Menu

How do I get strong smells out of sheets?

Southern Ivy

So, my dh sweats like crazy when he sleeps. He sleeps with a towel on his pillow to keep oils and sweat from staining the pillow case and pillow.  (He's bald, so no hair to absorb it.) Anyway, even after I wash the sheets, there is still a strong "manly" smell - especially on the towels. It's not BO, just a "manly musk". 

A vinegar rinse seems to help a bit, but is there anything else I can use? 

Do you have a place where you can hang them out in the sun?

Also do you have a HE machine? We ended up with stinky stuff when we had a low water machine for awhile.

Agree with all of the above.

Also, if you have an HE machine, make sure to take the temperature of your washes.  Some machines label a cycle as "hot" when it's not remotely close to an actual hot wash.  A sanitize cycle may be what you need for your sheets.

Vinegar rinse for sure.  

Are you washing in very hot water?  Maybe add oxy to the wash?

I have it on the hot cycle and often use oxy. Still has the smell stuck in it. I'll up the vinegar rinse. 

Do you have a place where you can hang them out in the sun?

Also do you have a HE machine? We ended up with stinky stuff when we had a low water machine for awhile.

No place yet to hang in the sun, but I may see if DH can set something up for me. 

No, not an HE machine. I can never get stains out with one of those, so I made sure this one was "old fashioned". haha

Vinegar can help.  Mostly I prefer baking soda (not at the same time as the vinegar). I just throw some into the washer with the soap, half a cup or a cup.  I buy big bags at Costco.

Ahh, I do remember that one time, I used washing soda and that helped. I may grab another box. 

Hang them up outside in the sun.

No where yet, but as I just mentioned above, I may see if DH can put up a line for me in the back yard. 

When we had a front-loader it did a poor job of getting smells out of the linens. The only way I could get the smells out was to do a vinegar pre-soak. Vinegar rinses didn't work plus the laundry still smelled of vinegar afterward--bleah. Anyway, I pre-soaked with about a cup of vinegar (my machine drained and spun out the water at the end of the soak) then ran a normal hot wash cycle with second rinse cycle.

• Like 2

=

No, not an HE machine. I can never get stains out with one of those, so I made sure this one was "old fashioned". haha

I'm firmly convinced that peopel who invented HE machines have no children and sit in offices all day, never gardening, exercising or doing anything that might get the clothes....you know...dirty.

We are messy people and I need a machine that gets dirty clothes clean.

I hear you on the "old fashioned" machine. We kept the HE machine for exactly 2 weeks. After suffering with stinky clothes for that time, my dh bought the repair parts for the oldie and fixed it so we could return the HE piece of crap. I was very glad that he didn't haul off the old machine.

• Like 6

Scoop of Borax and Oxy something (the new Tide version works well). Extra hot rinse. Dry in the sun.

Oh--towels! I bet they need to be stripped. Using too much detergent is bad. It clings to the fibers and gets funky. Do a Borax/Oxy wash with extra rinse and no detergent. Check the last rinse cycle for suds. You may need to repeat. Bleach cuts the funk too.

• Like 2

I'm firmly convinced that peopel who invented HE machines have no children and sit in offices all day, never gardening, exercising or doing anything that might get the clothes....you know...dirty.

I hear you on the "old fashioned" machine. We kept the HE machine for exactly 2 weeks. After suffering with stinky clothes for that time, my dh bought the repair parts for the oldie and fixed it so we could return the HE piece of crap. I was very glad that he didn't haul off the old machine.

My sil has an HE. Dd had a very slight stain on some clothes, so I washed it at sil's house TWICE and the stain was still there. 

I did a better job of washing it out in the hotel sink! 

Scoop of Borax and Oxy something (the new Tide version works well). Extra hot rinse. Dry in the sun.

Oh--towels! I bet they need to be stripped. Using too much detergent is bad. It clings to the fibers and gets funky. Do a Borax/Oxy wash with extra rinse and no detergent. Check the last rinse cycle for suds. You may need to repeat. Bleach cuts the funk too.

I just ran out of Borax. I guess I need to grab some more. :) 

You all are definitely convincing me to try to get a clothesline in the back. 

• Like 2

Add some PineSol to the wash, along with the detergent.  It's the only thing that gets teen boy exercise smell out around here.  And yes, I've tried everything else that's been mentioned with no success.  PineSol works.

And I have to add -- I adore my HE front loader.  You couldn't pay me to go back to a top loader.  The two front loaders I've had have been worlds better than any of the top loaders I had (or my mom had) in terms of removing stains, odors, etc.

