Menu

Library membership - would you pay?

135 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to be part of a better library system?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'd pay for a different way to access books
    • Other (please specify)

We live in tiny town and our library is VERY small (or it is compared to where I used to live). We do have access to the other libraries in neighboring cities via interlibrary loan. Even with the additional cities, though, I am constantly frustrated with the lack of availability for what I would consider to be more common books (Pride and Prejudice, Shakespeare, etc). 

However, we are close to a larger library system, just outside of our county of residence. Since we are not residents, it would be $65/year to obtain a library card.
We are often in this city, since that's where we go for church, to go shopping, or eat out. So, it's not like it would be out of our way. 

Would you go ahead and pay the $65 to get better selection/availability for education purposes? Is there a better option out there that I'm not seeing? 

My sister (homeschooling 3) buys all her books on Amazon.  I can't afford to do that.  I get all my reading material through the library, and often have between 50-100 books checked out at one time due to homeschooling (and in 3 years have had less than $6 in fees, $4 of which was for a video that got misplaced).  If I didn't have a good library system, I would absolutely pay for one if it were accessible.

I would and I have.

For most of my boys' pre-K to 8th grade experience we had a paid membership to a nearby town's library system, which also allowed us to use ILL through their participating neighboring libraries. This library was their place to go and spend the morning or afternoon, finding as many treasures as they could carry away. It seemed a necessary hs'ing expense, as we had access to wonderful books and a wonderful place to go for information and stories.

Our local branch library in our city township is not awesome, but ILL through the city-wide system is very good. So as the boys outgrew playtime and storybooks at the library I dropped the small town library membership, and we switched over to requesting whatever we want through the ILL website. We drop in at our local branch library at least twice per week to pick up our holds and check out movies. We drive to the city now and then for the day-long library experience at the big downtown library, but otherwise we just ILL everything.

I said yes, but I have to say the attitude of the library toward patrons and fines would be the big decider for me. I've lived places where the attitude toward fines is relaxed and reasonable and I've lived places where they send you a court summons and death threats (okay, it was just a lawyer and a court summons) for books that are a week overdue. You couldn't pay me to use a library system with the latter attitude no matter how good their collection.

I would do it.

And then, I would figure out how to make it work for you.  We have a library 5 minutes from us, but I tend to place a hold (library website) on all the materials I'm wanting.  I run in, grab my holds at the desk... out the door. 

Our library offered a "resources for homeschoolers" info meeting, which I thought would be mostly old news.  It wasn't.  I was blown away at all the resources we had not yet tapped. So ask if they have something like that at your library and then do it!  $65 will seem like a steal.   ;)

I said yes, but I have to say the attitude of the library toward patrons and fines would be the big decider for me. I've lived places where the attitude toward fines is relaxed and reasonable and I've lived places where they send you a court summons and death threats (okay, it was just a lawyer and a court summons) for books that are a week overdue. You couldn't pay me to use a library system with the latter attitude no matter how good their collection.

That's RIDICULOUS! 

I was late a day on some books and they call it a "grace day". I loved that. But, you are very right. I couldn't handle a library like that! 

We pay $45 a year for library membership in a larger town for the same reasons as the OP. I definately feel like it is worth it. Access to the digital library has worked out wonderfully. And they have a large selection of audio books. It does take some planning on my part. We are probably in this town 3-4 times a month, so I have a list going all the time of things I want/need. Their checkout length is 21 days also. That helps with fines. Although when we moved I had 5-6 movies and a lot of books out at one time. Of course the movies and books got packed up with everything else! When I finally dug them out, the fine was $60!!! Anyway, I believe it's worth it. I have a checked out thousands of dollars worth of books just in the past year.

Another perk: They have lots of interesting displays, lectures, and classes. My kids favorite was Viking Day. It was an awesome display of how they lived. They even set up replicas of the tents on the front lawn.

In theory, yes. If I had a desire to use a physical library on a regular basis and $65 was affordably in my budget, I would. However, I'm leaning away from physical library usage because I'm awful about getting things returned on time. So, like Farrar said, it would depend partially on their overdue policies (one of those libraries that doesn't charge overdue fees to homeschoolers? Definitely worth the cost).

I have considered paying for access to a library with an excellent ebook selection.

Even being able to access their digital library would pay for it, imo. 

I guess I just want to make sure I'm not throwing my money at something if there's a better option. 

IF paying allowed me to access the digital library aspect, there are a couple of different libraries I'd be willing to join (King County is one of them)

I would and I have.  My out-of-area library lets you take out 100 books at a time - per card (and we have five cards)!!  You can renew online or by phone, books go out for three weeks and are renewable twice, and the library is extremely well-stocked.  The librarians are excellent - friendly, helpful, and knowlegable.  For a few bucks a month, it's money very well spent.  

Over the years, living in the same town, we've accumulated cards at our in-county library, ones in two other counties, and two in other states.  It's so nice to have access to materials at very low cost, and it's also nice to be able to take them back when we are done so others can use them, rather than having them linger on our shelves for years.

We pay $25 a year because our township voted out of paying for the library. I like paying myself. Our interlibrary loan has saved us a ton of money. I get 10 books at least every week during History semester. I would pay $65 if it wasn't an out of the way library. Car side service...I'm so jealous!

