Menu

Drug free caffeine substitute - I have NEVER felt more alive!

KungFuPanda

Note the ages of my children below. I can fully appreciate this thread.

You deserve a medal!

Now I'm having tea to calm my nerves. I remember my mom spazzing and making me nervous, so I use all of my self control to hold my cup, not grab the handles, not make sudden protective moves, and to keep my voice at a normal level. I get that it's a learning process, but man I WISH they had drivers ed here to take the edge off. The one subject I've never wanted to homeschool. I never worried about property damage with math. Dd doesn't know that DH and I flip a coin to see who has to take her out. Today DH was all "I'm on a conference call." Coward!

• Like 12

I still hate to drive with my 20yo dd. The 18yo dd is okay, but I really have to grip onto something to keep my mouth shut.  16yo ds hardly makes me nervous. He is kind and drives very carefully when I am in the car.  I dread that we have 3 more to go...

I've taken my 15 year old dd out every day this week. In a Mini Cooper manual. I am so over this. And the driving school that is "required"? They have on their website they have to have 45 hours first with the parent! With the big bucks we have to pay them, it just doesn't seem fair that we end up with all the hair raising experiences and they get them AFTER we've taught them the basics!

You deserve a medal!

Now I'm having tea to calm my nerves. I remember my mom spazzing and making me nervous, so I use all of my self control to hold my cup, not grab the handles, not make sudden protective moves, and to keep my voice at a normal level. I get that it's a learning process, but man I WISH they had drivers ed here to take the edge off. The one subject I've never wanted to homeschool. I never worried about property damage with math. Dd doesn't know that DH and I flip a coin to see who has to take her out. Today DH was all "I'm on a conference call." Coward!

Hahaha.

My mother used to hang on to the strap (she called it a Jesus strap) and audibly pray while I was driving. My father was banned from taking me out after a few lessons like "That ***hole just cut you off! Get in front of him and slam on the brakes!"

• Like 8

I'm so grateful that ds had drivers ed before I had to take him out! They did 12 hours behind the wheel - they didn't even wan them to know how to turn the car on before they took the class. 

That said, I think parents should earn merit badges for doing things like this. We could have stoles that we wear to major life events (like college move-in day) so that we can all acknowledge each other! 

• Like 2

I'm teaching my teenager to drive. Today she pulled into Walgreens and said "Language! I'm pulling over this car until your attitude improves." And put it in park. FTR, "fuuuu" is NOT a swear word!

We had a great time, but MAN will that wake you up.

One of the most terrifying experiences of my life! In fact, I pretty much refused to teach my second oldest to drive. Now that she has her license, I will sometimes let her drive when I am in the car. (She is a very good driver.)

• Like 1

Driver's ed here requires 30 documented hours behind the wheel with a parent or legal guardian.  (My heart rate is going up just remembering them; scariest 30 hours of my life!)  

:grouphug: Op there isn't a tea on the market strong enough to calm your nerves after some driving lessons.  

• Like 1

Haha. DH and I both had to stop having our moms teach us to drive because they couldn't keep their mouths shut. My dad was able to restrain himself to sharply drawn breaths, which was much less distracting than all my mom's yelling.

It never occurred to me until this thread that having the kids take driver's ed before we take them out could save us a lot of stress.

Haha. DH and I both had to stop having our moms teach us to drive because they couldn't keep their mouths shut. My dad was able to restrain himself to sharply drawn breaths, which was much less distracting than all my mom's yelling.

It never occurred to me until this thread that having the kids take driver's ed before we take them out could save us a lot of stress.

I didn't get one house down with my stepmother before she made me pull over and get out. (She is a terrible driver, so it's funny.) My dad pulled out a book! He said he was right with the Lord and paid up on insurance.

• Like 11

I'm teaching my teenager to drive. Today she pulled into Walgreens and said "Language! I'm pulling over this car until your attitude improves." And put it in park. FTR, "fuuuu" is NOT a swear word!

We had a great time, but MAN will that wake you up.

Right-o. Like when DD was trying to understand the yielding in a traffice roundabout, and pulled all the way IN FRONT of someone before realizing she did not have right-of-way and STOPPED! I almost had a stroke. It is a miracle we were not hit.

DS is at Driver's Ed as we speak...oh, man, I have to do this again...

• Like 1

My mom doesn't drive and my father was so nervy that I only went out with him once. I never got a licence as a teen and it's been much harder to work out getting one now that I'm an adult. My dh takes me out driving for driving practice and that's been a real test for our marriage! I'm not a good driver. I guess that excuses me from teaching my children - hahaha! I guess there's a silver lining to not having a licence. 

• Like 1

Dh starts out the dc in a parking lot.  They have several lessons there before they get to try a quiet street.  Once they can start, stop, and turn smoothly, I can take over.  Until then, it's his job.  It's worked very well for us, and our dc are good drivers.  Hooray for dh!

• Like 2

Driver's ed here requires 30 documented hours behind the wheel with a parent or legal guardian. (My heart rate is going up just remembering them; scariest 30 hours of my life!)

:grouphug: Op there isn't a tea on the market strong enough to calm your nerves after some driving lessons.

