Menu

What are you reading aloud this month, for school or fun (or both!)?

6packofun

We're reading Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm right now. We just finished Half Magic and The Enormous Egg. Next we might try The Railway Children. I just bought the free Kindle version. I haven't ever read it, but I grew up with Five Children and It.

Both kids started listening to the D'Aulaires Greek Myth audiobook today.

• Like 1

Dh and I do separate read-alouds with dd. Currently I'm reading The Copernicus Legacy: the Forbidden Stone by Tony Abbott. and he's reading The Cat of Bubastes.

How are you liking The Copernicus Legacy ?  Saw this at the library and it looked interesting.  How neat that you each do a book with dd!  Love that.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for spooky read-alouds for a 9yo that likes scary, particularly a mystery, but nothing graphic/gross?

ds asked for the Betsy-Tacy books again when we finished the Oz books.

We're both thoroughly enjoying them.

I just thought of them as "little kid" books until someone on the internet dissed them as "girly books that boys would hate! What is WRONG with this recommended reading list?" and then I got self conscious and kept asking ds if he was SURE he wanted to keep going and didn't want me to read Hunter Kyllyr McPenis instead.

He doesn't. He likes Betsy-Tacy. We have the complete set left over from grown up sisters and he wants to read them all.

Just finished the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I was surprised by the enthusiastic response it got from kids ages 6 up to 14. Now they want to read some more of the Oz books.

They're public domain. We read them all.

Reading together: The Return of the King and King Solomon's Mine

A is reading Silas Marner

B is reading The Bronze Bow, working her way through the Regina Doman books (Waking Rose), Dragonflight

I'm reading Bertie Plays the Blues, essays by Lewis, and How to Read a Book

I went through a drought where the kids hated the last three books I selected, and they insisted we stop without finishing.  I don't like groans when I say let's read!  Now, I'm reading Harry Potter and they like it (my son, especially).  After this first one, I don't know what we'll read.  I need to make a master list but I never know what kind of mood my kids will be in.  Plus, they listen to audiobooks (repeating the ones they like such as Ramona and Henry Huggins and Boxcar Children) most days, also.

How are you liking The Copernicus Legacy ?  Saw this at the library and it looked interesting.  How neat that you each do a book with dd!  Love that.

Not sure yet; we're not too far in. But I thought it looked interesting too so I figured we'd try. So far there's a special map and it's the key to something but we don't know what yet. Hopefully it will be a worthy adventure!