Menu

s/o GiveMeMoney ... what about this kind of situation? cc

Luanne

What if a person were feeling led by God to make a huge change in their life and they were having trouble getting up money for plane tickets to make that change happen?  It wouldn't have to be a large sum of money, just enough for one way tickets to another state.

Does this person have a close friend or two? That kind of situation, it seems to me, is best discussed with a close circle of friends/family--people who, I assume, would see that this change is absolutely beneficial and would welcome the opportunity to help.

I'm picturing a woman who wants to leave an abusive husband or someone seeking top-notch treatment for drug abuse, for example. I don't think a public fundraising campaign is the way to go for those things.

• Like 7

I think that the 'leaving an abusive situation' example is an emergency and needs to be done immediately, letting the chips fall where they may.  Gofundme's for medical stuff seems eminently reasonable to me.

God led me's -- there is a school of thought that if God wants you to do something, He will arrange for you to pay for it.  Gofundme's and 'we don't know where we're going to get the money for next month but we trust God and here's our address' letters seem inconsistent with that to me.

• Like 22

What if a person were feeling led by God to make a huge change in their life and they were having trouble getting up money for plane tickets to make that change happen?  It wouldn't have to be a large sum of money, just enough for one way tickets to another state.

Asking close friends/family for help would be fine to help in a non-emergency situation but for a non-emergency, you should be asking for a loan, not just for them to give it to you. Major medical help, abuse, etc, you ask anyone that could be helpful but in abuse, you don't want the world to know where you are going.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know what to say. Although I am generally against what I think of as online panhandling, I think if this is the first time the person has ever asked anyone for money and it is really necessary, it could be okay. Once. And if the person is always being "led by God" to ask for money to do something new, I wouldn't support that.

But a hardworking and responsible person who needs help with a one-time major life change? I might go for that. (But I don't think of this as a Christian issue -- the "led by God" part could be replaced with "gave it a lot of thought and believe it is absolutely necessary to do this," and I would feel the same way.)

• Like 3

I don't see anything in the Bible that supports panhandling - whether online or in person.  If God wants me to do something (ministry etc.) He provides the funds.  If not, then He's closed the door at least temporarily.  Sometimes people do let their needs known within their church etc. and people are free to give if they want to support the work but that is ministry related (mission trips etc.).  If people have trouble meeting their needs (food or shelter) then the church deacons (or the equivalent) should be helping.  But ultimately I live by this verse:  

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12New American Standard Bible (NASB)

11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, 12 so that you will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need.

• Like 11

I'm in the if God led you to do something he will provide the means camp and I don't think that involves GoFund me accounts.  They just feel sleezy to me.  There is a couple I know who are trying to adopt.  They have a similar type of account set up. Every update on their adoption process links through their fundraising account.  I am uncomfortable with it. If I general one time facebook page had been made, I would have been for more likely to contribute but seeing it for each monthly update has turned me off.

• Like 2

I think this is one for family and friends, not ask in a go-fund me way, but to seek counsel on how to raise funds. 

There are a ton of questions I would ask if someone came to me with that type of request. I would want to know it was a thought decision, even God wants us to ponder things a bit sometimes. I would also ensure they had examine themselves thoroughly to ensure the change they needed wasn't something inside themselves versus the change of a physical location. 

If this is a christian organization I would suggest they talk to their pastor or other spiritual advisor about ways to procure funding or to advise. 

One way ticket sounds permanent and almost desperate (I don't mean that in any way but what I stated). I would also ensure that person wasn't dealing with an abusive issue (physical or emotional) where they needed a more immediate relocation, even if local. 

Being led in a direction does not mean having to jump in the moment you feel led. I believe even God wants us to plan well before moving. 

• Like 4

I wouldn't contribute to any one who wanted a one-way ticket to anywhere for any reason. The ability to obtain a return-ticket is *always* necessary, and I'd hate to have contributed to someone getting in a bind away from home.

My family made a huge "God led us" change.  There have been times we've thought we made the mistake of our lives, and times we've been absolutely certain we've done the right thing.   Our financial situation was such that we had the money to get started, though we didn't know how long it would last.  God has sustained us.

