Menu

Many children (100+) killed by the Taliban in Pakistan

umsami

Just emphasizing that as always, the people who suffer the most from Islamic extremists are Muslims.   The people who stand up to such extremists put their lives and their families' lives on the line.

The Taliban attacked an army-run school in Peshawar, Pakistan.  They killed over 100 children there.  

http://qz.com/313270/a-horrific-attack-at-a-peshawar-school-shows-where-the-heaviest-burden-of-terrorism-lies/

If you want to know more about Peshawar, this Wiki article will help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshawar  Basically, it's in northwest Pakistan....so near the border with Afghanistan.  Tajikistan would be to its northern border. 

So sad.  :sad:  If you all haven't read it yet, I'd encourage you to read I Am Malala.  It chronicles the experience of a young Muslim girl from the Swat district of Pakistan who was shot by the Taliban for speaking out in favor of education for girls after her area had come under extremist influence.  She is the youngest recipient of a Nobel Peace Prize (now 17). 

Umsami,

I heard about this horrific act of evil this morning and thought of you and the other Muslim families who are part of this community.

There are no words . . . I am so sorry for the lives lost and the families destroyed. I am sorry for individuals such as you who must endure hostility due to hatred, fear and ignorance. This on top of the situation in Australia is too much to bear.

It is no consolation, and perhaps I am speaking out of turn when I say I predict this type of extremism will eventually end when people everywhere stand together and stand up against the slaughter of innocents. That day cannot come soon enough . . .

I pray for your safety and that of your family and the heartache you must feel . . .

I truly don't understand the mindset of people who think, "Killing children. Great idea! Let's do it!"

(Edited to remove some sentiments that definitely did not reflect Christian grace or charity.)

Really, what makes a group come to believe that is ok? They can't all be insane.

Really, what makes a group come to believe that is ok? They can't all be insane.

They want to make people too afraid to send their kids to school, and however they do it is ok by them. It is because they recognize that education is the enemy of fanaticism.

Heartbreaking.

They want to make people too afraid to send their kids to school, and however they do it is ok by them. It is because they recognize that education is the enemy of fanaticism.

Heartbreaking.

But, what makes a father/brother/uncle go from thinking 'children are innocent' to 'children should be murdered'?? What makes them able to carry out such a repulsive act?? It goes against human nature.

Their reasoning (according to an article I read on the BBC) is that the army has killed some of their wives and children, so they should understand how it feels.

Deaths are now over 140.  One suicide bomber blew himself up in a class of 60.  They set on fire one of the teachers and made the kids watch.  It's beyond horrific.  

I wish I could be shocked by this. I so, so wish...

I think Kiana has explained it well. Desperate people, facing change they can't deal with, that is who resorts to evil acts like this. I wish it were uncommon in human history, but I can think of a number of times things like this have occured when people lived under an oppressive government, from Moses to Herod to Hitler...

I am so sorry. It is appauling, just appauing.

I will light a candle tonight, but at times the light feels so small in the face of such darkness...

Nan

I have a good friend who is a teacher trainer in rural Pakistan. In the late 90's I got to visit for a couple of weeks and she took me all over the country. I remember Swat.

:-(

People join in that area sometimes because of crushing generational poverty and isolation. Both of which schools would help alleviate better than any extreme cult. It's a double loss.

My prayers go out to those affected. We have some friends from Pakistan. Although they could have been safe here and done well for themselves in the US, they chose to return to their home and try to make a difference. I have a lot of admiration for them, and pray that they stay safe.

But, what makes a father/brother/uncle go from thinking 'children are innocent' to 'children should be murdered'?? What makes them able to carry out such a repulsive act?? It goes against human nature.

From what I've read about the Taliban, they are orphans who have been er, raised, by the Taliban and are not fathers, brothers or uncles.

I think the only potential good that may come out of this is that many people are saying that even in areas which somewhat support the Taliban, people are horrified. Perhaps they will lose support and the death of these poor children will lead to positive change.  I surely hope so.  

A good friend's ex-husband basically runs his own charity in the region.  He's been in the US for, I don't know 30+ years, but has recently started spending a lot of time trying to help people back home.  He's not there full-time, but goes back a few times per year.  I am always amazed at how much a difference he makes in short 2-3 week trips.  He went back in November, and in 2-3 weeks, they (copied from a Facebook post he made) :

1. Provided  school furniture for two elementary schools. 300 student no longer sit on bare floors: Nov., 2014

2. construction of shed for 1st grade students. no more sitting in open space in winter/summer: Nov., 2014
3. construction of ONE well supplying drinking water to 3 schools: Nov., 2014
4. addressed immediate needs of 2 elementry schools in village shakhogram & shamardin: Nov., 2014
5. conducted "25 years education strategy" seminar with youth from 11 villages
6. placed two computers in each middle school class of village shamardin: Nov., 2014
7. in order to aspire youth, took 24 kids to 3 universities in peshawar and met with dept. heads: Nov., 2014
8. opened village maandesh computer and language center: Nov., 2014
9. equipped maandesh health camp center: Nov., 2014
10. funded sports equipment for 6 teams: Nov., 2014
11. sponsored dead body washing facility for a village: Nov., 2014

I'd probably be extremely happy if I did just one of these things.  Reason I'm writing this is to let everybody know that there are good people working in the region, trying to make a difference.  Not all Pashtun people are misogynists or backwards. 

On my Facebook newsfeed, I saw that one of my Muslim friends had "liked" the post of a Muslim man who had written about how awful this was. It was a public person, I suppose, because there were thousands of likes and comments. Scrolling through the comments, About half were also denouncing the attack and saying how these people were not Muslims because Islam prohibits such atrocities. The other half, though, were calling it a conspiracy on the part of the CIA, Israel, and India and saying that the Taliban would never do that. I was shocked to see so many people voicing such an opinion.

Those poor children...and their families! I cannot imagine...I don't want to imagine. 

It brings back memories of Sandy Hook (shudder). I am *so* thankful that I can homeschool my kids. I just couldn't send them to school after reading something like this.

I can only hope that this horrific tragedy will cause Taliban supporters to turn on them.