Maryland requires SIXTY hours. I remember driving in a field and on rural roads while I was learning. Poor kids here are in the suburbs between two beltways. I swear I want to take her on a road trip to somewhere less populated to ease her into this more, and so there are fewer obstacles to hit.

I think there's one word we can all agree on:

Simulator!

Honestly, I believe my best skilled/quickest learner had the high score on Mario Kart. My most tentative driver got assigned more gaming time to improve reaction time. It really helped. Well, that and a loud screechy lecture titled "When I say put on the brakes, just do it and ask why later!!"

• Like 2

We have been doing this since January (19yo and 17yo) and my nerves are fried!  

Often it is the other drivers (yeah, I've shot a bird a few times).  They have no patience!  We even have THREE "Student Driver" magnets on the car and people still try to mow us down.  My 17yo has had to calm me down a few times because I was threatening to get out of the car at the next stop light and give those idiots a piece of my mind.

Yes, I'm in the throes of perimenopause.   :cursing:

• Like 3

I don't feel more awake, only like I'm going to throw up.  Right now ds15 has been working on learning to drive.  He drove home from the city the other day, right around rush hour.  I really did think I would puke.  When we finally got home I found my legs didn't work so well, and my hand was cramping from gripping the door handle.  Fun times. 

• Like 1

Maryland requires SIXTY hours. I remember driving in a field and on rural roads while I was learning. Poor kids here are in the suburbs between two beltways. I swear I want to take her on a road trip to somewhere less populated to ease her into this more, and so there are fewer obstacles to hit.

I grew up in a rural area where a busy road had a three way stop sign and maybe one other car.  There was no shortage of places to learn to drive.

Now we live in very unrural FL.  I am not sure how it will be teaching a teenager to drive amongst 6 million traffic lights, strip malls, retention ponds, and old people all doing 35 mph in the left lane because they need to turn in 5 miles.  :driving:

After teaching my first two, I finally understood the stress my mom was under when she yelled at my older brother about the low flying plane he was about to hit  :lol:   Interestingly, I don't remember her teaching the rest of us, we were just given the keys and told to find the dirt roads and practice.  

• Like 1

I grew up in a rural area where a busy road had a three way stop sign and maybe one other car.  There was no shortage of places to learn to drive.

Now we live in very unrural FL.  I am not sure how it will be teaching a teenager to drive amongst 6 million traffic lights, strip malls, retention ponds, and old people all doing 35 mph in the left lane because they need to turn in 5 miles.  :driving:

My philosophy is to only put my beginning driver in situations he can manage.  So at first it was a business parking lot on the weekends.  I drove to and from the parking lot because he wasn't ready for the open road.  Then it was the calmest roads at the calmest time.  I drive ds up to the "rich people's area" because that is where there is no traffic.  Then it was driving early in the morning because there are almost no cars on the road.  Now we're handling a bit of traffic but on routes that I know are easier even if it means going an indirect way.  Step by step and only what he can safely handle.  No white knuckles for me.  

• Like 1

My philosophy is to only put my beginning driver in situations he can manage. So at first it was a business parking lot on the weekends. I drove to and from the parking lot because he wasn't ready for the open road. Then it was the calmest roads at the calmest time. I drive ds up to the "rich people's area" because that is where there is no traffic. Then it was driving early in the morning because there are almost no cars on the road. Now we're handling a bit of traffic but on routes that I know are easier even if it means going an indirect way. Step by step and only what he can safely handle. No white knuckles for me.

This is exactly how we're doing it, but I still find it nerve-wracking. She has progressed to 25-40 mph residential areas. She's an ace at Mario Kart, but the skill has not transferred. There are no zero-traffic options around here. They really should have some sort of closed track so these kids can get good and competent handling the vehicle at every speed before they negotiate real cars and pedestrians. I'd pay for the time!

• Like 1

My philosophy is to only put my beginning driver in situations he can manage.  So at first it was a business parking lot on the weekends.  I drove to and from the parking lot because he wasn't ready for the open road.  Then it was the calmest roads at the calmest time.  I drive ds up to the "rich people's area" because that is where there is no traffic.  Then it was driving early in the morning because there are almost no cars on the road.  Now we're handling a bit of traffic but on routes that I know are easier even if it means going an indirect way.  Step by step and only what he can safely handle.  No white knuckles for me.  

We've done a step by step progression too, but it doesn't seem to help my nerves.  

I don't feel more awake, only like I'm going to throw up. Right now ds15 has been working on learning to drive. He drove home from the city the other day, right around rush hour. I really did think I would puke. When we finally got home I found my legs didn't work so well, and my hand was cramping from gripping the door handle. Fun times.

I may be a bit of an adrenaline junkie. I felt hyper when we got home. It was dd who felt pukey about it. We did not go out today. At this rate she'll get her license in two years.

This is the nice thing about having an unflappable Dad and brother... And a farm. My kids are already learning/practicing the basics whenever we visit (9 & 12). By the time they hit 15/16 they'll hopefully have the difference between gas and brake burned into muscle memory before we add in extra stuff.

I also fully intend to let Grandpa and Uncle do ALL driver training. They do.not.ruffle.

• Like 1