would stop.  (If he was really having a hard time, I would stop early, but never when he asked to--I always made it seem like my idea.)

I think it is very important to establish a routine where the parent is in control of the school time early on.  It really cuts down on problems over the long haul.

A couple of mine did school their preschool year. They craved it, begged, and asked for it constantly. After they'd exhausted chunky Costco workbooks I bought them real curricula because it was cheaper than the internet printables they could consume. Their seatwork was kept short and sweet, but I had to have back pocket fillers for when learning to read, write, and simple sums wasn't enough. Goops poems and coloring pages, stuff like that.

The kids who weren't like that didn't get their own books until K age.

My current K age boy (just barely, his birthday is the local cut-off) works on penmanship, phonics, and math daily. This takes him no more than thirty minutes of seatwork tops, and he nearly always does this in one sitting. I could scarcely say I force him though, as he will pull his books to the table and tell me he needs to get it done. It's simply a way of life in this house and he picked it up automatically.

I have tried to do some "school" about 30 minutes a day working on calendar, playing a math "game", writing, phonics, etc. He does not like to do anything that "looks" like school. 

In this case, no. If he was eager, then yes. Just let him be four, read aloud to him, put on audio books for nap time or bed time, then come back to it in a year and see if anything has changed. HTH.

• Like 2

How much do you want to skew the responses by using a word like "force?"

I started education-with-intention at 4. The key was to find ways to teach and learn that were fun and effective. I loved finding things that capitalized on "play" and that built parent-child bonds.

Do I regret starting early? Not a bit. Best decision I ever made. Making learning fun and having education as a part of the family culture sets children up well for future success. 

Delay is just lost opportunity.

Bill

• Like 2

In my mind, reading aloud to your child for an hour, reading silently together for 30 minutes, doing fun math through games like Uno, him writing at times, occasionally having him read aloud to you so you can see how he's doing and give him tips--all of that IS school for Pre-K or K students. Play time, craft time, dress-up time, playing with blocks or cars, playing outside, puzzles, other imaginative play--these are all important learning environments for young kids as well.

Would I force structured learning that "looks like school," no. Would I find things that interest him (like books), entice him with games and occasional activities, do things like send a card to Grandparents (writing), play with manipulatives (math), bake together, count things, have a rotation of activities in bins to give at least part of his day some structure, make sure he has time and materials for creating/imagining according to his bent--absolutely.

• Like 4

I chose to tie "school" work to screen time for these ages.  He was welcome to go play outside or inside, but if he wanted to watch a movie or play on the tablet, he had to do phonics, math, and memory work.

If he chose not to do any school work, I was happier because the screens stayed off without complaint.

Does anyone else want their child to learn to read early because they're spending 3 hours or so every day reading to them?  We don't have a TV, and I think I'm going to vomit if I have to read Green Eggs and Ham again.  Not that I'm against reading to my child, it's just his "passive" activity, and there's only so much I can do in a day.

...  and my halo is officially bent for the day.

Does anyone else want their child to learn to read early because they're spending 3 hours or so every day reading to them?  We don't have a TV, and I think I'm going to vomit if I have to read Green Eggs and Ham again.  Not that I'm against reading to my child, it's just his "passive" activity, and there's only so much I can do in a day.

If you read 3 hours a day you are a saint in my opinion. I can't do it. I read a few books a day, no where near that amount of time. I HATE reading aloud. Always have, since I first learned to read. Hate it. 

So yeah, my kids watch "too much" tv, stuff like PBS shows, Octonauts, Odd Squad, Little Travelers, and adult documentaries about nature, travel, etc. 

LMCme,  playaways.  Lots of lovely, lovely Playaways.  They have them individual, they have them with the books, they have video versions of Scholastic books.  We love them - and KiddieRecords.com  All the old classics are on there with the dings to turn the pages.

