Menu

Female Content...Cycle related

Ewe Mama

I have finally figured out that Joy is having major PMS and cramps every month. She is my child who never complains about anything. She just looks at me with big crocodile tears rolling down her cheeks, with eyes that implore me to do something.

About four days before her cycle, she gets a really bad backache and her legs begin to hurt. She looks exhausted and just wants to lay down. She wakes up with a headache that worsens as the day progresses, leaving her in tears, unable to talk, do schoolwork, eat, anything. She is also nauseous and throws up if she eats from about two days before her cycle until two days after it starts. I have tried giving her Tylenol, Advil, Ibuprofen, pick a pain-reliever, we have tried it. Nothing helps. She throws it all up. (Joy had severe reflux as a baby and was on meds until she was close to two years old. She has had a sensitive stomach that causes her to throw up anytime something doesn't "sit right" in her stomach. She very often throws up prescription meds, as well.)

On the day her cycle actually starts, she is hunched over with pain, headache, nausea, and cramps. She looks like she just wants to die. I remember feeling the same way on the first day of my own cycles, but it was always just one awful day a month. Her misery is lasting six days a month. She said her bleeding lasts 8 or 9 days, which sounds excessive.

She has had her cycle for about a year, but instead of getting better, it has gotten worse. She is 5 feet, three inches tall, weighs 90 lbs, so she can't afford to lose anymore weight. She is my health conscious girl, who eats her veggies and eats sweets very minimally. I can't think of any dietary changes that would help, but I'm open to suggestions. She tries warm baths and heating pads, but nothing helps, just lots of sleep.

Our doctor just left her practice and is opening a new office, so I can't get her in to see her just yet. If you could just help me to help her through the next few days, that would be awesome.

Aleve? (That's what has always worked for me for severe cramps & nausea. I used to get it as an rx from my gyn before it became available over the counter. Not sure she could tolerate it if taking meds often makes her throw up, but it may be worth trying it.) She sounds like how I was as a teen into the end of my 20s. Aleve is the only thing I ever found that helped.

:grouphug:

• Like 2

the only thing I can think of is a contaceptive pill. Do you have painful periods? Also is there any chance she is getting a UTI at the same time? I did for a while and I didn't realize what it was because of the period symptoms.

• Like 2

I think it is good you are taking her in.  I'd want to explore whether it could be something like endometriosis.  Any chance she throws up from migraines?  They don't all present with headache; sometimes it is  nausea, visual disturbance, etc.

I'd write down as much as you can think of about what she's experiencing.

• Like 1

I often threw up from pain during my cycle in high school. They were also on the long side (a week or more). It was awful. My mom wouldn't take me to the doctor, as "it was just something I had to deal with." After all, she'd dealt with the same thing. Thankfully, she'd at least let me stay home from school.

I eventually realized the eliminating dairy from my diet helped, as well as exercising on the days the cramps were worst. Also, tracking my cycle with my BBT was an amazing revelation, as it let me know when to expect the worst symptoms.

I hope she finds relief.

Have you tried liquid ibuprofen?  Maybe that would sit easier in her stomach.  

Before giving birth, I had cramps that left me curled up in a fetal position in the shower, vomiting, and taking over a dozen ibuprofen a day.  I became an "almost vegan" (I still ate eggs) due to animal welfare concerns, and was pleasantly shocked to find that the worst of the cramping disappeared.  It was so nice to be able to take normal doses of ibuprofen for just a day or two and be fully functional instead of completely debilitated.  Possibly cutting out red meat and dairy would help your daughter.   :grouphug: to her. 

• Like 1

I was like that as a teen. It never got fully better for me until I learned I had endometriosis and then had my kids. That's a long road, I know. But some things did help and I wish I had understood as a teen better how to get a routine going and follow it.

For me, at least...

* Making sure I had calcium helped a little.

* Forcing myself to exercise in the days leading up to my period helped a little.

* Tracking my cycle so I could start that iburprophen before the pain really started was important. Painkillers are more effective before pain becomes intense.

