Menu

s/o Can we talk about fried chicken?

gaillardia

I love fried chicken but I don't make it. The last time I priced it at kfc I walked out; drove down to wm and bought fried chicken from the deli for about 1/7 of the price!

Do you make fried chicken? My mom used to make it. I hate the thought of eating the skin, yuck.

Give me your recipes, please.

One time we were lost in the city and stopped to ask for directions. A young woman said, "Yeah, you go down here to the light and at the churches make a left."

We went on our way, got to the light, did NOT see any churches anywhere. What WAS she talking about?

Oh, we must be new here. Church's chicken, just like kfc.

Anyway, I'm really bummed out tonight. I don't care what time it is. I am not going to make fried chicken tonight. But I do have cole slaw.

I haven't made fried chicken for a long time, either.  I used to love KFC, but went there recently for a church potluck.  You were wise to walk out; I didn't.  The bucket of 10 pieces that I purchased (for $20 or so) had at least four tiny wings in it.  If I'd asked for "no wings" it would have become a "custom bucket" and I would have been charged more.  It wasn't until the next day at the potluck, when I saw the containers from the local grocery store's deli, that I realized that's what I should have done. 

Homemade does sound good, though.  I recall liking the kind that had cornflakes in the breading (I loooove the skin!). 

I make my grandma's fried chicken which she fried in the oven (so good and always perfectly cooked!) probably once a month.

It does use chicken with skin on it, but we all peel the skin off. That skin keeps the chicken so moist though.

Ugh. Now I want fried chicken!

I don't make fried chicken, but both of my grandmothers used to cook it in a cast iron skillet and it was delicious.  My mom does too.  She dips it in egg, drops it in a paper bag that holds flour, salt, pepper and a few other spices, shakes it, then fries it in the cast iron skillet.  She does some with and some without skin.  Every time I think of fried chicken now, I think of the movie the Help (the method they use for frying chicken is the same as I described above), and the line "Minnie don't burn chicken."

Well, I don't like to be on here and read about serious stuff every,single,time so I thought fried chicken....In the thread about racism there was a comment about fried chicken and I would rather talk about fried chicken than racism and stereotypes but didn't want to upset anyone by mentioning fried chicken.

I also like chicken tempura but this thread is focused on fried chicken.

Well, I don't like to be on here and read about serious stuff every,single,time so I thought fried chicken....In the thread about racism there was a comment about fried chicken and I would rather talk about fried chicken than racism and stereotypes but didn't want to upset anyone by mentioning fried chicken.

I also like chicken tempura but this thread is focused on fried chicken.

I was just answering your title in a silly, sarcastic way. I have no issue with your topic of fried chicken. It is finger lickin good :D I like casual, fun conversations. Hence, my casual, flippant remark to your title..sorry if I offended you. Hard to hear my expressions through type :) 

My kids like homemade chicken strips. I use chicken tenderloins. Dust with flour, dip in egg, dip in Panko, fry in a cast iron skillet. Last time we discovered that the addition of dry ranch dressing mix to the Panko is extra yummy.

But I hate the mess and the fried food smell in my house for days. So I don't make them very often.

I was just answering your title in a silly, sarcastic way. I have no issue with your topic of fried chicken. It is finger lickin good :D I like casual, fun conversations. Hence, my casual, flippant remark to your title..sorry if I offended you. Hard to hear my expressions through type :)

:) I'm sorry too. I am in no way offended. I thought you were being funny and forgot to attach smiley to my post. I'm not in the mood for offenses.

But I am in the mood for talking about good food. It will distract me from something I would rather not be thinking about.

Now, back to chicken. :hat:

I do not care for ranch dressing at all, not sure I would like a powder packet of it in my chicken recipe. In fact, I hate ranch dressing so much that I will have no dressing at all rather than have ranch. It makes me feel like I'm hearing fingernails on the blackboard. I bet it has a totally different flavor in the batter though, eh?

The only way we make fried chicken is in a pan on the stove after dusting it with flour. And yes we eat it with the skin on. I love the skin, especially on BBQ chicken since it's covered with BBQ sauce.