My kid can read, but it's not a solution.  It just means he likes reading things to himself and then having me read a lot to him.  Right now we're working our way through Rick Riordan's Greek Myths book.  It's funny and hilarious, but with 35 really big pages (and small type) per story, it's a LOT.

I think my kids sleep better when their brains get a little bit of academic stretch. 

Also, I really want them in the habit of following my lead - to hear me say, "It's time for learning time!  Come to the table!" and comply.  I start "learning time" at 3 or so, but it is actually fun and games.  They do colors, shapes, physical activities like throwing a ball with me, etc, and it ends with reading picture books aloud.  Ds LOVES to hear reading aloud; it is the ultimate bribe. 

Both my kids really liked doing schoolwork when they were as young as 2. I called it school and made it fun but effective. Once we started a task, they didn't get the option to quit and go play. We finished school first. I wanted them from an early age to believe that learning was just as important and necessary as chores, brushing your teeth, and playtime.

I have absolutely no regrets starting that young. Both were reading at 4, dd at a more advanced level than ds. She is in college now on a full tuition academic scholarship and is making all As thus far into her first semester. It definitely didn't hurt her in any way. Ds doesn't "love" school, but he knows how important it is for his future and does well. I don't believe it has anything to do with starting early.  My dh felt the same way about school in his middle school years and went on to love learning and has a master's degree.

On the other hand, I do know a few kids whose parents started later with formal academics and really struggled to get their kids into the habit of school.

Have set reading times in your day (I usually did Bible during breakfast, a couple of stories before or after rest time, and about 30 minutes at bedtime. Even when I was reading aloud all of our Sonlight history, science, and read-alouds, I don't think I got to 3 hours per day! During the rest of his day, I would probably say, "I'd be happy to read this book at bedtime. Put it in our basket for tonight. Right now, you need to find something else to do. I do have some cabinets you can wipe/floors you can mop with a sponge/towels you can fold/the sidewalk you can sweep/other chore if you have trouble thinking of something."

I always had bins of toys we rotated though, plus other regular time periods in our day (outside play time, rest time, room time etc...). 

Books on tape are always fun too (we got a lot of those from our library when the kids were young, and invested in some that they would enjoy over and over). 

• Like 1

Wee Sing Nursery Rhymes. You need it. ;)

No. I would continue the read alouds and get outside. Five in a row books might be fun. Play is an important skill. Observation in nature especally would be beneficial. Rarely, do I hear parents wish that they should have pushed academics more at 4. Instead I hear them saying that they wished they would have spent more time exploring and playing, enjoying the time together.

Books on tape, trips, libraries, museums and just playing..legos, imaginative, and motor play lay a great foundation for academics.

• Like 2

My original response was a little abbreviated.  Here are some thoughts that I have had in the meantime.

Sitting =/= school.  School =/= sitting.  There is SO much to explore!  Think of it like this - pretend you're going to a foreign country.  Go to........Mongolia.  Okay.  It's totally different than 'home', and every day there is something new or interesting to learn about.  When you first got there, you didn't have to worry about anything, but as you are there longer you slowly find hidden grocery stores (like one in a farmer's garage, go figure), and learn the postal system, and understand the holidays better.  Even after 4 years, you still find new stuff that surprises you.

This is school.  And this is what life is like for a 4yo.  When a child arrives, there is no need to think about seasons, holidays, meals, etc. What's the point?  As they get older and they find repetition and are able to expect what comes next, there is more excitement, more joy, in discovering something new. 

There are days my K'er and I spend a few hours watching the ants, flying kites, visiting city gardens to see what has changed.  We get to be in the know when the art museum moves exhibits, because we're there at least once a week.
Last week, this was school:
-visit with firefighters and try on their gear.

-read a book about a forest fire.

-watch a video on plants and how insects pollinate them.

-dissect a flower and a bud, looking at them under a microscope.

