Menu

Am I right to worry that a grand piano would spoil a kid?

rzberrymom

Yes, I think this hits the nail on the head. To try to convince me and DH, she explained that one of her slightly older students had just received a grand, the girl wanted it in her upstairs bedroom so she could practice in private, and so the parents actually cut a hole in the side of the house to get the grand in there. This is the teacher's frame of reference, so it was hard for me to make my case that maybe a grand wasn't prudent for my 10 year old.

This is ludicrous.

• Like 8

Yes, I think this hits the nail on the head. To try to convince me and DH, she explained that one of her slightly older students had just received a grand, the girl wanted it in her upstairs bedroom so she could practice in private, and so the parents actually cut a hole in the side of the house to get the grand in there. This is the teacher's frame of reference, so it was hard for me to make my case that maybe a grand wasn't prudent for my 10 year old.

:confused1: :svengo:

When was the last time your home instrument was tuned?

When was the last time the strings/pads/etc were replaced?

I ask because I had six instruments I worked with through high school:

School piano- old, loose action, barely in tune

Practice piano- less old, very loose, always in tune

Home piano- over 100 years old, easy but not loose, not always tuned (had all internal workings replaced when I was in 6th)

Church piano 1- brand new, slightly tight, always in tune

Church piano 2- brand new, easy, always in tune (this was a baby grand)

Grandmother's piano- brand new, very tight, often sticky, always in tune

Church piano 2 was the only one that was not an upright. New piano strings can feel very different from those more broken in. I don't think it is strictly a grand versus upright issue.

• Like 3

rzberrymom, on 12 Mar 2015 - 2:20 PM, said:rzberrymom, on 12 Mar 2015 - 2:20 PM, said:rzberrymom, on 12 Mar 2015 - 2:20 PM, said:

This is exactly the problem. We go to her house, she has a relatively new concert grand, my DD practices on a 40 year old Baldwin studio at our house, my DD can't adjust on the fly very well, teacher gets frustrated that this is slowing down my DD's progress, etc.

I socially know some concert/classical pianists.  I socially know a number who teach classical piano.  the teacher sounds like an uptight snob.

• Like 1

told by whom . . . . .?

Two piano stores told me that. Obviously, I was skeptical and asked the teacher whether they were correct or just trying to sell me more piano. She said they were correct and that I would need to upgrade again in a year or two. But, it's been a few months of indecision for us, and we still have our little old Baldwin.

When was the last time your home instrument was tuned?

When was the last time the strings/pads/etc were replaced?

I ask because I had six instruments I worked with through high school:

School piano- old, loose action, barely in tune

Practice piano- less old, very loose, always in tune

Home piano- over 100 years old, easy but not loose, not always tuned (had all internal workings replaced when I was in 6th)

Church piano 1- brand new, slightly tight, always in tune

Church piano 2- brand new, easy, always in tune (this was a baby grand)

Grandmother's piano- brand new, very tight, often sticky, always in tune

Church piano 2 was the only one that was not an upright. New piano strings can feel very different from those more broken in. I don't think it is strictly a grand versus upright issue.

It probably does need a tune (it's been way over a year). I asked the teacher about refurbishing this one, and she thought it would be better to get something new. She sent me to a tech and he had the same take on our piano.

It probably does need a tune (it's been way over a year). I asked the teacher about refurbishing this one, and she thought it would be better to get something new. She sent me to a tech and he had the same take on our piano.

It is entirely possible that your current piano is not worth refurbishment. I would price a good quality upright and compare it to a grand.

I don't think having a grand will spoil your child.

I don't think not having a grand will crush her potential.

Get the instrument that you will want in your home long after your daughter has grown.

• Like 1

We have a Yamaha upright and I remember at the time we purchased it I was interested in getting a grand. We were told that we could purchase this very nice quality upright for the same price we could purchase a really poor quality grand. We were told that both by the store sales person and our piano teacher. I don't have enough knowledge to know that the advice was completely accurate. But, I do know that my daughter played the piano all the way through college ( piano performance major) and every time we get it tuned the tuners always comment along the lines that our upright is "an excellent piano that will last you many years!"

I have never regretted NOT pushing for a grand.

Bingo. I feel the same way. And I'm coveting a Charles Walter upright far more than a grand for the same price range, I'll tell you that!

This is good to know! I'll go back and look at the Yamaha U3 instead.

I really enjoy Yammies - so bright and crisp! There are some styles of piano I don't prefer them for, and like a warmer and more sonorous tone, but they'd absolutely be near the top of my list for a solid upright for my children.