I think I would not do well with skin on all over it. That gives me the quivers in a bad kind of way.

Do you make it in the frying pan and then put it in the oven?

We use Zatarans fish fry because it doesn't have gluten in it.  To do it the most unhealthy right way dip the chicken in an egg and milk mixture then in the Zatarans, then redip it in the milk and egg and redip it in the Zatarans and then fry.  We usually do boneless skinless chicken tenders this way or chicken wings.  The chicken wings need to be deep fried and cooked until they float about 11-12 minutes.

Fried chicken is one of those things that I don't make at home.  It's too messy, and too much potential for my clumsy self to get injured.  We usually only eat it once or twice a year, and when we do it comes from a fast food chain called Bojangles (I think they have a pretty good presence over most of the southeast?) or a grocery store deli.

I have a grease smell for days in my house anytime I try to fry something.   I'm not sure why that happens, so I quit frying anything.  It's very off-putting. 

I go to Hardees if I'm in the mood for fried chicken.   It's cheaper than KFC and their biscuits are awesome.    Otherwise I do the oven-bake thing if I'm cooking at home.

I tend to do fried cutlets at home. If I'm doing bone-in chicken I just roast it. The easiest recipe is baked. Dip chicken tenders in ranch dressing, then breadcrumbs, then bake.

If I fry it it's more of a production. I cut breasts in half lengthwise, prep seasoned flour, an egg wash with lemon, milk, and hot sauce, and a third pan with breadcrumbs (4C 'flavored' not 'italian'). I dip in all, let it dry, the fry in oil.

I can't hack the deep fried KFC/deli stuff anymore. I used to love it, but my taste buds must be getting old and picky.

We use Zatarans fish fry because it doesn't have gluten in it.  To do it the most unhealthy right way dip the chicken in an egg and milk mixture then in the Zatarans, then redip it in the milk and egg and redip it in the Zatarans and then fry.  We usually do boneless skinless chicken tenders this way or chicken wings.  The chicken wings need to be deep fried and cooked until they float about 11-12 minutes.

I will have to try this! I hate using gluten-free flour. It never works right for me. 

To the OP: We never fry with the skin on. We double dip the chicken to give it more crust, instead. *happy dance*

We dip the chicken in an egg/milk wash, then dip it in flour (with pepper, salt, garlic powder), and repeat the process. Then, put into the hot oil and fry her up. 

I personally love the double dip. Extra crispy, extra yummy! Worth all the time. :)

To the OP: We never fry with the skin on. We double dip the chicken to give it more crust, instead. *happy dance*

We dip the chicken in an egg/milk wash, then dip it in flour (with pepper, salt, garlic powder), and repeat the process. Then, put into the hot oil and fry her up. 

I personally love the double dip. Extra crispy, extra yummy! Worth all the time. :)

We double dip as well. Milk, then seasoned flour. If we are just having regular fried chicken, the seasoning is salt, black pepper, and paprika. If we are having chicken sliders, it is garlic powder, onion salt, paprika, and a mix of black and red pepper. Hmm.. this is making me want fired chicken. I don't remember the last time we had it.

I will have to try this! I hate using gluten-free flour. It never works right for me. 

I don't remember if it says specifically gf but dh is really sensitive to gluten and has never reacted.  We buy this one http://www.amazon.com/ZATARAINS-Seasoned-Fish-Fri-5-75-pounds/dp/B0016PO12G/ref=sr_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1418216165&sr=1-3&keywords=zatarain%27s

I buy the big one because we tend to use it for coating chicken, fish, green tomatoes, etc.

My kids like homemade chicken strips. I use chicken tenderloins. Dust with flour, dip in egg, dip in Panko, fry in a cast iron skillet. Last time we discovered that the addition of dry ranch dressing mix to the Panko is extra yummy.

But I hate the mess and the fried food smell in my house for days. So I don't make them very often.

This is how I make them and they are AWESOME in a salad the next day. They're better cold than hot, I think.  Ds lives for these so I make them about once a month. (Moderation and all, ya know)

Panko makes them so light and crispy!!

