Menu

What are you reading aloud this month, for school or fun (or both!)?

6packofun

We have several read alouds that we cycle through during Morning Time. We have just finished Her Stories and are almost done with Fifty Famous Stories Retold. We are in the process of reading aloud the following:

From Sea to Shining Sea

Lives of the Scientists

Heroes of the Environment

The Autumn Moon

The Wild Muir

Lives of Extraordinary Women

We Were There Too!

We have several read alouds that we cycle through during Morning Time. We have just finished Her Stories and are almost done with Fifty Famous Stories Retold. We are in the process of reading aloud the following on a rotational basis:

From Sea to Shining Sea: A Treasury of American Folklore and Folk Songs

Lives of the Scientists

Heroes of the Environment

The Autumn Moon

The Wild Muir

Lives of Extraordinary Women

We Were There Too!

101 Changemakers

Abraham Lincoln's World

Right now we are reading Wonder. For fun. DS loves it, and I do too. :) It's timely since DS is the new kid in the neighborhood and is fielding questions like, "what is homeschooling?" from his peers for the first time. And I love some of the pop culture references in the book.

We're also reading Sapiens. We'd taken a break, but DS asked for it last night so we started it again.

Those are the fun books. Everything else is ... School stuff. Fun, but perhaps not noteworthy here.

• Like 2

School reading has been a lot of non-fiction through the Renaissance (Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines, Famous Men). Hamlet will be coming up soon though. No time for fun read-alouds anymore, but we're listening to The Graveyard Book in the car as we drive around to kid activities.

• Like 3

Disclaimer: as of this fall, I am no longer home schooling.  My youngest just started high school.  But I am still reading aloud!

For him, it's The Once and Future King

For 18 yo, I am reading Resilience:  Hard Won Wisdom for Living a Better Life by Eric Greitens.  He is transitioning slowly to adulthood and has had a serious depression, so it seemed apt.  Many references to the ancients which my classical heart likes!

• Like 2

Langs fairy tales (during sensory play time with dd3, but usually everyone listens), Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (all the kids), Little House (dd2's bedtime story), and Eragon (dd1's bedtime story), various picture books (dd3's bedtime stories), Pippi Longstocking (audio in the car), Story of the World (together during school).

I just finished reading The Neverending Story to dd1 at bedtime and it was fantastic.

• Like 1

We just finished The Wanderings of Odysseus and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. Both were hits with my 7 and 9 year olds. I absolutely loved Mrs. Frisby; as a child, I think I had only seen the animated film and somehow missed reading the book. My boys just started listening to The Indian in the Cupboard.

• Like 2

How are you coping? Don't you want to slap her?

Ha. Well, we are only three chapters in, but to me she's obviously a witch on leave. (Like a potions and wands witch.) I suppose the story may reveal itself otherwise but so far I like my notion that she was burned out on the witching business so she decided to nanny for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We finished The Willoughbys last week.  DD9 (and whoever is in the room) is listening to me read The Little Princess. Based on her asking me to read the servants' words in proper English so she can understand them, we may move onto The Secret Garden.  She read it herself for fun but it sounds like she skipped whatever the servants had to say. 

We may also be reading The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan, which is probably not your typical read aloud!  Last night, I was trying to get my son interested in something new and so I read the first few chapters out loud last night as a teaser.  He grudgingly listened and seemed to enjoy it but we'll see if it continues.

• Like 1

We just finished The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which both ds and I enjoyed very much. We're currently reading through As You Like It for his Shakespeare class, and Ever Since Darwin for his biology class project (though we may be switching books if this one doesn't start holding ds' interest better). Not sure what our next literature read-aloud will be yet, probably either Fahrenheit 451 or Slaughterhouse Five. Reading aloud while bundled up on the couch with our dogs is ds' favorite part of homeschooling, so we'll continue with read-alouds for as long as he still enjoys them.

Last night, I was trying to get my son interested in something new and so I read the first few chapters out loud last night as a teaser.  He grudgingly listened and seemed to enjoy it but we'll see if it continues.

My 9yo VERY grudgingly started listening to read-alouds a little over a year ago.  He would complain every single time I cracked open a book, but I just ignored him and kept going.  Now, he actively looks for the next read-aloud!  LOL