And seriously, if you live near a dealer of Walters try one out:

http://www.walterpiano.com/pianos/studio-pianos/?walterpiano=3ae61b97cb979d89b786e70f00f4e4dd

It's a much lesser known piano maker but they're aMAZing!

To be fair, she has shown tremendous dedication and has practiced piano for 60-90 minutes almost every day for about 2 1/2 years. She's working on a Chopin waltz that is level 7 or 8 (the one in B minor--I think it's his easiest). I'm not worried about her dedication or seriousness about piano. She loves it and this is her life.

Based on this alone I would buy the piano!

• Like 1

DH (whose mom was a piano teacher) says at her level she might need a higher quality upright piano but she doesn't need a grand at a level 7 or 8.  He also says if her goal is to be a classical pianist eventually she'll want one, but she doesn't need one right now.  He said repeatedly at this time a high-quality upright will make much more of a difference than a low quality baby grand.  He mentioned that if she starts practicing more than 3 hours a day (on her own, without prompting from you), it will start to make more sense. But she's not there now.  There is a tone difference but it's not THAT huge at that level.

I tend to think "spoiled" is more a matter of 1) being entitled, and 2) lording the things you think you're entitled to over others than it is having nice things that you're grateful for.

ETA:  DH also mentioned it's possible she's not after a commission and is just that arrogant.

• Like 5

I don't think a grand piano would spoil a kid.  I was surprised when my Mom was buying hers the stories she told on how hard it is for people to get rid of one.  Her piano store sold a lot of used ones, and they also told her that a lot of schools/churches/etc. often gave them away if people would haul them away.  So maybe look around?  Moving one isn't cheap...and she needs to get her piano tuned a few times per year...but it still might save you some money.

If you even think about buying a grand piano, please be sure to consider its size and how it will fit into your home. When we bought ours, we knew it was going into a large living room so we were sure it would fit, but we were still surprised at how much larger it looked in our house than it looked in the piano store showroom.

I would very strongly advise you to measure any piano you are considering and make a flat cardboard template of the exact size and shape so you can try it out in your room at home to see how much floor space it will take up. Don't forget to allow extra room for the bench -- and try to find a place to put the piano in a location where it will get as little sunlight as possible so the wood doesn't fade or dry out.

Grand pianos are beautiful, but they are also very large and imposing, and they can easily overwhelm a room.

• Like 4

I don't think a grand piano would spoil a kid. I was surprised when my Mom was buying hers the stories she told on how hard it is for people to get rid of one. Her piano store sold a lot of used ones, and they also told her that a lot of schools/churches/etc. often gave them away if people would haul them away. So maybe look around? Moving one isn't cheap...and she needs to get her piano tuned a few times per year...but it still might save you some money.

I would advise anyone that, before they accept a "free" or used piano, to have it checked over by a good piano tuner. Sometimes those "free" and "cheap" pianos are beyond repair, or will require a ton of money to get them back into usable shape.

Once you get a grand piano into your house, it is no picnic to get it back out!

I would advise anyone that, before they accept a "free" or used piano, to have it checked over by a good piano tuner. Sometimes those "free" and "cheap" pianos are beyond repair, or will require a ton of money to get them back into usable shape.

Once you get a grand piano into your house, it is no picnic to get it back out!

Being a professional piano mover isn't an impoverished profession, that's for sure!

My daughter is a pianist. She plans to major in music in college (composition), and she plays on a Yamaha keyboard. Her college piano instructor (who ASKED me to allow her to teach DD), has never, ever suggested DD get a grand. She plays on a grand for recitals, uses a regular college upright for lessons, and her keyboard at home. From where I sit, I see no reason at all to invest in such a large and expensive instrument for a child that age. Invest in a better piano? Maybe. But I'd hold off on the grand until the child is in high school and you know for sure piano is going to be a major part of her life. 

• Like 4

If you even think about buying a grand piano, please be sure to consider its size and how it will fit into your home. When we bought ours, we knew it was going into a large living room so we were sure it would fit, but we were still surprised at how much larger it looked in our house than it looked in the piano store showroom.

I would very strongly advise you to measure any piano you are considering and make a flat cardboard template of the exact size and shape so you can try it out in your room at home to see how much floor space it will take up. Don't forget to allow extra room for the bench -- and try to find a place to put the piano in a location where it will get as little sunlight as possible so the wood doesn't fade or dry out.

Grand pianos are beautiful, but they are also very large and imposing, and they can easily overwhelm a room.

