Menu

NOOOOOO!

Halcyon

There is nothing on FB about them spending the weekend with their children.

All sad, no matter.

Some of the vids of the kids are so charming. Mother seems to really love and enjoy them.

If she loved her kids so much, she would have put aside her anti-government beliefs to get her son treatment and pain meds for his horrific burn. Or brought them somewhere they could recover comfortably when they all had e. Coli or whatever it was. Or gotten her son treatment when he had a scalp laceration almost down to the bone. You don't just ignore stuff like that if you love your children.
  • Like 22

If she loved her kids so much, she would have put aside her anti-government beliefs to get her son treatment and pain med for his horrific burn. Or brought them somewhere they could recover comfortably when they all had e. Coli or whatever it was. Or gotten her son treatment when he had a scalp laceration almost down to the bone. You don't just ignore stuff like that if you love your children.

Exactly.

I just watched that seatbelt video and I can't imagine why they would post that online.  It makes both of them look like real jerks.  Acting like that puts police officers on alert and they are much less likely to be lenient.

Because they are "Fighting the man!" and "Taking a stand!". 

They don't know they look like crazies. 

• Like 10

I'm asking a legit question, so please don't jump on me, but does anyone else find it rather odd that they have iphones and expensive cameras but they aren't even bathed regularly?

all things considered what those who know them have said about them - no, I don't find it odd.  they were given household goods that benefited the children - and sold them.  that money went somewhere . . . . (and they would get upset with people who gave them groceries and household goods - because they wanted money.  for what?)

• Like 2

If she loved her kids so much, she would have put aside her anti-government beliefs to get her son treatment and pain meds for his horrific burn. Or brought them somewhere they could recover comfortably when they all had e. Coli or whatever it was. Or gotten her son treatment when he had a scalp laceration almost down to the bone. You don't just ignore stuff like that if you love your children.

Not to mention getting services for the autistic son, Zachary. She says she doesn't want to have him tested because she doesn't want him to be "labeled" and it won't change how they treat him anyway. The idea that he might ever want to leave the "homestead" and live independently doesn't seem to have occurred to her.

In fact, in one of her comments on FB, she said that they planned to build a bigger cabin for the family and a small separate cabin for the oldest, since he's almost 17 — implying that they expect he will stay in the family compound for the foreseeable future. Who needs a birth certificate or SSN or an education or job skills if the plan is for the kids to just keep living on 27 acres of goat sh*t and pond scum forever? At least they'll be all together and well armed when the apocalypse comes.

• Like 14

Not to mention getting services for the autistic son, Zachary. She says she doesn't want to have him tested because she doesn't want him to be "labeled" and it won't change how they treat him anyway. The idea that he might ever want to leave the "homestead" and live independently doesn't seem to have occurred to her.

In fact, in one of her comments on FB, she said that they planned to build a bigger cabin for the family and a small separate cabin for the oldest, since he's almost 17 — implying that they expect he will stay in the family compound for the foreseeable future. Who needs a birth certificate or SSN or an education or job skills if the plan is for the kids to just keep living on 27 acres of goat sh*t and pond scum forever? At least they'll be all together and well armed when the apocalypse comes.

That's part of what bothers me. We are debt free on land that we own. We have chickens, gardens and goats. We no longer wanted to live in the city and we're happy. However, I am well aware that our middle daughter would be pleased if she never saw another goat again. She has another life in mind and that is fine. These kids need the freedom to grow up and leave. They need not only the SSN and birth certificate, they need the skills necessary to live outside the homestead. This would include a good education and living skills. I had read one of the comments of an individual who invited this family over to eat. He said that some of the kids used their front yard to go to the bathroom. Another child used the bathroom floor and left toilet paper all over the floor. I support rustic, but they need basic social skills. 

• Like 23

I agree. You need to educate your kids so THEY can make a choice when they're older. You can't just educate them according to what YOU feel is necessary. That's something that bothers me about unschoolers around here, they're like "well, I never needed math beyond the basics" and I'm like "well, YOU didn't want to be an accountant, or a doctor, or a scientist, or whatever. Your KIDS might choose differently, and it's your job to make sure you don't close any doors."