• Like 8

I use Nature's Miracle as a laundry booster. Add about 1/2 cup to the wash, let it soak 30 min before washing.

It's an enzymatic pet smell remover marketed for pet smells/stains & skunk spray. I buy the gallon jugs at a pet supply place.  (eta: make sure you shake the jug well before using)

• Like 2

I have been putting a drop of blue Dawn in every load for years (only put a little, because it can over-suds and damage the machine) . It releases the body oils that can trap stink.

For very stinky exercise clothes, I add about 1/2 cup of an environmentally safe PineSol alternative (just couldn't bring myself to put PineSol on our clothes, so using the "natural" stuff makes me feel better) .

I heard a radio show about laundry once that said bleach does not remove biological stains, so I don't know if I'd count on it to remove BO .

And I have to add -- I adore my HE front loader. You couldn't pay me to go back to a top loader. The two front loaders I've had have been worlds better than any of the top loaders I had (or my mom had) in terms of removing stains, odors, etc.

I'm the opposite. If I had to choose frontloader vs. hand wash - hand wash might win. Front loaders are a huge waste of time, energy, and money.

And I have to add -- I adore my HE front loader.  You couldn't pay me to go back to a top loader.  The two front loaders I've had have been worlds better than any of the top loaders I had (or my mom had) in terms of removing stains, odors, etc.

I do love mine, too.  However, not all front loaders are made the same.  I had to return one I bought initially because of abysmal washing temperatures that would have been completely ineffective at cleaning clothes.  The one I have now is good, but only because I am familiar with the water temperatures for each cycle.  If I relied on the washer's directions, I would not getting washing results I am happy with.  It took some time to figure out how to work around the programmed cycles, but now I can honestly say I love my washer.  It would be so much simpler to have a European washer where I could just set the temperature I want, but....oh well.

I've also found that consumer reports does a relatively poor job of reviewing washers.  The overall focus these days seems to be on how environmentally friendly machines are, how quiet they are and how quick the cycles are.  There does not seem to be much emphasis on actual wash temperatures (because there is a goofy enthusiasm for all cold water washes) and cleaning effectiveness.  

That's too bad you had a lemon of a washer. My stackable HE front loader cleans WAY better than any machine I've ever owned or used, zero stains, zero funk...I love it. I've absolutely never had my clothes get so clean (and detergent lasts forever--one $14.99 container of Mrs. Meyers laundry liquid lasts me an entire year). I can't imagine going back to old fashioned.

• Like 7

I also love my HE machine. Cloth diapers, vomit, horse poo---all no problem for my Whirlpool Duet.

I'm guessing that you have one of three problems:

1. oil buildup on the sheets (washing soda would help)

2. bacteria in the sheets (sunning or pine-sol or bac-out would help)

3. detergent build up on your sheets (run through a rinse cycle several times with no detergent until no bubbles are showing)

• Like 3

Be happy you have any kind of washer that will really wash clothes. Here in Japan, I've never had a washing machine that uses anything but cold water for washing.  Nothing gets really clean - I have to chuck most of the clothes after our trips here.  You can get hot water machines (from the US it seems) at laundromats and laundry services.  A wash (and dry - the machines often do both) can take 4 hours.

I have to manually change the load size to maximum water and put in only a half load of laundry with an extra long wash and 3 rinse cycles just to get things somewhat clean.

Be happy you have any kind of washer that will really wash clothes. Here in Japan, I've never had a washing machine that uses anything but cold water for washing.  Nothing gets really clean - I have to chuck most of the clothes after our trips here.  You can get hot water machines (from the US it seems) at laundromats and laundry services.  A wash (and dry - the machines often do both) can take 4 hours.

I have to manually change the load size to maximum water and put in only a half load of laundry with an extra long wash and 3 rinse cycles just to get things somewhat clean.

Yuck to cold water machines!!  That sounds awful!

Ammonia is good for removing grease, odors and the yellowing that happens on white sheets and pillow cases.  There are laundering directions on the bottle of ammonia, but it's probably not a good idea to use it on sheets or towels that you have bleached...

I don't have a clothes line, but I do have a back patio.  I hang sheets and blankets over the railing.  Easy!  

• Like 2

I have had good luck with a combo of Tide Sport and Pine-Sol. It had really tamed the teen boy funk.

I will have to look for some Tide Sport. I don't know that I've seen it in our little Walmart, but I bet I could find some next time we go to the city. 