One of the stores gave me one of those templates where you fold over the end to get the size you're looking at. I was kind of surprised that it fit in the corner of our living room. I thought it would be hideous, but it seemed to fit pretty decently.

We also have a very talentd young pianist, and a studio Baldwin at home. Both my husband (an organist) and our piano teacher agree that our piano is no longer sufficient for our son's needs. We already have an organ in the living room that takes up one wall (at least it's not a pipe organ anymore, though! :D), so space (and funds) are limited.

The way we're dealing with it now as he prepares for our spring sonata/sonatina festival is to have him practice on different pianos whenever he can. So at church every week he works on the grands there, we'll stop by the local piano center for him to run his piece, my MIL is a piano teacher and has a grand, etc.

It helps! Maybe something like that's that's an option?

Catwoman, on 12 Mar 2015 - 5:09 PM, said:

this.  I have pianist friends with grands (I also know one who bought it for the pretention factor.)  even a decent size room it takes up good space. for all of them,  the piano gets the prime place, the rest of the furniture fits around it.

I have one pianist friend  - they have two things in their living room (at least it's an open floor plan), and only two things.  a large bookcase with nothing but sheet music - and a full grand piano.    the things he can do with that keyboard . . . .

My first thought is that teacher sounds pretentious and ridiculous.

There are ways to get access to a grand piano without buying one, but even so, my husband is a dedicated classical pianist and we have a hand me down spinet. Is it ideal? No, but to say he can't learn stuff because it's not a grand seems ridiculous to me. If he was pursuing a career in that direction, he'd probably find find one to rent time or use a church piano or something.

ITA. A grand piano is nice but certainly not a requirement to continue playing and progressing. I trained as a classical pianist for 15 years on an upright with no problem. My teacher had both an upright and a grand piano in her studio. We only were allowed to play the grand as a reward for mastering pieces.

We also have a very talentd young pianist, and a studio Baldwin at home. Both my husband (an organist) and our piano teacher agree that our piano is no longer sufficient for our son's needs. We already have an organ in the living room that takes up one wall (at least it's not a pipe organ anymore, though! :D), so space (and funds) are limited.

The way we're dealing with it now as he prepares for our spring sonata/sonatina festival is to have him practice on different pianos whenever he can. So at church every week he works on the grands there, we'll stop by the local piano center for him to run his piece, my MIL is a piano teacher and has a grand, etc.

It helps! Maybe something like that's that's an option?

I had thought about what I'm calling my Beth March solution--putting up a sign in the neighborhood about our situation with the hope that some nice elderly person might be willing to have my kiddo come over once/week to play their grand. There's a church down the street with a grand, so I could ask them too. Do you know someone at the piano store, or did they just welcome him? Thanks for the ideas!

• Like 4

Something I had forgotten is the pianos at the local nursing homes. The one at my great grandmother's was mediocre, but they were happy to have anyone mildly proficient play almost anytime. The piano at my other great-grandmother's nursing home was muuuuuuuuch nicer. It was more of an assisted living.

If you have any swankier retirement communities in your area you might call thier activities directors and ask about playing there.

• Like 4

I don't normally do this, but I'm heading out soon so posting my reply without reading the whole thread:

My experience as a kid was that the grand piano was a reward after several years of work. I had to do a couple of years of recorder before my parents bought me my first upright piano, then the grand came after I got an As for all my exams up to grade 5. I think it was a combination of space constraints and finances, though, rather than out of concern for spoiling.

If you have (or can arrange) the money and space, and you're sure the grand piano will be used, I wouldn't avoid getting it just out of principle. It doesn't have to be your daughter's piano; it can be the new family piano (even if she's the only one who plays at the moment) and she would respect it and take care of it the same as she does any other major piece of equipment (like your car). Buying a nice piano when she is working hard at piano for an hour or two every day isn't spoiling. (Spoiling would be something like: she doesn't play, but she randomly saw a concert grand somewhere and said "I want one. Give me one!". And you did.)

On the other hand, I'd disagree with the piano teacher. Many excellent piano players have learned on an upright piano, and unless this teacher is a piano tutor to the celebrities it's ridiculous to suggest that every kid needs a grand. All you need is to arrange for her to practice on one a few times before any recitals, auditions or exams (and if at all possible, it's better that she practices on the actual piano she will be playing in the event anyway). 

If you do upgrade, whether to a better quality upright or a grand, be sure to get someone you trust, and whose knowledge is up to date, to help you choose. Although it's generally a case of you get what you pay for, that isn't always the case.

There's nothing wrong with investing in a great piano. It won't spoil your child. She doesn't even need to know what it cost. :) A great piano can last a pianist a lifetime.