An important part of our process was seeking wise counsel from people who were ahead of us as far as spiritual maturity.  Our pastor, other pastors we knew, wives of pastors... blah blah, you get the idea.   I would start there before trying to raise money.   Before I would give money to a "God is leading me to..." cause, I would want to see the vision and plan.

Some of the questions that come to mind for you are:  What do you plan to do there? Do you know people there; do you have a good place to land?  Is there a church you can plug into immediately?    Are you running from something, or running to something?   Why do you think God wants you to go to this place, and not make changes right where you are?   I'm not asking the questions for you to answer here.  And I don't presume you have not thought this through, but I often benefit from reminders like that. 

• Like 4

I'm in the if God led you to do something he will provide the means camp and I don't think that involves GoFund me accounts. They just feel sleezy to me. There is a couple I know who are trying to adopt. They have a similar type of account set up. Every update on their adoption process links through their fundraising account. I am uncomfortable with it. If I general one time facebook page had been made, I would have been for more likely to contribute but seeing it for each monthly update has turned me off.

We fundraised for our adoptions. It killed me to do it, but the alternative to me feeling sleazy was for our kids to never have a family. We sold everything we could, made things to sell, worked extra, everything.

We were the very last people who could have adopted one of our sons because of his age. He is so sweet and gentle. The location he would have been transferred to literally keeps adult men locked in a cage under a roof. The abuse my vulnerable son would have suffered is unthinkable. Two of our sons were in a place that was okay, but their orphanage has changed since then. The kids there can't be adopted anymore and at 18 they are sent back to the adult male mental institution on the grounds. Half naked men sitting on benches rocking and moaning. One of my sons would have still been able to be adopted if we hadn't adopted him, but at 11 he wore the same size diapers as a 1 year old.

I hated to fundraise. But my kids are home and safe. They ate big stacks of pancakes for breakfast and played outside and watched cartoons this morning. They are being educated after years of being spoken to so rarely that they weren't competent in their first language. We pay for their medical bills and everything else. But I swallowed my pride to get them here. So I couldn't fault someone for doing the same. I also don't fault anyone who deleted me on Facebook.

• Like 10

The religion thing doesn't really come into play for me, but if it was someone I knew, it would absolutely depend on what the life change was. They want to move to a developing country to care for orphans? Sure, here's a donation. They need to move for work or else they'll end up homeless? Okay, let me help with that. They want to move on a whim just to try something new that benefits no one but themselves? Have fun, but I'm not funding it.

• Like 13

I would not donate money, but I would offer the opportunity to earn some. "I have some weeds in the front flowerbed. I was going to pay someone $100 to get it cleaned out for me. I'd be willing to pay you to do it."

Sadly, in my experience, the people begging for money are really not interested in actually having to work for it. 

• Like 10

What if a person were feeling led by God to make a huge change in their life and they were having trouble getting up money for plane tickets to make that change happen? It wouldn't have to be a large sum of money, just enough for one way tickets to another state.

I can't imagine God wanting me to change my life in a way that includes a 1-way ticket to another state?? God changes your heart, not your location. I would be very suspicious of anything that could be life changing if only I could get to XYZ location. That is how people end up in cults.

• Like 9

The religion thing doesn't really come into play for me, but if it was someone I knew, it would absolutely depend on what the life change was. They want to move to a developing country to care for orphans? Sure, here's a donation. They need to move for work or else they'll end up homeless? Okay, let me help with that. They want to move on a whim just to try something new that benefits no one but themselves? Have fun, but I'm not funding it.

I'm here.  If you are moving to serve people in desperate circumstances, here's my checkbook. If you are moving to survive (work, climate, escaping someone), I'll help.  If you are moving to feel more fulfilled, good luck but no.

• Like 6

We fundraised for our adoptions.

<snip>

I have supported fund raisers for adopting a child, particularly a child in a terrible situation.  I think that is pretty different from what the OP is describing - at least, based on what I infer from the post.

You rescued children!     :hurray: 

:grouphug:

• Like 7

We fundraised for our adoptions. It killed me to do it, but the alternative to me feeling sleazy was for our kids to never have a family. We sold everything we could, made things to sell, worked extra, everything.