Grrrr..

• Like 25

If these children really lacking in basic social and academic skills, I hope that there are some objective measurements/observations being made for when they go back to court.  I tend to believe the comments from neighbors and church members but. . . I still recognize that they are essentially anonymous comments on the internet that you have to take on faith.  My obsessive interest in this family needs hard facts, darn it!  

• Like 11

That's part of what bothers me. We are debt free on land that we own. We have chickens, gardens and goats. We no longer wanted to live in the city and we're happy. However, I am well aware that our middle daughter would be pleased if she never saw another goat again. She has another life in mind and that is fine. These kids need the freedom to grow up and leave. They need not only the SSN and birth certificate, they need the skills necessary to live outside the homestead. This would include a good education and living skills. I had read one of the comments of an individual who invited this family over to eat. He said that some of the kids used their front yard to go to the bathroom. Another child used the bathroom floor and left toilet paper all over the floor. I support rustic, but they need basic social skills. 

If the dinner story is true it is a good thing they probably won't begin school until next fall. They will need those months to learn how to use bathrooms/ silverware/ bathe, ect. But the fact that they are waiting more months until getting academic instruction is hard for me to take. I know they probably need the time for life skills, but this hurts the home school mom in me.

• Like 2

I agree. You need to educate your kids so THEY can make a choice when they're older. You can't just educate them according to what YOU feel is necessary. That's something that bothers me about unschoolers around here, they're like "well, I never needed math beyond the basics" and I'm like "well, YOU didn't want to be an accountant, or a doctor, or a scientist, or whatever. Your KIDS might choose differently, and it's your job to make sure you don't close any doors."

Grrrr..

I have this argument with dudeling on a regular basis. he is ASD (he's made so much progress. sometimes I have to remind myself where he started.) he frequently fights me about doing lessons.  I have repeatedly had to tell him, I'm looking at his long-term well being and my forcing him to do lessons is about opening up opportunities for him down the road so that he will have more choices in what he wants to do with his life. (contrary to what he thinks - he's not going to want to want to live at home his whole life.)  I've had to set up strict -business before pleasure protocols - for almost everything he does.  but he's also making great progress.

it pains me she won't get any services for an autistic child.  there is so much that can be done to help them function well - especially if the interventions start early, but you have to DO those interventions.  even at this late date, he can still be helped, if someone will get that help for him.  I honestly hope these kids aren't returned unless the parents have serious and long term therapy FIRST. 

while I believe Nicole loves her kids as much as she's able (but is seriously lacking in "able") - , they aren't pets that stay the same, they're children who grow up into adults who will want to move out into the world and she is denying them basics that will adversely affect them their whole lives if there is no intervention.  ultimately, this is about controlling them.  if they can't function in society - they stay with the parents and the parents continue to control them.  then what happens to them when the parents die?

• Like 4

There is nothing on FB about them spending the weekend with their children.

All sad, no matter.

Some of the vids of the kids are so charming. Mother seems to really love and enjoy them.

I think some were misunderstanding her post (a responder on there mentions the same) when she states "Sitting here with my 10 children. Mosiah won't leave my lap. You have no idea how good this feels. We have a supervised visit till court on Monday. I will update more. I am busy hugging my children."

Oh, wait, I'm wrong. The Save Our Family site has something here http://www.saveourfamily.info/family-reunited-for-the-weekend/.

"We are happy to announce that Joe and Nicole have been reunited with their children for the weekend. They have been asked by the court to not take any photos or recordings of their time with the children. The entire family will be staying together at the home of an approved foster family during their visit. We are respecting the Naugler’s precious family time and we may not have updates until after the visit. Please continue to remember them in your thoughts and prayers."

I'm asking a legit question, so please don't jump on me, but does anyone else find it rather odd that they have iphones and expensive cameras but they aren't even bathed regularly?

YES!

And why they are living "off grid" but obsessively document their life on-line.

• Like 7

Grrrr..

It's part of home education case law in England that you can't just educate to the specific needs of your family or cultural group. Instead you need to seek to prepare the child for life in the wider society.
  • Like 16

I think some were misunderstanding her post (a responder on there mentions the same) when she states "Sitting here with my 10 children. Mosiah won't leave my lap. You have no idea how good this feels. We have a supervised visit till court on Monday. I will update more. I am busy hugging my children."