* Some of the newer OTC painkillers may work better than others. I agree that the liquid or gel pills can be faster acting. But I know back in the day that some of the ones for menstrual pain had caffeine, which made me super sick. Just play around with different brands.

* Ibuprophen can really tear up your stomach so I had to learn to be super consistent taking it and sometimes take a little more but not to go nuts and take them like candy.

* Never take ibuprophen on an empty stomach. I would always take it with some crackers or toast or something if I was taking it in the morning.

* I had to set an alarm to wake up and take it in the night so it wouldn't wear off.

* Heat helps a little, so I kept a heating pad on hand.

* The pill helped me. I went on it toward the end of high school and while I still had a lot of pain, I never had a night where I was literally screaming and throwing up and clawing at myself in pain again.

My other advice is to walk away from any doctor who tries to minimize her pain. Give them a piece of your mind and change doctors.

• Like 2

I'd see about other forms of ibuprofen, preferably before the pain really hits, and then keep on it. Ibuprofen and sleep are what always helped me. My cramps were terrible pre-babies, although not as bad as your sweet girl's sound, and they're much better after having babies. Not that that's much comfort for her now, poor girl.

I had a midwife once tell me that it looked like I could have some mild endometriosis, and some of my symptoms (severe cramps, stomach upset, general ache) did seem to support that. I would ask for a referral to someone who can evaluate Joy for that. A midwife might have a better bedside manner with a young teen; if DD were to have troubles if that type, more than her (sweet, young) family doctor could handle, I'd call one of my midwives before taking her to a GYN. I also think a midwife would be more likely to suggest natural remedies.

I would take her to a gyn as soon as possible to try and find her some relief. She sounds as if she is beyond over the counter pain relievers. There are presciption pain meds--non narcotic--that would work better. Just so you know, the first thing that will likely be recommended is BCP. While it may sound dramatic and wrong to put such a young girl on these, please keep an open mind. (This is what I wish someone had told me.) Many, many young girls use BCP to get relief. She is losing too many days each month suffering over this. So sorry for her. Please don't give up and pursue finding a solution. When she's feeling good, lots of exercise can help.

• Like 4

I was almost exactly the same. I tried 47 different things that didn't work and was then but on BC. Skip the rest and drug the poor thing. I'm so sorry, and I hardly ever recommend medication, but she needs to be better. Everyone I know like that normalized in their early to mid twenties. I haven't been on BC since I was 21.

• Like 1

Awww, poor girl. Sounds like when I was younger. I would start taking Midol PMS when I knew I was a few days out, then when I finally started, would spend the better part of the day soaking in a hot bath or lying on a heating pad. I eventually outgrew my issues, but my friend had to get on birth control to control her issues. 
Even if you do not feel comfortable with BC, I'd still take her to a gynocologist to make sure it's nothing more (like endometriosis, cysts, etc.). 

I see you've tried many over the counters, but didn't mention Midol or Pamprin.  They might offer some relief poor the poor dear; she sounds like she is suffering miserably.

Consider getting a medication for the nausea.  Some places sell cola-syrup in the over the counter sections; it works pretty well settling a queasy stomach.  Pear juice is also very soothing.

It sounds awful. If you are able to see more than one doctor, a second opinion might be helpful, especially if there is something complicated goin on. I have a friend with a dd who has difficulties -- though nothing as bad as you describe -- and her dd takes pills so that she gets a period infrequently, maybe twice a year, iirc.

So sorry.  You mentioned hot baths.  What about showers?  Hot showers are my go-to remedy for cramps.  The water is hotter and stays hot.  

As for weight gain, I recommend adding olive oil to her diet.  We did this for dd4 when she was a baby and she improved dramatically.

Hope she feels better!!

Girls should first see a gyno around this age, and that's without excessive issues. As she's having huge pain and symptoms I would book an appointment stat. This is going beyond what OTC can help with.