Add some PineSol to the wash, along with the detergent.  It's the only thing that gets teen boy exercise smell out around here.  And yes, I've tried everything else that's been mentioned with no success.  PineSol works.

Two suggestions for Pine-Sol. I never would have considered that. I may try it!

A lot of times the smell is trapped in the oils-- wash with Dawn dish soap or some other anti- oil  soap, with hot water (to help with the oils too) and leave out in the sun afterwards (I have a stinky DH too)

A wash of borax (I found some leftover) and some washing soda, then rinsed, and soaked again in vinegar, then rinsed and dried took the smell down a bit after drying. However, I think I will try some of the Dawn soap when we get back from our trip next week. 

I use Nature's Miracle as a laundry booster. Add about 1/2 cup to the wash, let it soak 30 min before washing.

It's an enzymatic pet smell remover marketed for pet smells/stains & skunk spray. I buy the gallon jugs at a pet supply place.  (eta: make sure you shake the jug well before using)

So, I could probably find it at Pet Smart or somewhere like that? 

I have been putting a drop of blue Dawn in every load for years (only put a little, because it can over-suds and damage the machine) . It releases the body oils that can trap stink.

For very stinky exercise clothes, I add about 1/2 cup of an environmentally safe PineSol alternative (just couldn't bring myself to put PineSol on our clothes, so using the "natural" stuff makes me feel better) .

I heard a radio show about laundry once that said bleach does not remove biological stains, so I don't know if I'd count on it to remove BO .

We have colored sheets. No bleach!! :) What is the PineSol alternative? 

Soak in oxyclean overnight in hot water, then wash in the morning. I do this to get the stinky smell out of kitchen cloths. Just washing doesn't do it.

Soaking in oxyclean hasn't done anything. :( 

I'd try soaking in ammonia and really hot water . . . boil some up and soak it in a bucket if you must. I just soak in my top loader, but I keep my hot water heater too hot for a house with young children. My DH sweats through heavy judo gis. For those a long soak in hot water and ammonia does the trick. Also, ammonia is cheap but leaves no perfumey smells once it dries.

• Like 1

Dh is the same way. I have a top loader and the water is plenty hot. Even still, about the only thing that works for me is washing the sheets multiple times alternating between BioKleen Sport liquid with their Oxygen Bleach Plus and the BioKleen Premium Plus Laundry Powder with their Oxygen Bleach Plus. I probably wash them three of four times. Vinegar in the rinse.

Things I have tried that did not work -

*"stripping" via multiple methods, there are never any suds and I've just never found that any of it was very effective unless you're talking bleach

*oxyclean

*ammonia in the wash (which is a bummer because it always used to work for my mom)

*dawn dish detergent

*hanging them on the clothesline in the sun

A lot of these methods appeared to work, but if the sheets sat for any period of time (even just for a week), then the smell would come back. Multiple hot water washes is the only thing that works for me.

I don't want white sheets, but I'm tempted to go that route and use bleach. Except I really don't want whote sheets.

• Like 1

I just replaced the FLer I had for 11 years with a new one. I LOVE mine. It's done everything from cloth diapers to sick people sheets to my husband's oilfield clothes and it did them well. One tip my husband (formerly an appliance repair tech) always gives is to start at half the lowest recommended detergent and decrease the amount before you increase. In a FLer, too much soap is the most common problem. It leads to build up and odor issues. About once a month I run a plain warm rinse. If there's build up, it will suds up anyway. Let the cycle finish, then run a cold vinegar rinse. You might have to run several if the washer is old and you are dealing with years of build up. You'll know you're done when the warm rinse cycle no longer makes suds. Oh, and leave the door open for a bit after you're done washing so it can dry out and not mildew.

My new one has some detergent activating features and I'm only using a total of 2 Tbsp max to wash really dirty work clothes. I'm on a well so water use costs electricity, and my old FLer more than paid for herself. I expect based on the energy and water conservation ratings on this one to be well ahead monetarily as well. It cost $80 a month in electricity 11 years to provide water and power for a TLer. Never again.

• Like 1

I just replaced the FLer I had for 11 years with a new one. I LOVE mine. It's done everything from cloth diapers to sick people sheets to my husband's oilfield clothes and it did them well. One tip my husband (formerly an appliance repair tech) always gives is to start at half the lowest recommended detergent and decrease the amount before you increase. In a FLer, too much soap is the most common problem. It leads to build up and odor issues. About once a month I run a plain warm rinse. If there's build up, it will suds up anyway. Let the cycle finish, then run a cold vinegar rinse. You might have to run several if the washer is old and you are dealing with years of build up. You'll know you're done when the warm rinse cycle no longer makes suds. Oh, and leave the door open for a bit after you're done washing so it can dry out and not mildew.