Oh, wait, I'm wrong. The Save Our Family site has something here http://www.saveourfamily.info/family-reunited-for-the-weekend/.

"We are happy to announce that Joe and Nicole have been reunited with their children for the weekend. They have been asked by the court to not take any photos or recordings of their time with the children. The entire family will be staying together at the home of an approved foster family during their visit. We are respecting the Naugler’s precious family time and we may not have updates until after the visit. Please continue to remember them in your thoughts and prayers."

makes me wonder if they are seeing the kids at all.  (as there are a number of inconsistencies)   there's no "proof".  and come Monday, when they don't get the kids back, their supporters will back them about the evil gov.

• Like 7

If the dinner story is true it is a good thing they probably won't begin school until next fall. They will need those months to learn how to use bathrooms/ silverware/ bathe, ect. But the fact that they are waiting more months until getting academic instruction is hard for me to take. I know they probably need the time for life skills, but this hurts the home school mom in me.

Not knowing these particular kids' social skills and academic skills, I will say as a foster mom that the first few weeks (and sometimes months) are just survival mode.......getting the basics---health care, mental health evaluations, teaching very basic skills, handling numerous social worker/guardian ad lidem/parental visits, etc.  Dental, vision exams as well will be needed.

Academic skills might be far down the list at the moment.  I can imagine the kids don't have proper clothing/shoes, etc. so all of that needs to be bought as well.  I know one video showed a child with either an older siblings much too big shoes or his own shoes which were much too big.

I would like to hear from supporters of this family that are LOCAL and KNOW the family and the children.....neighbors, relatives, people in the community, etc.

As a foster parent, you hear in about 95% of the cases that the parents didn't do anything, it is all the court/judge/social workers fault, the kids have been taken away without cause, etc. and on and on.  There is even a local facebook page wanting to sue a local foster care agency for "stealing" the children and having them be adopted.  One case they claim is just because the bio parent let the child eat a cracker in the visit room which was against rules.  They say that is the ONLY reason they lost custody...................well, they failed to mention on facebook the ongoing drug issues, prostitution, being banned from many local businesses due to criminal causes, lack of job or good housing, leaving the child in dangerous situations, etc.  If you just read the facebook page you would really feel for the parent. They even hosted a fund raiser to help her get her child back.  We thought had close knowledge of the case and had one of the children in our home.  We couldn't say anything.

• Like 11

Most parents love their children. That doesn't mean they're capable of caring for them. Sad as it is, some just aren't, and love isn't enough to fill the gap. Additionally, nobody is ever going to post a video online that shows their worst parenting moments. You can't say "I have five hours of video that shows Mom loves her kids" unless you were there all the time when they weren't filming.

• Like 10

Nicole's Mom posted in the Dad's status with the poem wanting to know when Jacob started writing poetry because his "thing" has always been short stories! Even she doubts he wrote it!

• Like 1

Not knowing these particular kids' social skills and academic skills, I will say as a foster mom that the first few weeks (and sometimes months) are just survival mode.......getting the basics---health care, mental health evaluations, teaching very basic skills, handling numerous social worker/guardian ad lidem/parental visits, etc. Dental, vision exams as well will be needed.

Academic skills might be far down the list at the moment. I can imagine the kids don't have proper clothing/shoes, etc. so all of that needs to be bought as well. I know one video showed a child with either an older siblings much too big shoes or his own shoes which were much too big.

I would like to hear from supporters of this family that are LOCAL and KNOW the family and the children.....neighbors, relatives, people in the community, etc.

As a foster parent, you hear in about 95% of the cases that the parents didn't do anything, it is all the court/judge/social workers fault, the kids have been taken away without cause, etc. and on and on. There is even a local facebook page wanting to sue a local foster care agency for "stealing" the children and having them be adopted. One case they claim is just because the bio parent let the child eat a cracker in the visit room which was against rules. They say that is the ONLY reason they lost custody...................well, they failed to mention on facebook the ongoing drug issues, prostitution, being banned from many local businesses due to criminal causes, lack of job or good housing, leaving the child in dangerous situations, etc. If you just read the facebook page you would really feel for the parent. They even hosted a fund raiser to help her get her child back. We thought had close knowledge of the case and had one of the children in our home. We couldn't say anything.