I do not agree with the piano teacher's reasoning. You can do pretty much the same things on a good upright that you can do on a grand piano. Our piano teacher did recommend a grand piano for my ds because he is fairly serious about piano, because she felt that he would benefit from having the best quality sound possible.

If you are not comfortable spending the money for a good grand piano, or don't have space for a grand piano, you may want to look for a good upright. We told our piano teacher that a grand would be fabulous, but only if we could throw a tablecloth over it and eat off of it for meals. We simply don't have room for a grand piano in our home. Her recommendation was to look for a well-made great sounding full-sized upright piano.  We bought a nice (not fabulous or super high quality, because we also had to consider a pretty tight budget) upright, and feel that every penny was well-spent. It sounds great, and ds loves to play it. His teacher is happy with our choice and feels that it does not hamper his playing in the least. I enjoy listening because it sounds great.

But I wouldn't let the idea of spoiling your child hold you back from buying her a grand piano, as long as you can afford it and have the space. She's clearly dedicated to her playing, and you can look at it from the perspective of encouraging her to pursue her interest. :)

Cat

I'm wondering what level your kids is at? 

These are my boys last year so ages 7 and 9. We have a nice electric keyboard at home, and the teacher says no need to get anything else. The keyboard is nice with touch sensitive keys and cost perhaps 2000 dollars. The teacher has an upright piano at her house and teaches piano levels grade nothing to 6. Her kids (she has three) range from grade 5 to 8.

The only time my boys use a grand piano is twice a year at the recital when they preform.

I love your video!  It brings back memories of my kids' piano lessons :)  My younger remembers playing the pieces your older son played in the video.  My kids now play other instruments, and no longer play piano. 

I tend to agree with the majority of posters; a grand is nice, but I wouldn't sacrifice to obtain one, even for a promising ten year old.  If it's not a stretch financially, and there is plenty of room, well, sure.

FWIW, my 17 year old is an advanced pianist, recently earned a superior rating at an adjudication, and she has played on a Yamaha electronic upright for 13 years.  She has two different piano teachers; one is a professional musician with national gigs on the piano.  He lives in a tiny duplex, and doesn't have a grand.

• Like 1

I have two degrees in piano performance, and I'm currently trying to convince DH that I deserve a (really expensive) grand piano! I really love the upright that we have and it has met my teaching and practicing needs well for the last twelve years. But there is definitely a difference performing on a grand versus an upright. Your teacher is not wrong that there are things you cannot do on an upright. Two of the three pedals work differently on a grand, and I have never yet played on an upright with an action that is quite like a grand. Mine is very, very good, but I am getting to a point where I really want to start practicing and performing more challenging repertoire again, and I really feel like the upright hinders me a bit.

Also, I was fifteen when my university professor teacher began writing notes to my parents about how I really ought to be practicing on a grand piano. I was playing concertos, Beethoven/Mozart Sonatas, Chopin ĂƒÂ©tudes, etc at the time. For a while I would practice on a neighbor's grand before big competitions. And eventually my parents sacrificed to buy and squeeze a grand piano into their tiny living room that is still one of their most prized possessions. I did have four younger sisters that got plenty of use out of it, though.

I think your daughter would be fine practicing on your upright for a while. But to me it sounds like she is on a path that will lead her to a place in the future when she would definitely benefit from a grand. Only you can decide that, though. Congrats on having such a disciplined musician in the house!

• Like 1

I have two degrees in piano performance, and I'm currently trying to convince DH that I deserve a (really expensive) grand piano! I really love the upright that we have and it has met my teaching and practicing needs well for the last twelve years. But there is definitely a difference performing on a grand versus an upright. Your teacher is not wrong that there are things you cannot do on an upright. Two of the three pedals work differently on a grand, and I have never yet played on an upright with an action that is quite like a grand. Mine is very, very good, but I am getting to a point where I really want to start practicing and performing more challenging repertoire again, and I really feel like the upright hinders me a bit.

Also, I was fifteen when my university professor teacher began writing notes to my parents about how I really ought to be practicing on a grand piano. I was playing concertos, Beethoven/Mozart Sonatas, Chopin ĂƒÂ©tudes, etc at the time. For a while I would practice on a neighbor's grand before big competitions. And eventually my parents sacrificed to buy and squeeze a grand piano into their tiny living room that is still one of their most prized possessions. I did have four younger sisters that got plenty of use out of it, though.

I think your daughter would be fine practicing on your upright for a while. But to me it sounds like she is on a path that will lead her to a place in the future when she would definitely benefit from a grand. Only you can decide that, though. Congrats on having such a disciplined musician in the house!

