Menu

Your favorite musical

Greta

I need a light/happy/fun topic.  :)

I fell head over heels in love with RENT the first time I saw it.  I got chills and I teared up during One Song Glory, which remains my favorite track from the musical, and one of my favorite songs of all time.

I also really enjoyed Mama Mia because those were songs from my early childhood.  I still remember when my baby brother was born and my Granny was taking care of me (I would have been 4).  I kept asking her to play the song about the pretty birds.  It took her a little while to figure out that I meant "Take a Chance on Me."  :D  But once she did, she must have played it for me a hundred times, while I sang and danced in the living room - she had the patience of a saint!  :lol:

I saw Wicked when we were in London, and that was great as well.  Mostly because it was in London  :)  but I liked the story and the songs too!

But that's really the extent of my experience with modern musicals.  I've seen the old ones like Fiddler on the Roof and The Sound of Music, and I enjoyed those as well.  But I'm sure there must be many good old ones and more recent ones that I've missed out on.  

Please enlighten me.  What musicals do I need to see?

No matter how many times I see a production of Les Mis, I cry. Every.single.time. 

We also like Godspell because everyone does it in a different way- we've seen it about 10 times and liked all but one of them. (In that one, it was set in a modern high school and they shot Jesus and stuffed him in a locker. Bizarre) My very favorite was one my kids were in, and our tech team built a coffin that collapsed (the boy playing Jesus went out through a trap door under the stage)  and then Jesus reappeared at the back of the theater, and walked down to the disciples. 

• Like 4

the English national opera version of the Mikado with erik idle as ko-ko.

pt. one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkOWxcbzn0

pt. two https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFou2XSrqk

and for this time of year:  :laugh:

(yeah - a musical about the declaration of independence. my boys even liked it when they were TEENS)

btw: they took a lot of the lines from letters and records. 

including when john adams is singing about seeing fireworks and parades. .. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds4dv4IS0PM john adams, ben franklin, and Thomas Jefferson - singing about the declaration.

• Like 2

We enjoy Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. So not PC, but heaven help me, "Bless Her Beautiful Hide" is so catchy. Also the barn-raising scene.

Singing in the Rain is a classic and family favorite. Phantom of the Opera as well.

• Like 5

I am not "cultured" but I loved the movie of Cinderella with Whoopi Goldberg and the rest of her multiracial cast.

My Mom watched this movie right after my little brother was born (still at the hospital). She now gets nauseous anytime anyone talks about it, much less sings a song from it. It is kind of funny. 

Legally Blonde is upbeat and a ton of fun.

I expected to hate Shrek the 1st time we saw it (Broadway tour at the Fabulous Fox), but was totally charmed. Of course, now I've seen it so many times, including some fairly crappy productions, that I'm totally over it.

Drowsy Chaperone is a fun time.

So is Urinetown, but in a different way.

Spamalot is also fun.

Gotta go, but I've got lots more. Like Daddy Longlegs, which is amazing if you've got a decent cast.....

(My kids are in theater/musical theater -- watching and discussing shows occupies a huge amount of our lives.)

• Like 1

Les Miserables.  

But honestly, I've rarely met one I didn't like.   Andrew Lloyd Weber is always good IMHO.  "Phantom of the Opera", "Cats,"  "Jesus Christ Superstar", "Evita", etc.  Heck, I even liked "Aspects of Love."

If you haven't tried operetta, give Gilbert and Sullivan a chance.  "Pirates of Penzance" is great.  

• Like 3

I grew up on all the oldies.  My dad was involved in local theater when I was kid, so I've seen a lot.  

I am not familiar with many of the newer ones.   So my favs may be dated:

Fiddler on the Roof

Roar of the Greasepaint, Smell of the Crowd

Cinderella (R&H -  "In my own little corner, in my own little chair".. just love that song)

Le Mis (makes me cry - beautiful music).

A Chorus Line

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Chicago

Musical Movies that I don't think we're on stage:

Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang

Singing in the Rain

• Like 1

I love Meet Me in St. Louis, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and Yankee Doodle Dandy.

But if you're talking Christmas musicals, I love, love, love White Christmas and Holiday Inn. I would argue that Holiday Inn isn't really a Christmas movie, though. ;)

• Like 2

Not all of these are available on film. However, you can find soundtracks.

Some relatively recent shows I haven't yet seen mentioned that we've enjoyed:

Hairspray

Catch Me If You Can

Newsies

Billy Elliot

Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson *

American Idiot *

Hedwig and the Angry Inch *

* Indicates strong language and mature themes. You might not want to listen with kids around.

I, too, was dragged to Shrek and expected to hate it, but enjoyed it a lot. The soundtrack album got heavy play for a number of months around here.

In terms of older, more "classic" shows:

West Side Story

Secret Garden

The Producers

The Music Man

Guys and Dolls

Brigadoon

Finan's Rainbow

Pippin *

Hair *

Oliver

Cabaret *

A somewhat obscure Kander and Ebb musical that my son and I saw in revival a few years ago and really enjoyed is Curtains.