I have read, belong to FB groups, etc and have only found maybe 2-3 people that ACTUALLY know them IRL that that support them. One FB group I am in has SEVERAL local people from their churches, old neighbors, etc that are afraid to speak out publicly because Joe has threatened them in the past.

• Like 2

Nicole's Mom posted in the Dad's status with the poem wanting to know when Jacob started writing poetry because his "thing" has always been short stories! Even she doubts he wrote it!

Oh, that was Nicole's mom? I didn't know. (I usually don't pay a lot of attention to the names, just skim responses.)

I'm trying to figure out who would be posting the child's poem if they are supposed ti be enjoying their supervised weekend visit.  :confused1:

• Like 1

Oh, that was Nicole's mom? I didn't know. (I usually don't pay a lot of attention to the names, just skim responses.)

I'm trying to figure out who would be posting the child's poem if they are supposed ti be enjoying their supervised weekend visit. :confused1:

On the Homestead FB page they SIGNED the post with the kid's name like HE posted it! I got banned from that page today because I qquestioned how wise a choice that was to be allowing a minor to post or posting FOR the minor when they are at a supervised visit in which they were told not to take photos or videos of the kids. It doesn't take too much brains to figure out that social media would also be a no no.

• Like 3

I thought they did a good job.  It is brief but highlights the concern for having safe living conditions for the children.  I didn't see how that related at all to the Meitiv's and free range parenting, though.  

• Like 2

I'm amazed that they mention the Naugler and the Meitiv cases in the same story.

I agree. I can't believe that anyone would draw a comparison between parents allowing their children to play at a park unsupervised and parents living in a makeshift tent without access to safe water or a sanitary toilet of some sort. There is no comparison.

• Like 17

I thought they did a good job.  It is brief but highlights the concern for having safe living conditions for the children.  I didn't see how that related at all to the Meitiv's and free range parenting, though.  

the nauglers are claiming persecution for being "free range".  the today show staff are idiots and taking them at their word instead of doing actual investigation to realize the extent of the neglect these kids are dealing with - and the filth of their living conditions.

• Like 4

:iagree:

I find it incredibly odd, but it's also predictable in the case of this particular family because pretty much everything they do is odd... and don't get me started on their complete and total lack of common sense.

• Like 4

Now someone has posted (with her watermark) photos of the sunset today. Why would she even have a camera out and with her if she isn't allowed to photo the kids on this "visitation?"

What's wrong with her taking pictures of a sunset?  I'm not a fan of these parents but this seems terribly nitpicky to comment on her taking an allowed picture of nature and posting it.  

• Like 2

What's wrong with her taking pictures of a sunset? I'm not a fan of these parents but this seems terribly nitpicky to comment on her taking an allowed picture of nature and posting it.

My point is she claims they are with their kids. If you aren't allowed to photograph your kids, why even HAVE the camera out? If they really are in a visit, their entire weekend is being supervised and their actions recorded for the case notes & Judge. Why even RISK getting a camera out and having that noted when you are so desperately fighting for your kids back?

• Like 1

My point is she claims they are with their kids. If you aren't allowed to photograph your kids, why even HAVE the camera out? If they really are in a visit, their entire weekend is being supervised and their actions recorded for the case notes & Judge. Why even RISK getting a camera out and having that noted when you are so desperately fighting for your kids back?

operative word.  *claims*. 

many of those who know them have said they are very manipulative. so much of what she has posted in her claims for the weekend are inconsistent with cps investigations and rules.  she could well just be performing for her supporters.

• Like 2

I have just spent the last two hours reading this post, the other post and a bunch of links. I hadn't heard of this family until today. I am so disgusted, baffled, saddened, confused, and dumbstruck that I don't even know where to start. 