My new one has some detergent activating features and I'm only using a total of 2 Tbsp max to wash really dirty work clothes. I'm on a well so water use costs electricity, and my old FLer more than paid for herself. I expect based on the energy and water conservation ratings on this one to be well ahead monetarily as well. It cost $80 a month in electricity 11 years to provide water and power for a TLer. Never again.

Yep. I use maybe 1/2- 1 tsp detergent per wash. It really is enough, no matter how sweaty the clothes are or how strong the preteen funk.

Yep. I use maybe 1/2- 1 tsp detergent per wash. It really is enough, no matter how sweaty the clothes are or how strong the preteen funk.

The 2 Tbsp is for the really nasty stuff DH brings in after working on tractors and such when I use the prewash cycle. I prefer to use about a 1tbsp for the wash and about 1/2 tsp of Dawn in the prewash for oily stuff. Normal washes top out at a tbsp.

• Like 1

Are your sheets and towels 100% cotton? If not, I'd replace them with 100% cotton ASAP. IME, stink sticks to synthetics something fierce, but I've never had 100% cotton stay stinky after a proper wash. Synthetic workout clothes, on the other hand, can hold a stink through a nuclear blast, lol.

With 100% cotton (white, please, but other colors can often be chlorine bleached, too, at your own risk) towels and sheets, you can hot water wash with chlorine bleach, and IME, that will turn the grossest nastiest things at least clean and odor free. I love white linens because you can hot water/bleach them. 

Also, I'd look into a different mattress and/or pillow for your poor dh!! That sounds so uncomfortable!!

• Like 1

That's too bad you had a lemon of a washer. My stackable HE front loader cleans WAY better than any machine I've ever owned or used, zero stains, zero funk...I love it. I've absolutely never had my clothes get so clean (and detergent lasts forever--one $14.99 container of Mrs. Meyers laundry liquid lasts me an entire year). I can't imagine going back to old fashioned.

Please share the name of this amazing thing...

All you front loader owners, please tell us what brands you have liked and/or disliked. I saw one brand only.

I have learned a ton on this thread. Thank you all!

OP, I hope you get a clothesline! Sunshine and fresh air are miracle workers, even if you find other ways to solve your problem.

All you front loader owners, please tell us what brands you have liked and/or disliked. I saw one brand only.

OP, I hope you get a clothesline! Sunshine and fresh air are miracle workers, even if you find other ways to solve your problem.

I like my Electrolux. We have 4 kids. 2 were in cloth diapers at one point. Miele is supposed to be good as well.

I love my 12 yo LG front loader & dryer. It not only works incredibly well but they have the ability to stack, which we ended up doing when we converted the laundry/half bath to a full bath.

About the worst thing I can say is that, after a decade of using way too much soap (beginning with three kids in cloth diapers for the first 6 years, so constant laundry) the sensor started wigging out from the residue build up, so now I use a tiny amount of detergent (the actual recommended by appliance repair people) and do a sanitize wash with washing machine cleaner about once a month. We also have really soft water, so salts build up on components, too, I'm sure. The washer cleaner and a vinegar rinse help with that, too.

OP- for really funky things or things with difficult stains (my husband's white work shirts that he usually does in the firehouse washer), I've found the Tightwad Gazette stain soak really works well. Cascade powder, Clorox 2, (and I add in some oxy, but it works well without) really hot water, and soak everything overnight in a bucket. It's sick how well it works.

I've been really happy with my LG steam washer and dryer set. 

• Like 1

I loved my whirlpool Duet, and my ILs bought the same series and love it, too. My new one is a Samsung wf45h6300 washer. My Duet dryer is still running like new.

The one brand I have heard universally bad reviews on and that my husband's rules will not help is an LG. the company that sold my ILs an extended warranty on the pair actually bought the washer and dryer back from them rather than repeatedly repair it.

Our first front loader was a Whirlpool Duet Sport, and I loved it.  I seem to remember that some people reported odor and mold issues with that model, but I never had a single problem in that regard.  Our second front loader is an LG (can't remember the model number) and it's truly excellent.  The Whirlpool was very good.  The LG is excellent.