My husband says I must mention both Chess and Book of Mormon, the soundtracks for which get played frequently (and loudly) during his commutes.

• Like 2

I have to say, I love "Teen Beach Movie." 

In fact, I'm watching it right now. :-) It's really cute and lots of fun. And I spent a lot of time over summer breaks when I was in jr high or so watching Gidget and "classic" teen beach movies, so the spoof/homage factor is most fun. 

• Like 1

Haven't read through the thread yet.  Looking forward to reading what everyone says.

My absolute favorite is Fiddler on the Roof, seconded by Sound of Music.  In fact I put on Fiddler just to cheer me up some days :)

I recently saw Into the Woods (movie version).  It was so good!  But a friend said that it was only a shortened version of the stage production, so we have a different version on hold at the library.

We're also looking forward to Phantom of the Opera coming in next week. :)

• Like 1

I've seen 42nd Street on stage three times and I get chills as soon as the audition number starts with just the sound of the entire cast tapping. The plot is a little thin, but the music and dancing, if done well, are excellent. The only movie version I saw years ago was creepy though.

The Sound of Music is my yearly must-watch movie musical. It's beautiful and sweet.

• Like 2

Dd just reminded me -- Addams Family.  So very amazing last year at the Muny.

Concur with Jenny on Hairspray.  Also, Billy Elliot.

Wicked!  Yes, definitely belongs on the list!

My "Want to See" list includes Matilda and Newsies, both of which are coming here next year. 

Love the stage version of White Christmas. 

Nunsense.

Really, a lot of these depend on the cast.  I've been forever scarred by a really bad Sound of Music.  I've seen productions of Joseph and the Amazing Tech. Dreamcoat that I liked, and others that really were ... okay, older dd's new phrase is, "you really made brave choices in your performance/lighting/blocking/directing/casting/etc," to give obscure feedback when you don't really want to come out and say, "wow, that sucked."  So, yeah, performances just chockablock FULL of brave choices.

Younger dd is voting for Tarzan, but it depends on the cast, because it can really be a slog.

Book of Mormon

• Like 2

Dd just reminded me -- Addams Family.  So very amazing last year at the Muny.

Concur with Jenny on Hairspray.  Also, Billy Elliot.

Wicked!  Yes, definitely belongs on the list!

My "Want to See" list includes Matilda and Newsies, both of which are coming here next year. 

Love the stage version of White Christmas. 

Nunsense.

Really, a lot of these depend on the cast.  I've been forever scarred by a really bad Sound of Music.  I've seen productions of Joseph and the Amazing Tech. Dreamcoat that I liked, and others that really were ... okay, older dd's new phrase is, "you really made brave choices in your performance/lighting/blocking/directing/casting/etc," to give obscure feedback when you don't really want to come out and say, "wow, that sucked."  So, yeah, performances just chockablock FULL of brave choices.

Younger dd is voting for Tarzan, but it depends on the cast, because it can really be a slog.

Book of Mormon

Billy Elliot is a musical ?!? Must.tell.dd.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Musical Movies that I don't think we're on stage:

Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang

Singing in the Rain

:blink:  :huh:   yeah - I guess that is a musical . . . . .

I'll kill him!  who?  the lyingist cheatingist sloppiest slave in all rome . . .  "ah, pseudolus".

phil silvers, zero moestel . . .

even has a cameo with buster Keaton.

very quotable.

chitty-chitty bang bang is good for kids.

i love Ragtime! It does have racial issues and language.

I also really enjoyed the current version of Pippin. A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder had amazing voices. Something Rotten was hysterical.

Other favorites are Hairspray, Les Mis, Joseph..., Little Shop of Horrors, Songs from a New World, and See Rock City.

Wicked, Matilda, Ragtime, and Legally Blonde soundtracks have been played around here recently.

• Like 2

Miss Saigon 

Sunset Boulevard

Crazy for You

Secret Garden

We watched Evita and counted it toward History the other day...I think we will skip Miss Saigon.  It's not a clean musical, but I love love love every moment of it.  Lea Salonga is awesome!

• Like 2

To avoid repeating...

How about Chess? It's dated (Cold War chess theme) but the music and lyrics are electrifying. One Night in Bangkok is the famous song from it , but the whole thing is at that level - intense and smart. I seem to remember it was written by members of ABBA.

I saw a filmed version of a stage production of it on PBS. I saw the original Into The Woods on PBS too as a kid and wow- the idea of a fairy tale mashup was so inventive back then, and the music and the subversiveness of some parts of it rocked me. So I guess Into the Woods is my favorite.

I'm still waiting for PBS to get modern classics like Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder and The Book of Mormon. Until then I watch performances of it's songs from the Tonys on YouTube.