My family really likes fried chicken, but it makes such a mess that I only make it twice a years. I dont do anything fancy. I make it just the way my mom and grandma did. I don't use egg or milk. Just coat with the seasoned flour and fry in Crisco. It is the only reason I have Crisco in my house. Chicken fried in vegetable oil doesn't taste the same.

You are all killing me.  Before reading this, I pulled chicken thighs out of the freezer to make oven fried chicken tonight.  I was hoping to find my Golden Ticket (recipe) here. I was to try something a little different.  Any tried and true recipes for oven fried so I don't have to resort to googling?  And skin on, all the way!! That's the best part, as long as it's done right!

We usually buy it from Publix grocery because theirs has really good seasoning. Their Mardi-gras seasoned wings arw good too. Lemony with rosemary.

Occasionally I do make it. Only occasionally as it is too much work!

Cook's Illustrated recipe. Brine it in salted buttermilk, brown in the skillet

(I use lard from pastured pigs!) then finish in the oven. Yummy.

You are all killing me.  Before reading this, I pulled chicken thighs out of the freezer to make oven fried chicken tonight.  I was hoping to find my Golden Ticket (recipe) here. I was to try something a little different.  Any tried and true recipes for oven fried so I don't have to resort to googling?  And skin on, all the way!! That's the best part, as long as it's done right!

Yes!!

Barefoot Contessa's recipe for Oven Fried Chicken is amazingly delicious.  You do fry the chicken for just a few minutes on the stove, then put it in the oven to finish.  It's SO much less greasy than actually frying the chicken the whole time.

I never soak the chicken in buttermilk overnight because I always forget.  And who plans the day ahead for dinner?  Not me! I've had it soak for as little as an hour- more is definitely better, but the buttermilk makes all the difference in the world.

Oven Fried Chicken

2  chickens (3 pounds each) — cut in 8 serving pieces

1  quart  buttermilk

2  cups  all-purpose flour

1  tablespoon  kosher salt

1 tablespoon  freshly ground black pepper

Vegetable oil or vegetable shortening

Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl and pour the buttermilk over them. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Take the chicken out of the buttermilk and coat each piece thoroughly with the flour mixture. Pour the oil into a large heavy-bottomed stockpot to a depth of 1-inch and heat to 360 degrees F on a thermometer.

Working in batches, carefully place several pieces of chicken in the oil and fry for about 3 minutes on each side until the coating is a light golden brown (it will continue to brown in the oven). Don’t crowd the pieces. Remove the chicken from the oil and place each piece on a metal baking rack set on a sheet pan. Allow the oil to return to 360 degrees F before frying the next batch. When all the chicken is fried, bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink inside. Serve hot.

I make two types of fried chicken. 

One is my GF chicken nuggets, which are for the boys, and involve breading. That's an involved, messy job, but they freeze well, so I tend to make them in batches, freeze, and fry in a skillet. Haven't quite got that one stream-lined enough for a set recipe yet. Still tinkering. So far it involves a dry rub for the chicken bites to soak in for a few hours in bag in the fridge, followed by a batter dip with buttermilk and egg, then a flouring in all-purpose GF blend (usually brown rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch flavored with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, etc. Whatever I like.

For actual fried chicken, GF style, I don't use breading at all. I dust my chicken pieces (usually thighs, legs and breast pieces cut in half) with salt, pepper, a little bit of sugar and various spices, and put them all in a cast iron skillet on low to medium heat. I go out of my way to crowd the skillet, which means that the chicken sort of fries in it's own fat mostly. I start skin side down. I fry it until it's done, turning it once. I check the temperature on each piece before getting it out of the pan. It's not like regular fried chicken, but it's pretty good.

Yes!!

Barefoot Contessa's recipe for Oven Fried Chicken is amazingly delicious.  You do fry the chicken for just a few minutes on the stove, then put it in the oven to finish.  It's SO much less greasy than actually frying the chicken the whole time.

You are wonderful! I think I will try this tonight. I appreciate that you understand I need real directions, lol. :drool5:

:) I'm sorry too. I am in no way offended. I thought you were being funny and forgot to attach smiley to my post. I'm not in the mood for offenses.