-play chess, memory, and Gobblet

-dig holes in the backyard and throw leaves up in the air

-feel the difference between alpaca and sheep's wool, attempt to spin it, weave ribbons and then work on a child's loom.

-play with play food, having a picnic

-daring to draw a picture just using straight lines

-math puzzles

-practicing one sentence until it could be written from memory.

-working with clay and watercolors

-playing with tractors and dump trucks

-jigsaw puzzles

-library story hour

-c-rod exploration

-made a compass with a needle and a cork

-made a sundial with his shadow (every hour, standing in the same spot)

-cuddling up with a good book at bedtime and evening

-legos and wooden blocks

-playdoh

-acting out stories with his Imaginext sets
-memorizing a poem

-4 math worksheets

This is FUN.  These are activities he can explore, and do again and again and build that knowledge of repetition so that later he can apply it.  For the reading, yes, my kid can read.  He can read very well.  He's not ready to sit and read long chapter books, so each week we go to the library and I pick good picture books that either I will read to him at bedtime or he will read to himself, or I'll pick books I know he loves and would like to read again. His writing is weak, but I'm more concerned with him doing one thing right than a lot of things wrong, hence the short copywork.  He can concentrate on a handful of letters and be proud of that, rather than be tired of a block of them and do them poorly.  Last year, writing was almost nonexistent.  He drew in sand, used stencils, worked on fine motor skills individually...and then was ready to write.  Next year I'll add a writing curriculum maybe.
We don't do worksheets except in math, and he really likes math.  He likes alternating between using the manipulatives and writing it down (timing himself).  If he wasn't down with an activity we wouldn't do it.  I'd assess the skill needed, think about just the skill in isolation, and then dream up other ways to meet it if it was truly important.  If he wanted to do something a different way, he could do it.
Last year we did a lot of the same sort of thing, but without the math worksheets and the copywork.  We went to festivals, explored the town, focused on what happens next in predictive activities to prepare him for this year.
Next year?  Well, we'll probably add again, just a little.  And then the year after...and then the year after...I don't need him to have a 5th grader's workload at 5yo.  Slow and steady will build skill and knowledge just fine. 

• Like 3

Does anyone else want their child to learn to read early because they're spending 3 hours or so every day reading to them? We don't have a TV, and I think I'm going to vomit if I have to read Green Eggs and Ham again. Not that I'm against reading to my child, it's just his "passive" activity, and there's only so much I can do in a day.

... and my halo is officially bent for the day.

Lol. My halo would break long before 3 hours. That is why I introduced audiobooks at a young age. No TV here either, but Paddington, Winnie the Pooh, etc, were available on audio early on. Combined with art supplies or Playmobil to keep hands busy if desired, audiobooks are THE BOMB.

My Audible subscription is one of my most beloved parenting tools.

So don't read Green Eggs and Ham!

Read something you like! I read Pride and Prejudice to dd when she was this age. I like it and she was familiar with the characters from watching BBC. If your boy is playing with Lego or something while you read, it doesn't have to have pictures.

• Like 3

I don't read Dr. Seuss to my kids.  I despise those books.

Mine is a child friendly, not child centered home.  I have no problem telling my kid I don't want to read a particular book.  With all the wonderful children's books out there (picture books and chapter books) there's no reason at all to feel obligated to reread a book you don't enjoy. 

At my house read alouds are not passive.  My children quietly play while we aloud to them. When they're older they often craft, doodle, paint and sketch during read alouds.  Sometimes when we're reading aloud an old favorite (like Lord of the Rings) my older kids will bring in their college homework and listen. 

• Like 2

My original response was a little abbreviated.  Here are some thoughts that I have had in the meantime.

Sitting =/= school.  School =/= sitting.  There is SO much to explore!  Think of it like this - pretend you're going to a foreign country.  Go to........Mongolia.  Okay.  It's totally different than 'home', and every day there is something new or interesting to learn about.  When you first got there, you didn't have to worry about anything, but as you are there longer you slowly find hidden grocery stores (like one in a farmer's garage, go figure), and learn the postal system, and understand the holidays better.  Even after 4 years, you still find new stuff that surprises you.