Can I ask which upright it is that you use and that has been a good fit for you? After reading all these replies, we went out and tried the Yamaha U3 this afternoon, and it didn't really sound a whole lot better than our little Baldwin studio. I'll probably get flamed for that, but I just didn't feel the U3 love at all. So, now I'm trying to figure out what else could be a good option.

Can I ask which upright it is that you use and that has been a good fit for you? After reading all these replies, we went out and tried the Yamaha U3 this afternoon, and it didn't really sound a whole lot better than our little Baldwin studio. I'll probably get flamed for that, but I just didn't feel the U3 love at all. So, now I'm trying to figure out what else could be a good option.

Sure, it is a Czech brand, Petrof. I'm not sure they are available in the U.S. anymore. I know our local store that carries European brands doesn't have them. I played on a lot of pianos before I fell in love with this one. It has a big, rich sound that I can imagine coming from a grand if I close my eyes. Ă°Å¸ËœÅ  The action is very good, if a bit light for my taste. I feel like it handles very sensitively, but the trade off is the lightness, which I really notice when I play on a grand. It takes more strength and my hands get tired! I considered actually weighting the keys when we first bought it, but decided against it. It has also grown very bright over the years, a little too much for me now. But I think my tuner knows how to deal with that. This is all kind of subjective, though. The Piano Book by Larry Fine is one of the best resources to consult if you're looking at buying another instrument.

In my ds' piano studio, it is a requirement to have a well maintained grand. The teacher also requires that she play the piano at the store/factory prior to purchase. This is a serious studio with a serious and dedicated teacher. Her students compete nationally and internationally and win all the time. There is a huge difference between an upright and a grand, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. The bottom line is that for an advancing student, staying on an upright will limit her progression.

Having said that, YOU need to decide if you can accommodate a grand: financially, space-wise, and sound-wise. We made the purchase when our oldest was 12 and we switched studios to this very serious one. The more beginner and intermediate studios didn't have the same requirement. It made a HUGE difference in what my dc could do musically. It was a major purchase for us and we did a lot of research and shopping before we bought it.

To your original question...I can't see it spoiling your child at all. I don't think she'll make a connection like that. A quality musical instrument is a tool to serve a purpose, not a pair of designer jeans, kwim?

• Like 1

My first thought is that teacher sounds pretentious and ridiculous.

I couldn't think of the right words, but yep these are the right words!

It would be cool to have a grand piano.  I don't think this would "spoil' a kid, but either you can or want to spend the money or you don't.  I don't think it's dire that you do spend the money.

If your daughter is that good and that dedicated, there is likely to be a church that would let her practice on theirs. That's what my DS11 and another boy do at pour church. The music director at the church loves it - he often comes in just to listen and praise.

• Like 2

Personally, if I had space and $$ I would buy a baby grand for ME.  (Would a baby grand work?)  I would be kind enough to let my kids use it.  :)

I have wanted a baby grand since I was a kid myself.  They sound so much nicer than an upright.

But do you have someplace to put it without moving the whole family out of the living room?

I would not treat it as "her" piano, it would be "our" piano.  And I see nothing wrong with such a purchase.  How is it any different from paying more for a big SUV when a sedan would serve etc.?  Most families who have the means make purchases that are not strictly necessary.

Two piano stores told me that. Obviously, I was skeptical and asked the teacher whether they were correct or just trying to sell me more piano. She said they were correct and that I would need to upgrade again in a year or two. But, it's been a few months of indecision for us, and we still have our little old Baldwin.

What a load of horsey-poo.  Do you guys live in some kind of super-affluent area where people are taking out walls to put grand pianos in their kids' bedrooms? :svengo:   I live in a very HCOL area myself, but I don't know any teachers that give that kind of advice.  I have heard that at some point they'd prefer you move to a real piano vs. a keyboard or even electric piano, but upright vs. grand vs. baby grand?  I've never heard anyone be given that advice.  Not unless they have a prodigy.  We actually have a prodigy here in town - he's played often with the Boston Pops.  Maybe with that level of talent it would be good to have a grand (I have no idea if he does or not, but at that level at least it wouldn't sound completely bonkers to suggest one).  But a regular kid learning to play?  WTH??

We have an upright.  I could have had a baby grand for the cost of moving it, but honestly I don't have room in our house for even a baby grand - well, if I gave up a whole entire room, maybe.  The upright was left in our house when we bought it.  It was a wreck.  We had it re-built for $2000, which is now about what it's worth.  It's a great little piano, ivory keys, nice action (nicer, actually, than the baby grand I would have gotten, which was my grandmother's).