We were the very last people who could have adopted one of our sons because of his age. He is so sweet and gentle. The location he would have been transferred to literally keeps adult men locked in a cage under a roof. The abuse my vulnerable son would have suffered is unthinkable. Two of our sons were in a place that was okay, but their orphanage has changed since then. The kids there can't be adopted anymore and at 18 they are sent back to the adult male mental institution on the grounds. Half naked men sitting on benches rocking and moaning. One of my sons would have still been able to be adopted if we hadn't adopted him, but at 11 he wore the same size diapers as a 1 year old.

I hated to fundraise. But my kids are home and safe. They ate big stacks of pancakes for breakfast and played outside and watched cartoons this morning. They are being educated after years of being spoken to so rarely that they weren't competent in their first language. We pay for their medical bills and everything else. But I swallowed my pride to get them here. So I couldn't fault someone for doing the same. I also don't fault anyone who deleted me on Facebook.

I would view that differently.  Yes it's so you can adopt a child, but it's more than you getting a child, it's getting a child out of a horrible situation and that wouldn't bother me at all.  The people I mentioned are looking for a healthy infant.  Yes, those children need homes too but there are hundreds of families lined up to take those babies.  Helping fund that seems a little like funding their own personal wants.  Adopting a special needs kid falls into a different realm because so many of them never even find families who are willing to love them.

• Like 9

Yes, I do know people there and my daughter and I both would be in a position to make a positive difference in a lot of people's lives once we get there.

Has your daughter been called too? Has she come to you, independently, saying that your god has called her to this?  Have the people "there" indicated to you that your god is preparing them for your arrival and has indicated to them that you (specifically you) are supposed to be there?  If so, it's curious they haven't offered, of their own accord, to get you and your daughter there.

I think the best way to identify a calling as opposed to a want is independent confirmation, completely unsolicited, from other individuals.

When I was a Christian, I would have given you money only under these circumstances.

• Like 1

Yes, I do know people there and my daughter and I both would be in a position to make a positive difference in a lot of people's lives once we get there.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you're trying to get people to give you money for a move that is not out of necessity, saying things like this sort of comes across like, "I am so wonderful that my mere presence will enrich people's lives when I get there without me actually having to perform any sort of concrete action." :P If you're planning to try to get people to donate for your move, you may want to have a more specific list of how you plan to make a difference when you get there. It would probably make people feel more comfortable about donating.

• Like 7

Has your daughter been called too? Has she come to you, independently, saying that your god has called her to this?  Have the people "there" indicated to you that your god is preparing them for your arrival and has indicated to them that you (specifically you) are supposed to be there?  If so, it's curious they haven't offered, of their own accord, to get you and your daughter there.

I think the best way to identify a calling as opposed to a want is independent confirmation, completely unsolicited, from other individuals.

When I was a Christian, I would have given you money only under these circumstances.

Yes.  Two calls:

Internal call: I can say "I really feel I ought to be doing this."

external call:  Multiple someones say "Hey, you should be doing this! Have you ever thought about doing this? How can we help you get started?"

If the people in the new location are wanting you to come, because they feel that your being there would be helpful to them, then I would think they would be willing to help buy the plane tickets.

I am having trouble putting my finger on it, but there's something about this that just rubs me the wrong way. 

I would probably feel better about it if the persons involved were "endorsed" or sent by a formal church leadership. However, this would probably eliminate the need for the original question, as the church leadership could probably access a fund or mission donations to help move the project forward if the need was really so extreme.

Someone just deciding on a "whim" that God is sending them to x location and they need money to do it? I'd probably not participate beyond prayer. 

ETA: coming back because I'm still mentally processing my thoughts. . .This feels so strange to me, just as strange as if I were to say, "God is leading me to keep going to school to finish my nursing degree so I can serve others, but I need money donations to pay my tuition so I can accomplish God's will." Uh, I'd be willing to guess that there wouldn't be many people who would donate. They'd probably all be talking about why I felt I was more entitled than everyone else who is seeking God's will.

Not to say I don't believe in missions. See paragraph 2. 

• Like 3

What if a person were feeling led by God to make a huge change in their life and they were having trouble getting up money for plane tickets to make that change happen? It wouldn't have to be a large sum of money, just enough for one way tickets to another state.