So much of this stuff is on the Internet.... I really don't get that. Why would you post pictures of your children all laying on the ground obviously horribly ill? Or why would you be filming yourself when you get pulled over for a seat belt violation and then go ape on the cop? Why do you denounce all modern conveniences to the point that your family is living in squalor but you are constantly on the computer? How do they even have so much internet service? Why is an 8 year old starting a fire at all, let alone with gasoline? And if you let your kid do that, why do you share it on the internet? 

I know the internet issue is minor compared to the horrible conditions but I can't even wrap my head around that stuff right now.

• Like 15

What's wrong with her taking pictures of a sunset? I'm not a fan of these parents but this seems terribly nitpicky to comment on her taking an allowed picture of nature and posting it.

I agree. They were most likely taken, edited, and posted with her phone, and that doesn't take more than a few minutes if you know what you're doing.

• Like 2

What's wrong with her taking pictures of a sunset?  I'm not a fan of these parents but this seems terribly nitpicky to comment on her taking an allowed picture of nature and posting it.  

I haven't looked a whole lot at her blog but each time I did there were a lot of nature pictures. I'm thinking it provided a bit of normalcy, a moment of respite during such a stressful time.

If my kids were ever taken from me, I don't know that I would have the presence of mind to even know what facebook was, and I absolutely would not have even the slightest interest in posting. (Granted, they are a bit more outgoing than I am.) If they have been told not to take pictures of the kids, they shouldn't even have their phones/cameras out. By doing that, it almost looks as if they are taunting the person who is supervising the visit. I'm probably not explaining it correctly. It would be similar to telling a child that he couldn't play with a toy, so he picks it up and holds it or carries it around saying, "You didn't say I couldn't hold it, just that I couldn't play with it." I think they're being childish and pushing limits. 

They aren't breaking rules, but what they are doing is eye-roll worthy. She hasn't seen her kids (ten of them) all week. I would think she would be busy catching up with them and being with them rather than taking sunset pictures. 

• Like 5

I think it's the posting in general that bothers me, not necessarily the sunset photo. To me the idea of taking a picture of the sunset with all the other things going on for them is just bizarre but I can concede that maybe it makes her feel better. Plus many of us, myself included, do not believe she really has a full weekend visit with them so it's quite possible she took this when she wasn't with the kids. 

That said, it seems from her posting that she's spending lots of time on FB and posting pictures of her dog grooming etc. I'd love to see a picture, a comment, anything that indicates they are planning for any kinds of improvements to the situation so they can get their kids back. The only comment on the FB about the living situation at all is to claim the shack has 4 walls, which it very clearly doesn't.  I'm trying to even think of something I would be unwilling to do to get my kids back and having a hard time with it. Even if the CPS was totally wrong and asking for insane things, I'd be trying to do them while getting a lawyer at the same time. It seems to me she doesn't even recognize that there really is a problem with where they are living or that they really are going to have to do something to improve it if they want the kids back. Where is the father in all of this? I guess I can hope he's working on fixes while she's focusing on the dog grooming and PR campaign. 

• Like 4

If my kids were ever taken from me, I don't know that I would have the presence of mind to even know what facebook was, and I absolutely would not have even the slightest interest in posting. (Granted, they are a bit more outgoing than I am.) If they have been told not to take pictures of the kids, they shouldn't even have their phones/cameras out. By doing that, it almost looks as if they are taunting the person who is supervising the visit. I'm probably not explaining it correctly. It would be similar to telling a child that he couldn't play with a toy, so he picks it up and holds it or carries it around saying, "You didn't say I couldn't hold it, just that I couldn't play with it." I think they're being childish and pushing limits.

They aren't breaking rules, but what they are doing is eye-roll worthy. She hasn't seen her kids (ten of them) all week. I would think she would be busy catching up with them and being with them rather than taking sunset pictures.

You are making a lot of assumptions, including that she wasn't at that moment enjoying the sunset with her children. The parents have done--and not done--plenty of things that are worth getting upset about. This normal activity that millions of people do every day isn't one of them.
  • Like 5

You are making a lot of assumptions, including that she wasn't at that moment enjoying the sunset with her children. The parents have done--and not done--plenty of things that are worth getting upset about. This normal activity that millions of people do every day isn't one of them.