It is very likely that she will be prescribed birth control... or, rather, a medication that is commonly used as birth control but that can also be used in other situations. I don't know what your feelings are on birth control as birth control, but there's no evidence that being on BC for non-contraceptive reasons increases the likelihood of your daughter engaging in sexual activity. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

• Like 1

As a pain reliever for right now...have you considered essential oils?  I feel like I have to hide in a paper bag these days to suggest that, with all the multi-level marketing and what-not.   But my local aromatherapy store sells a PMS blend:

http://saje.ca/hormonal-health-ailment/moon-cycle-4311.html

and a Pain Release blend that might help too...

http://saje.ca/pain.html

Poor thing. :( I had similar horrendous issues and was on BCP continuously due to endometriosis (meaning no period, ever) until I went off to TTC. I had abdominal surgery at 20 where the dr was able to remove significant spots of endometriosis and advised me to remain on BCP continuous so that new spots did not have a chance to grow.

I don't know your religious beliefs but the BCP treatment may be suggested by your dr. You might want to seek advice from your clergy person.

Girls should first see a gyno around this age, and that's without excessive issues.

Hmmm....I agree she needs to be seen with issues like this, but I've been told multiple times that girls don't need to be seen (unless there are issues) until they are sexually active or 21...whichever comes first.  There's no way I would take my 15 year old (who has no issues) to the gyn.

• Like 3

I know she may be uncomfortable but I would take her for gyn appointment.  My sister had several years of this type stuff and my mom finally took her to gyn at 16 and she was diagnosed with polycystic ovary .  The doctor told my mom to put her on the pill.  They refused because of religious  issues. 

I think now days their are all types of bio identical hormones that could be tried verses putting a young girl on the "birth control"

I know for myself on the other end at 45.  I was having "hell" type PMS similar to your girl.  I stared calcium and progesterone cream.  It totally cleared up all PMS symptoms and regulated my cycle. 

I really hope you find a solution for the poor girl those type of periods can really affect quality of life.

Hmmm....I agree she needs to be seen with issues like this, but I've been told multiple times that girls don't need to be seen (unless there are issues) until they are sexually active or 21...whichever comes first.  There's no way I would take my 15 year old (who has no issues) to the gyn.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/sexual_health/first_gyn_exam.html

http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Your-First-Gynecologic-Visit-Especially-for-Teens

They recommend between the ages of 13 and 15, especially if there are issues or the young woman in question is sexually active.

I don't know your religious beliefs but the BCP treatment may be suggested by your dr. You might want to seek advice from your clergy person.

I disagree, actually. Many pastors (preachers, rabbis, imams, fill in the blank) are remarkably ignorant about BC. Well, it's not what they studied, and none of us can know everything about everything.

If the OP's daughter is not sexually active - and I don't think that's very likely at the age of twelve - then the pill is not acting as a contraceptive. Since the religious objection is likely to revolve around using a contraceptive and sex before marriage, if neither of these things is happening then the clergy person's opinion is irrelevant. You might as well ask them if you should wear white shoes after Labor Day.

• Like 1

:grouphug: Poor girl, that's awful! I'd definitely get her in to see a gynecologist as soon as possible. Until then . . . Aleve helps me more with menstrual pain than any other OTC drugs. It sounds to me like she might be having menstrual migraines (I have them, so I guess my mind jumps straight to that). If she's having migraines, some caffeine in combination with an NSAID helps. Plain old aspirin works best for my migraines, but in her case the Aleve might be the better choice. Has she ever tried a heating pad to help with the cramps?

• Like 1

When I went on medication for different period issues as a teen, my dr and mother both said I would be taking hormones to help balance things out. My mom did explain as she handed me the pack that they were also used for birth control, but we just referred to them as hormone pills so that none of us felt awkward. Just to add to  the "it isn't weird to give these to young teens" perspective.

• Like 1

I think it is good you are taking her in. I'd want to explore whether it could be something like endometriosis. Any chance she throws up from migraines? They don't all present with headache; sometimes it is nausea, visual disturbance, etc.