But I am in the mood for talking about good food. It will distract me from something I would rather not be thinking about.

Now, back to chicken. :hat:

I do not care for ranch dressing at all, not sure I would like a powder packet of it in my chicken recipe. In fact, I hate ranch dressing so much that I will have no dressing at all rather than have ranch. It makes me feel like I'm hearing fingernails on the blackboard. I bet it has a totally different flavor in the batter though, eh?

You know, every time I add the ranch packets to batter or burgers, the flavor disappears. I've decided it's just like putting a dollar in the mix just because. It never tastes ranchy to me and always a big let down

I don't make fried chicken, but both of my grandmothers used to cook it in a cast iron skillet and it was delicious. My mom does too. She dips it in egg, drops it in a paper bag that holds flour, salt, pepper and a few other spices, shakes it, then fries it in the cast iron skillet. She does some with and some without skin. Every time I think of fried chicken now, I think of the movie the Help (the method they use for frying chicken is the same as I described above), and the line "Minnie don't burn chicken."

My mom fried chicken this way - it was the best! But what an operation - the kitchen counter would be covered with everything you mentioned, plus a large area of flattened brown paper bags to set the chicken on after cooking.

The first time I attempted to fry chicken in my own first apartment, I set the pan on fire. Nowadays I don't fry in the house. For the rare fried dish, we use an outside gas fryer.

You know, every time I add the ranch packets to batter or burgers, the flavor disappears. I've decided it's just like putting a dollar in the mix just because. It never tastes ranchy to me and always a big let down

I've never added it to burgers, but I did find that I needed to add quite a bit to flavor my chicken strips. And then I have to watch the salt elsewhere because it really ratchets up the salt level. Still, I wouldn't say it tastes "ranchy". Just sort of adds another layer of savory-ness (is that a real word?) :D

I make my grandma's fried chicken which she fried in the oven (so good and always perfectly cooked!) probably once a month.

It does use chicken with skin on it, but we all peel the skin off. That skin keeps the chicken so moist though.

Ugh. Now I want fried chicken!

Recipe pretty please?

I've never added it to burgers, but I did find that I needed to add quite a bit to flavor my chicken strips. And then I have to watch the salt elsewhere because it really ratchets up the salt level. Still, I wouldn't say it tastes "ranchy". Just sort of adds another layer of savory-ness (is that a real word?) :D

You might look for recipes for ranch spices and just eliminate or reduce the salt.   I'm not on a low salt diet but I don't like the too much salt taste.   So I keep jars or homemade ranch and taco seasonings.    

Oh man, I looooove fried chicken but very rarely have it, most places use MSG (in one of its myriad forms) in the seasoning so I can't eat it.  

I tried to make it about 7 years ago, when DH was at sea and I was craving it.  Did I mention that DH is the cook in the family?  I found a recipe and tried it, what a catastrophe.  I'm not sure a CSI arson team could have identified it  :huh: and the pan was not able to be recovered.

Recipe pretty please?

Not really a recipe since I just watched my grandma make it and did what she did!

Bone-in chicken pieces with skin (I use two breasts and 6 legs for my crew)

seasoned salt 

black pepper

flour (about 2 cups)

2 eggs, beaten until well mixed

canola oil, lard, or other oil used for frying

extra large cast iron skillet or cookie sheet with sides

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using oil, pour enough in skillet or cookie sheet until the bottom is barely covered. If using lard or some other solid, place pan in oven while it's heating to melt the lard. Sprinkle chicken pieces liberally with seasoned salt and black pepper. Roll chicken in flour until lightly coated. Dip chicken in egg. Roll chicken in flour again until thoroughly covered. Place chicken pieces in skillet or on cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Turn chicken over and bake for another 30 minutes. 

I love fire chicken, and I make amazing frid chicken. Honestly, I don't care about the chicken. I only want the skin.

Maybe we can eat it together, and I'll eat all the skin and you can have the rest and we'll be a happy, happy pair. Because my mom makes the best fried chicken, and I copy hers. Super crisp, super moist, crazy good flavor. Yum.