She may have been enjoying the moment with her children. I had assumed that she was. My point was that I wouldn't have wasted a single moment to share that with a following of people. Watching a sunset is a normal activity that millions of people do every day. Watching a sunset with recently returned children is not something that is done by millions every day. It gives the impression that her priorities are not solid. 

My point was that if it makes other people roll their eyes, it will probably make the eyes roll of someone that truly matters in this case. If she wants her kids back, why push limits? If I were a supporter of hers, I would inwardly cringe at that post and think to myself, "Nicole! Stop! Focus on the kids or they'll use it against you!"

• Like 1

I think it's the posting in general that bothers me, not necessarily the sunset photo. To me the idea of taking a picture of the sunset with all the other things going on for them is just bizarre but I can concede that maybe it makes her feel better. Plus many of us, myself included, do not believe she really has a full weekend visit with them so it's quite possible she took this when she wasn't with the kids. 

That said, it seems from her posting that she's spending lots of time on FB and posting pictures of her dog grooming etc. I'd love to see a picture, a comment, anything that indicates they are planning for any kinds of improvements to the situation so they can get their kids back. The only comment on the FB about the living situation at all is to claim the shack has 4 walls, which it very clearly doesn't.  I'm trying to even think of something I would be unwilling to do to get my kids back and having a hard time with it. Even if the CPS was totally wrong and asking for insane things, I'd be trying to do them while getting a lawyer at the same time. It seems to me she doesn't even recognize that there really is a problem with where they are living or that they really are going to have to do something to improve it if they want the kids back. Where is the father in all of this? I guess I can hope he's working on fixes while she's focusing on the dog grooming and PR campaign. 

No kidding. If she must update FB right now, it should be something like, "Wow am I ever tired, I spent the whole day hauling garbage to the dump!" or something like that. I would be working myself to the point of exhaustion to make the necessary improvements so I could get my kids back. Not sitting around on the internet posting poems and sunsets.

I'm really starting to think that now that they have large sums of money on the way, she doesn't care much whether she gets her kids back or not, and is just putting on a show for any potential last-minute donors.

• Like 9

I wonder who they have advising them. In one of the threads there was mention of a public defender since HSLDA declined to represent them but I guess I assumed that was for the criminal charges. Are parents given a public defender for custody court? If so, I would think he is telling her to keep quiet, tow the line, jump through hoops etc. Maybe there is someone advising her but she's just not listening. Right or wrong, when a case gets to this stage perception is huge. They can walk into court and claim their kids are healthy, happy and live in a 4 walled structure. The kids could even back up their story. But the judge is going to totally dismiss their assertions when he has their own pictures and blogs that show the kids doubled over and laying on the ground after eating rotten food, pictures of a clearly 3 walled (and I use the term wall loosely) structure and her own words about them sleeping in a frost covered van to try to keep warm. Social media will kill them. There is little they can do about the past stuff they've posted. Even removing it now won't help because I'm sure CPS has already downloaded it all. But going forward their social media stuff should be either completely quiet or as Mergath said, full of photos and stories of their daily work to get the kids back. 

• Like 7

I wonder who they have advising them. In one of the threads there was mention of a public defender since HSLDA declined to represent them but I guess I assumed that was for the criminal charges. Are parents given a public defender for custody court? If so, I would think he is telling her to keep quiet, tow the line, jump through hoops etc. Maybe there is someone advising her but she's just not listening. Right or wrong, when a case gets to this stage perception is huge. They can walk into court and claim their kids are healthy, happy and live in a 4 walled structure. The kids could even back up their story. But the judge is going to totally dismiss their assertions when he has their own pictures and blogs that show the kids doubled over and laying on the ground after eating rotten food, pictures of a clearly 3 walled (and I use the term wall loosely) structure and her own words about them sleeping in a frost covered van to try to keep warm. Social media will kill them. There is little they can do about the past stuff they've posted. Even removing it now won't help because I'm sure CPS has already downloaded it all. But going forward their social media stuff should be either completely quiet or as Mergath said, full of photos and stories of their daily work to get the kids back.

Based on the video in which they were discussing the constitution and how it applied to their seat belt stop, I'd say they practice a lot of "street law". I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to do this without any real legal advice.

• Like 4