• Like 4

Porgy and Bess is my fave. I love the music but also the amazing actors the film showcased, long before black casts were a thing.

I also enjoy pretty much everything Rogers and Hammerstein produced (I went through a phase in MS). I enjoyed live productions of Les Mis and Miss Saigon too.

• Like 3

There were about 4 years where we were able to get tickets to every performance in LA's Amundson theater. and the Mark Taper theater  They offered $10 tickets to all teachers in the inner city schools in the district.  I went to almost all of them.  They were $80 tickets!

Some of the musicals I saw:

Carousel

Phantom

Rent

Le Mis

Madame Butterfly

Annie

Showboat

Sweeney Todd

After we have moved to the E. Coast, I haven't seen as many.

However, we did see The Secret Garden, Seussical, Lion King, Scrooged, and Tarzan (yes, once we moved, kids had to come with me!  :lol: )

• Like 1

I made myself sick crying over 'Fiddler on the Roof.' How do you people cope with that? 

Les Mis will be my first favourite love forever, but I do enjoy the soundtracks to Chess and Martin Guerre too. Not really sure why, but I do. :)

• Like 1

To avoid repeating...

How about Chess? It's dated (Cold War chess theme) but the music and lyrics are electrifying. One Night in Bangkok is the famous song from it , but the whole thing is at that level - intense and smart. I seem to remember it was written by members of ABBA.

I saw a filmed version of a stage production of it on PBS. I saw the original Into The Woods on PBS too as a kid and wow- the idea of a fairy tale mashup was so inventive back then, and the music and the subversiveness of some parts of it rocked me. So I guess Into the Woods is my favorite.

I'm still waiting for PBS to get modern classics like Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder and The Book of Mormon. Until then I watch performances of it's songs from the Tonys on YouTube.

Chess is my all time favorite, I own the US and UK versions of the soundtrack and the PBS special as it's the only filmed version.

Love Rent and Mama Mia as well, Evita is often sung at the top of our lungs around here.

• Like 1

Are band movies (movies about a band being formed) the modern equivalent of musicals? Once made me think of The Commitments and I have God Help the Girl in my interlibrary loan order. 

Which reminds me of Hard Days Night. 

I have a strange affection for Flower Drum Song and The Mikado. I know how ridiculous they are, but I can't help myself. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed all the ones you mentioned. I'm not sure if you're asking for movie versions or the actual play, and I'm listing a mix of the two.

Singin' in the Rain

Yankee Doodle Dandy - so much so that dh gave me the dvd for Christmas one year

Grease - for the music. I love the music

Jersey Boys - I enjoyed the on-stage musical but the movie was missing something. This and Wicked are the most current ones I've seen on stage.

Cats

Les Mis

Nunsense

South Pacific - only because I remember my mother often singing "I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair" while actually washing her hair.  :lol:

I was leery about seeing Wicked because I read the book. Thankfully people convinced me that it wasn't the same and I should see the musical.

I'm not a huge fan of Camelot, but my mother loved that one. The other day I walked in to my local chain grocery store (Publix for those in the southeast U.S.), and I heard an amazing male voice singing a capella, "If Ever I Would Leave You". It turns out the guy who does the sample recipes was an opera singer until he retired. Someone had apparently talked him into giving us a sample of his singing. I have to say that was probably the coolest thing that ever happened to me during a grocery shopping trip. :D

• Like 6

I am not "cultured" but I loved the movie of Cinderella with Whoopi Goldberg and the rest of her multiracial cast.

The Cinderella musical I grew up with is the Lesley Ann Warren version. 

I like the older, historical musicals.

I love 1776, Fiddler on the Roof, Camelot, and Evita.

I forgot about Evita. Love that one! 

I too cry every time I see Fiddler.

Legally Blonde is upbeat and a ton of fun.

Spamalot is also fun.

The movie Legally Blonde is one of my secret pleasures. I really want to see the musical.

Ds wants to see Spamalot.

• Like 1

I enjoyed all the ones you mentioned. I'm not sure if you're asking for movie versions or the actual play, and I'm listing a mix of the two.

Both, so thank you!

Someone had apparently talked him into giving us a sample of his singing. I have to say that was probably the coolest thing that ever happened to me during a grocery shopping trip. :D

What a neat experience. :)

Fiddler on the Roof, where getting exile to Siberia isn't even the worse thing that happens to people!

Les Miz: Lots of poor people lose hope then die!
Annie: Female orphans in 1933 with an alcoholic foster parent who abuses them, everyone sing!

• Like 5

The Cinderella musical I grew up with is the Lesley Ann Warren version.

I forgot about Evita. Love that one!

I too cry every time I see Fiddler.

The movie Legally Blonde is one of my secret pleasures. I really want to see the musical.

Ds wants to see Spamalot.

They filmed a night of the Broadway Legally Blonde. You can watch the entire musical on YouTube.

• Like 1