I couldn't manage without the library, so yes, if the one we had were inadequate I would pay for a better option. And $65 per year isn't all that much if you're going to use it regularly. $1.25 per week, so if you borrow a dozen books per week that's only about 10c per book.

I would.  I have paid to get a library card so I wouldn't have to drive as far.  I live in a town without a public library.  I can check books out of the main county branch (including ones ordered through ILL from other branches) which is about 20-30 minutes from my house.   A few years back, I paid $140/year to get a card from the branch in the next town over, which is maybe 2 miles from my house.  They did some remodeling and stopped accepting paid cardholders so I switched to the county branch at that point and decided the drive wasn't that bad.  Especially when we were there at least twice a month for 4-H anyway.

We go to a library that we have to pay $80 per year for a card. We just use the library when we are nearby but we don't borrow from that library since we don't want to pay.

I do have plenty of free libraries just as near to borrow from though.

If it's the system I'm thinking of (Santa Clara county), they recently eliminated the fee.

My husband kind of thought I was silly, but I think I can convince him that it's better to pay $5.42 a month vs $10+ per book.

TaratheLiberator, thanks for the monthly breakdown. I often fail to look at it per month. That's definitely cheap!

We pay $50 a year to access a large neighboring system. I think of it as less than the cost of three books.

We pay $75 / year to belong to our neighboring town's library (and it has access to a larger consortium, as well). We divide by 12 and call $1 / person / month the Bargain of the Century!

Our non-resident pass gives us access to all programs, museum passes, a much larger book selection, hours that fit our needs MUCH better, a more professionally trained staff, and events throughout the year.

I'm about to do the same thing!  I can reserve books and just swing in to pick them up.  Our local library is fine, but it has terrible fees for everything under the sun.  I'm excited to go in and get it going on Thursday.  So worth the $40 a year to me!

I voted "no" because I have never lived anywhere that I had to pay to use the library, and the concept is completely foreign to me.

My mother would probably have voted "yes," because she lived in a small town outside of Tacoma, and had to pay to use the library, but that was her norm.

Call the library in the capital city. Most capital cities give you a free card and access to all the online books and subscriptions. The subscriptions can be Hoopla which includes Bill Nye videos and the Zinio Magazines should include National Geographic. Some libraries have Brain Pop and World Book.

Always always call your capital city!!

I would pay a low cost like that. I go to the library every week and take out lots of books at a time. If I didn't have access to a good system in my town but a nearby town had a good one and allowed you to pay a fee that was reasonable I would. It is way more expensive to buy all the books I go through at the library. 

I would pay that if I didn't have a better option.

You might want to look into local universities library systems. The one near me has a fee for non-student use, but when I went to get a card that waved it since I was homeschooling. I was completely surprised, as it wasn't in their policies, but it's worth checking out.

We live in a small rural county with limited library resources.  The neighboring county has a fantastic library system.  We pay $25/year to join.  I'm in town in that county at least weekly, so it is easy to make my library trips.  It is well worth the money and slight inconvenience. 

holy cow! They have drive-up service. I can drive up and they'll bring my reserved books out to me. THAT is worth $65!

My library has online reservations and drive up. I swear, it has transformed our lives. We get so many books this way! All our history and science and much or our fiction is handled without ever even finding parking. It is glorious.

I would pay it.

But it's interesting to me how many people here pay for their library service. I thought most areas pay for libraries through taxes. I guess I'm glad our area still does. We don't pay to use our county library system, and our library has reciprocal agreements with almost every other library in the state. I could travel all over and get free library cards. 😀

I am a member of the local university alumni association for the sole purpose of having check out privileges there. And I have access for free to two of the largest and best regarded library systems in the country because the city and county each have their own. So yes, in your shoes I would definitely pay $65 to have access to one better system. That's less than $5.50 a month. Unless that sum would be prohibitive, I say do it.

I voted no but it really kind of depends. Where we live there is a fee for adults to use the library, kids are free. Both of my kids have a card and we use it. However, we are constantly late in returning books... We probably could buy some of the books for those fees (obviously that is our fault/problem but does factor in my decision). The library is kind of small and doesn't have too many books I am interested in. However, the main issue is that I prefer my own reading to be mostly in English, the library (obviously) has mostly books in the local language. So in our case a somewhat bigger selection wouldn't make much difference.

If I could get a majority of the books I buy on Amazon through the library I would pay.

We paid more than the using the "free" library system when we lived in California. It cost $1.00 to request a book from a library in the system. So many common children's books required this. FYI , you never knew when a book would come in , so if your request came in while you were on vacation or sick , it cost another $1.00 if you didn't pick it up within a short time frme. The posted library hours were a joke, often you would get there and they would be mysteriously closed. No evening hours either. We were so glad to move back to Texas. Even interlibary loan is free here. I love libraries and would pay it.

In a heartbeat. To buy every book we read instead of borrowing it from the library would be hugely cost prohibitive, especially in the area of kids supplemental/educational books. 65$ a year is a drop in the bucket compared to what we would have to spend to maintain our current reading habits.