This is school.  And this is what life is like for a 4yo.  When a child arrives, there is no need to think about seasons, holidays, meals, etc. What's the point?  As they get older and they find repetition and are able to expect what comes next, there is more excitement, more joy, in discovering something new. 

There are days my K'er and I spend a few hours watching the ants, flying kites, visiting city gardens to see what has changed.  We get to be in the know when the art museum moves exhibits, because we're there at least once a week.

Last week, this was school:

-visit with firefighters and try on their gear.

-read a book about a forest fire.

-watch a video on plants and how insects pollinate them.

-dissect a flower and a bud, looking at them under a microscope.

-play chess, memory, and Gobblet

-dig holes in the backyard and throw leaves up in the air

-feel the difference between alpaca and sheep's wool, attempt to spin it, weave ribbons and then work on a child's loom.

-play with play food, having a picnic

-daring to draw a picture just using straight lines

-math puzzles

-practicing one sentence until it could be written from memory.

-working with clay and watercolors

-playing with tractors and dump trucks

-jigsaw puzzles

-library story hour

-c-rod exploration

-made a compass with a needle and a cork

-made a sundial with his shadow (every hour, standing in the same spot)

-cuddling up with a good book at bedtime and evening

-legos and wooden blocks

-playdoh

-acting out stories with his Imaginext sets

-memorizing a poem

-4 math worksheets

This is FUN.  These are activities he can explore, and do again and again and build that knowledge of repetition so that later he can apply it.  For the reading, yes, my kid can read.  He can read very well.  He's not ready to sit and read long chapter books, so each week we go to the library and I pick good picture books that either I will read to him at bedtime or he will read to himself, or I'll pick books I know he loves and would like to read again. His writing is weak, but I'm more concerned with him doing one thing right than a lot of things wrong, hence the short copywork.  He can concentrate on a handful of letters and be proud of that, rather than be tired of a block of them and do them poorly.  Last year, writing was almost nonexistent.  He drew in sand, used stencils, worked on fine motor skills individually...and then was ready to write.  Next year I'll add a writing curriculum maybe.

We don't do worksheets except in math, and he really likes math.  He likes alternating between using the manipulatives and writing it down (timing himself).  If he wasn't down with an activity we wouldn't do it.  I'd assess the skill needed, think about just the skill in isolation, and then dream up other ways to meet it if it was truly important.  If he wanted to do something a different way, he could do it.

Last year we did a lot of the same sort of thing, but without the math worksheets and the copywork.  We went to festivals, explored the town, focused on what happens next in predictive activities to prepare him for this year.

Next year?  Well, we'll probably add again, just a little.  And then the year after...and then the year after...I don't need him to have a 5th grader's workload at 5yo.  Slow and steady will build skill and knowledge just fine. 

Can my son come to play with you guys!  :-)   Having older boys I don't have as much time to do a lot of field trips and "extra" planned things.  :(

Thank you so much for all of your ideas!   I want to think outside the box and do other type of "learning" and decided to let him have some type of "control" to what we do each day.  Granted we do have read alouds about 1-1/2 hrs. a day along with Bible devotions and memory work.  He also does calendar most days these are no problems and he enjoys them. So along with that I decided with writing, math, reading instruction, etc. I would branch that out more and just have "activities" that he can choose from each day such as:  work a puzzle, make a card, read a book, nature walk, work mazes, play dough, cut/paste pictures, board games, music etc. that he can choose a few to do each day so at least I feel we accomplished something!  I made three glass jars one for "to do", "Daily" and "Done" jar.  He picks a few things to put in his daily jar so he knows what he is doing that day and when they are done he put them in the done jar.  So far he has liked the idea (maybe from newness) but at least it a start!  :) 

• Like 1