Menu

Which book title do you think is better for my book? A poll.

Ginevra

Which book title is more compelling to you?   

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better title for a declutter and organize book?

• Intentionalism: How to Release the Unnecessary And Cherish the Worthwhile.
    • Delete: How to Release the Unnecessary
    • Some other subtitle with Intentionalism
    • Some other subtitle with Delete
    • Something completely different (make a suggestion!)

Something different.

Delete is a very negative word to me.  It is not a book I would even pick up off a shelf, I wouldn't want to spend time in a book that kept telling me to delete things from my life.

Intentionalism sounds overly complicated, and doesn't evoke the emotion I would want.  I want clear, simple, doable....not overly complicated.  For perspective though...I am dyslexic and it took me three times to even read the word.  My brain kept getting lost.  I wouldn't pick it up.

I prefer positive sounding words if I am going to work on improvement.

Let go

Release

Clear

Open

free  (over used)

simplify (over used)

• Like 5

Something different. At a quick glance- which is all most books get nowadays- "Intentionalism" looks too much like "Internationalism" and makes me thing it'll be some dry, academic book. And "Delete" makes me think it will be something to do with computers.

Something else... hmm... Unburden? Is that a word? Lol. My brain is out of the office tonight. :p

ETA: Funny aside... I tried googling synonyms for "unburden," and some of them made me giggle. Like "Discharge." I would not call the book Discharge. Or "Dump."  "Unbosom" also made me giggle. I think you should call it "Unbosom."  :lol:

• Like 10

Delete is a very negative word to me. It is not a book I would even pick up off a shelf, I wouldn't want to spend time in a book that kept telling me to delete things from my life.

Interesting perspective. I never saw it that way. When I delete a bunch of e-mails, I feel so relieved. Same when I delete a heap of messages off my phone. This was how I saw the connection. I don't really want to actually say the word "declutter," because I think it's overused. That was how I thought Delete would work. :)

Interesting perspective. I never saw it that way. When I delete a bunch of e-mails, I feel so relieved. Same when I delete a heap of messages off my phone. This was how I saw the connection. I don't really want to actually say the word "declutter," because I think it's overused. That was how I thought Delete would work. :)

Funny how the same word brings to mind different connotations. 

I hate having to delete emails, files and texts. It is boring, tedious and sedentary. I usually save the sorting and purging for when I am stuck sitting in a car waiting for my kids.  

I work at a computer all day.  When I am deleting things at my job, it means there was a screw up and we need to fix a problem.   

That is what delete means to me......to get rid of something you messed up, or don't want anymore.  It may have not been a mistake perse, but will never be useful again.  That is why you want it gone forever. 

• Like 1

I heard it the same way, but maybe "Reboot" or "Refresh" would work?

Funny how the same word brings to mind different connotations.

I hate having to delete emails, files and texts. It is boring, tedious and sedentary. I usually save the sorting and purging for when I am stuck sitting in a car waiting for my kids.

I work at a computer all day. When I am deleting things at my job, it means there was a screw up and we need to fix a problem.

That is what delete means to me......to get rid of something you messed up, or don't want anymore. [/b]It may have not been a mistake perse, but will never be useful again. That is why you want it gone forever[/b].

Actually, I identify a reason for decluttering that is precisely this. Clutter is anything which, while once useful, is no longer useful to you. that's why you should release it where it can be useful to someone else. :)

I'm way too disorganized and scattered to think of a good book title. ;)

I think it is incredibly cool that you wrote a book, though!!! :hurray:

Aww, thanks. It's not really that cool until it's published, though.

• Like 1

Delete: How to Release the Unnecessary And Cherish the Worthwhile.

I think whether Delete works depends on the tone/look and target market of the book. I personally really like it. If you were maybe looking for a more cosy/crafty/home makery type book then it might be jarring and something with a more cutesy positive sound could be better. The title reminds me of some of the titles of e-courses I've done (which is a good thing). So many of them have used a punchy word in a slight odd way that makes perfect sense once you think about it.  

• Like 1

I like the way Delete draws your attention. I agree with others that Intentionalism sounds too academic... plus, if you're writing to a broad audience, you really have to keep the reading level waaaay down. I think there are too many 'isms' already anyway.