My dd has been taking lessons since she was 5.  Now she's 16.  She plays very well.  Never once has it been suggested that we buy a different piano.  I have lots and lots of friends whose kids take piano lessons from many different teachers and have for years and years.  I don't think any of them even have a baby grand...

• Like 2

What a load of horsey-poo.  Do you guys live in some kind of super-affluent area where people are taking out walls to put grand pianos in their kids' bedrooms? :svengo:   I live in a very HCOL area myself, but I don't know any teachers that give that kind of advice.  I have heard that at some point they'd prefer you move to a real piano vs. a keyboard or even electric piano, but upright vs. grand vs. baby grand?  I've never heard anyone be given that advice.  Not unless they have a prodigy.  We actually have a prodigy here in town - he's played often with the Boston Pops.  Maybe with that level of talent it would be good to have a grand (I have no idea if he does or not, but at that level at least it wouldn't sound completely bonkers to suggest one).  But a regular kid learning to play?  WTH??

We have an upright.  I could have had a baby grand for the cost of moving it, but honestly I don't have room in our house for even a baby grand - well, if I gave up a whole entire room, maybe.  The upright was left in our house when we bought it.  It was a wreck.  We had it re-built for $2000, which is now about what it's worth.  It's a great little piano, ivory keys, nice action (nicer, actually, than the baby grand I would have gotten, which was my grandmother's).

My dd has been taking lessons since she was 5.  Now she's 16.  She plays very well.  Never once has it been suggested that we buy a different piano.  I have lots and lots of friends whose kids take piano lessons from many different teachers and have for years and years.  I don't think any of them even have a baby grand...o pu

Again, it depends on how serious the student is and whether the rate of progression is important to the parents. If this is just a hobby/extra-curricular, then maybe it's not necessary, BUT, if the child displays promise and talent AND he/she desires to put in the time necessary to develop musically, then no, it's not a load of horsey-poo. And I don't think your child has to be a "prodigy", whatever that means. You know how many people use that term, and in actuality the kid is talented, yes, but mostly they practice hours a day and saturate themselves with music? And a grand is very helpful for that.

We actually did convert an entire room for our piano.

Again, it depends on how serious the student is and whether the rate of progression is important to the parents. If this is just a hobby/extra-curricular, then maybe it's not necessary, BUT, if the child displays promise and talent AND he/she desires to put in the time necessary to develop musically, then no, it's not a load of horsey-poo. And I don't think your child has to be a "prodigy", whatever that means. You know how many people use that term, and in actuality the kid is talented, yes, but mostly they practice hours a day and saturate themselves with music? And a grand is very helpful for that.

We actually did convert an entire room for our piano.

When I said prodigy, I was referring to a middle-school-aged kid (well, he's in high school now) who has performed as a soloist for multiple nationally acclaimed orchestras. (actually I just googled him - heck, he's played Carnegie Hall - I didn't even know that).

That kid is not my kid. ;)  I also know quite a number of the very talented kids who practice for hours and saturate themselves with music and are quite advanced (not prodigies, but talented and driven).  If I had one of those kids, I would probably also consider a grand (or baby) if they begged for one because they loved music so much.  If I had a kid that expressed a sincere desire to perform on the piano (really perform, not the recital), I would certainly consider it. 

When my kids were younger, they'd practice about an hour a day, which I think is fairly typical.  They had a lot of talent, but not a lot of drive. For that, I'm not buying a huge piano and clearing a room when we have a perfectly nice one already.

Looking back at the OP, it does sound like the OP's dd is reasonably dedicated and could really use a quality instrument.  But does she need a concert grand to get quality.  Would a nicer upright or a baby grand be a compromise?  All uprights are not created equal.  I really like ours - it's 100 years old, but it has nice sound and nice action.  Some of the newer ones seem plasticky and tinny and have mushy action.  The baby grand at my mom's has great action, but her mother's (the one I almost got), did not have as good action as that or my upright...

Before I spent all that, I'd also have a frank talk with dd.  Does she love the piano?  Where does she see herself going with it?  So many kids poop out in middle school, even ones that were once enthusiastic.  I'd want this feeling of need for a better piano coming from dd, not the teacher or the piano sales guy. That would be the big thing for me.  If my dd was rushing to the piano to practice daily and complaining bitterly about not being able to perfect her playing because of the limitations of the instrument, I'd probably upgrade - just not sure if all the way to the top of the line.  If your current piano's a Yugo, you probably want at least a Camry, but do you need a Rolls?

