Menu

Your favorite musical

Greta

I made myself sick crying over 'Fiddler on the Roof.' How do you people cope with that? 

Les Mis will be my first favourite love forever, but I do enjoy the soundtracks to Chess and Martin Guerre too. Not really sure why, but I do. :)

The music, I absolutely love the music.  

When I'm already down, it reminds me that things could always be worse.

• Like 1

Would someone please list DVD versions of your favorites that are enjoyable?

For example, the version of Les Mis with movie starts was a dud in my opinion but the PBS anniversary special was excellent.

Thank you from someone that cannot buy live performance theater tickets at this season of my life.

• Like 1

I need a light/happy/fun topic.   :)

I fell head over heels in love with RENT the first time I saw it.  I got chills and I teared up during One Song Glory, which remains my favorite track from the musical, and one of my favorite songs of all time.

I also really enjoyed Mama Mia because those were songs from my early childhood.  I still remember when my baby brother was born and my Granny was taking care of me (I would have been 4).  I kept asking her to play the song about the pretty birds.  It took her a little while to figure out that I meant "Take a Chance on Me."   :D  But once she did, she must have played it for me a hundred times, while I sang and danced in the living room - she had the patience of a saint!   :lol:

I saw Wicked when we were in London, and that was great as well.  Mostly because it was in London   :)  but I liked the story and the songs too!

But that's really the extent of my experience with modern musicals.  I've seen the old ones like Fiddler on the Roof and The Sound of Music, and I enjoyed those as well.  But I'm sure there must be many good old ones and more recent ones that I've missed out on.  

Please enlighten me.  What musicals do I need to see?

Sunday in the Park with George.  The Mandy Patinkin/Bernadette Peters stage-filmed version. 

• Like 1

I've just loaded up my Netflix queue with as many of these as I could find. I really hope that I get the chance to see more musicals live, though, because that is the best! I saw Rent and Wicked live, as I mentioned, but I forgot to mention that I had seen Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera, and Miss Saigon live many many years ago. Unfortunately for all three, I had really terrible seats in huge venues, and I wasn't familiar with the music/stories before going, so I think I missed out on a lot.

Oh, and I do have the soundtrack for Chess! Never got to see a production of it, but I do enjoy the music.

Thank you all again for the many great suggestions!

Les Miserables.  So good on so many levels.

Other musicals I sang repeatedly in my former life and will always have a special place in my heart:

Grease

Tommy

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat

Phantom of the Opera

Annie

Thank you for making this thread and reminding me that I like musicals!  It has been a long time since I've pulled out the music or explored any new ones.

• Like 1

Rent

Wicked

Aida

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

The Last Five Years

Of my favorites, I've only seen Rent and Aida, but the soundtracks of the above are some of my favorite music ever recorded. I adore almost all musicals (but, seriously, there's not a compelling song to be had in "Into the Woods." What is up with that??).

• Like 1

Fiddler on the Roof, where getting exile to Siberia isn't even the worse thing that happens to people!

Les Miz: Lots of poor people lose hope then die!

Annie: Female orphans in 1933 with an alcoholic foster parent who abuses them, everyone sing!

At least no one mentioned Carousel where the girl marries a guy who abuses her and kills himself while committing robbery then comes back as a ghost years later only to hit his daughter too and have everyone say that's how he shows his love.

Musicals are my favorite.  We are a theatre family and I LOVE them.  

My favorites are:

Jekyll and Hyde

The Scarlet Pimpernel

The Civil War (Yes, I love Frank Wildhorn)

City of Angels

Miss Saigon

Addams Family

Nice Work if You can Get it

Million Dollar Quartet

Jesus Christ Superstar

Chicago

Rent

Into the Woods
Wicked

These are the list of musicals I have seen that I would pay to see over and over again.  We also own all of these soundtracks and they are listened to often, especially in the car.  We are going to see Book of Mormon in August and I suspect that will go on the list too.