Are you going to self-publish or use an actual publisher? If you're using a publisher, they'll probably come up with a title for you (I've read more than once that the publisher forced a title on an author that the author didn't really like, but it was that or finding a different publisher or something). That said, having a working title is still going to be useful when pitching the book to them. That said, the title should match the book.

Outgrown: Letting go of yesterday's stuff  

The cover could have a picture of a child trying to squirm into last year's clothes.

I think Outgrown has a more positive connotation.  Growth is good.  Letting go of stuff can be a celebration of that growth.

• Like 8

I read your list of suggested titles before seeing your mention of the book being about decluttering, and my mind immediately jumped to thinking this was about emotional baggage. Decluttering never even entered my mind, so if you go that route, you might want to include the word declutter or something similar in a subtitle.

I like the term "outgrown" that was suggested above. 

• Like 2

The cover could have a picture of a child trying to squirm into last year's clothes.

I think Outgrown has a more positive connotation. Growth is good. Letting go of stuff can be a celebration of that growth.

I really love this a lot. If I go with this, you get a free copy...unless that would be clutter for you...

• Like 4

other...  I do like "How to Release the Unnecessary And Cherish the Worthwhile." as a subtitle...  I LIKE a short, catchy one or two-word title.

Delete still sounds too computery to me. Intentionalism doesn't immediately make me think of decluttering.

I don;t have any suggestions, but please let me know when I can buy this book!

• Like 1

I like the way Delete draws your attention. I agree with others that Intentionalism sounds too academic... plus, if you're writing to a broad audience, you really have to keep the reading level waaaay down. I think there are too many 'isms' already anyway.

Are you going to self-publish or use an actual publisher? If you're using a publisher, they'll probably come up with a title for you (I've read more than once that the publisher forced a title on an author that the author didn't really like, but it was that or finding a different publisher or something). That said, having a working title is still going to be useful when pitching the book to them. That said, the title should match the book.

Self-pub.

And yes...JK Rowling did not want to change her first manuscript title to "Harry Potter and the Sourcer's Stone," because the object that is the subject has always been called "The Philosopher's Stone." Bloomsbury insister, saying "Philosopher" will not convey magic to the American audience.

Lol, I wonder if it still bugs her.

• Like 1

I read your list of suggested titles before seeing your mention of the book being about decluttering, and my mind immediately jumped to thinking this was about emotional baggage. Decluttering never even entered my mind, so if you go that route, you might want to include the word declutter or something similar in a subtitle.

I like the term "outgrown" that was suggested above.

Yes, but I do not think physical clutter exists in a vacuum. One's environment reflects one's emotional state and vice versa. Stuff is not just about stuff.

• Like 2

I wouldn't use intentionalism in the title, as it has a different meaning than how it's being used here and sounds rather jargony to me. I really like Release the Unnecessary and Cherish the Worthwhile as the title itself or a subtitle.

I did find that alternate meaning and wondered if it is problematic.

I think Outgrown has a more positive connotation.  Growth is good.  Letting go of stuff can be a celebration of that growth.

I love this one!

And whoever said Freedom from your things. 

• Like 2

How about, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up Oh, yeah. That's been done. ;)

Actually, I think that book is an interesting example because I don't like that title at all. Abbreviating it doesn't work (which is why I like one word and then a subtitle; "tidying" is not that meaningful to Americans, and "Life-changing Magic" is a bit hyperbolic. However, it doesn't appear to be hurting her sales.

I'm jealous, a little bit.

Self-pub.

And yes...JK Rowling did not want to change her first manuscript title to "Harry Potter and the Sourcer's Stone," because the object that is the subject has always been called "The Philosopher's Stone." Bloomsbury insister, saying "Philosopher" will not convey magic to the American audience.

Lol, I wonder if it still bugs her.

It's only Sorcerer in the U.S. It's still Philosopher elsewhere in the world.

I have no idea what J.K. Rowling thinks about it, but if it was me, I might think something about arrogance and ignorance. ;)

• Like 1

The thing I like about "Delete" that I don't like about "Outgrown" is that the former is active. Delete puts the action on the reader, which is where I want it to be.

OTOH, the thing I like about "Outgrown" is that it works metaphorically as well as literally. There is a portion of the book where I talk about mental and emotional clutter; we do often retain habits and even relationships that we have outgrown. I like how that fits.

• Like 1