I just want to mention something that I'm not sure anybody else did, but OP. you mentioned that your daughter's teacher is having issues with her being able to adjust to the piano during a lesson.

I grew up all superawesomepianoprodigy like some of the others here, but then didn't have a piano in the house for many, many years.  I finally took my parent's old spinet a couple of years ago, and began lessons with a prominent teacher..  

It didn't take me long to be able to play some very advanced pieces on my piano - pieces which I could not play the same anywhere else.  Not on my teacher's gorgeous grand, not on either of her uprights, not on her keyboard (maybe sometimes on the harpsichord because I love that thing).  I think half of my lessons were me saying, "I swear, I've been practicing!"

It has to do with, I don't know, everything.  On every piano the visuals are different, the tactile sensation is different, the sounds are different, and I'm a perfectionist who hates having people hear me make mistakes.  And I just could not adjust very well. 

So She made me choose a very short piece that I thoroughly enjoyed and knew very well, and play it EVERYWHERE possible.  Any time I saw a piano, I was to play it so that I would begin to use the piano as a tool to express my music, not use the music to try out a piano.  Let's just say I am a work in progress, since for no apparent reason, I'm still very shy about playing for people, but at least I can play on her piano now!

Yes, playing a grand is a bit different.  If you want one, can easily afford one, and have the space for it, go for it.   I don't believe that having one increases your natural ability, so I don't believe NOT having one would be a detriment at this point in her life unless you think she is going to be soloing with the Blahblah Symphony Orchestra in the next couple of years.

In my ds' piano studio, it is a requirement to have a well maintained grand. The teacher also requires that she play the piano at the store/factory prior to purchase. This is a serious studio with a serious and dedicated teacher. Her students compete nationally and internationally and win all the time. There is a huge difference between an upright and a grand, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. The bottom line is that for an advancing student, staying on an upright will limit her progression.

Having said that, YOU need to decide if you can accommodate a grand: financially, space-wise, and sound-wise. We made the purchase when our oldest was 12 and we switched studios to this very serious one. The more beginner and intermediate studios didn't have the same requirement. It made a HUGE difference in what my dc could do musically. It was a major purchase for us and we did a lot of research and shopping before we bought it.

To your original question...I can't see it spoiling your child at all. I don't think she'll make a connection like that. A quality musical instrument is a tool to serve a purpose, not a pair of designer jeans, kwim?

Yes, this sounds exactly like my DD's teacher (even down to the requirement that the teacher plays the piano in the store before we purchase it). There are two teachers in my city that have the students that win everything, and my DD's teacher is one of them. Her older kids win every award, take every scholarship, etc. She has *extremely* high expectations for this group of kids (and they seem to rise to the occasion), and I do now understand that she seems to have an unwritten rule that they're going to get a grand once they get to the intermediate level.

I'm not sure she's necessarily nuts or pathologically pompous. I just think she has the best kids in town and has some extremely high expectations for what the parents will do for them.

She agreed to take my DD because she is homeschooled and therefore has time to practice all day, I just felt *tremendously* grateful, and I never thought about the consequences of being with this group.

Your teacher is correct that there is a big difference between playing on an upright and playing on a grand. The piano was designed as a grand, with the action of the piano dampers being influenced by gravity. They "fall" onto the piano strings. An upright has to compensate for that by having a mechanism move them onto the strings. You cannot get the same result from an upright when you need to play very quickly or very quietly.

I have seen many, many recitals done by advanced students on uprights. When my daughter competed in piano competitions she played on a grand by was accompanied by her teacher on an upright. It can be done, but it just won't be done as well.

Your daughter sounds very dedicated to the piano. It was the same with my daughter. When she was 10 years old we bought her a grand piano. It made a world of difference in what she was able to achieve as far as her playing went, and showed her that we were as dedicated to her doing well as she was.

If you buy wisely the piano will not depreciate and you can sell it down the road for the same if not more.

And I don't think your child has to be a "prodigy", whatever that means. You know how many people use that term, and in actuality the kid is talented, yes, but mostly they practice hours a day and saturate themselves with music?

I'm so glad you said that about prodigies. My DD's teacher has 24 of the best kids in town, and only one is a true prodigy--the rest just practice and practice and practice and practice...

• Like 1

I just want to mention something that I'm not sure anybody else did, but OP. you mentioned that your daughter's teacher is having issues with her being able to adjust to the piano during a lesson.