A huge change like leaving an abusive relationship?

I am having trouble putting my finger on it, but there's something about this that just rubs me the wrong way.

I would probably feel better about it if the persons involved were "endorsed" or sent by a formal church leadership. However, this would probably eliminate the need for the original question, as the church leadership could probably access a fund or mission donations to help move the project forward.

Someone just deciding on a "whim" that God is sending them to x location and they need money to do it? I'd probably not participate beyond prayer.

This was my feeling as well. I'd also wonder why waiting a few months while they saved the money to buy tickets wouldn't be their first priority. If they truly are called to this location then they'd be pocketing everything extra to get there. If saving money isn't doable then how could they possibly provide for themselkves once they get to the new location?

OP, not judging you, just typing out what my thoughts and concerns would be if someone asked me to help them find what you mentioned. I'd need to know a lot more before determining it was a good idea to donate. My first instinct is not to donate in this case.

• Like 3

Personally, unless I was getting out of an abusive, dangerous situation, I would wait until I had earned the money to buy my own ticket. If this has something to do with mission work, I would discuss it with my pastor to get his advice. Perhaps it's something some in your congregation would like to support. Generally, I would never ask for money unless I was pretty desperate - safety, health, facing homelessness.

• Like 9

If God is calling someone to do it, then God is going to fund it.  Someone will just decide that he feels compelled to give the person money.  There will be some unexpected refund for something.  Some bank mistake in your favor will be made.   If it is not an emergency sort of situation, you will be working on it too, and saving money toward that end before it happens. 

That's how it works in my understanding and in my experience. 

I can't tell you how many times I have both heard and been the first example (before I hear the story behind it). 

• Like 4

This is awesome.  You literally changed lives.  I would have donated to that in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

No, I would not likely give for something like this, through a go fund me type site.

I do think those sorts of sites can be useful for some kinds of things, but in general, if I were looking for donations for something like this that is more personal, it would be through personal connections.

Also, as far as mission work, I would be more comfortable, for many reasons, with something that had some kind of endorsement through an organization.  Mission work is not as straightforward as people like to think at times - it can be done badly, even when people have the best of intentions.

• Like 4

It seems to me that the person being led by God to do something should find a way to self-finance that thing. So, get a second job for a few months to save up the plane tickets. If God is leading you to do something, then God probably wants you to work for it, not mooch for it. IMHO.

• Like 5

Personally, unless I was getting out of an abusive, dangerous situation, I would wait until I had earned the money to buy my own ticket. If this has something to do with mission work, I would discuss it with my pastor to get his advice. Perhaps it's something some in your congregation would like to support. Generally, I would never ask for money unless I was pretty desperate - safety, health, facing homelessness.

This

I think it is fine to ask for money for different reasons, as long as you do it respectfully and graciously accept the negativity that might come your way.

If a friend asked me to support their <whatever> that they feel led by God to do...and it wasn't illegal or immoral...I'd support them.

Perhaps God led them to ask me for some moolah. :D Bc God knows I'm a soft touch. :lol: and God knows that I'll give people money for a bus ticket to see the Pope.

"Ask unsinkable. She's good for a few bucks."

• Like 3

Honestly?  I would leave out the "led by God" part.  I've known too many people who felt "led by God" to pack up their entire family and move, only to find a few months later that it didn't work out well, and then being "led by God" to move back again.  I think it's really difficult to truly know if God is telling us to do something, but even if we are quite certain, I think that part should mostly be kept private and considered more as a silent, private nudging. 

So publicly, you would say "This is something very meaningful to me that I would like to do, and I feel that I could be helpful to this particular situation."  Then, go ahead and earn the money any way you can.  If you want to try it on Gofundme or a similar site, it's your perogative.  Or, you could get an extra part-time job for a few months, or try selling some of your belongings on Craigslist.

Without knowing specifically what the situation is, that's what I would recommend.

• Like 2

When your church leadership and Christian friends ask how they can pray for you or meet any other needs you might have (something regularly done in healthy churches) you can tell them you think God is calling you to ____________________ and you'd like prayer for clarity and wisdom about it and if you're right that God will provide the funds for that and that you're willing to work to earn those funds.  

• Like 4