I'd write down as much as you can think of about what she's experiencing.

I get horrible migraines monthly. I started taking a calcium/magnesium supplement and it has helped with my monthly headaches.

I don't have suggestions for the cramping other than what's already been mentioned.

• Like 1

As others have suggested, try liquid motrin or aleve with food/crackers several days before the onset of pain. Also, a visit to a gynecologist might be in order, because untreated endometriosis can greatly impact fertility and reproductive health later in life.

If you are unsure about bcp for a girl her age, there are other options that are hormonally similar, but not birth control per se.

I have finally figured out that Joy is having major PMS and cramps every month. She is my child who never complains about anything. She just looks at me with big crocodile tears rolling down her cheeks, with eyes that implore me to do something.

About four days before her cycle, she gets a really bad backache and her legs begin to hurt. She looks exhausted and just wants to lay down. She wakes up with a headache that worsens as the day progresses, leaving her in tears, unable to talk, do schoolwork, eat, anything. She is also nauseous and throws up if she eats from about two days before her cycle until two days after it starts. I have tried giving her Tylenol, Advil, Ibuprofen, pick a pain-reliever, we have tried it. Nothing helps. She throws it all up. (Joy had severe reflux as a baby and was on meds until she was close to two years old. She has had a sensitive stomach that causes her to throw up anytime something doesn't "sit right" in her stomach. She very often throws up prescription meds, as well.)

On the day her cycle actually starts, she is hunched over with pain, headache, nausea, and cramps. She looks like she just wants to die. I remember feeling the same way on the first day of my own cycles, but it was always just one awful day a month. Her misery is lasting six days a month. She said her bleeding lasts 8 or 9 days, which sounds excessive.

She has had her cycle for about a year, but instead of getting better, it has gotten worse. She is 5 feet, three inches tall, weighs 90 lbs, so she can't afford to lose anymore weight. She is my health conscious girl, who eats her veggies and eats sweets very minimally. I can't think of any dietary changes that would help, but I'm open to suggestions. She tries warm baths and heating pads, but nothing helps, just lots of sleep.

Our doctor just left her practice and is opening a new office, so I can't get her in to see her just yet. If you could just help me to help her through the next few days, that would be awesome.

I used to get the leg cramps and backaches.  Now I get the headaches and fatigue lol... :rolleyes:

I had a lot of the symptoms you are describing, and nothing ever really worked.  8-9 days isn't that excessive - the average is 5-7, so we have to assume if that's the average there are some longer.  Even now, my cycles are usually 8-10 days start to finish.

I'm trying to remember what I used to do... heating pad on my lower abdomen, maybe?  Or on my back (My cramps have always been in my back as well)... I never used tampons as a teen and I'm glad, because based on what I've experienced as an adult, it makes the cramps worse.  

Ibuprofen doesn't work for me for cramps.  Neither does Acetaminophen.  Naproxen was okay but not awesome, but I think I had a prescription for that.  I tried Midol once and it was awful - I almost wonder if I had a reaction to it.  It was really weird.   

Drink lots and lots of water.  She could always try an anti nausea medicine of some kind to at least be able to keep water down - I know water itself doesn't sit well on a sour stomach.  Other than that... sleep.  

It took me many years to even out.  I started when I was 11 and was still having terrible periods until after I got married.  They settled down for awhile and now they're bad but not as bad as they used to be, so I'll take it.  20 years later lol...

It sucks though.  :/

ETA: Oh, and my grandma took me to see a gynecologist very low-key when I had just had my period for a few months.  She, too, was worried about the length of the cycle and all that.  They didn't even do an exam or anything - we just sat in the office and they gave us (really me, but my grandma was with me the whole time) some ideas for relieving cramps and stuff, and gave me the naproxen rx.  

My first gynecological exam wasn't until much later, for unrelated issues that they were looking for the cause of - they do have pediatric gynecologists, which is what I went to at the time.  I was 16.