I grew up all superawesomepianoprodigy like some of the others here, but then didn't have a piano in the house for many, many years.  I finally took my parent's old spinet a couple of years ago, and began lessons with a prominent teacher..  

It didn't take me long to be able to play some very advanced pieces on my piano - pieces which I could not play the same anywhere else.  Not on my teacher's gorgeous grand, not on either of her uprights, not on her keyboard (maybe sometimes on the harpsichord because I love that thing).  I think half of my lessons were me saying, "I swear, I've been practicing!"

It has to do with, I don't know, everything.  On every piano the visuals are different, the tactile sensation is different, the sounds are different, and I'm a perfectionist who hates having people hear me make mistakes.  And I just could not adjust very well. 

So She made me choose a very short piece that I thoroughly enjoyed and knew very well, and play it EVERYWHERE possible.  Any time I saw a piano, I was to play it so that I would begin to use the piano as a tool to express my music, not use the music to try out a piano.  Let's just say I am a work in progress, since for no apparent reason, I'm still very shy about playing for people, but at least I can play on her piano now!

Yes, playing a grand is a bit different.  If you want one, can easily afford one, and have the space for it, go for it.   I don't believe that having one increases your natural ability, so I don't believe NOT having one would be a detriment at this point in her life unless you think she is going to be soloing with the Blahblah Symphony Orchestra in the next couple of years.

Yes. this.

I shared this thread with my piano loving dd and she said that every piano feels different. She's played at several different churches, at her piano teacher's house, at friend's houses, etc. She's played grands, baby grands, uprights and electric pianos. Part of being a pianist is adjusting to the feel of an instrument. So you will be well-served to take your dd to different places to help her learn to adjust to the different feels of an instrument.

So buying your dd her own grand may not make that big of a difference if the problem is learning to adjust.

• Like 3

The difference in the action is mechanical.  Uprights rely on gravity to return the keys to the up position, and may be too slow for quick repeat notes.  The keys in grands actually have little leaf-spring mechanisms that push the key back up quickly.  This allows much faster trills and repeated notes.  That is the responsiveness your dd's teacher is referring to, and there are a lot of those types of passages in Chopin's music.  The touch also makes a difference in the variation of dynamics and differences in the *ring* the strings can produce.  These differences are subtle, and require the finesse of a more accomplished pianist.  It sounds like your teacher wants to take your dd to a higher level that just may not be possible with your piano.  Whether or when you want to go with her to this next level is another question.

I will just throw out that it is possible for a child to get "spoiled" by a good instrument, but not in an entitlement sort of way.  

As background, I have a really good piano.  I sort of inherited my Steinway baby grand from my old piano teacher.  (In her will, she gave me first right of refusal to buy it at a deep discount.)  When she passed, my dh insisted that we buy it.   I felt SO guilty spending so much on such an indulgence.  But, I am glad I have it now.  It is so special to me.  I took my lessons on it as a child, though I practiced on a 1925 spinet at home.  I could do things on the baby grand that were impossible on my spinet.  Trills were one thing.  Gradual dynamic changes were another.  My spinet keys just weren't as fast, and they only had about three dynamics (forte, mezzo-something, and piano -- nothing in between).  All three of my children learned to play on it. My older dd now plays far better than me, and my younger dd is learning on it.  I suppose they'll fight over it someday.  But for now, it is mine.  :)

My children are spoiled, in a way, by my good piano.  Just to offer some perspective (which may not be helpful at all), my 9yo practices on my Steinway at home.  Her teacher has a modest upright that needs work.  (The action on it is bad, and it doesn't sound nearly as good).  Dd has trouble on her teacher's piano because she is used to the responsiveness and the sound of my piano.  At her lesson, when she tries to play trill-like passages (which I know she can play at home), some of the notes don't play. She has to push those upright keys really hard.  This is very frustrating for dd, and for her teacher.  Dd is always pointing out that she can do it at home, and the teacher is always insisting that she just needs to play with a firmer touch.  In this sense, you could say that dd is spoiled by this piano, not because she thinks she is special and entitled, but because she is used to a really good piano.  Almost any other piano causes her frustration.  

What does your daughter think?  It sounds like she's highly motivated, as I've never known another 10 year old who was willing to practice 2 1/2 hours a day.  That's impressive.  Does she want to be a concert pianist?  It sounds like you are willing to pay a lot for lessons.  Investing in a good instrument will take her a long way, but the rest is up to her.  A good piano really does make a difference, but is it worth the investment?  A crystal ball would be nice, to know if she will still be as passionate in ten years.  But, these next 8 years will be important, too.  I feel for you.  This is not an easy decision.

• Like 4